Teachers Face Jail Term For Thai Toddler's Death

webfact

Teachers face jail term for toddler's death
DIAW KONGSING
THE NATION

30204206-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police are preparing to press harsher charges against a teacher and an assistant teacher over the death of a young girl who was accidentally locked inside a school van early this month.

Three-year-old Manassanan Thongphu never regained consciousness following the April 3 incident, and died at Bangkok Hospital yesterday morning.

Bang Poo Police Station superintendent Pol Colonel Wichit Boonchitwuttikul said Daorong Srisamung, an assistant teacher, and Santiparp Wanjai, the computer teacher-cum-school van driver, would be charged with recklessness leading to the girl's death.

Initially, they were charged with recklessness that led to her being hospitalised. According to the ongoing investigation, Daorong was responsible for checking arriving students and closing the van's door on April 3. Santiparp was the van driver that day.

If convicted, both face up to 10 years in jail and a maximum fine of Bt20,000.

Wichit said the school would also be held responsible for Manassanan's death.

"This is separate from the civil lawsuits that her parents can file," he added.

The girl's mother, Rattana Nakhonsopa, said she would now focus on arranging the funeral for her daughter and leave it to police to pursue the case.

"I loved my girl so much, it's heartbreaking for us to lose her," said her tearful husband.

The grieving father urged schools to improve safety precautions for all children, irrespective of their age.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-18

RELATED

3-Year-Old Thai Girl Still In I C U After Left Unattended All Day In Parked School Van

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a maximum fine of just over 400 pounds ..... enough said .

And I hope the school owner / director are also charged with a serious crime and seriously punished. They are just as guilty.

Also just wondering whether this 'school' was registered etc?

• Like 1

Dream on, the people on top of this school will never see anything of this sensitive case and buy their way out of accountability.... Face saved, lets keep those cheap uneducated drivers and move on..., but blame ONLY the teachers... Well doesn't mean that I sympathize with the teachers. In fact they are also accountable for the well being of the children..

To confirm my understanding, were the teachers with the children INSIDE the bus as well??? If yes, they're equally accountable for overlooking anyone... because when I went to International school, we were also brought home by school van, mixed with students of all levels, including kindergarten kids, and no teachers in the van...

That's why I'm saying if the teachers were NOT in the van, the drivers must be held accountable... the more it'd be ridiculous to blame the teachers ALONE, IF they were not even inside the van to double check... It doesn't make sense to save face of the transportation unit and crush the teachers ones...

But of course the school directors on the top obviously couldn't care less, because somebody has to take the blame on their behalf, in this case the teachers only,...

• Like 1

Well lets hope that they are found guilty, and in sentencing, there is more emphasis on the up to 10 years in prison.

My thoughts are with the parents.

• Like 2

Once again it's a little 3 years old who is the victim of nonchalance and non professionalism that most of the Thai shows at work sad.pngbah.gif Shame on them, I really wish they will be prosecuted according to the gravity of they irresponsible act but....it is Thailand!

• Like 1

Dream on, the people on top of this school will never see anything of this sensitive case and buy their way out of accountability.... Face saved, lets keep those cheap uneducated drivers and move on..., but blame ONLY the teachers... Well doesn't mean that I sympathize with the teachers. In fact they are also accountable for the well being of the children..

To confirm my understanding, were the teachers with the children INSIDE the bus as well??? If yes, they're equally accountable for overlooking anyone... because when I went to International school, we were also brought home by school van, mixed with students of all levels, including kindergarten kids, and no teachers in the van...

That's why I'm saying if the teachers were NOT in the van, the drivers must be held accountable... the more it'd be ridiculous to blame the teachers ALONE, IF they were not even inside the van to double check... It doesn't make sense to save face of the transportation unit and crush the teachers ones...

But of course the school directors on the top obviously couldn't care less, because somebody has to take the blame on their behalf, in this case the teachers only,...

