Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

Hi. I will be applying for my 1st 1 year Thai driving license within the next week at Pattaya.

My checklist includes the following . . . .

1) Cert of residence (Im on TR visa)

2) Copies of passport, page with photo, entry stamp page and departure page?

3) medical certificate

4) 2 x photos

5) I have both parts of my UK driving license (will I be in a better position if I show my UK license or not?)

6) funds to pay for test & license

Do I require anything else?

I had to show my international license + my UK license , a mate didn't have an international so had to get a letter from the embassy to show his UK license was valid

In Bangkok a UK licence was sufficient.

Hi. I will be applying for my 1st 1 year Thai driving license within the next week at Pattaya.

3) medical certificate

4) 2 x photos

5) I have both parts of my UK driving license (will I be in a better position if I show my UK license or not?)

I had to show my international license + my UK license , a mate didn't have an international so had to get a letter from the embassy to show his UK license was valid

Im afraid Wobblyjohn is correct. I have just returned from the driving centre where I was told to go to Bangkok (British Embassy) to get the same letter. Not happy . . .

3) medical certificate

4) 2 x photos

Im afraid Wobblyjohn is correct. I have just returned from the driving centre where I was told to go to Bangkok (British Embassy) to get the same letter. Not happy . . .

regarding this "international" licence

Are you talking about the " Pattaya" DLT next door to the Regents school or the Main one in Chonburi or one in Bangkok ?????

Johng if you were asking me, I was at the centre next to Regents school this morning and told I need to get my UK license 'verified' in British embassy in BKK

Ok thanks for the clarification Walter

Well thats something new for everyone with a UK licence to be aware of.....

you took both the paper and plastic credit card size with photo on it and the DLT still wanted a letter from the British embassy ??

Just crazy........... T.I.T

My licence expire on the end of this month. If i make the new one after the old one expire i will get 6 years or 5? I have read somewhere before that some pepole got 6 years

You do not say if you have a 5 year already or the 1 year Provisional? As long as you meet the requirements for a 5 year it depends when your birthday is. If you renew after your birthday you will get 5 years plus the remainder of that year so potentially almost 6 years if you renew a few days/week after your birthdate.

I actually have 1 year licence that expire on end this month and I will apply for 5 year. So the 5 year just follow the birth date? My birthday is in June. So than is better to make it after that and stay few days without. I understand correct? Thanks a lot

Edited by marino28

i just renewed a 5 year car license as follows

I used my yellow house book as proof of residence and took along the blue house book also, both originals and copies. Passport with copies and old original license with copy.

Got there about 10am, got my number and waited only 10 mins for paperwork to be checked, told them need change of address also.did the reflex test and colour test, was then put into classroom with 50 other people to look video in thai.

After 1 hour lined up to pay for 5 year license, price 650 baht. then waited about 40 mins to get picture and collect license

Was out of there at 11.55 am

I actually have 1 year licence that expire on end this month and I will apply for 5 year. So the 5 year just follow the birth date? My birthday is in June. So than is better to make it after that and stay few days without. I understand correct? Thanks a lot

Yes you understand correctly.

For a 5 year you normally need a long term visa as well - they will not give on a Visa Waiver or short term tourist visa.

• Like 1

I went and received my provisional license a few weeks ago.

It's for a 2 year term not 1 year. Is that correct?

Thanks in Advance

Shhh, don't shout too loud or they will all want one! biggrin.png

It was mentioned in another thread recently that it had changed and you have further confirmed this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my license in Muang Chonburi's Department of Transportation. What a NIGHTMARE!! They don't have much experience dealing with foreigners there.. I would not recommend going there. I had my IDL, health cert, residency cert (from immigration), regular drivers license (from the US), copies of passport, and house book. They still wouldn't give me my motorbike endorsement. So I said "F" it and just took my license. For some reason it's a two year license though so nice I won't need to go back for a while. They wanted a new residency certificate as it was a week old.

I'm telling you EVERY single gov't office is different depending on where you are. Immigration is different in Sri Ratcha compared to requirements in Pattaya.

If you need something from an office. GO THERE! Skip the que and ask EXACTLY what they require. See the exact same person when you go back to do what you're doing.

What a waste of TWO days and about 6 hours of driving time! Hours at the DEPT of Trans in Chonburi is 0900-1630 but they stop service at 1500! They freaked out at me when I got there at 1600! Why are you here? We stop at 15.30?? <deleted> is their office open till 1630 then? What a joke .. Evil angry people...

