Why Do Many Farrangs Show Disrespect To Their Neighbors

johnmcc6

The majority these farangs who chose to make Thailand their homes are from low social class.

They are just behaving the way they have done in their own countries.

Hi-So Thais look down on them.

Huh? rolleyes.gif

Not be surprised, seems the -Dr.- is involved in the Hi-So circles, that is the source, where his wisdom comes from. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Once WWIII starts....all falang (if in Chiang mai, no need to pronounce the R) will have to give up all property. so that neigbor situation.....fixed!!!

and the baht will be 1:1 to the Pound.......and that will get rid of the poor backpackers trying to see the real side of life on the back of an elephant with a chang beer. haha.

the falang will then be used to make fruit shakes 24 hours a day in a shack below the moat!!!!

My gate is open and all friends are coming in and out when ever they please to, if they are there they greet me with a Sawadee kaa/kap LUNG (Uncle) Will and help themselves at the fridge,

My family is my one and all and when aunt Plaa in the poor Chieng Yuen/Kalasin area decides that the daughter is old enough to got to work, she sends her to Pattaya to my house and off cause I will provide a room, food and support.

All know she will be in good care and will find a job at BigC, a Hotel or a Restaurant,, because I turn into a real uncle when she want's to work in a Bar. Only one of my nieces ever tried to lie to me. She said she was working at Carrefour and I found out she went to a walking street Bar. Damn

I slapped her a** until it was green and blue.. That was the moment my entire Family made me part of them and this story circles already for years in our family..

If I am travelling to the Village (and I HAVE to come each time the 600km after a working trip of 2-3 month) I bring some Cup Soups for the neighbors, some little things what my wife thinks we need to bring with until the Harley is fully loaded.

Open your gate and get your neighbor having a beer with you on your terrace. Sure he will love your flower garden also and will look with interest how clean all looks and he will not be jealous, he will tell how nice your garden is and how friendly you are, that you have the same view of hospitality as Thai have.. And after flushing his beer down he will leave laughing because the language barrier, next day it comes a "hello, how are you? 55555"

My gate is open, but until recently had a bunch of big really friendly dogs. Nobody, who was not familiar with them, was interested to come. wink.png

Only, water,soda and Coke in the fridge. Nobody interested! tongue.png

So, you stay most time in Pattaya? I live in Isaan full time, with own kids and GF, not only special occasion visits. rolleyes.gif

You beat up your Thai niece with visible markings on her body? You "Old school"? but not "my school" and style of behaving! bah.gif

(Maybe she just want also have such a "nice uncle" as BF, maybe you had been the only one in the family who did not know what she was doing.whistling.gif

The new TV, motorbike and household goods with some cash would be well appreciated, without much questions!rolleyes.gif )

Harley! Well! clap2.gif Than the "open refrigerator is a "must be!"

Gate, is open! Dogs died already, mostly from old age. But I do not drink alcohol or beer, so not much interest to share my fridge. giggle.gif

I not unhappy, that such guys, who after a free beer or alcoholic drink, not come back day after day!

Have a Mama and Papa store as neighbor, who wants something with alcohol can buy it there!

Regarding garden, nice and clean.

I had-have two long time relationships, one took-take care the garden and house well with her Mam.

But the other younger, more pretty one - the Thai neighbor, would have no reason to find positive words, she is the opposite of a Take care housewife!

A real brat, the whole family including the Mam no idea of tidiness! bah.gif

Regarding the question - participating in the village festivities ect.

That is my GFs department. I make it same I would do it in my home country.

Do not like big crowded parties and events at all. In a group its fun and ok for me. A big crowd, no thank you!

I am friendly mannered and greet better two times to much, than one time less. I think the Thais like me as a funny, joking, friendly guy.

No reason for me to participate in things I do not like, even in my home country! wai.gif

PS:

Where is the "Rescued sole from hell" wink.png from you "Hard hit" niece now? Phuket? Out of your sight? tongue.png

In the shoes of the niece, I would have let you pay my colored " a** " at the police station!

Or you could even write now from the "Inside Pattaya's "Monkey House" (prison) blink.png 555555

" I slapped her a** until it was green and blue"

Edited by ALFREDO

I tend to find the term Farang rude, and you don't often hear it from Thais. Once in 5 years in our village I have been referred to as the Farang to my face and that was in a heated argument.

Why use it in the context of this post?

What?!?! You must be deaf, I hear it all the time. Not out of disrespect but that is just how Thai's refer to foreigners. If you saw a Lao, Thai, Cambodian grouped together you might safely say they were farang if you didn't know what nationality they were.

Once WWIII starts....all falang (if in Chiang mai, no need to pronounce the R) will have to give up all property. so that neigbor situation.....fixed!!!

and the baht will be 1:1 to the Pound.......and that will get rid of the poor backpackers trying to see the real side of life on the back of an elephant with a chang beer. haha.

the falang will then be used to make fruit shakes 24 hours a day in a shack below the moat!!!!

