Scammed Big Time

chooka

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a Finnish guy last year, who went to a place recommended by a Tuk-Tuk driver, and had a 20,000 THB bill.

probably one of those karaoke joints down chang klan. nothing is free in those joints, easy to get burnt if you don't understand the pricing structure, but if you ask straight up before entering what things cost they will tell you. no scam, just ignorant customers.

Why would the brits be going into a french run place on their first night in Thailand, anyway? I thought they hated each other. Can't see the Bib coming to the rescue of a foreign bar owner, either. Blue Sky Bar? Rife with prossies.....No prices posted, I'm bailing, period.

I don't think anyone here will deny that there are loads of scams in LOS, but this was not one of them. Three barfines, perhaps? I know someone that had a 4000 THB bar bill, during a two hour layover at JFK, and that was 20 years ago.

The OP has been a member of this forum for over 2 years, with a good reputation and he would know that the story would get pulled to pieces.

So, what's the reason for posting it?

It's either true, or he's posting it for other reasons, which is anyone's guess.

True or not, I expect it will have an effect on some people, who feel they might wander into the same bar and get scammed. So, if the other reason is to put people off going into either of those two places, it might have some effect. Of course there are also quite a few that will deliberately go in and demand paying as they go, so nothing gained.

Yea well lick my sardine because I know it as a fact and I and my friends had to fork out the the bloody money. I don't give a <deleted> if you believe me or not but I know for a bloody fact 100% this is what happened. What the hell do you want some facts from a link from wikipedia?

Meet us (3) at Tapai gate tonight at 8 p.m and we can all verify it for you and personally take to you to the bar in question

I suspect you were equally reactionary/aggressive in the bar.

Thanks for the offer to take me to the bar but I doubt you would be welcomed back.

I have NEVER heard of anyone being charged 5,000 Baht in such circumstance.

I also find it improbable that anyone would pay 5,000 Baht when they know full well that only 630 Baht was consumed.

Most odd.

Yea well lick my sardine because I know it as a fact and I and my friends had to fork out the the bloody money. I don't give a <deleted> if you believe me or not but I know for a bloody fact 100% this is what happened. What the hell do you want some facts from a link from wikipedia?

Meet us (3) at Tapai gate tonight at 8 p.m and we can all verify it for you and personally take to you to the bar in question

I suspect you were equally reactionary/aggressive in the bar.

Thanks for the offer to take me to the bar but I doubt you would be welcomed back.

I have NEVER heard of anyone being charged 5,000 Baht in such circumstance.

I also find it improbable that anyone would pay 5,000 Baht when they know full well that only 630 Baht was consumed.

Most odd.

As I said and you have reiterated the beer was only 630 baht but he claims 730 baht. Also refuses to offer answers.

Troll

1) did any of your friends leave for an unspecified amount of time.

2) go back tonight and take photos of the bar and post here (blanking out the name, but just for reference)

3) call the tourist police and inform them, they won't do anything but you create a better alibi by doing so

Why would the brits be going into a french run place on their first night in Thailand, anyway? I thought they hated each other. Can't see the Bib coming to the rescue of a foreign bar owner, either. Blue Sky Bar? Rife with prossies.....No prices posted, I'm bailing, period.

I don't think anyone here will deny that there are loads of scams in LOS, but this was not one of them. Three barfines, perhaps? I know someone that had a 4000 THB bar bill, during a two hour layover at JFK, and that was 20 years ago.

What a totally ridiculous and unfounded comment

1.Blue Sky is a THAI run bar and have very well respected owners,no barfines allowed.

2.Certainly not full of "Prossies",very rare for a girl to come in on her own,mostly expats come in to play pool and drink cheap beer (Large Leo and Chang 60b all day!!!)

3.Me and many of my friends have been coming here most days for 4 years or so,and ran up bills that always tallied up.

4.Prices are shown on a Menu at the entrance to the bar,and menus are also behind the bar.

5.Im a Brit and have many french expat friends,most of the french i know like to associate with us rather than their occasional stuck up fellow countrymen in CM.

Get your facts straight

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

I think you should cut the guy some slack, he's reporting an event that we don't like to believe happened so you're all calling B/S, reality is that it may well have gone down as reported so best be nice and find out the details lest you want to be a future casualty also!

• Like 1

Troll.

Don't think so, he's been a forum member too long. Just completely incapable of factually, fully and clearly describing an event.

I guess something happened, but not holding my breath to find out exactly what. Not a week goes by that I don't frequent the bars in that area, and always happily run a tab without issue. (I do check the tab if it's a bar where I don't go often of course, just to make sure I'm on the same page with them on pricing. If the drink price is a bit high for my liking (talking 20 baht differences here) I keep it to one drink and move on, unless there is some incredible attraction that keeps me there. And lady drinks I always ask beforehand. There is a bar that charges 160 baht for them (but.. it was worth it. wink.png ) Either way though it seems unlikely to clock up 5000 baht without something else happening that he's not telling us about. (Friend's first time here.. one of them thinking "hey, that's a nice bell..!" or "sure I'll buy you and all your friends a tequila", then him losing his cool and actually aggravating the situation in some way.. who knows.)

Anyway from his description it would have been one of these: http://goo.gl/maps/s9zjz

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

1.Blue Sky is a THAI run bar and have very well respected owners,no barfines allowed.

