Twin Bomb Explosions Shatter Boston Marathon Finish Line

SeaVisionBurma

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officials: Boston suspects appear motivated by religion, but not tied to Islamic terror groups

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/officials-boston-suspects-appear-motivated-by-religion-but-not-tied-to-islamic-terror-groups/2013/04/22/4fbd14fc-ab9d-11e2-9493-2ff3bf26c4b4_story.html

Interesting legal question developing. How much longer can terror boy be considered an "Enemy Combatant" if his story is confirmed that they were not part of any organized cell etc... Seems to me they will have to mirandize him soon and read him his rights, and give him an attorney.

He is an enemy combatent, the enemy is an ideology, not a Country, just as the 9/11 hijackers represented an ideology, and not Afghanistan the Country we invaded. The sooner the government wakes up and sees things in these terms the quicker the root cause can be addressed instead of the symptoms.

Agreed.

But i dont think any sitting president looks forward to charging a citizen, regardless of how repulsive his actions may have been, with that charge. I dont blame them, and i'm thinking that the marandizing means at least a couple of things. 1) they do not believe he has any information to share that would relate, in even a remote way, to a eminent threat to the US, 2) They have enough evidence to convict to the highest punishment, regardless of how he is charged.

I hope they are right.

They could always get him on the attempted murder and hit and run as a backup whistling.gif

Officials: Boston suspects appear motivated by religion, but not tied to Islamic terror groups

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/officials-boston-suspects-appear-motivated-by-religion-but-not-tied-to-islamic-terror-groups/2013/04/22/4fbd14fc-ab9d-11e2-9493-2ff3bf26c4b4_story.html

Interesting legal question developing. How much longer can terror boy be considered an "Enemy Combatant" if his story is confirmed that they were not part of any organized cell etc... Seems to me they will have to mirandize him soon and read him his rights, and give him an attorney.

He is an enemy combatent, the enemy is an ideology, not a Country, just as the 9/11 hijackers represented an ideology, and not Afghanistan the Country we invaded. The sooner the government wakes up and sees things in these terms the quicker the root cause can be addressed instead of the symptoms.

Agreed.

But i dont think any sitting president looks forward to charging a citizen, regardless of how repulsive his actions may have been, with that charge. I dont blame them, and i'm thinking that the marandizing means at least a couple of things. 1) they do not believe he has any information to share that would relate, in even a remote way, to a eminent threat to the US, 2) They have enough evidence to convict to the highest punishment, regardless of how he is charged.

I hope they are right.

They could always get him on the attempted murder and hit and run as a backup whistling.gif

The prosecutor can always amend the criminal complaint (and likely will in this case) after more evidence is confirmed that supports probable cause for the new crimes. Wouldn't surprise me to see this thing including traffic violations and zoning ordinance violations for keeping bombs in the house before they're done. Lots of angry people out there to soothe. Seriously though, the meat of the matter is already in the original complaint.

• Like 1

Here's Michael Coren commenting on Miranda rights, press denial and leftist delusion. P.S Some devout Muslims have been arrested in Canada plotting to blow up a train as it crossed Niagara falls from Canada into the U.S. They were PHD researchers, so obviously social deprivation and poverty alienated then,

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/prime-time/867432237001/the-vast-majority-of-muslims-are-not-terrorists-but/2319464949001

This is a pretty scary new kind of terrorist. (essentially) Home grown, no need to go away to foreign terror training. Little planning. Hard to track and catch before the event.

For all the power of the two explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line, and for all the dramatic gun fights on the streets of Watertown, and for all the suppositions about the role of disciplined, well-trained terrorists, the college student reportedly told investigators the whole attack was devised from the Internet. The two brothers, he said, had no direction or financing from governments or rogue groups overseas.

Authorities tell ABC News they now believe the two foreign-born brothers were inspired to violence by the Internet preaching's of al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki, the charismatic American-born radical jihadist, who has been dead now for more than a year. They used instructions from an al Qaeda Internet magazine to make their pressure cooker bombs. And Dzhokhar, the younger of the brothers, may not have even known about the plot until a week or so before the attack, sources told ABC News. Seth Jones, a counter-terror expert at the RAND Corporation, said the attack's simplicity and home grown origins may wind up being some of the most chilling aspects the Boston bombing.

"This is kind of the al Qaeda modus operandi now, not relying only on operatives, but trying to get people do it yourself radicalization to build their own bombs without coming to a training camp in Pakistan or Yemen or other locations," Jones said.

