Brigitte Bardot Appeals To Thailand Over Dog Trade

webfact

Bardot appeals to Thailand over dog trade

dog.jpg

file photo

PARIS, April 18, 2013 (AFP) - Brigitte Bardot has issued an appeal to Thai Premier Yingluck Shinawatra to clamp down on the slaughtering of dogs in illegal abattoirs.

In an open letter published on Wednesday, the veteran French actress and animal rights campaigner claims 100,000 canines are being killed every year in Tha Rae in the northeast of Thailand while a similar number are exported alive to meet a similar fate.

"Tha Rae is the centre of a squalid trade in which dogs are killed for their meat or their skin in underground abattoirs after being captured in the street or stolen from their owners," Bardot writes.

"Every year, 100,000 dogs are killed there. As many if not more are illegally exported from all over Thailand in atrocious conditions, crammed and starved during a 36-hour road journey in order to be brutally killed and eaten in Vietnam."

Bardot urges Yingluck to watch a YouTube video -- "Hell on Earth - Thailand's Dog Meat Trade" -- saying it will not fail to move her.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-04-18

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very graphic video! Leave it to the Thais to figure out how to make a business out of killing dogs. Leave it to the Thais to figure out how to "tool up" to make the business of killing dogs and manufacturing dog meat pay off.

Edited by george
Added youtube embedded video link
  • Like 1

Might take you a bit more seriously, Bridget, if it weren't for your rabid racist rants over the past 15 years, the fact that you married one of the French NF leaders doesn't help. I'm vegetarian, but I I still think you need to sort out your hate fuelled thinking before telling the rest of us how to behave.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Complete nonsense. Does she also campaign for the pigs, cows, chicken, etc. we "slaughter" and eat?

I don't think dogs in Thailand are stolen from their owners in order to eat them... Luckily my pet is a cat... whistling.gif

She does, but only it appears if is done in halal slaughterhouses.

Might take you a bit more seriously, Bridget, if it weren't for your rabid racist rants over the past 15 years, the fact that you married one of the French NF leaders doesn't help. I'm vegetarian, but I I still think you need to sort out your hate fuelled thinking before telling the rest of us how to behave.

And what about the sweet little piggy wiggies, the feathery little chickies kept in cages..... they also dont want to die.....oh Bridget, forgot that you have dogs as pets. I hope you dont feed them meat though!

• Like 2

I was almost physically sick watching this video. I find it hard to understand how humans can be so cruel.

I wish I could do something to stop this trade.

I know what I would really like to do to the perpetrators though!!

I really hope there is a law of Karma

• Like 1

thais find our habbit to eat rabbit absolutely repulsive ....if they want to eat dogs or cats and culling is done in a "human " way i dont see any problem there

i am more horrified by the way we raise caged hens and so on

• Like 2

In the west a dog is part of the family........comparing the slaughter of a cow or a pig to them in the eyes of western is just plain silly.

I don't have a problem with the people of Vietnam eating dog but I had a big problem watching the way they are treated.

Why anyone would want to criticize BB for pointing out the cruelty within the business is beyond me.

In the western world they are treated as family some times. Other times they are raised to fight.

Also they have owners who do not allow them to run wild.

How do you figure a dog is treated as family if it is allowed to run uncontrolled in packs?

I was almost physically sick watching this video. I find it hard to understand how humans can be so cruel.

I wish I could do something to stop this trade.

I know what I would really like to do to the perpetrators though!!

I really hope there is a law of Karma

Have no intention or watching it. Nor am I interested in watching one of cows, pigs and chicken being slaughtered for there meat. Or the living conditions they are put through to fatten them up for the slaughter.

• Like 1

Translation from an article which mentions the modern way of slautering dogs:

While the dof is still alive he is hanged with a hook in his neck. Then he is beaten using metal bar for a couple of minutes before being killed by being hit with a hammer between the eyes!

It is believed that adrenaline makes the meat softer!

Are we usually that cruel toward cows, pigs chickens, rabits, ect...? Is that a human way of killing an animal? Knowing how they get slaugthered can anyone keep joking or supporting this trade?

• Like 2

Complete nonsense. Does she also campaign for the pigs, cows, chicken, etc. we "slaughter" and eat?

I don't think dogs in Thailand are stolen from their owners in order to eat them... Luckily my pet is a cat... whistling.gif

We are all well aware of the fact that Dog's are the humans best animal friends, and they can not be compared with the

animals you mentioned, thus a request to save dog's can not be regarded as nonsense.

Apparently in Thailand humans' best friend is some people's favorite dish. clap2.gif

I am NOT against animal welfare. But what the hell do you think is the difference between killing a dog or a cow for the purpose of food consumption???

Thai do NOT eat dogs. Some they sell it to countries where they do eat dogs, like Vietnam as it was said on the news. BB better say: Thai people, take better care of your dogs.

yes I thought Korea and Vietnam had a much worse record at this than Thailand?

I cannot beleive these post <deleted> !

this lady help stop many animals from dieing brutal deaths like 'whales, Baby Seals in Canada and much more people that know nothing should shut the f up ! this is not legal and will never be! and yes they do run the streets and pick them up most dogs have owners good ones and bad ones but they do have owners, The way the kill them is inhumane they dont kill chickens,ducks,beef,pork like this it done more fast and humanly. Why post something and complain about something that is a kind act from Greenpeace (Brigitte).

please help instead of complaining posters...

• Like 2

IF any of you have seen the video of the way the Indonesians were slaughtering Australian cattle then you would have seen in humanity at it's worst. Nothing surprises me at the way the East and Middle East treat animals let alone humans.

Simple solution to the dog and cat problem is to spade and nute plus limit Thai's to ONE dog per family, good idea BB if you don't like them being eaten shot some idea's and money to this way of thinking to Ying Luck thumbsup.gifWPFflags.gif