Ways To Cut Down The Cost Of Living In Thailand

GuestHouse

Don't buy any health insurance -- it's only for suckers.

-

Unless you've got kids and insufficient resources to cover major crisis events like head injuries, meningitis etc

Just look for policies with very high deductible/co-pay, won't cover routine stuff, but very high upper limits for the big stuff.

Wealthy relatives back home may suffice but at your own risk and shame. . .

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fly economy rather than business class but truthfully who could be bothered with that. coffee1.gif

Right I'm only kidding.......the sister question to the OP is, how do you earn more in Thailand or overseas? Surely maximising your income is as important as cutting your expenses?

• Like 2

Fly economy rather than business class but truthfully who could be bothered with that. coffee1.gif

Right I'm only kidding.......the sister question to the OP is, how do you earn more in Thailand or overseas? Surely maximising your income is as important as cutting your expenses?

I'm not going to get into that bucket of crabs.

Don't buy any health insurance -- it's only for suckers.

-

Unless you've got kids and insufficient resources to cover major crisis events like head injuries, meningitis etc

Just look for policies with very high deductible/co-pay, won't cover routine stuff, but very high upper limits for the big stuff.

Wealthy relatives back home may suffice but at your own risk and shame. . .

Here here. biggrin.png

To really live on the cheap cheap do this:

1. Sell everything you have.

2. If you can't sell it... give away to Temple to make merit.

3. Take money a buy one really big meal and enjoy evening by splurging.

4. Take rest of unspent money wrap in plastic wrap and stick up A**.

5. Rob bank and give up.

6. Thais will give you place to sleep, food every day. and even a shower once in awhile.

7. Use money in A** to stay alive in hospitality suite.

8. You will not need to worry about spending money for least least 20 years.

9. Enjoy your vacation.

• Like 1

Plenty of <6000 baht rooms around,

eat thai food at mom & pop shop, or buy take away

skip ladydrinks & paid female companionship,

skip being white knight as well,

yes, go-go was my biggest expense, by far !

plenty of <2000 Baht rooms around.

I rent a complete house for 6000 Baht

• Like 2

My greatest saving was getting a credit card that charges 0% for transactions and withdrawals abroad.

Hunting around for a place to live that does not cost a fortune. I pay 7,000 a month for a 2 bed house.

Cook it yourself (not always easy in a condo).

Get the g/f / wife to buy things - always cheaper.

Thai markets often a lot cheaper.

Torrents are cheap.

A carton of cigs in Tesco is cheaper than 7/11 (so I discovered the other day) saving 40 Baht.

Shower together wink.png

edit

Add to that, use the local clinic to see the doctor. It can save a lot on medicines. I get a lot of mine at half the price of a pharmacy. That includes the cost of seeing the doctor.

Edited by pattayadingo
  • Like 2

Quit smoking. That will save you around 3,000 to 5,000 baht per month. Commute by bicycle (not even a motorcycle). Cycling in Bangkok was a lot of fun - did that for three years. Cook your own food. Not difficult to pack a ham, bacon or chicken salad sandwich. Buy secondhand vehicles (provided it is in tip-top condition). Ask yourself - do you really need designer products? Live in smaller towns or in the province. This may not be as exciting as living in the metropolis but if you want to cut down on expenses - you many have to make sacrifices.

• Like 1

A wise man said - "It does not matter how much money you earn each month. What matters is how much money you have left at the end of the month."

Providing practical advice to TV forum members who are, on average, 50 years of age and over seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps the best advice I could give people would be to get counseling before coming over here, possibly saving your marriage thus avoiding a costly break up in turn saving you from having to come to Thailand to live cheap.

Or use the energy saving button on your AC unit to save a few baht.

• Like 1

Le

Don't consider a GF that

has ever left home or worked outside the family farm fields or in construction

has learned any English

has been with a foreigner

ever touched a computer

From a money saving perspective, I would think you could save more money by having an educated GF who has lived out of home and does speak English. She would be earning her own money, so your contribution would be less. She would have experience of earnign her own money and having had to budget that salary to live month by month. Her being able to speak English (if you cannot speak Thai - I cannot) will also save you money every day on purchases, negotiations, transport etcetera.

Even the most basic phone these days has internet capabilities and access to computers is cheap and readily available. smile.png

He just means that those girls ask less of a salary of an older farang then the educated ones. They are easy to please so for a sexpats point of view those girls are cheaper. The girls you describe would want a guy that looks ok, has some manners, humor ect. They are not the typical play things he looks for

• Like 1

Le

Don't consider a GF that

has learned any English

ever touched a computer

From a money saving perspective, I would think you could save more money by having an educated GF who has lived out of home and does speak English. She would be earning her own money, so your contribution would be less. She would have experience of earnign her own money and having had to budget that salary to live month by month. Her being able to speak English (if you cannot speak Thai - I cannot) will also save you money every day on purchases, negotiations, transport etcetera.

Even the most basic phone these days has internet capabilities and access to computers is cheap and readily available. smile.png

He just means that those girls ask less of a salary of an older farang then the educated ones. They are easy to please so for a sexpats point of view those girls are cheaper. The girls you describe would want a guy that looks ok, has some manners, humor ect. They are not the typical play things he looks for

That's the type of girls that BigJohnnieBKK used to recruit to his Perverted Pygmalion Prep School in Bangkok. What a coincidence. blink.pngwhistling.gif

• Like 2

Don't consider a GF that

has learned any English

ever touched a computer

-

-

As an old fat poor guy who couldn't settle for an older unattractive gal nor willing to deal with an assertive equal partner, I think the odds of my getting what I want from your profile to be pretty miniscule. As I said what works for me, not claiming a universal formula.

Elitist faffle

-

Question........ Why all these save-save-save-cheap-cheap threads?

These guys are independent and self sufficient. They know value for money in Thailand,

and don't need to read yet another TV thread about it.

-

So like you said, therefore don't need to read them, much less bother to comment questioning the reason for their existence as if everyone who isn't as clever and lucky should just shut up and disappear off the face of the earth?

It's not the cost of the alcohol itself so much but the consequences of the "decisions" taken while under the influence.

And for many the side effects of long-term abuse, examples of ultimate costs there abound.

Edited by FunFon
  • Like 1

Edited by NeverSure

I'm not going to get into that bucket of crabs.

I don't understand that.......when do you intend to live in Thailand full time? Surely maximising you're income would be important to you?