Scammed Big Time

chooka

Cops in attendance ready to march you off???????? Take your mates back to have a yarn and I do mean yarn with the Frenchman in the early quiet hours.And I don't think you're a liar like many of your expat brothers,but it would be wise to put the pump on your new to CM friends as well.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 8th time mention.

can you please tell us what is written on the bill ???

The OP hasn't posted since 10 am so why not stop beatdeadhorse.gif

If you'd had a gut kicking like that would you surface for more.Funny,it might have all been true,seems nobody considered that for a second.

Iv got a feeling the op is telling the truth !!

A cop standing out side the door. when the bill was checked. and the management not willing to

negotiate. Normally bib will try to come to an arrangement, Before taking someone. to the police

station. As in this case. The op was just carted off. Untill the bill was paid " yep scam "

There are two very very important lessons here-

1) Don't run tabs in bars you are not familiar with.

2) Don't post on Thaivisa without a registered member of The Bar check your statement for facts first.

I have no doubts that this happened.

My husband got rolled a couple of weeks ago, only 1,000 baht, but he was rolled and he knows it and will look out for it again. It's hard to argue about a bill when you've had a bit too much to drink because you don't really remember exactly what you've had or put on your tab for other people.

Yes, drunks forget what they did or how much they spent.

I should clarify that my husband wasn't drunk on this night - he paid his tab as he left and was told the next day that he had a bill for 980 baht. He was told that he said he'd buy the drinks for 3 blokes he (or anyone else present) doesn't know. Wouldn't happen. He didn't argue, paid it and put it down to experience and will be wary in the future there, although a new system of keeping tabs seems to have been implimented. Personally, I think I would have argued, but where would it have got me? He was probably right to just leave it rather than get into an argument that he couldn't win.

Is it possible that Chooka rang the bell? If he doesn't go out to bars often, perhaps he doesn't know what it means. Until he comes back on-line we won't know, but it would be good to know how many other people were in the bar - maybe he got the bill for everyone.

The fact that the police were there ready and waiting is rather frightening. It's a situation that I hope I'll never find myself in - I don't go to bars but it happened at the airport duty free (shoplifting accusations). Not quite the same thing I know, but related. I suppose it could happen in any shop, if you are accused of taking something and police are present it would be a horrible situation.

My husband knows which bar the OP is referring to, he said he's never been in but has heard of someone being glassed over a big bill so he avoids it. I realise that the forum rules prevents name and shame. It has been narrowed down enough for most people to guess, just stay away from the French bar near LK road.

I have no reason to doubt the OP. He's normally a genuine poster and anyone who's followed his posts will be well aware of his personal background/career.

This is a nasty type of scam - anyone remember the days when the rule was 'do not go to upstairs bars in Patpong'? Bills of 3,000 baht for a beer or two were common and they locked you in until you paid up (or, if you didn't, they simply took everything out of your wallet and threw you out the back door).

I cant see why he'd be making it up.

He is probably out with his friends seeing CM. Im sure he'll be back to fill in some details when his friends have finished their stay

the 8th time mention.

can you please tell us what is written on the bill ???

The OP hasn't posted since 10 am so why not stop beatdeadhorse.gif

But he was online at 4 pm, so why does he refuse to answer a simple question hat has been asked 8 times already and could clarify everything ?

I have no reason to doubt the OP. He's normally a genuine poster and anyone who's followed his posts will be well aware of his personal background/career.

This is a nasty type of scam - anyone remember the days when the rule was 'do not go to upstairs bars in Patpong'? Bills of 3,000 baht for a beer or two were common and they locked you in until you paid up (or, if you didn't, they simply took everything out of your wallet and threw you out the back door).

i agree with this - I think everyone is looking for a clearer explanation of what exactly happened. The warning itself is very useful.

As an occasional visitor to CM I find it disturbing that the city can be so closely linked with activities normally associated with Patpong or Pattaya. Frankly, I would not have expected something of this magnitude to have occurred in CM.

Does anyone else find it totally distasteful that a Farang bar owner could be in cahoots with the BiB to rip off another Farang? ?

Is it possible that Chooka rang the bell?

That would answer a lot of questions.

Indeed and with friends from Australia who are not familiar with the customs in a Thai bar, I wouldn't be surprised that they rang the bell after a winning pool game without knowing what it actually means .

These things happen all the time.. Last year a friend of mine and my humble self went to a bar in Bkk.. Spent 30 min n 2 bottles of Singha each n we got a bill of 4 500 baht.. We questioned the bill n were asked to either pay or get shot.. My friend spoke to them in thai n the bill was reduced to 2 000 baht we gave 1 200 baht and one of the guys there was delegated to follows us to ATM machine to get the balance, we went out pretend we were call BIB the guy took off.

i agree with this - I think everyone is looking for a clearer explanation of what exactly happened. The warning itself is very useful.

As an occasional visitor to CM I find it disturbing that the city can be so closely linked with activities normally associated with Patpong or Pattaya. Frankly, I would not have expected something of this magnitude to have occurred in CM.

Does anyone else find it totally distasteful that a Farang bar owner could be in cahoots with the BiB to rip off another Farang? ?

