Scammed Big Time

chooka

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed and with friends from Australia who are not familiar with the customs in a Thai bar, I wouldn't be surprised that they rang the bell after a winning pool game without knowing what it actually means .

Every Aussie knows what it means to ring the bell.

Not true canman. I'm an Aussie and I have never heard of that term before.

Almost every Aussie then.

laugh.png

Id be fairly sure if i took a poll of ten Aussie friends, not more than one would know what that term meant.

Indeed and with friends from Australia who are not familiar with the customs in a Thai bar, I wouldn't be surprised that they rang the bell after a winning pool game without knowing what it actually means .

Every Aussie knows what it means to ring the bell.

Almost every Aussie then.

i didn't know what it meant , coming from a sheltered upbringing , until i stumbled into Pattaya .i do now!! I also do know what turning a beer glass upside down on the bar means too and that is an aussie tradition..

IF it's the "Coloured" Bar then all I can say is that I do frequent the place and have a tab, sometimes I pay on the night, other times I'll pay them next time I'm in. which could be 1-2 weeks later. I make a mental note of how many beers I've had in ANY bar and so therefore when I ask for the bill I already know how much it is.

Never had a discrepancy in this bar or any other I frequent in CM.

The owner is French and is a complete P--head and incapable, certainly later on in the evening, of trying to scam anyone. In fact I've seen the reverse where people have left without paying the bill and he just shrugs his shoulders. He say's it's not worth the hassle of getting the police involved.

• Like 1

Every bar I go to around Loh Kroh etc and that is a lot of them....I always get given an itemised bill at the end of the evening.....I believe the course of events, no reason not to....but a French owned bar around Tai Pai gate in collusion with BIB? Something does not add up here!

The most sensible suggestion, is the ringing of the bell, even then you would struggle to run up a bill of 5k unless a busy bar.

Does the OP remember someone ringing a bell? There would be a little cheer if he did? Was the bar busy?

But the location does not seem to add up ...100m on the left after turning right from Tai Pai Gate? Spotlight and then 3/4 more bars before Loh Kroh. No girls in sight in the bar?

• Like 1

i didn't know what it meant , coming from a sheltered upbringing , until i stumbled into Pattaya .i do now!! I also do know what turning a beer glass upside down on the bar means too and that is an aussie tradition..

Does it have to be empty ?? ......... sorry, I am not familiar with Aussie idiosyncrasies.

I don't doubt the OP although the location I find a bit strange. It is normal practise for the kareoke bars along Chang Klan road to scam first time visitors. The scam includes the tuk tuk drivers and the local police who are all in on the scam. The tourist comes in and orders one drink, but is immediately surrounded by women who order everything under the sun and put it on the poor guy's tab. Then when he tries to leave he is presented with a bill of 20,000 baht. If he refuses to pay he is surrounded by thugs and the local police who are in on the scam. It's happened many times. I'm just surprised it happened on the moat road near Thai Pei gate. I've only had good experiences at the Blue Sky, Maddog, Johns and a bar that is open to the lane as well as the moat road. It's near Loi Kroh road. But, I seldom have more than one beer and then leave. I seldom order food.

though you post some good observations about our town, on this instance you are full of shit.

I was talking to a young bloke tonight about the *scam* of the karaoke bars along Chang Klan tonight. he got done.

they are not a scam, they are though a huge trap for new players for those who dont understand the pricing structure. they are very open about how much what costs if you ask beforehand. easy to get sucked in with all the pretty ladies out the front, they'll cost you about 400baht each for 1 hour just to be in the room.

the pricing actually works out not too bad if you are in a group looking for a private function, though the cheap charlies won't get their 3 big changs happy hour there.

you cannot go into those joints alone and drink a beer and leave just paying for the beer. no scam, just ignorance.

I'll stand by what I originally wrote. I know the difference between a scam and a legitimate business. I have no personal experiences in those bars because I am female. However, I have spoken to 3 reliable sources. They were different men who had all been scammed at different times by the kareoke bars on Chiang Klan road. And, these guys were not the common drunkards who were too intoxicated to know where they were being taken. They were just greenhorns relying on a tuk tuk drivers advice.

It would seem then in this instance the difference between a scam and a legitimate business is the (in)ability of the customer to ask "how much" before agreeing to purchase.

RB0vB.gif

What a thread!

I'm sure the OP is cursing the moment he had decided to post all this here.

Yes he is and man enough to admit it.

Doesn't make it less true tho.

Actually he was so pissed off that is why he posted it.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I do not know the name of the place as have been to a bar 3 times in my time here but apparently it is up for sale with a price tag of 2 mil baht. Saw the posters on the wall.

That should narrow it down a bit for those who remain unclear on the location.

Come on guys. The OP is missing in Action. Some of you know the bar in question. Surely one of you has visited and asked the owner his version.