"They ad-libbed part of it and made some decisions on a few elements of the bomb making but what's different about this is they took a very simple recipe and then targeted the Boston Marathon," Jones said. "And why the marathon? Because it was there, essentially, and easy. Not long in the planning."

http://gma.yahoo.com/simple-boston-bomb-plot-hatched-without-foreign-help-082418368--abc-news-topstories.html

Edited by keemapoot

The younger brother also claims that he only knew about the plot a week before it happened. I*'m sorry, but that sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Since when do we take the word of someone who just killed and maimed innocent people and ruined a lot of lives in an act of terrorism?

• Like 2

This is a pretty scary new kind of terrorist. (essentially) Home grown, no need to go away to foreign terror training. Little planning. Hard to track and catch before the event.

For all the power of the two explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line, and for all the dramatic gun fights on the streets of Watertown, and for all the suppositions about the role of disciplined, well-trained terrorists, the college student reportedly told investigators the whole attack was devised from the Internet. The two brothers, he said, had no direction or financing from governments or rogue groups overseas.

Authorities tell ABC News they now believe the two foreign-born brothers were inspired to violence by the Internet preaching's of al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki, the charismatic American-born radical jihadist, who has been dead now for more than a year. They used instructions from an al Qaeda Internet magazine to make their pressure cooker bombs. And Dzhokhar, the younger of the brothers, may not have even known about the plot until a week or so before the attack, sources told ABC News. Seth Jones, a counter-terror expert at the RAND Corporation, said the attack's simplicity and home grown origins may wind up being some of the most chilling aspects the Boston bombing.

"This is kind of the al Qaeda modus operandi now, not relying only on operatives, but trying to get people do it yourself radicalization to build their own bombs without coming to a training camp in Pakistan or Yemen or other locations," Jones said.

"They ad-libbed part of it and made some decisions on a few elements of the bomb making but what's different about this is they took a very simple recipe and then targeted the Boston Marathon," Jones said. "And why the marathon? Because it was there, essentially, and easy. Not long in the planning."

http://gma.yahoo.com/simple-boston-bomb-plot-hatched-without-foreign-help-082418368--abc-news-topstories.html

Yes, this is the new reality and it is chilling.

Foreign based terrorists had to give up on the hard targets such as embassies, installations civilian or military, or civilian or military personnel assigned to installations or the various government facilities.

Then they had to ease up substantially on the soft targets in the homelands such as public transportation, airliners especially, but also buses, trains etc. They simply passed up other tough to defend targets such as malls, stadiums etc, however, I'd always wondered why. I think the Marathon may be a rough equivalent to attacking a stadium full of people, players.

But now, as we see in Boston and in Canada, in-country terrorists have more confidence and the attitude required to commit their acts of war or other murderous crimes, which ever may apply. In Boston the elder brother was a malcontent but perhaps not criminally insane - on that point we'll never know. Sociopath, perhaps. In Canada we have PhD types whose real purpose is terrorism..

As I've posted, my Thailand experience in the South was horrendous - those people are awful and they know they are awful, and they are pleased with themselves and proud of it. Folk in Malaysia were very much beyond that, so we need to and should continue to make distinctions.

However, we may have to be the people who have the task and burden of identifying who is "normal" and who is not. The CIA found early on in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc that the terrorists are seldom crazed lunatics, but rather everyday people who get caught up in an horrendous course of action because their views are reactionary and rigid, as with the elder brother carrying on one time at the mosque when a speaker advanced a non-Muslim role model, MLK Jr.

The domestic danger is new to us, so we need to be both vigilant and prudent as we find our way among others.

• Like 2

^ I can see this new domestic terror threat resulting in the Muslim community, especially Mosques & Imams, coming under more intense scrutiny, observation, and attention from the intelligence community, Homeland Security, and law enforcement. It also ushers in probably even more intense internet activity monitoring of those with Islamic connections, perhaps even by the awesome NSA in some expanded definition of foreign threat. This can't be good for Muslims in America who are already on their back foot since 9/11, nor for attitudes toward U.S. Muslims by many Americans.

We may have just witnessed the best and worst of America. The pulling together to get the injured help and the suspects apprehended was great. The police state look was not so great. I have read that it cost $33 million over the two days of the search. We had people locked in their homes and the likely outcome that somebody innocent would get shot all to catch a 19 year old on foot. We don't need that kind of a reaction.