2.Certainly not full of "Prossies",very rare for a girl to come in on her own,mostly expats come in to play pool and drink cheap beer (Large Leo and Chang 60b all day!!!)

3.Me and many of my friends have been coming here most days for 4 years or so,and ran up bills that always tallied up.

4.Prices are shown on a Menu at the entrance to the bar,and menus are also behind the bar.

5.Im a Brit and have many french expat friends,most of the french i know like to associate with us rather than their occasional stuck up fellow countrymen in CM.

Get your facts straight

Is it the Blue Moon then, as another poster stated. I plan on verifying the 60 thb large. Another bar in the family acceptable no go-go/no bar fine, everything on the up and up.....yeah, we've heard that before....one or two sponsors come to mind.

Get your facts straight

Is it the Blue Moon then, as another poster stated. I plan on verifying the 60 thb large. Another bar in the family acceptable no go-go/no bar fine, everything on the up and up.....yeah, we've heard that before....one or two sponsors come to mind.

An aforementioned bar from a previous post with "Blue" in its name is french/thai run.Very close to Lucky shall we say!!!! Prossies also.

Dont know a blue moon,maybe you are thinking of half moon,but that is also thai owned,on soi 2 opposite happy bar.

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

If you had actually bothered to read the OP it never said they were Brits but Aussies. But hey why let facts get in the way of your rantings.

• Like 1

I can't think why a two-year forum member of good standing would make up a story like this, so I think something like this probably did happen. The OP seems bad at articulating the details, but that's understandable when one still hasn't got over the event and is feeling furious. Now, calm down and tell us again what the bad men did.

T

Edited by Thakkar
  • Like 1

This story smells as fishy as a six month old jar of bplah rah....

Not at all...

There is a sh_t little bar at the top (northern) and of Kamala called the lion bar.

I also never ever go to bars...but last year a good young mate of mine came out on a bucks week with three of his mates. They were staying in Kamala.

We went to do a pub crawl of the main street and so, just on dark we walked up to the very top bar...which was the lion.

The place was a complete dump and had a couple of scrubber bar girls and one Tom as the cashier.

My mate went to the bar and order 5 sang soms and coke.

We downed the drinks and then went to move on to the next bar to continue our pub crawl.

The bill....2500 THB.

NEVER EVER run a tab....

AND NEVER EVER buy a drink in a strange bar before confirming the price...

Edited by Phronesis

I have no doubts that this happened.

My husband got rolled a couple of weeks ago, only 1,000 baht, but he was rolled and he knows it and will look out for it again. It's hard to argue about a bill when you've had a bit too much to drink because you don't really remember exactly what you've had or put on your tab for other people.

A friend who spends 6 months of every year here (for the last 5 years, so he's not a newbie) got rolled a couple of months ago - he was up for 5,000 baht and he had to pay - they pulled the shutters down, got very nasty. I know for certain he isn't lying about it, he phoned my husband who fortunately had enough money with him to bail him out and he was quite upset and frightened. It definitely happened.

I've listened to other people tell similar stories, it seems to be on the increase in recent months. I've always tried to tell people not to run tabs, pay as you go. When you're really drunk, you have no chance of remembering exactly how many beers you had. But a lot of bars don't like pay as you go and really try to discourage it. Most bars are honest, maybe they'll occasionally add an extra beer to your bill, no big deal; when you're talking of huge amounts like this though, it's not nice.

As I keep saying, unless you are a regular and know the staff, pay as you go is the only sensible option.

My husband got rolled a couple of weeks ago, only 1,000 baht, but he was rolled and he knows it and will look out for it again. It's hard to argue about a bill when you've had a bit too much to drink because you don't really remember exactly what you've had or put on your tab for other people.

Yes, drunks forget what they did or how much they spent.

My personal experience in Chiang Mai bars: the cashier is usually right, even when I don't remember everything super clearly.

And I run tabs, every bar, every night out. Some of my tabs actually spanned a couple weeks before paying. (in bars where they know me and I know them, of course)

I like the cup system, like JP's, and very rarely have I caught them putting someone else's drink ticket in my cup. Accidental? Perhaps, but I try to be a tough accountant, so it would be more difficult to overcharge me, but we're talking about 50 thb or so. Like Mexico, they may give you a big smile, when you allow them to overcharge you, but they will have a lot more respect for you, if you don't, and are a lot less likely to move on to bigger things.

If you drink so much that you don't know what you ordered or for whom (personally, I think that's not a real bright idea) then you have deliberately or not decided that you will leave it up to the bar staff to keep track of it. Is that wise? Then to argue about the bill even though you have already drunk too much to know for sure what your bill should be (but somehow know it's over by 1,000 baht)...yes, that would be hard.

I like to go out and drink regularly, but if i start to lose track of what i've drunk (and i do try and keep track), its probably past time to go home.

with the number of bars about town, i try and keep a 1 bar - 1 beer policy... to take a second drink there must be a good reason, i guess that dodges the tab issue by default.

If the trend is for bars to rip of customers (much like the jet-ski scam) then this is worrying. The music scammers have gone, i hope this isnt the new scam.

which cop shop did the OP get taken to?

Edited by dickyknee