There is no R in Chiang Mai.

But thanks for the warning.

Did you use a crystal ball or Tarot cards?

The music is too damn loud EVERYTIME without fail.

I'm guessing it's a cycle where the parents deafen the children, then when the children grow up they need the music loud to hear it properly and they deafen their children too. Maybe that's why they seem to yell rather than talk.

• Like 2

Why? Because they are boring. Do I want to get really drunk and listen to people yammering over the top of bad music played loudly? No I will stay at home thanks. Sorry if this seems rude to you.

• Like 1

Why? Because they are boring. Do I want to get really drunk and listen to people yammering over the top of bad music played loudly? No I will stay at home thanks. Sorry if this seems rude to you.

Sounds like a lot of the bars back home. I avoided them there also.

Mind you there was a time when It didn't matter.smile.png

What I can't understand is why the wife raises her voice every time she is on the phone. If I turn the TV up that loud she says it gives her a head ache.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of the bars back home. I avoided them there also.

Mind you there was a time when It didn't matter.smile.png

What I can't understand is why the wife raises her voice every time she is on the phone. If I turn the TV up that loud she says it gives her a head ache.

Indeed Thai's talk very loudly and it always sounds like they are yelling and upset. I could listen to people speaking French, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, but not Thai, listening to Thai makes my ears hurt.

• Like 1

Time to do a roundhouse kick!

1. I have seen excuses and can see the authors of these excuses are just simple ignorant c*nts! YES YOU ARE! Why you don't stay in your country where you came from and hide there behind your walls as you did!

2. The term 'Farang' is in many FARANG mind a bad word used like the westerner are using 'Foreigners, Pakis, Kanaken' and so on,,, every country has its own bad word for immigrants to show the personal hate to them.. In Thai it has another meaning from the heart seen. :He/she from another land" or simple "He/she from outside" would be a good description for it. Thanks for the paleface, good one. THAT would upset me sure...

Nuff said!

Here my little story and why I love Thailand as my home. Read or stop here. I just hope that some readers will say. YES, that is my way too or I live exactly the same style and I AM HAPPY!

I am this Sonkran unfortunately at work and can't join with my family the Village my wife grew up. It is every year a smashing party and the fact that I am the only FARANG there makes sure i get always my extra portion of water and powder. I enjoy it every time again.

The language barrier is no issue. I learned all European languages and my head is full, Thai somehow won't come in.

But the heartiness of all neighbors, the nonstop worries what can FARANG 'Lung Will' (uncle Will) eat and sure they stuff all kind of things into me and learning what I can take or my stomach can take. And of cause everyone thinks: I haven't had a drink with FARANG and cheer up to the new year, all want this bit honor even he get drunk like a Quay from rotten fruits... all this is overseen or seen as bad manner towards FARANGS in the small FARANG mind. I have learned to ease up situations like language barriers with LOL (LOUD OUT LOUGHING) because this is the Thai way to do.

My gate is open and all friends are coming in and out when ever they please to, if they are there they greet me with a Sawadee kaa/kap LUNG (Uncle) Will and help themselves at the fridge, having a nap on the couch without asking, as I do when I am visiting the village of my father in Law. (makes them feeling you are happy and very comfortable with their hospitality, did you know that?)

My family is my one and all and when aunt Plaa in the poor Chieng Yuen/Kalasin area decides that the daughter is old enough to got to work, she sends her to Pattaya to my house and off cause I will provide a room, food and support.

All know she will be in good care and will find a job at BigC, a Hotel or a Restaurant,, because I turn into a real uncle when she want's to work in a Bar. Only one of my nieces ever tried to lie to me. She said she was working at Carrefour and I found out she went to a walking street Bar. Damn I slapped her a** until it was green and blue.. That was the moment my entire Family made me part of them and this story circles already for years in our family..

If I am travelling to the Village (and I HAVE to come each time the 600km after a working trip of 2-3 month) I bring some Cup Soups for the neighbors, some little things what my wife thinks we need to bring with until the Harley is fully loaded.

The day is 7pm to 3am, morning Ciggy and coffee without much words with Por (Father), the Monk comes at 5am (when the old Village Loudspeaker blurring out Lung Will and wife is back) and he learned extra "Good morning how are you" when I pass him discrete in an envelope the money for the electric in the Temple or some donations for a roof repair and sure I not get more blessing for it as when I just hand over a scoop of rice... this little blessing for my feeling, I am part of it here and now...

Father's rice fields are now Grassland (His bones are too old to make rice) for OUR Humpback Cows bought in Laos and we are all proud of our 3rd generation Calves that are an attraction all around Kalasin and Mahasarakham's farmers...