Yeah 3 were murdered and many more wounded but; the crashing of the gold and silver markets that happened on the same day could ultimately kill a 100,000,000 around the world. We as Americans do have to keep things in perspective. We can just trash the Constitution whenever it pleases us. The bill for that will be unpayable.

I think most, maybe all, Massachusetts residents have responded positively to law enforcement's handling of the situation from Monday's catastrophe through the final capture. At least that's been my read through my family and friends in Boston, Arlington, Cambridge, Waltham and Newton, and from all the public praise. As a life-long resident of Massachusetts I have no issues with how things were handled, save my one concern was the amount of bullets discharged in the first fire-fight in Watertown. But maybe, given my familiarity and ties to the region, my perceptions are clouded?

Many of us took a federal oath to defend the US Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. It is the first priority of evey federal officer involved. If the Constitution goes, it all goes and nothing is going to matter. If we are thinking clearly, we are only conisidering the attack on the Constitution.

Naturally, State and Local agencies will have their responsibilities assigned by the govenor and the mayors to work within the State and local framework. The Federal guys are there to uphold the terms of the US Constitution.

That is the core point, thanks. When I read your post it prompted me to ask myself why I hadn't written it myself. Sometimes we do get involved in the minute to minute and hour to hour things, which can lead some of us temporarily lose sight of the core matter that it always is the Constitution we must consider as of the paramount importance. (I capitalize the word too.)

So yes, those of us who have taken that oath - to the Constitution - do so knowingly and with a great sense of responsibility. Some of us have taken the oath several times, at different times, for certain specific purposes, but it's to the same Constitution. Many of its original writers said the document was divinely inspired, but no one claimed it to be divine. That said, it continues to be "perfected" as we develop our society further.

I do believe that when state and local police and other enforcement personnel, and public office holders to include teachers, sign the employment contract they must also take the oath to the Constitution. And yes, local police especially don't think of it as much as others might, given local police are often responding to domestic disputes, neighborhood shootouts etc. The reports from the confrontation with the little brother in the backyard boat are that the Feds had to hold back the local police of Massachusetts lest they just go in and kill the guy, so the Feds also have a certain professionalism as well as consciousness concerning the oath.

By all appropriate, considered, deliberate means, the Constitution comes first. Your life, my life, needs be subordinated to that. I see that the suspect was duly Mirandized and has a defense lawyer provided by the State. Good for all of us. Now comes the due diligence of due process.

The point is not to convict subject number 2. There is already plenty of evidence against him. The point of deeming him an enemy combatant would be to get valuable intelligence on whether he was recruited, who trained him and who else was involved before they can flee the country. Once a criminal defense lawyer becomes involved, the likelihood of him answering those questions are very low.

I haven't seen any major news sources cover this yet but there's chatter that the mosque of the suspects may not be the innocent place as they made themselves out to be.

bombing-suspects-imam-affiliated-with-muslim-brotherhood-front-group?

I've been wondering how the older brother can be tossed out for having too extremist views, but return the next few days for prayers, COUPLE TIMES!blink.png I know second chances are a virtue, but in this day and age, where not all Muslims are terrorists, but it seem all terrorists are Muslims, this type of behavior would get you permanently barred. Just like his uncle did to him!

This onion gets smellier and smellier the more you peel back the layers.

• Like 2

Agreed.

I hope they are right.

They could always get him on the attempted murder and hit and run as a backup

Oh don't forget, he ran over his brother in front of police, he was trying to run over,

manslaughter and a host of attempted murder charges, he fired at police from the boat,

He may or may not have fired at police before that but would be held culpable

for his brothers actions by acting in concert knowingly in a capital crime;

Attempted murder of a police officer.

Worst case of a bungled state prosecution,

he still won't see freedom from Federal prosecution.

There will be some PR issues with executing him. His youth of course and it will help him that he looks like a candidate for a boy band. If executed, he would be the youngest federal execution. If he gets life, he'll probably have about 100,000 mentally unstable women proposing marriage to him.

I think they're going to investigate the available evidence exhaustively and there is a chance that will be enough information about what happened to not need anything he is going to say in a plea bargain. Of course if he's got some really vital information about active terror cells that can be verified he'd have a strong card. I doubt he has anything like that.