The suspense is killing me. smile.png

Not actually missing in action. The wife did not take to kindly to being called 11.30 p.m and then she drives in from Sansai. Those of you attached or married will understand why I was laying low.

Seriously?? I am guessing you are fairly young or never drank in a 'local' in Aus??

I guess that I stand corrected, I lived 20 years in Aus and I am fairly sure that every bar I have ever been in has a bell. Possibly it is a dying tradition and newer bars have dispensed with the tradition. Come to think of it, with the price of a drink in Aus these days I could understand the bells being taken down for lack of use.

If you served in the Australian Military, then you would definately know what the bell meant. Sergeants/officers mess especially but the rank/file know also.

• Like 1

I do not know the name of the place as have been to a bar 3 times in my time here but apparently it is up for sale with a price tag of 2 mil baht. Saw the posters on the wall.

That should narrow it down a bit for those who remain unclear on the location.

um, it has thai employees, about 200 metres down from thai pai gate. People on here have been talking about blue bar but I don't know as I don't frequent bars. I can't name and shame if I wanted to. They all looked the same with thier wooded fronts.

Definately not trolling, it happened.

The bill was for numerous beers and 5 meals. We defeinately had 3 beers each played some pool and did not even eat a peanut. There were no bargirls in the place either we chatted and played pool with a group of other farangs (brits). Yes we used the toilet but apparently that was free. I do not know the name of the place as have been to a bar 3 times in my time here but apparently it is up for sale with a price tag of 2 mil baht. Saw the posters on the wall.

For those of you that suggested I was trying to get an alabi, I don't know what I needed one for as we committed no crimes. I even had my wife (thai) attend to help and try sort it out.

Yes I was really pissed off when I 1st posted and it was the priciple of being taken and not the money, lesson well learnt.

Ah, welcome back. As you might have seen, we've had quite a discussion on your post while you were away. You say you had 5 meals, so let us assume 5 of you. You said 'at least 3 beers each', so let us assume 4 each. That is 20 beers, 5 meals and playing pool? Was the price for the beer and meals mentioned in the menu? Edited by saakura

Yes, I keep reading this and find it intriguing.

Any chance of a link that shows someone being prosecuted for libel, by a foreign bar owner?

Or something / anything similar?

How about someone being prosecuted for reporting evidence of migrant labor abuses?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624318-british-activist-fighting-to-avoid-thai-jail-term/?hl=%20activist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9900745/British-human-rights-activist-faces-Thai-jail-threat.html

Here's an older one about a woman charged after reporting the obvious, that Thaksin affiliated companies enjoyed huge profit growth after he became Prime Minister:

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/urgent-appeals/UA-73-2004

And an interesting story in the Bangkok Post about Thailands' libel laws:

Makes a mockery of the cliche "The truth will set you free."

Migrant labour abuses, Aung San Suu Kyi. Thaksin etc.!!

I was hoping for a local bar owner that has successfully sued someone for naming and shaming them, or something similar like a local restaurant for calling its food <deleted>.

You're unlikely to find one. What individual or small business will take on the court costs and time requirements to fight a well connected person threatening to sue of libel?

But you can be the first. I'm sure you can find some police or government official living suspiciously well. Why don't you publish or blog some verifiable facts about this person's lifestyle then fight for your right to publish the truth if they charge you with libel? If that's too big a fight for you, you can set up your own website and publish restaurant reviews and reports of dodgy bars, always being careful to use factual information. Good luck.

Or perhaps you think that the abscence of bad restaurant reviews and reports on dodgy bars is because there are no bad restaurants of dodgy bars in Thailand?

The bill was for numerous beers and 5 meals. We defeinately had 3 beers each played some pool and did not even eat a peanut. There were no bargirls in the place either we chatted and played pool with a group of other farangs (brits). Yes we used the toilet but apparently that was free. I do not know the name of the place as have been to a bar 3 times in my time here but apparently it is up for sale with a price tag of 2 mil baht. Saw the posters on the wall.

For those of you that suggested I was trying to get an alabi, I don't know what I needed one for as we committed no crimes. I even had my wife (thai) attend to help and try sort it out.

Yesbut it was then I was really pissed off when I 1st posted and it was the priciple of being taken and not the money, lesson well learnt.

Ah, welcome back. As you might have seen, we've had quite a discussion on your post while you were away. You say you had 5 meals, so let us assume 5 of you. You said 'at least 3 beers each', so let us assume 4 each. That is 20 beers, 5 meals and playing pool? Was the price for the beer and meals mentioned in the menu?

Actually they were but it was the end price total that we payed attention too, and not the individual prices. Sorry my memory of every item is not that good, had more pressing things on my (our) minds. trying to negotiate and prevent a mate from ripping the left arm off the owner shoving it though his ears and riding him around the bar like a bicycle.

