The "riding A Motorcycle In Thailand Is A Recipe For Dying" Thread

Frightfully dangerous, yes. Probably unreasonable to do it, but... those of us who teach here can't afford cars, so that's it - either ride a motorbike or just sit at home when the song-taew's not running (or not going where you want to go).

Frightfully dangerous, yes. Probably unreasonable to do it, but... those of us who teach here can't afford cars, so that's it - either ride a motorbike or just sit at home when the song-taew's not running (or not going where you want to go).

So, what happened to the Toyota Crapolla?

I ride motorbikes here all the Time, I have a 200cc "chopper", A 200cc Trials bike & a 125cc "scooter" all of which I use in different situations, the scooter shopping in towns, The chopper for long runs & the trials bike in the sticks.I am 50 now & have ridden motorbikes all my life in the UK, I have had one minor accident on Samui when a Thai on a bike & sidecar pulled out, right in front of me, yes I ride defensively & assume everything on the road is out to get me, but with the exception of Bangkok & the other big city's, here I feel safer than riding in the UK...

Although they are probably better drivers there the traffic density of cars, trucks & buses in the UK is far higher & to bikes correspondingly far more dangerous.

Also I can't afford a Car here even if I wanted one so will carry on riding...

• Like 1

There is something you are forgetting, the average Joe here is a Buddhist, so he has "I'll be back" insurance". wai2.gif

yes, but that can backfire on them too . I believe all the morons on the road here will come back as slugs, a nice thought when i have just been cut off by one of them.

Edited by pokerkid

The OP is not artful and his motivation is perhaps not the best (at least not in the view of many here who are motorcycle riders), but there is a useful message -- BE CAREFUL whern you ride. Thailand's roads are very dangerous, especially now during the Songran craziness. Be alert, drive slowly, never drive if you have had too much to drink, always anticipate the potential accident -- some crazy car driver passing a slow moving vehicle or vehicle stopped in the road when you are in your lane (now his). Enjoy riding your bike, but always be safe.... I expect that TV bike riders are the safest riders on the roads in Thailand -- Please keep it that way! Hopefully, we will all have many more years of safe bike riding enjoyment ahead of us.......

• Like 2

The OP is not artful and his motivation is perhaps not the best (at least not in the view of many here who are motorcycle riders), but there is a useful message -- BE CAREFUL whern you ride. Thailand's roads are very dangerous, especially now during the Songran craziness. Be alert, drive slowly, never drive if you have had too much to drink, always anticipate the potential accident -- some crazy car driver passing a slow moving vehicle or vehicle stopped in the road when you are in your lane (now his). Enjoy riding your bike, but always be safe.... I expect that TV bike riders are the safest riders on the roads in Thailand -- Please keep it that way! Hopefully, we will all have many more years of safe bike riding enjoyment ahead of us.......

Good comment, especially the part about TV bikers (being among the) safest on the roads.

To steal a phrase from E. Hamilton Lee;

"Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to (slow down). There are old (bikers) and bold (bikers) but no old, bold (bikers).

maybe OP does not have a bad intention but totally a wrong way for a reminder, yes all of us need to be careful but not only in Thailand but all over the world.

i find Thailand safer to ride than back home. As people know/care motorcycles and tolerant unlike in our countries where jealous maniacs try to kill us with their cars.

Keep the distance!

The OP does not ride nor does he give a crap about riders.

His way is just to decry bikes & bike riding because he deems it unsafe

If you look at the first link in his OP you will see he basically

walked into an obituary & started spouting off this sanctimonious BS

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615216-crazyswede-died-in-a-motorcycle-accident/#entry6067834

In the end the friends of the deceased in that thread asked that the thread be closed because he

had sent the whole thing off in a weird direction when it was suppose to be a moment

to say something about the deceased, RIP or wish him farewell.

No it would be different if this posters intent was to say be careful but that is not his message at all.

Actually, I don't have any problem with motorcycles or motorcycle riding in general.

However, I did start this thread because I've grown tired of reading news report after news report of people here in Thailand, including TV members here, getting needlessly killed or seriously injured in motorcycle accidents, some riders who were driving safe and carefully, and others who clearly were not.

I certainly understand there are some folks here who need to ride motorcycles for commuting to work or other things. But it's equally clear that a lot of farangs here simply ride motorcycles as a hobby.

To all those above basically saying motorcycle riding is your life.... even if you don't care about safeguarding your own well-being, at least give some consideration to what will happen with your wife/GF/children/loved ones before engaging in what, at least in Thailand, is a patently dangerous pastime that over time significantly increases your chances of getting killed or seriously injured, compared to those who don't ride here.