The people crowing about charging as an enemy status are just playing a right wing Obama isn't tough enough game for partisan political advantages. The decision to treat him as any citizen is the right way to go. He is a citizen. (Unfortunately, that was a mistake granting him that.)

People have probably heard the FBI didn't even know about dead Tamerlan's trip to Russia (which was after the FBI interviewed him) because Russian immigration spelled his name wrong!

When the FBI came to interview and told the mother they were concerned about his Jihadist internet activities, the mother got all agitated and yelling that in America people have the right to read and post anything. Interesting that she played the American freedom card given what we know now about both her sons and even her.

They are reopening the investigation of the unsolved triple murder and looking at Tamerlan. This was definitely a weird murder. Three slit throats, done on Sept 11 (anniversary of terror), marijuana thrown on the bodies (sounds like a morality message), and most significantly large amounts of cash left there, not stolen. Brendan Mess who was reportedly Tamerlan's best American friend was one of the victims and probably the other two victims were Jews. Tamerlan did NOT attend any funeral or memorial functions for Mr. Mess, supposedly his closest friend. The police knew it wasn't a forced break in. Why didn't they suspect Tamerlan before? If he did it and was busted before we'd never know his name. Usually close people are people of interest. Of course Tamerlan is dead so he can't be punished any more.

I like this angle. Both parents really are pieces or work:

​You can’t expect witnesses to report every fanatical outburst to the
FBI. But when family members are repeatedly exposed to signs that a
loved one is drifting into the vortex of violent extremism, they have a
duty to intervene, or at least to alert someone. If they don’t, and the
fanatic becomes a killer, they bear an awful responsibility. If they
deny that responsibility by accusing the police and the government of
anti-Islamic conspiracies, they forfeit our sympathy, our respect, and
our trust. Police your family. Police your congregation. Police your
community. If you don’t, the rest of us will do it for you.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2013/04/the_boston_bombers_parents_anzor_tsarnaev_and_zubeidat_tsarnaeva_are_full.html

Edited by Jingthing

....a very interesting read - on how social media/internet sleuths during dynamic news events can get it wrong some time....

Reddit apologises for Boston online witch hunts

Reddit has apologised for its role in fuelling the social media witch hunts for the Boston bombings suspects.

Some of the activity on Reddit fuelled online witch hunts and dangerous speculation which spiralled into very negative consequences for innocent parties.

Erik Martin, Reddit general manager

The social news website became one of the must-reads last week for the latest news and thoughts on the Boston Marathon bombings. But it also became a place for amateur sleuths to gather and share their conspiracy theories and other ideas on who may have committed the crimes.

The online witch hunts ended up implicating several innocent people, including Sunil Tripathi, a 22-year-old Brown University student who went missing last month. After viewing the FBI's photos of the suspects on Thursday, Redditors became convinced that Tripathi was one of the bombers, with countless posts gleefully pointing out the physical similarities between Tripathi and Suspect #2, who ended up being 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Advertisement

The growing wave of suspicion surrounding Tripathi led his family to release a statement the next day saying they knew "unequivocally" their son was not involved.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/technology/technology-news/reddit-apologises-for-boston-online-witch-hunts-20130423-2ibbt.html#ixzz2RFT8o7wY

At least Reddit has got the cojones to admit they were hideously wrong and smeared some innocent people. Shame that some of our very own TV Inspector Clouseau types can't summon up the decency to do likewise. Edited by folium
  • Like 2

Didn't Tamerlan technically under the law die a presumed to be innocent man as he hasn't even been charged with anything? coffee1.gif

OK, now there is a report that Dzhokhar has cited opposition to U.S. involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan as their primary motivation in the extreme anti-American radicalization leading to the terror attacks.

Dzhokhar has claimed no ties to foreign terror groups except to get into and inspiration from internet sources. So far the feds have no evidence to counter that. If this turns out to be true, it doesn't seem to me that Dzhokhar will have anything of value to plea bargain for his life (if he cares).

The SUV owner that had his vehicle hijacked was told that they weren't going to kill him because he wasn't an American. Implying if he was an American they would kill him. Of course the SUV owner was wise not to fully trust that promise and escaped himself while the terrorists were buying snacks at a gas station.

Fox News reports (not sure it's true) that the SUV sported a Coexist bumper sticker. These are popular on cars of American liberals, promoting a message of religious tolerance and understanding.

post-37101-0-41140600-1366738975_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Internment?!