We discussed it further today, my mates and I and we have a feeling and just that, maybe we recieved the tab of the other farangs we met in there who left prior to us,

We have sucked it now mellowed and won't go back there

Edited by chooka

We discussed it further today, my mates and I and we have a feeling and just that, maybe we recieved the tab of the other farangs we met in there who left prior to us,

That was my first thought, given everything else said, when I saw this:

"There were no bargirls in the place either we chatted and played pool with a group of other farangs (brits). "

Edited by SteeleJoe

The bill was for numerous beers and 5 meals. We defeinately had 3 beers each played some pool and did not even eat a peanut. There were no bargirls in the place either we chatted and played pool with a group of other farangs (brits).

Bar girls would have been cheaper. You need to look at your observances whilst out and about.

Yes I was really pissed off when I 1st posted and it was the priciple of being taken and not the money, lesson well learnt.

Dont think Lucky is up for sale and that is half french/thai, b&b Sugar bar has been up for sale about 2 years for 2 milion or so,but thats after loh kroh next to 7 eleven and jammers delight ...

A previous poster said the french guy next to Lucky at B*ue Bar doesnt call the police!!!!!

Just drive past the bar in question and give the many posters a clue,some know already im sure smile.png

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

Yesbut it was then I was really pissed off when I 1st posted and it was the priciple of being taken and not the money, lesson well learnt.

Ah, welcome back. As you might have seen, we've had quite a discussion on your post while you were away. You say you had 5 meals, so let us assume 5 of you. You said 'at least 3 beers each', so let us assume 4 each. That is 20 beers, 5 meals and playing pool? Was the price for the beer and meals mentioned in the menu?

Actually they were but it was the end price total that we payed attention too, and not the individual prices. Sorry my memory of every item is not that good, had more pressing things on my (our) minds. trying to negotiate and prevent a mate from ripping the left arm off the owner shoving it though his ears and riding him around the bar like a bicycle.

We have sucked it now mellowed and won't go back there

Even if this is the case, take your 9 beers off, leaves about 5,000. Meals and drinks for them still unlikely to be so much?? Perhaps not, I don't get out much after dark.

All part of the reason I never run a tab anywhere and pay as I go. No surprises this way.

Nobody should run a tab here in my opinion.

Tab is ok as long as you look at it after every drink is delivered and verify.... worst Ive had is tab loading where 3-4 extra drinks piled onto tab... rare but happens... suggest something else is going on with situation as described by OP. Belive waht he says but there must have been mitigating reasons for the extra charge

Yes, I keep reading this and find it intriguing.

Any chance of a link that shows someone being prosecuted for libel, by a foreign bar owner?

Or something / anything similar?

How about someone being prosecuted for reporting evidence of migrant labor abuses?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624318-british-activist-fighting-to-avoid-thai-jail-term/?hl=%20activist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9900745/British-human-rights-activist-faces-Thai-jail-threat.html

Here's an older one about a woman charged after reporting the obvious, that Thaksin affiliated companies enjoyed huge profit growth after he became Prime Minister:

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/urgent-appeals/UA-73-2004

And an interesting story in the Bangkok Post about Thailands' libel laws:

Makes a mockery of the cliche "The truth will set you free."

Migrant labour abuses, Aung San Suu Kyi. Thaksin etc.!!

I was hoping for a local bar owner that has successfully sued someone for naming and shaming them, or something similar like a local restaurant for calling its food <deleted>.

You're unlikely to find one. What individual or small business will take on the court costs and time requirements to fight a well connected person threatening to sue of libel?

But you can be the first. I'm sure you can find some police or government official living suspiciously well. Why don't you publish or blog some verifiable facts about this person's lifestyle then fight for your right to publish the truth if they charge you with libel? If that's too big a fight for you, you can set up your own website and publish restaurant reviews and reports of dodgy bars, always being careful to use factual information. Good luck.

Or perhaps you think that the abscence of bad restaurant reviews and reports on dodgy bars is because there are no bad restaurants of dodgy bars in Thailand?

Bingo!!

The bill was for numerous beers and 5 meals.

Numerous beers?

If you are presented with a ridiculous bill, as it seems you were, you should of been asking them for not some sort of rough figure, but an exact break-down of all the items they think you have consumed. Questions like, exactly how many beers are you charging us for? Exactly what was the cost of the 5 meals you are saying we had? That would of been how to expose their rip off and get them to back down. By getting them to justify on paper the 5,000 baht. Not asking too much, to be presented with an itemized bill, when the bill is into the thousands, and i imagine the police would have supported such a request from you, unless they were all in on it, including all of the police at the station, which seems a bit unlikely.

Perhaps easier said than done, particularly with a belly full of beer, but keeping a cool and clear head might have helped.

I know of one guy who will most likely read this thread that dropped over 10,000 baht on a lock in, I watched another guy drop 7,000 baht in the same place.

One thing having some crafty bugger rip you off of a night out, but going around dropping your money?!... well that's beyond careless...

Good job you were on hand to pick it all up.

• Like 1