Ways To Cut Down The Cost Of Living In Thailand

GuestHouse

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't cook food yourself eat at street stalls (cheaper by far i can know i cook my own food)

Definitely! Plus saving ten years of rent, as one will be not need a dwelling when the arteries have packed up from the coconut oil and the likes of malnutrition.

Laughable isn't it! Find something you like to eat and learn how to make it. At the very worst you should be able to match the price AND it will be healthier to boot. Not much money to be saved on stall food even at best I would admit though. Pan seared then grilled duck breast for tea tonight with sauted (using some of the duck fat) seasonal vegetables with gerlic and a small shake of oyster sauce and steamed rice. 60-65 Baht total.

I made a shrimp and smoked sausage Gumbo just before Songkran for a group of friends and the total cost was 558 Baht + rice, fed 10 people.

"I am lucky to be 84 years old and me and misses stole a lot before moving to Thailand
Most of you were to lazy and stupid to steal in your home country now are short funds too bad."

55555555555 cheesy.gif HarryfromPattaya must have been a government employee ?!

• Like 1

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered". George Best

Neither hope nor prayers are plans. Came here with nothing and still have most of it.

It's funny....people with money get all mad there are people having a better experience with less money. And they slaved their life for the man, so think having more money is better. nah...sure, you need 30-40k a month for thailand, but after that the marginal rate of utility drops off....

if you spend all your time worrying about saving money, you are in thailand waiting to die..this is sad, i see it a lot. they worry about 30 baht. and spend most of the time avoiding the heat, like it's a game. and ways to not spend money on women.....ah.....

yes, i almost never drink. ride my bike for exercise, walk to places for errands. electicity isn't bad, so i don't care if i run the AC all-night if it's really hot.

having 1 million a month and being fat and miserable < 40k baht a month and relatively happy

if you are mad there are poor people in thailand...well, go give 100k to some poor families and do something about it....

I finally got rid of my sixteen year old Mitsubishi Lancer in favour of a new deisel pickup truck and as a result my fuel bill has dropped from around THB 7k a month to THB 2k a month plus my repair bills have gone from an average couple of thousand per month to zero, all of that more than outweighed the 3% interest I was getting on those funds plus I now have piece of mind and reliability, I can highly recommend it.

That lancer's fuel consumption really sucked!

Save on nail clippers, consider cutting toenails just once a year instead of once a month. Buy cheap sunglasses in bulk at a Thai street market, then when you sit on them, leave them on the bus, the dog chews them, you will have a fallback pair. Likewise umbrellas, never consider paying more than ten baht for one. Better still, wait for a rainy day and steal a wet one left in the bucket inside the entrance to Tesco.

Rub pine needles under your arms instead of buying deodorant.

Or take extra napkins from fast food restaurants to save on toilet paper?

Or maybe share your partner’s toothbrush instead of buying your own?

“After eating avocado, rub the inside of the skin against your face,

it makes a great face pack. You can also use it to buff your shoes.”

“I buy whole milk and when nobody is looking the milk gets a good glug of water from the tap to eek it out a little further.”

“When we have toast and jam, I spread the butter on the outside edges

of the toast and spread the jam in the middle to fool my other half.

Train your dog to beg for food from strangers, so you won't have to buy dog food.

And finally , brew your own beer and wines. Not

only will you save money, but will also

save on housing costs when you spend 6 months

in rehab

Wow !

cheesy.gif

Plenty of <6000 baht rooms around,

eat thai food at mom & pop shop, or buy take away

skip ladydrinks & paid female companionship,

skip being white knight as well,

yes, go-go was my biggest expense, by far !

plenty of <2000 Baht rooms around.

I rent a complete house for 6000 Baht

I know a guy fellow country man as "h90" who lived for years until recently in a Thai style house in Isaan for a 500 Baht a month Rent, whole house!

Very small town-outside center, quiet place, shadow land under big trees. wai.gif

Now he has to pay, 1.000 Baht a month. wink.png

Fly home and get your nuts cut. Come back and don't tell anyone. Then when your girlfriend tells you that she is pregnant you can honestly tell her that you will help her as much as you can to find out who the real father is,

From that point the biggest bills that arrive will be yours and no one elses.coffee1.gif

Plenty of <6000 baht rooms around,

eat thai food at mom & pop shop, or buy take away

skip ladydrinks & paid female companionship,

skip being white knight as well,

yes, go-go was my biggest expense, by far !

plenty of <2000 Baht rooms around.

I rent a complete house for 6000 Baht

I know a guy fellow country man as "h90" who lived for years until recently in a Thai style house in Isaan for a 500 Baht a month Rent, whole house!

Very small town-outside center, quiet place, shadow land under big trees. wai.gif

Now he has to pay, 1.000 Baht a month. wink.png

So double pricing rears it's ugly head again.w00t.gif

• Like 1

Question........ Why all these save-save-save-cheap-cheap threads?

Answer: Because some people like to learn. Because some people would like to contribute to local businesses rather than spend the money at huge conglomerates. Because some people would like to leave as much as they can to their nearest and dearest(s) while still living exactly the same lifestyle.

if you smoke stop buy sigarettes roll yourself tabacco 60 thb for 1/2 kilo and fitered tubes 200 pc 100 thb that saves if you smoke alot

cut down the alcohol or buy cheap beers

no ac no need one anyway

dont have lights like a soccerstadium burning all night

try to get government water line waterpumps suck electric

Only air con & fridge make a difference in electric consumption/bill,

yes, rolling myself is much cheaper, but that thai tobacco do-it-yourself is bad xxxx, real bad

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

And cos the pound's going down the sh1tter.....

And because the government is propping up the Baht by traversing (both ways!) and foreign speculators are helping to stoke the fire.
Big sigh. coffee1.gif
Perhaps you would like to elucidate?

Actually if you choose wisely in the first place and set and stick to sensible guidelines - not necessarily these, but for example - a long-term arrangement should work out much less expensive than explicit P2P.

Like orders of magnitude less expensive.

Some claim to actually come out financially better off from such arrangements not even counting the non-monetary benefits, but they are apparently younger and more hansum than most of us here.

Edited by FunFon

For what its worth here are my top 10 tips to save money.

1. Get rid of tv, (you cant understand the Thai and the English new is just depressing).

2. Stock up on solar panels, they will cost more now but save you heaps later.

3. Buy food from Dalats, not Rimp Ping Supermarkets and the like.

4. Stop smoking

5. Brew your own bear or wine.

6. Give up the car and ride around on a moped.

7. Ditch the broad band and use 3G instead.

8. Barbecue food, especially fish, on a wood barbecue, the wood is free (usually) and the fish is too (learn to fish).

9. Ditch western foods and create a fusion blend that you really like

10. Only spend money when you have too, not when you want too.