Previous reports showed that both teachers where inside the van - the female assistant (don't even know if she was teacher) was meant to look after the children and make sure all are out of the bus. While this action was negligent I don't see how they can face more severe punishment than a high ferrari driver running down and killing someone or an unlicenced driver killing 9 van passengers. Sadly, most parents are happy with a payout here. Would love to see them go to jail in liew of a payout. I highly doubt the either will see jail time unless the parents were very well connected.

This is just Thai" pin the tail on the donkey " and it will end up far from it's ass.

From the moment these children boarded that mini van they became the sole responsibility of the carrier and the employer of same. To varying degrees the driver, teachers and the school board are all culpable so why oh why do we just pick on the teachers. It may well have been one of their responsibilities but both the operater of the van and the school board have tangible responsibility in this tragic loss of life through gross carelessness.

I can't even find the words for how sad this makes me feel. Literally made my eyes fill a bit... Awful beyond description in every aspect. No punishment will suffice (my daughter was a 3 year old riding to school in a van just last year) and yet I have some sympathy for the teachers. Awful.

My thoughts exactly. So, so sad.

Although punishment is due, what a terrible mistake to make. Something so simple as a head count or the lack of one has cost this dear little one her life and shattered the lives of her family.

A sad, tragic accident and my thoughts are with the family.

I can't even find the words for how sad this makes me feel. Literally made my eyes fill a bit... Awful beyond description in every aspect. No punishment will suffice (my daughter was a 3 year old riding to school in a van just last year) and yet I have some sympathy for the teachers. Awful.

Yes it is an unfortunate incident, but from what I have seen at our local kintergarten the teathers do a marvelous job. Obviously there was a serious lack of oversight but these teachers have very large classes, I have no idea how they do manage so well.

Don't put all the blame on the teachers, please!!

• Like 1

Yes it is an unfortunate incident, but from what I have seen at our local kintergarten the teathers do a marvelous job. Obviously there was a serious lack of oversight but these teachers have very large classes, I have no idea how they do manage so well.

Don't put all the blame on the teachers, please!!

An "unfortunate incident"?! The scale of that blasé understatement leaves me rather stunned. And to follow with a "but"...

As for your local kindergarten and what you see of it's teachers, with all due respect, that or the fact that presumably most teachers do a good job, has absolutely zero relevance.

Where should the blame for the teacher's action be put if not the teachers?

• Like 1

To "the hang them high brigade" here, at least get your facts right!

For crying out loud, it was a tragic accident, that could have happened anywhere in the world! Yes it was coursed by recklessness and stupidity, but with no intent. And as the teachers have been named and shamed, apart from having to live with the knowledge of coursing a childs death, what good does it do to throw them in jail?? Spoiling the lives of two more families.

@MaxLee. Your uneducated driver was one of the teachers!

Spare your indignation for the Red Bull heir or the young Ms na Ayutthaya.

Agree.

It was a tragic tragic accident.

If the kid had been found after 5-6 minutes instead of 5-6 hours, it would have been a different story.

But the crime is really the same, just with such unbelievable different outcome.

As for the fines, etc.

This is just a matter of old laws which have not been updated yet, just as we experience (crazy old dusty laws) in rest of the world.

You can't relate it to your home currency. It's equivalent to around 1 and a half months salary, which in Australia would be around $5,000 dollars, which is typical financial punishments for crimes.

They also face possible jail sentences of 10 years (or both).

Stop comparing currencies', it does nothing. Look at it in terms of what that local currency means in context.

For crying out loud, it was a tragic accident, that could have happened anywhere in the world! Yes it was coursed by recklessness and stupidity, but with no intent. And as the teachers have been named and shamed, apart from having to live with the knowledge of coursing a childs death, what good does it do to throw them in jail?? Spoiling the lives of two more families.

So...ahm...according to you, no one should be in jail for this?

Because their name is out and they have to live in the knowledge that they killed someone?

And someone who asks for the responsible people to face justice...makes them part of the "hang 'em high"- brigade!

Let me guess: \Thailand is becoming a Nanny- state, right?!