Whatever next? Rounding up your fellow citizens and interning them without trial is a total disaster and only serves to provide a massive surge in support for the supposed bad guys. See the fiasco of internment in Ulster in 1971.

Something similar in the USA today would make Abu Ghraib look like a minor misdemeanour and would achieve exactly what the terrorists want, namely a massive over-reaction that radicalises a vast section of society. Why not just expel all Muslims......Strewth!

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

Easy f, cheesy.gif

I had a similar reaction, but not as eloquent.whistling.gif Mine has some f bombs included, and I've already used up my TV silver bullet for the week, so i just bit my tongue.

I think the post was just an emotional reaction. I even had the thought go thru my head, mostly in reflecting back to WWII.

Internment just wouldn't be practical now, is wrong morally, and would further aide our foes. its a trifecta of bureaucratic lunacy which is why it needs to be stated and the idea needs to be beaten down with a bat.

but if the home grown terrorists activities increases and the rate accelerates you can bet some will start calling for it seriously, the past lessons be damned.

I'm hoping for self regulation and self policing myself. Got my fingers crossed.

Well, that's the spin of the defense lawyers, trying to lay a groundwork with the public that this is just a "misguided little kid."

The headline is very misleading too - not surprising coming from the media.

They aren't really saying there are holes in the case, or even implying that he might not be convicted. They are laying the groundwork to avoid the death penalty in favor of life in prison, by trying to influence potential jurors using the public media.

I can't write here what I think of lawyers, as a whole a-hole whores.

Edited by NeverSure

Islamic Leader Issues Tough Response to Fellow Muslims on Bombings and Extremism: Drop the ‘We Are the Victims’ Mentality

Finally speaking out link

Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser, a conservative author, activist and the president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy (AIFD), has a message for Muslim Americans: Step up to the plate and work diligently to combat Islamism and extremism. Jasser spoke withTheBlaze this week about his reaction to the Boston Marathon terror attack and his views on steps that should be taken within Islamic circles to prevent further extremism.

I wouldn't call it "the light at the end of the tunnel". Its more like trying to look at Andromeda with naked eye. A fuzzy patch that you cant see if you look directly at it, but you know its there.

More and more Muslim voices are starting to chime .

Albeit a conservative one in this case.

Hey, I'll take what i can getwhistling.gif

• Like 1

It's easy enough for a Muslim to speak that message in America. Try it in Egypt. coffee1.gif

Last time I looked Boston was in the USA rather than Egypt....so appreciate the sentiment from a distinguished US citizen who is striving to do the right thing.

• Like 1

It's easy enough for a Muslim to speak that message in America. Try it in Egypt. coffee1.gif

Last time I looked Boston was in the USA rather than Egypt....so appreciate the sentiment from a distinguished US citizen who is striving to do the right thing.

The terrorists in this Boston case got bomb making information and inspiration from INTERNATIONALLY based so called Islamic leaders. Borders aren't what they used to be. There is no isolation anymore except maybe North Korea.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Didn't Tamerlan technically under the law die a presumed to be innocent man as he hasn't even been charged with anything? coffee1.gif

While Tamerlan might have been technically innocent until found guilty, throwing bombs and shooting semi-automatic weapons at the police might be a fair presumption of guilt in their minds at the time.

The point is not to convict subject number 2. There is already plenty of evidence against him. The point of deeming him an enemy combatant would be to get valuable intelligence on whether he was recruited, who trained him and who else was involved before they can flee the country. Once a criminal defense lawyer becomes involved, the likelihood of him answering those questions are very low.

I think in cases like this, the perps are very willing to talk. They want to get their views across, to explain why they did it etc. Once they open their mouths they just keep on talking. The surviving brother has already been cooperative. These two idiots were not overly bright and left a long trail of information. A search of their laptops and phone records will provide enough info to see who they were talking to. The surviving kid has to be scared as it dawns on him the seriousness of what he did. He'll spill his guts particularly if the government is willing to take the death penalty off the table.

Internment?!

Whatever next? Rounding up your fellow citizens and interning them without trial is a total disaster and only serves to provide a massive surge in support for the supposed bad guys. See the fiasco of internment in Ulster in 1971.

Something similar in the USA today would make Abu Ghraib look like a minor misdemeanour and would achieve exactly what the terrorists want, namely a massive over-reaction that radicalises a vast section of society. Why not just expel all Muslims......Strewth!

Millions of US citizens would take to the street protesting. The last thing the US economy can afford is more prisons.