If it's "BS" to be appalled and opposed to people losing their lives needlessly, then I'm certainly in that group.

There is something you are forgetting, the average Joe here is a Buddhist, so he has "I'll be back" insurance". wai2.gif

yes, but that can backfire on them too . I believe all the morons on the road here will come back as slugs, a nice thought when i have just been cut off by one of them.

You obviously don't understand how reincarnation works "you come back as something different". Thais already think they are Stigs in this life.

In some ways I agree with ZyphodB about feeling safer here than in the UK, for two reasons. Western drivers are far more aggressive, "I am in the right and have right of way, so <deleted>", They make many sudden moves, whereas in Thailand they cut you up gently, give you time to react. Does this offset Thai incompetence, I think so...just..

• Like 1

Actually, I don't have any problem with motorcycles or motorcycle riding in general.

However, I did start this thread because I've grown tired of reading news report after news report of people here in Thailand, including TV members here, getting needlessly killed or seriously injured in motorcycle accidents, some riders who were driving safe and carefully, and others who clearly were not.

I certainly understand there are some folks here who need to ride motorcycles for commuting to work or other things. But it's equally clear that a lot of farangs here simply ride motorcycles as a hobby.

To all those above basically saying motorcycle riding is your life.... even if you don't care about safeguarding your own well-being, at least give some consideration to what will happen with your wife/GF/children/loved ones before engaging in what, at least in Thailand, is a patently dangerous pastime that over time significantly increases your chances of getting killed or seriously injured, compared to those who don't ride here.

If it's "BS" to be appalled and opposed to people losing their lives needlessly, then I'm certainly in that group.

dont you just hate it when people from the general forum find there way into the motorbike forum.......

why dont you start a thread titled... sleeping with prostitutes can kill you.... you could put some pictures up of people dying from aids or what about .....riding on thai busses could kill you......again could put pictures up of mangled accident victims....talk about mr doom and gloom

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 2

dont you just hate it when people from the general forum find there way into the motorbike forum.......

why dont you start a thread titled... sleeping with prostitutes can kill you.... you could put some pictures up of people dying from aids or what about .....riding on thai busses could kill you......again could put pictures up of mangled accident victims....talk about mr doom and gloom

You never know, he might start threads such as "Smoking kills" or "Alcohol will ruin your life" or "Getting married means game over" or "Cola will make you obese" or "Convert now to (insert religiion) ; everyone else is going to hell" or ........................

Ahh... I understand now... the "Bikes in Thailand" thread is just about how great it is to ride motorcycles here....and being biker guys...

But let's not talk about all the biker guys who end up getting splattered all over the pavement, and the widowed/orphaned families they leave behind.

Ahh... I understand now... the "Bikes in Thailand" thread is just about how great it is to ride motorcycles here....and being biker guys...

But let's not talk about all the biker guys who end up getting splattered all over the pavement, and the widowed/orphaned families they leave behind.

The insurance forum talks about insurance, the farming forum about farming and horror of horrors, the bike forum talks about bikes.

As a non-biker, you are very welcome to participate in the threads. Everyone's views are welcome and in fact helpful as occasionally, a gold nugget might appear that makes us consider how we are riding etc etc.

However, your thread does not seem to say anything other than list people who have been killed or injured riding a bike. I don't get it. Are you trying to tell us that we should stop riding because of the dangers involved? If so, then your approach should have been more towards the lines of "hey guys, riding's a dangerous activity, be careful out there, but please also enlighten me as to why you ride in spite of the dangers involved". You would get a lot more positive responses (every biker likes to say why they ride).

• Like 1

To me and I think most of us here you ar

The insurance forum talks about insurance, the farming forum about farming and horror of horrors, the bike forum talks about bikes.

As a non-biker, you are very welcome to participate in the threads. Everyone's views are welcome and in fact helpful as occasionally, a gold nugget might appear that makes us consider how we are riding etc etc.

However, your thread does not seem to say anything other than list people who have been killed or injured riding a bike. I don't get it. Are you trying to tell us that we should stop riding because of the dangers involved? If so, then your approach should have been more towards the lines of "hey guys, riding's a dangerous activity, be careful out there, but please also enlighten me as to why you ride in spite of the dangers involved". You would get a lot more positive responses (every biker likes to say why they ride).

he is just a troll barking up the wrong tree, a succesfull troll judging by the response he gets

You never know, he might start threads such as "Smoking kills" or "Alcohol will ruin your life" or "Getting married means game over" or "Cola will make you obese" or "Convert now to (insert religiion) ; everyone else is going to hell" or ........................

