Is Jomtien Immigration Still Issuing A Residence Certificate?

OneZero

I'm sorry to open a separate thread but I'm afraid the question that I posed in the other drivers license renewal threads is going to get lost in other posters discussions.

Chiang Mai (CM) Immigration has stopped issuing the "residence certificate". Apparently they don't have enough resources to improve their deplorable service, so decided to reduce services instead. So residents served by CM immigration wishing a driving license or vehicle purchase have to get their residence certificate from the nearest consulate or go to their embassy in Bangkok.

Is Jomtien Immigration still issuing the residence certificate?

(I realize that Jomtien Immigration is closed for Songkran, and an answer may not be available until they re-open).

Got one last week but they charged me Baht 300 and no receipt from desk 7 (financial dept) at the back. just chucked the money in the draw!whistling.gif

Guess they have to pay for Sonkran somehow and I decided to let it go!wai2.gif

Oink

Got one last week but they charged me Baht 300 and no receipt from desk 7 (financial dept) at the back. just chucked the money in the draw!whistling.gif

Guess they have to pay for Sonkran somehow and I decided to let it go!wai2.gif

Oink

Yep, same happened to me at Jomtien in early March, but did get the address affidavit within 30-45 minutes.

My local imm dept charged me ฿500. for the address certification. I believe it's supposed to be a free certificate and if that's the case, if they only recorded the charge as should be done anyway, the office should easily be able to provide this service for the other government agencies that demand the letter.

My local imm dept charged me ฿500. for the address certification. I believe it's supposed to be a free certificate and if that's the case, if they only recorded the charge as should be done anyway, the office should easily be able to provide this service for the other government agencies that demand the letter.

Still beats what your embassy will charge for a certificate. And why should any government department care what other government department / agencies require. This is a country of fifdoms, not a cohesive system designed to assist the populace

What documents and how many copies are required for this certificate? Is there a form that can be downloaded prior to attending to make application? Going to need one shortly to get my drivers licence! Not sure why I need one given most drivers in this country would fail to get a licence outside of Thailand the way they handle a vehicle!!

Got one last week but they charged me Baht 300 and no receipt from desk 7 (financial dept) at the back. just chucked the money in the draw!

300B is for fast processing. Personally I would rather pay less and get it the next day though in this instance I actually got it in less than 10 minutes.

The charge is not official hence no receipt.

Still beats what your embassy will charge for a certificate.

Don't really see what that has to do with anything. Why should my consulate be in a position to issue a certificate of residence for a driving licence anyway? They dont know where I live nor are they in any way in charge of my stay here.

Immigration do know where I live and they are in complete control over whether I reside here or not. So clearly they should be the ones to provide the certificate and they should do it for free as part of the visa service for which we pay a fee. Them or the local police/town hall.

What documents and how many copies are required for this certificate? Is there a form that can be downloaded prior to attending to make application?

Two photos, passport, 200B, application form (see Immigration website), copy of proof of address (utility bill, rent receipt etc), copy of id page of passport, copy of landing card, copy of most recent entry stamp and a copy of your visa or extension thereof if applicable. Take all original documents with you.

• Like 1

What documents and how many copies are required for this certificate? Is there a form that can be downloaded prior to attending to make application?

Two photos, passport, 200B, application form (see Immigration website), copy of proof of address (utility bill, rent receipt etc), copy of id page of passport, copy of landing card, copy of most recent entry stamp and a copy of your visa or extension thereof if applicable. Take all original documents with you.

Thank you very much.

I figured that Jomtien Immigration was probably still issuing the residence certificate, because they are better resourced (people, facilities) and have established far better procedures compared to the fiasco currently existing in Chiang Mai (CM).

Following, if you are interested, is the lengthy thread addressing the residence certificate on the CM forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632161-residence-certificate-cm-immigration-will-not-issue/

I have been told different offices have different forms for this. Anyone got a link to the correct form for Jomtien? Thanks.

As to paying - you can refuse. You will be treated with a smile, very polite and a "So sorry. We are very busy. Come back 2 weeks to get the paper." That has happened at Jomtien.

I have been told different offices have different forms for this. Anyone got a link to the correct form for Jomtien? Thanks.

As to paying - you can refuse. You will be treated with a smile, very polite and a "So sorry. We are very busy. Come back 2 weeks to get the paper." That has happened at Jomtien.

Here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/11-tm18-certificate-of-residence-application/

Here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/11-tm18-certificate-of-residence-application/

Thanks for the response. Your effort is appreciated.

This form is from 2006 and is out of date. However the one on the Immigration website worked for me today. I completed both forms just in case, but was told the 2006 form was "old form".

Well for anyone else, here is the Immigration website with the TM 18 and TM 20 are listed for download

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

The version that I posted was found on the TV download page :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/

If the forms database, both at TV and at the Immigration web site are not up to date then I guess the only solution is to visit your local Immigration Office and get a copy of whatever form they are using this week

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just back from Jomtien after getting a "certificate of residence" for car and motorbike licence.