If true, yes. Note that I'm not saying it's entirely untrue and he completely made it up; "something" definitely happened. But I've seen enough Farangs make a total dick of themselves in bars to not immediately swallow a vague anonymous post on a forum hook, line and sinker. "something" happened and I doubt we heard it all.

As for police being there, does anyone know what time all of this transpired? We don't. But if this was very late at night then it's not unusual to have police around. Also keep in mind that it's very near Lucky Club (after hours place) which tends to get some police presence late at night.

As for police in general, most of the time I see them get involved in some bar dispute it's to great benefit of some idiot customer making a scene. Typically they have a calming effect on the situation and things get sorted out.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Yeah.. also if someone really doesn't know then it's unlikely that this suddenly forces a huge bill with no way out, when it was an honest mistake.

But yes, when I ring the bell I first want it spelled out how many drinks it involves, for who and what the total cost will be. ;) (I only do it when a child of mine is born, or my country wins a major tournament. So that's not a lot. :) )

Never happened.

Why's that then? This ain't Noddyland, it DOES happen. Perhaps the op is peeved off with the response to not bother responding. If it did indeed happen. I will certainly putting one of these in (giggle.gif) when one of you sherberts gets had.

Chiangmai Foxy, on 18 Apr 2013 - 15:59, said:

Thighlander, on 18 Apr 2013 - 14:59, said:

Why would the brits be going into a french run place on their first night in Thailand, anyway? I thought they hated each other. Can't see the Bib coming to the rescue of a foreign bar owner, either. Blue Sky Bar? Rife with prossies.....No prices posted, I'm bailing, period.

I don't think anyone here will deny that there are loads of scams in LOS, but this was not one of them. Three barfines, perhaps? I know someone that had a 4000 THB bar bill, during a two hour layover at JFK, and that was 20 years ago.

What a totally ridiculous and unfounded comment

1.Blue Sky is a THAI run bar and have very well respected owners,no barfines allowed.

2.Certainly not full of "Prossies",very rare for a girl to come in on her own,mostly expats come in to play pool and drink cheap beer (Large Leo and Chang 60b all day!!!)

3.Me and many of my friends have been coming here most days for 4 years or so,and ran up bills that always tallied up.

4.Prices are shown on a Menu at the entrance to the bar,and menus are also behind the bar.

5.Im a Brit and have many french expat friends,most of the french i know like to associate with us rather than their occasional stuck up fellow countrymen in CM.

Get your facts straight

60bht i will be having some of that next time in town

Since the OP says it's true, why doesn't someone there visit the place, name the place and ask about their friend from a day or two ago that paid a lot for a couple of beers. No slander, no libel, just the facts.

The OP is smart in not specifically naming the place, if he did the moderator would have to delete the name or the post. In Thailand even the facts can be prosecuted as libel if someone takes offense at the implications.

I may know of the place in question. Is this one of those bars with arrangements to stay open long past legal closing time? If so it is not know for having highly respectbale staff or clentelle.

Sounds like the possibility of a "rogue" cop in a temporary and or involuntary "partnership" with the bar owner to shake-down clueless looking tourist-types that will pay and go. The OP says he seldom goes to bars,so he could easily 'vibe the part' along with the other two genuine tourist. We need to clearly confirm the actual bar.

Or....one of the yobs accidentally rang the bell with the end of his pool-Q......ooops! w00t.gif

Since the OP says it's true, why doesn't someone there visit the place, name the place and ask about their friend from a day or two ago that paid a lot for a couple of beers. No slander, no libel, just the facts.

The OP is smart in not specifically naming the place, if he did the moderator would have to delete the name or the post. In Thailand even the facts can be prosecuted as libel if someone takes offense at the implications.

Yes, I keep reading this and find it intriguing.

Any chance of a link that shows someone being prosecuted for libel, by a foreign bar owner?

Or something / anything similar?

Yes, I keep reading this and find it intriguing.

Any chance of a link that shows someone being prosecuted for libel, by a foreign bar owner?

Or something / anything similar?

How about someone being prosecuted for reporting evidence of migrant labor abuses?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624318-british-activist-fighting-to-avoid-thai-jail-term/?hl=%20activist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9900745/British-human-rights-activist-faces-Thai-jail-threat.html

Here's an older one about a woman charged after reporting the obvious, that Thaksin affiliated companies enjoyed huge profit growth after he became Prime Minister:

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/urgent-appeals/UA-73-2004

And an interesting story in the Bangkok Post about Thailands' libel laws:

Makes a mockery of the cliche "The truth will set you free."

Edited by onthedarkside
link to other forum removed

I don't doubt the OP although the location I find a bit strange. It is normal practise for the kareoke bars along Chang Klan road to scam first time visitors. The scam includes the tuk tuk drivers and the local police who are all in on the scam. The tourist comes in and orders one drink, but is immediately surrounded by women who order everything under the sun and put it on the poor guy's tab. Then when he tries to leave he is presented with a bill of 20,000 baht. If he refuses to pay he is surrounded by thugs and the local police who are in on the scam. It's happened many times. I'm just surprised it happened on the moat road near Thai Pei gate. I've only had good experiences at the Blue Sky, Maddog, Johns and a bar that is open to the lane as well as the moat road. It's near Loi Kroh road. But, I seldom have more than one beer and then leave. I seldom order food.