I am with you there, in my wife's village another 42 year old died from whiskey drinking, my guess is 50% of the guys there die of booze another 20 of smoking and the ones who die on bikes are either drunk of reckless.

Statistically biking is more dangerous than driving a car, but common sense goes a long way. If you don't ride you won't get it, that the small risk is worth it. I used to climb, prepared well and never had a problem, can't do that now, so I keep the bike up to scratch, don't drive like a fool and......

Iv'e got news for some people out there, if you never go out of the house, you still won't live forever.

Ah well now we are getting to the truth. You do not understand and by the sounds of it you never will.

One day you will die. How or when you do not know. You could have a genetic heart complaint and keel over tomorrow.

But while you are here it might a good idea to feel alive rather than bored and seemingly concerned about others, who you cannot control, or be concerned about things you cannot change.

That you chose not to ride a motorcycle is up to you. For people who wish to ride it is their choice to live a little. That you do not understand that is your loss.

But it does not make riding motorcycles bad. Whether one rides here or in Indonesia or in Laos or anywhere.

Oh and if you drive a car, anyone who posts on here who rides a bike is a better driver than you simply because they do ride a motorcycle. But you won't understand that either.

• Like 1

TallGuyJohninBKK, you could complain about people riding without helmet, riding drunk, riding while using a phone, riding fast or reckless, or whatever. But complain about people just riding motorbike is really a bit strange, at least to do so in a bike forum smile.png

Before reading this thread, I wasn't aware of that biking was a religion. And clearly this subforum is the bible, where you can't even raise the question about the risks of riding a bike.

If the OP has managed to make at least ONE poster here think about driving more carefully, not drinking/driving and use a helmet, then this thread has served its purpose.thumbsup.gif

Often been thinking about, that young Thai kids driving like crazy with no protection whatsoever, when caught by the police, instead of stupid low fines, should be forced to work some time in a longcare unit, where you have young people (accidentvictims), who can not eat themselves and need someone to clean their butt.

I am fully aware of, that most bikers here, probably are experienced and mature bikehandlers, but sometimes a post like the OP is a good reminder of, be careful out there. And I can understand the joy and feeling of freedom by riding, but the crap about we are all going to die, I am not sure you are so tuff when in the ICU ? sad.png

So IMO a very good OP, and yes I do ride a bike thumbsup.gif

Certainly, everyone's free to make choices with their own lives... And if those here want to voluntarily engage in an especially dangerous activity that's going to significantly increase their odds, certainly here in Thailand, of getting injured or killed over time, then that's their choice to make.

But I haven't heard one biker here say anything about their wives, GFs, children, relations, etc. How are they going to feel and fare once you've exercised your choice and either get killed or seriously injured, like those poor souls in the news reports that I posted to begin this thread?

Maybe you don't care much about protecting your own lives. But in my opinion, you ought to at least have the decency to act responsibly toward those who love and depend on you.

No one can be guaranteed a long and healthy life. But depending on the choices we make as we go thru life, we certainly can increase, or decrease, our odds. That's the point of my posts here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Certainly, everyone's free to make choices with their own lives... And if those here want to voluntarily engage in an especially dangerous activity that's going to significantly increase their odds, certainly here in Thailand, of getting injured or killed over time, then that's their choice to make.

But I haven't heard one biker here say anything about their wives, GFs, children, relations, etc. How are they going to feel and fare once you've exercised your choice and either get killed or seriously injured, like those poor souls in the news reports that I posted to begin this thread?

Maybe you don't care much about protecting your own lives. But in my opinion, you ought to at least have the decency to act responsibly toward those who love and depend on you.

No one can be guaranteed a long and healthy life. But depending on the choices we make as we go thru life, we certainly can increase, or decrease, our odds. That's the point of my posts here.

Do you, by any chance, sell life insurance?

I stopped riding big bike's when my wife got pregnant and bought a car.

It was not so much because it's dangerous but more for comfort for my wife and also when our son arrived in this world and it's easier to do large shopping in a car 1-2 times a week.

We still got 2 Thai scooters in the house hold and they are used almost daily as they are so much easier to go shopping on.

I still enjoy riding my PCX around Pattaya and since I been riding bikes on/off for over 30 years I am very aware what's going on around me and take my precautions.

If you are on a pension or a teacher maybe you can't afford a 4 wheeled vehicle and have to use a bike (like most Thais) to get around.

Life without own transportation is not good in Thailand unless you live in Central Bangkok.