Along with the other documents that BlackPuddingBertha mentioned, today they asked for 3 photos and 500 baht

said come and get certificate in 30 mins...they gave me 2 certificates ( maybe thats why 500 baht ? )

I used this form from the download section and it wasn't questioned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/23-application-form-for-residence-certificate-in-thailand/

Next time I'll tell Immigration I only need to get one licence and save a few hundred baht as far as I know the DLT still excepts a photocopy or residence and medical certificate if you apply for both licences at the same time.

Just got one today. It has changed. They no longer ask for 200 baht and tell you to come back the next day or pay 300 and get it the same day. Now they just ask for 300 baht and tell you to come back in 15 minutes. Very painless

I'm just back from Jomtien after getting a "certificate of residence" for car and motorbike licence.

Along with the other documents that BlackPuddingBertha mentioned, today they asked for 3 photos and 500 baht

said come and get certificate in 30 mins...they gave me 2 certificates ( maybe thats why 500 baht ? )

Next time I'll tell Immigration I only need to get one licence and save a few hundred baht as far as I know the DLT still excepts a photocopy or residence and medical certificate if you apply for both licences at the same time.

Jomtien Immigration usually ask you if you want one or two certificates, with the emphasis (unsurprisingly) on selling you two. And it isnt always easy to talk them out of doing the second one!

The third photo and double fee tip would have been for the second certificate. The other 100B sounds like the "high speed" tip which personally I would rather not pay as I'm just a few minutes from Immigration and often walk near it to get my lunch anyway.

As far as I know the licence people will still accept one original and one copy of each certificate, as long as you are applying for both licences at the same time.

Yes my mistake was saying I needed the certificate for both car and motorbike sad.png ohh well live and learn

next time I'll just say only for motorbike.

There is nothing on the certificate to say what the purpose of it is, ie it doesn't specify to be used for opening a bank account or to obtain a licence etc....

There is nothing on the certificate to say what the purpose of it is, ie it doesn't specify to be used for opening a bank account or to obtain a licence etc....

Are you sure? I cant read the Thai writing on the certificate but on the application form that I always use there are two boxes that indicate what the certificate is wanted for. One box says "driving licence" and the other says "other" with a space to fill in what the "other" is.

So I've always assumed that what I write there is indeed included somehow in the Thai writing on the certificate.

Yep I'm sure

no where on the certificate does it say to be used for such or such

it states your name,nationality,age,passport number,visa type, date admited into Thailand and date permited to stay

and the address that you are staying.

why ask a reason and then not state it on the certificate ???? TIT biggrin.png

Jomtien Immigration usually ask you if you want one or two certificates, with the emphasis (unsurprisingly) on selling you two. And it isnt always easy to talk them out of doing the second one!

The third photo and double fee tip would have been for the second certificate. The other 100B sounds like the "high speed" tip which personally I would rather not pay as I'm just a few minutes from Immigration and often walk near it to get my lunch anyway.

As far as I know the licence people will still accept one original and one copy of each certificate, as long as you are applying for both licences at the same time.

Wrong. The License Place wants 1 original for each license. Also you need 1 Res Cert. for getting a bike license and 1 for a car license. So jong got a deal. Instead of paying 300 baht each he got 2 for 500 baht. Good deal.

Edited by Gone

Wrong. The License Place wants 1 original for each license. Also you need 1 Res Cert. for getting a bike license and 1 for a car license. So jong got a deal. Instead of paying 300 baht each he got 2 for 500 baht. Good deal.

Last week a friend of mine got two licences with one original doctor's note and one original residence certificate, and one copy of each. YMMV.

As for the price, paying 500B or 600B for something that is supposed to be free doesn't sound like a good deal to me. It sounds like a very bad deal.

Still beats what your embassy will charge for a certificate.

Don't really see what that has to do with anything. Why should my consulate be in a position to issue a certificate of residence for a driving licence anyway? They dont know where I live nor are they in any way in charge of my stay here.

Immigration do know where I live and they are in complete control over whether I reside here or not. So clearly they should be the ones to provide the certificate and they should do it for free as part of the visa service for which we pay a fee. Them or the local police/town hall.

Don't really see what that has to do with anything

How about 300 or 500 THB vesus $50 US

Last week a friend of mine got two licences with one original doctor's note and one original residence certificate, and one copy of each. YMMV.

As for the price, paying 500B or 600B for something that is supposed to be free doesn't sound like a good deal to me. It sounds like a very bad deal.

In Thailand you can be lucky or un-lucky. For me, I would sooner go prepared with more than I need because I have experienced many times you go somewhere with minimal paperwork from these types of recommendations then you end up paying more and wasting time. I have had Thai drivers licenses (both) for 13 years and had to renew of course and I hate being unprepared. Just easier to pay the extra and go in loaded In my opinion.

Don't really see what that has to do with anything

How about 300 or 500 THB vesus $50 US

So? Just because one place overcharges more than another place doesn't make either place reasonable or honest. The real price is 0B, not the 200/300B that immigration want and not the 1500B your consulate may want (2500B for the UK as far as I know).

Would you thank someone who sold you a bottle of water for 500B when another shop is charging 5000B? I wouldn't. I would just denounce them both as crooks because the real price is 10B.

As I said, consulates have no place issuing residence certificates at all. It is a job for the local authorities and should be done for free.

• 2 months later...