I just got my license in Muang Chonburi's Department of Transportation. What a NIGHTMARE!! They don't have much experience dealing with foreigners there.. I would not recommend going there. I had my IDL, health cert, residency cert (from immigration), regular drivers license (from the US), copies of passport, and house book. They still wouldn't give me my motorbike endorsement. So I said "F" it and just took my license. For some reason it's a two year license though so nice I won't need to go back for a while. They wanted a new residency certificate as it was a week old.

I'm telling you EVERY single gov't office is different depending on where you are. Immigration is different in Sri Ratcha compared to requirements in Pattaya.

If you need something from an office. GO THERE! Skip the que and ask EXACTLY what they require. See the exact same person when you go back to do what you're doing.

What a waste of TWO days and about 6 hours of driving time! Hours at the DEPT of Trans in Chonburi is 0900-1630 but they stop service at 1500! They freaked out at me when I got there at 1600! Why are you here? We stop at 15.30?? <deleted> is their office open till 1630 then? What a joke .. Evil angry people...

If you were going to apply for a licence knowing the tests that are required and the overall process why would you even think you could turn up 30 minutes before closing time.......blink.png

Unless you had a motorbike endorsement on your US licence why should they give you a MC licence unless you do the tests..........you do know it is a separate licence?

There have been so many posts stating that "every office is different and has its own rules....." that I am surprised you are surprised. You did read up on the process first didn't you?

Methinks you may be angry because you know you were in the wrong - and as to calling them evil..........sick.gifcrazy.gifwacko.png

• Like 1

If you were going to apply for a licence knowing the tests that are required and the overall process why would you even think you could turn up 30 minutes before closing time.......blink.png

Unless you had a motorbike endorsement on your US licence why should they give you a MC licence unless you do the tests..........you do know it is a separate licence?

There have been so many posts stating that "every office is different and has its own rules....." that I am surprised you are surprised. You did read up on the process first didn't you?

Methinks you may be angry because you know you were in the wrong - and as to calling them evil..........sick.gifcrazy.gifwacko.png

Why would it matter if I showed up 30 minutes before closing time fool? They said that everyone STOPS WORKING ONE HOUR before closing time. I wrote that in CAPS because I want to make it easier for simple minded (or probably drunk) people.

Why would it matter if I showed up 30 minutes before closing time fool? They said that everyone STOPS WORKING ONE HOUR before closing time. I wrote that in CAPS because I want to make it easier for simple minded (or probably drunk) people.

Make it easier in what way? Most "fools" having done the research would make sure they left plenty of time to go through the process.

If you had said you were just venting ok but I notice you have conveniently ignored the other comments......

• Like 1

Make it easier in what way? Most "fools" having done the research would make sure they left plenty of time to go through the process.

If you had said you were just venting ok but I notice you have conveniently ignored the other comments......

I'm glad you're so concerned. I feel loved.

I'd be happy to clear things up for you.

I have my motorcycle endorsement on my US license. My license has a class DM on the front. On the back it also says motorcycle endorsement on the back.

I started my day at the Dept of transportation after having gone to Sri Ratcha immigration for my documents. I was (first) at Chonburi and began my processing at about 13.00. They told me it was okay to come back the same day. However they forgot to mention not to come back after 15.30 (closing time is 1630). I had only to give the rest of my documents and get my photos taken. Thirty minutes for 5 minutes worth of processing is more than enough time.

I'm only guessing they use the hour for continued processing of the stacks of documents? Then why wouldn't they say they close at 15.30? My Thai friend spoke with them and they said closing time was 16.30. I had to come back the next day just for a photo. Glad it's done though.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday did the 1 year too 5 year at land and transport office (near Regents school)

Arrived 8:15 got ticket.

8:30 upstairs show docs.

Colour test, reaction test, depth perception test, (don't no real term)

No Road safety video to watch.

Pay fee,

Take photo,, New bike and car licence for 10 days short of 6 years.

All done by 9:45

RESAULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by onemorechang
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not true, I did my licence there last year. The cashier closes at 15.30, if you cannot pay by then there is no point being there.

I had already paid but they had a power cut so about 16.15 I was given my money back and told to come back the following week.

Not true, I did my licence there last year. The cashier closes at 15.30, if you cannot pay by then there is no point being there.

I had already paid but they had a power cut so about 16.15 I was given my money back and told to come back the following week.

Did you read my post? I was there last month.. How does last years closing time have anything to do with this years closing time.. ? I know what time they close because I saw the sign. Go back to that hell hole if you don't believe me.

Did you read my post? I was there last month.. How does last years closing time have anything to do with this years closing time.. ? I know what time they close because I saw the sign. Go back to that hell hole if you don't believe me.

I was there this afternoon for renewal, bit chaotic with the temporary facilities but times still the same. Cashier closes at 15.30.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...