After this year offshore working it will be the entire Village getting cows to create a good breeding system to avoid Incest... A female Calf is round 15000 Baht in Laos and the supply of the village is round 2 month of my offshore wages.. But then my pension is sorted... It took me and my wife 8 years to make it understandable to all villagers but we made it finally...

BUT, Pity that I am not at Songkran this year because everyone has been asking and felt reluctant that I am this year not there to get my extra portion of water. My brother in Law who dropped me last week off at the airport was hiding his face at my chest for the shame of the tears..

Final word: This is just a story of a normal life that could be everywhere in the world as long the foreigner adapts to the lifestyle and accepts to live another kind of culture and rules. You want to live behind the wall alone and die alone? Why you don't do it where you come from instead screw up the public view on FARANGS? Open your gate and get your neighbor having a beer with you on your terrace. Sure he will love your flower garden also and will look with interest how clean all looks and he will not be jealous, he will tell how nice your garden is and how friendly you are, that you have the same view of hospitality as Thai have.. And after flushing his beer down he will leave laughing because the language barrier, next day it comes a "hello, how are you? 55555"

Well for starters you don't live in the village, and when you go you hand out cash. Please move to this village and see if you can maintain Disneyland for a full year.

• Like 2

Awesome, free work permits, right?

It is all about attitude. I have and never will be impressed by people with money. I could give a rats ass if you have a gazillion bucks or zero dinero.

My judgements are on personal valor or lack of. Mutual admiration is a time earned value. The worship of material things and the ego and other narcissistic ventures that stoke the core of many a high society person, of which it doesn't mean a thing which color their skin is. There are givers and takers in this world. Ideally we do a balance of both, but some folks think they are entitled and the rules of life don't apply to them. They live in a shallow preconceived world that when it ends they have nothing, and that must piss them off. On the other hand, their insulated world is not so insulated when you can't impress people with a stone heart and selfish sacrament.

If you want to be a snob, live among your masses of superiority.

So many make zero effort to get involved and live an isolated life only venturing out of their home to buy booze or met with other farangs.

The key to "living" in Thailand rather than just existing is to get involved and talk to people even if your language skills are limited.

In a typical village there are often things that you can get involved with just like everyone else, the "clean the village" mornings takes an hour early in the morning before it gets hot, rice harvest is a few hours every few days and a huge social event - I wouldn't miss it.

I get involved in the mass anti-rabies inoculations tackling the various village dogs.

Going to the major Buddhist religious events at the Wat is good, I certainly do not play Buddhist as some I have seen that go through the motions without any idea of the words and meanings, I sit at the back and just join in the shared meal at the end. Of course you sit with the other village men rather than women and children. I might only have a limited Thai vocabulary but I have established the contact that makes me welcomed rather than an outsider who does not interact in the place were you live.

There is another farang in the village that only leaves his house to visit a local bar, he has a reputation, it is not a good one.

I suggest you know you are integrated when you are driving with your wife and someone waves or talks to you and wife asks. "Who's that?" Knowing people that are outside your immediate circle of relatives and friends that are focused on your wife.

Do Farangs join in with community celebrations in their own home countries? I'd say they're behaving exactly as they do at home, especially if they're older. The comfort of home is more appealing than an evening of drinking and loud music. Given a free choice I predict that more Thai's would stay at home too.

I am a Southampton Premiership team supporter..........Why are'nt you ?

Its a free world so we can do and feel how we like without demanding that others do as we do. Give it up mate, whatever makes you happy !

I thought I was the only one here! Not so alone today:-)

If i play my music too loud the mother in law sticks her head in the door .

I always comply as i'm sure she could easily throw me around like a rag doll if she wanted too !!!

I don't like their parties.

I don't like being subjected to music amplified to such an extent that my ears hurt.

I don't go to public celebrations like Loy Krathong, because out of control hoons throw giant fireworks at people. It's too dangerous. One year I got my pants burnt by a rocket launched at us.

That's why I won't go.

So many make zero effort to get involved and live an isolated life only venturing out of their home to buy booze or met with other farangs.

The key to "living" in Thailand rather than just existing is to get involved and talk to people even if your language skills are limited.

In a typical village there are often things that you can get involved with just like everyone else, the "clean the village" mornings takes an hour early in the morning before it gets hot, rice harvest is a few hours every few days and a huge social event - I wouldn't miss it.

I get involved in the mass anti-rabies inoculations tackling the various village dogs.

Going to the major Buddhist religious events at the Wat is good, I certainly do not play Buddhist as some I have seen that go through the motions without any idea of the words and meanings, I sit at the back and just join in the shared meal at the end. Of course you sit with the other village men rather than women and children. I might only have a limited Thai vocabulary but I have established the contact that makes me welcomed rather than an outsider who does not interact in the place were you live.

