Has The Smile Departed Los?

thaibeachlovers

Back ( a very long time ago ) when I first arrived in Thailand it really was LOS.

Now though, I rarely see a Thai smile, unless it's part of their job ( like hotel receptionist, shop assistant ). This applies as much in the village as in the city.

Anyone else noticed this?

I'm not talking about people interacting with myself, just people going about their lives, passing by.

It is also evident that girls don't hold hands with each other, like they used to, while walking about. I rarely see that anymore, though it used to be commonplace.

I previously noticed the phenomenon in Fiji. One trip the place was full of genuine smiles, and then a few years later, gone.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most things and places, time moves on, people and places change, time stops for no man. Reflecting and comparing what once was is sign of growing older, its just inevitable, sadly.

Hmmmm, I don't see that just because time moves on people stop smiling. That's depressing if it's inevitable in today's world. Surely there must be a reason for it?

It is also evident that girls don't hold hands with each other, like they used to, while walking about. I rarely see that anymore, though it used to be commonplace.

-

Word got out that foreigners thought same-sex couples holding hands meant they were gay.

-

Word got out that foreigners thought same-sex couples holding hands meant they were gay.

And i thought that stating the obvious once,.. sufficed....

• Like 1

Up to you, if you smile first instead of doing the typical Farang 'avoid eye contact' thing, you may be surprised. In any country.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that you have seen me out and about, avoiding eye contact with everyone!

BTW, unless young and good looking, try "smiling" at women in the west, and they'll be hassling you for being a pervert.

I would like to add this, TBL.

If you don't smile to the mirror, the mirror don't smile back.

I'm not talking about people interacting with me, as I already said in the OP, just people going about their lives.

And you claim to have the ability to observe and summarise this, like another poster here?

I am leaving this dicussion.wai.gif

-

I can see that affecting girls in tourist areas, but they don't do it anymore in back of beyond where there are no farangs, like where I live, either.

I would like to add this, TBL.

If you don't smile to the mirror, the mirror don't smile back.

I'm not talking about people interacting with me, as I already said in the OP, just people going about their lives.

And you claim to have the ability to observe and summarise this, like another poster here?

I am leaving this dicussion.wai.gif

Bye bye, don't hit your head on the way out thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Up to you, if you smile first instead of doing the typical Farang 'avoid eye contact' thing, you may be surprised. In any country.

So true, OP have you ever thought that it is because you are wearing different tinted spectacles that when you first came here.

• Like 1

So true, OP have you ever thought that it is because you are wearing different tinted spectacles that when you first came here.

No, see swissie for someone that was here more than a couple of years.

Thailand was indeed a different country back then, but I was hoping that someone could come up with a reason for the change. People are generally better off now, but obviously unhappier than they used to be.

Thailand was indeed a different country back then, but I was hoping that someone could come up with a reason for the change. People are generally better off now, but obviously unhappier than they used to be.

Very interesting, but how did you come to reach this conclusion TBC?

The "reason" for the changes is that time has passed, and everything but everything changes with time, including the perceptions and attitudes of yourself the observer.

Economic development has been rapid so traditional values and ways of life are eroding.

All around the world globalisation is creating homogeneity, and rarely for the better.

So it goes.

• Like 1

Don't want to spill your sherry, but.. This afternoon along route 21

attachicon.gifSMILE.JPG

I got 6 smiles just from a glance...

Agreed. Thais still smile nicely to me often and I have been here longer than 15 years.. The OP must be doing something wrong.

044_Tajska2_01122_thumb%255B2%255D.jpg?i

Agreed, Let's keep it simple guys. smile.pngthumbsup.gif Is he right or wrong?

Don't want to spill your sherry, but.. This afternoon along route 21

attachicon.gifSMILE.JPG

I got 6 smiles just from a glance...

Agreed. Thais still smile nicely to me often and I have been here longer than 15 years.. The OP must be doing something wrong.

044_Tajska2_01122_thumb%255B2%255D.jpg?i

Agreed, Let's keep it simple guys. smile.pngthumbsup.gif Is he right or wrong?

He is wrong.

• Like 1

Try Issan. Lots of smiles. All genuine.

I was recently in Krabi. Outside of the tourist zone, lots of smiles. Even in Hua Hin out at the military hospital rehab center where we spent a lot of time on the beach last week , everyone smiled at me, even those dour faced NCOs and I was probably the only farang around. Get out of the tourist zones and you'll get lots of sincere warm smiles.

Try Issan. Lots of smiles. All genuine.

I was recently in Krabi. Outside of the tourist zone, lots of smiles. Even in Hua Hin out at the military hospital rehab center where we spent a lot of time on the beach last week , everyone smiled at me, even those dour faced NCOs and I was probably the only farang around. Get out of the tourist zones and you'll get lots of sincere warm smiles.

Jeez GK, I haven't been in a tourist zone for a year. Good to hear about Issan.

Very interesting, but how did you come to reach this conclusion TBC?

I thought you had left?

Observation, observation.

• Like 2