One of the goals of the criminal justice system is to punish wrong doers, and thus to deter other people from doing the same thing. Someone was in fact was responsible for that child's well being, and they failed in a horrible fashion. The school as well must be punished, as they put the system in place that was supposed to protect the children. When both of these parties are punished, that will send a clear signal to every other school of this type, thus ensuring better care of the children in their care. In this way the sad case of the death of this girl can have some meaning by perhaps saving the life of another child in the future....

• Like 1

Thailand's judiciary gives sentences of 18 years for defamation due to loss of 'face', but a death will result in less than half that attached to a pissy 20,000 Baht fine. The legal system of Thailand is simply a joke. What is more important dear judiciary? post-4641-1156693976.gif

The laws of Thailand are such so that nobody can question the status quo because those with most money sue the 4rse off you. That wont change under any government.

This case highlights exactly why I will not let my kids go on any trip outside the school grounds. I only let my children go to swimming lessons if there is 2 foreign teachers present. They are simply inept people who have never paid the consequence of their actions or ihactions

This case highlights exactly why I will not let my kids go on any trip outside the school grounds. I only let my children go to swimming lessons if there is 2 foreign teachers present. They are simply inept people who have never paid the consequence of their actions or ihactions

I agree. I took my kids to school for a trip and having seen the crammed songtaews drove them myself.

I am in the transport trade in the UK. I take children, babies, special needs kids etc etc. The operator has a duty to deliver the children written in contract.

It's the contractor that is at fault, it saddens me that blame has to be placed somewhere but it's a Mai pen rai issue. Thailand is fantastic in many ways but this is a case of simple daily checks not being done.

Even if a child in the UK is 10 minutes late the county council will be on the phone to me wanting answers.

Such a sad death, so very very easily avoided. Accidents happen but if no system is in place how can anyone be at fault?.

I am in the transport trade in the UK. I take children, babies, special needs kids etc etc. The operator has a duty to deliver the children written in contract.

It's the contractor that is at fault, it saddens me that blame has to be placed somewhere but it's a Mai pen rai issue. Thailand is fantastic in many ways but this is a case of simple daily checks not being done.

Even if a child in the UK is 10 minutes late the county council will be on the phone to me wanting answers.

Such a sad death, so very very easily avoided. Accidents happen but if no system is in place how can anyone be at fault?.

Someone is at fault, that's life. But, if I see one more BMW owner driving with their 6 year old standing in the foot well of the passenger seat I will scream.

Tragedies happen, but ignorance abounds about risk in Thailand. They just aren't aware.. But scarier, not apparently willing to listen or learn.

There was a 15 year old kid driving a Mazda sports car to school every day like a maniac. It took 20 parents to talk to the owner that if he hit a kid on the school grounds we would sue the crap out of the school to get it stopped. The owner felt she couldn't compel this family to stop the kids driving to school illegally.

Responsibility and understanding of risk is miles away from Thailand. I can live with it personally, but when it comes to kids it is horribly lax.

• Like 1

Remember that the minimum daily wage there is 300 Bahts, where as in UK it's over £ 6 per hour (equivalent to 2200 Bahts daily wage).

And one year in a Thai jail is no comparison to one year in a British jail.

Put this into perspective before posting BS.

Remember that the minimum daily wage there is 300 Bahts, where as in UK it's over £ 6 per hour (equivalent to 2200 Bahts daily wage).

And one year in a Thai jail is no comparison to one year in a British jail.

Put this into perspective before posting BS.

So should jail sentences be given in proportion to life expectancy in the relative country?

Actually better, maybe should be given to the relative life expectancy of the victim. Kill a three year old by compete incompetence, expect to spend the rest of the victims life expectancy in jail.

By your justification, that would seem fair right?

Great response!

Despite the fact the a young girl's death is horrible, it's Thailand.

Higher fines, longer jail time (obviously like in the West) will do no good.

The fact that the juridical system is so much different from the Western system attracts "us" Westerners to come here.