There is another farang in the village that only leaves his house to visit a local bar, he has a reputation, it is not a good one.

I suggest you know you are integrated when you are driving with your wife and someone waves or talks to you and wife asks. "Who's that?" Knowing people that are outside your immediate circle of relatives and friends that are focused on your wife.

Good grief, many, if not most people back "home" don't know their neighbours more than to say good morning in passing, and don't take part in "community" activities.

In 5 years, one neighbour and I didn't share a single word and I had no idea who lived along our road. Works both ways- they didn't want to meet me, and visa versa.

Yet, because I move to Thailand, I'm supposed to become a different person- not going to happen.

I live in a village where I am the ONLY farang. My wife is Thai, she helps at all the funerals, knows everyone at the market and is well liked. I am not religious, Bhudism is not any better or worse than any of the others in my view. I have agreed to attend the wat twice a year, Loi Krathong and her birthday because it is important to her. We donate to the wat when asked and have helped some of the Thai people in our neighbourhood financially. I have also helped to start cars, and push them as well as lifting heavy items. I am not fluent in Thai and can not do much more than discuss the weather with my neighbours. Most of the kids, at some point, have to meet a farang, ask questions and have a photo taken with them, I am always happy to do that. I guess I don't interact more because of the language barrier, but I don't think i'm aloof or disrespectful of anyone.

You seem like to good guy to me,all the best

Edited by mickjn

Not going to a party is pretty low in the Disrespect-O-meter.

How about setting your neighbors animals on fire?

Showing your neighbors the soles of your shoes when the pass?

Hurling dead vermin into their yard?

Can't anybody dredge up a troll disrespect thread with teeth?

Seriously this is lame offerings.

Evidently, you live near me.

Disrespect goes both ways. I can recall four years ago a wedding party beginning at 2 a.m. , 50 metres from my village apartment in provinicial Khon Kaen. With those monster stacks rocking my digs till daybreak I had no chance of sleep and departed bleary eyed for Khon Kaen city at 8 a.m. to seek silent refuge for 36 hours. No complaint from me however..was it worth it? What got me narcy was a week later at 10 p.m on a Friday evening getting loud bangs on my door with the apartment manager angry that I was playing farang music on my 900 baht mini sound system...the only one angrier was me and did I let rip with a few expletives. Of course I was asked to leave the apartment and the story of the angry farang did the rounds at my local school the following Monday morning.

Yes, classic.

Disrespect goes both ways. I can recall four years ago a wedding party beginning at 2 a.m. , 50 metres from my village apartment in provinicial Khon Kaen. With those monster stacks rocking my digs till daybreak I had no chance of sleep and departed bleary eyed for Khon Kaen city at 8 a.m. to seek silent refuge for 36 hours. No complaint from me however..was it worth it? What got me narcy was a week later at 10 p.m on a Friday evening getting loud bangs on my door with the apartment manager angry that I was playing farang music on my 900 baht mini sound system...the only one angrier was me and did I let rip with a few expletives. Of course I was asked to leave the apartment and the story of the angry farang did the rounds at my local school the following Monday morning.

Yes, classic.

Absolutely classic. Too many people with the "I love all things Thai" glasses on forget that disrespect goes both ways.

Not going to a party is pretty low in the Disrespect-O-meter.

How about setting your neighbors animals on fire?

Showing your neighbors the soles of your shoes when the pass?

Hurling dead vermin into their yard?

Can't anybody dredge up a troll disrespect thread with teeth?

Seriously this is lame offerings.

Evidently, you live near me.

The one I forgot is to ask your neighbors "how much for the children? I want to buy your children"

Okay that's from the Blue Brothers movie but I am sure some foreigners have inquired over the years.

is that worthy of disrespect?

My last few bicycle rides in the relatively cleaner air have yielded annoying encounters with village drunks when I stop for a drink.

The other Thai's seem very entertained when Otis the crazy tooth drunk trying to hug the falang bicyclist

The music is too damn loud EVERYTIME without fail.

I'm guessing it's a cycle where the parents deafen the children, then when the children grow up they need the music loud to hear it properly and they deafen their children too. Maybe that's why they seem to yell rather than talk.

Finally, an explanation.

Back to the word..."Farang". Wikipedia is quite funny about this. The word is used for Europeans...and more than likely, started with the Franks (of whom France had taken the name). LOL. Definitely a slur. How about "Farang khi nok"...which means BIRD SHIT FARANG! Thats a Backpacker!! Damn, I walked the length and width of Thailand with a backpack onand didn't realize I was a Bird Shit! lol. I suspect its a humorous thing and not malicious. Warning, take that backpack off before you visit the relatives for the first time, or ask a gal for a date.hit-the-fan.gif