Why Do Many Farrangs Show Disrespect To Their Neighbors

johnmcc6

Perhaps it's a language barrier? They might not have been aware of the celebration in advance, or felt like they wouldn't understand anything if they came. I have no idea; it's just one theory. It is unfortunate. You can be anonymous in Bangkok, but not so much in a small town.

• Like 2

I don't like their parties.

And especially not Songkran.. Just read through some of the comments posted here by the grinches.. clearly they want to be holed up. :) Anyway as you noticed, that makes the appreciation for people who DO want to be a part of the country they live in much greater. :thumbsup:

(As an aside though, I do hope you're not assuming just by looking at a big house that it's a foreigner living there? Because more often than not, it's not.)

• Like 1

No I don't assume all big houses are farrang and I did say many not all farrangs. I am familiar with this village and there are many farrang living there. I too show up...look around ...say hello then bolt if I don't like the scene. This particular event turned out great....maybe it was the abundance Leo?????

• Like 1

I am also the only farang in the village

.I go to some of the important celebrations, funerals, community day tidy the village up......but only for a short period of time

i dont hang around too much as i dont like tobacco smoke and i will be effected by it if i do

simple really

It is a thin line because yes you have the reputation of your wife /partner to think about and what is and not expected so i show up more to save her face

nothing against the villagers

some try to engage me,others ignore me...its a language thing in most cases

Not al lThais turn up at these events either,some because they are busy,some because they are too lazy, drunk or selfish to do so,,but yes you gueseed

when the free hand outs are given,like seeds or plants .vegetables,,yes they are first in the q as well as the free drinks during cremations.

so all in all it depends on the person

some people yes do live in big houses with big walls and only see their servants

some people live in small houses with small walss and only see the 4 walls

security is an issue,which i was surprised about because it is a village and everyone knows everyones business

,but yes people are really scared to l leave things unattended for any length of time.

that surprised me having lived in villages in other asian countries

no police in our village,,,so some people take the piss and will take if given the chance.

The vilagers now know my way of life and what i am about and the stereo type of the rich farang they have a much better undestanding of.

some people come in granted with good intentions and give this that and everything,which enrichenses the rich farang hype and the poor Thai

,but maybe we are diversing here,not sure,,i only write as i think hahah

some of it is because they think they are above others

they wouldnt mix with farang either for many reasons main one snobbery

some of it is as previous posters have stated

you will always get a different perspective from the people who live there fll time,permantly rather than the passing through tourists ,where ever you choose to go in the world

but yes thanks for asking thw question

I love to go to events here . I dont like to go to cremations but I was that way back home too . Wife doesnt like to go to much of anything so most times I go alone. Being a non drinker I do get some funny looks but thats cool . I have alway felt more than welcome and never felt like an outsider by Thai people ... The music is fun !

• Like 1

You mean the sonkran party with incredible loud sounds, drunk men and horrible food? You may celebrate your way in the village, I prefer ours.
My wifes family and I visit every year the old people from the village and give them their new year package where in return we get their blessings for the new year.
It's a real nice ceremony and every old man or woman say their own good wishes. One man was that old, he could hardly speak but we sat around 20 minutes with our hands in wai and in deep respect. I believe this is more a traditional part of sonkran.

Edited by Joop50
  • Like 1

I am the only farang that lives in my tambon. Each year my wife and I go to the village community center for Songkran. Also we go to the temple each year for the blessings of the monks. At my village I am always invites to joins the elders in the blessing. At the temple after the blessing of the monks there is a water fight. Being the only farang in the community has one good advance, when the Fedex truck comes to make a delivery everyone knows where the farang lives.

• Like 1