Scammed Big Time

chooka

Last night I went out out for a drink with some friends from Australia. We atttended a bar just near the Thai pai Gate apparently owned by a young french guy. I have been out to a bar 3 times in (7) seven years so definately do not frequent bars.

When we arrived I ordered 3 chaing's and we played some pool after 3 rounds I went to pay the bill,( they insisted we run a tab). My bill was 5,675 baht. I started to question it and the BIB were right there. I was arrested because I did not have that money on me. (1) chanig at 70 baht / 9 = 730 baht. My friends from Australia collated the total price and after 3 hours I was released without charge.

This was my friends 1st day in Thailand and they got no sleeep as I have not got yet.

Why the XXXX did I have to pay this extortion just to be able to go home?

Edited by metisdead
Profanity

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say "collated" you mean you all examined the bill and saw the error? Did the French guy offer any explanation of the extra charges? Did you need to pay to be released? Are you planning any follow up on the incident?

Expensive games of pool perhaps?

Seriously though, it sounds like a nasty experience. To be carted away to the Police station in such circumstances.

I presume you saw the breakdown of the charges on the bill? What were their reasons given for this extortion?

I do find this funny. 3 friends, bar girls, french owner, BiB, you run a tab, first night......LOL

He should have charged you 105,678 baht and took all your passports.

ah, don't worry.....we are talking about less than $200 USD.....divided by 3 people....

you are not in your own country........so anything is possible and you should be excited to get some culture.

i can meet you outside the 7-11 and sell you some chang beers for only 500 each.

• Like 1

similar thing happened to us years ago in Phuket when a friend who had never been to Thailand before was 'buying' girls drinks while we were playing pool. before we knew it the bill was around 6k and we had had one drink. luckily we spotted him and paid and left.

So did you have to pay the bill?

Did you buy any girls drinks?

No girls within 200 kms that I know of, the BIB were already there before I went to pay the bill. It was just 3 beers each between 3 of us and about 8 games of pool between friends.

I met a Finnish guy last year, who went to a place recommended by a Tuk-Tuk driver, and had a 20,000 THB bill. He said he only had 7K on him, and there were lots of threats. Lots of lady drinks......Thapae Gate? I don't believe it. I've been to Johns's Place about 100 times and never had a bill more than 650 THB, and according to them, I drink beer like water, and JP's prices aren't that great, either.......the VIP card is helpful. Me a Brit and an Italian went to Dayli, drank an entire case of Tiger Large, had three entrees and a pack of smokes, and our tab was about 720 THB. The Tiger girl held up four fingers...we had done 4 promotions......

How about answering some of the questions to give your story some credibility.

What was on you bill?

What were you actually charged for?

What did the Owner tell the Police you did not pay?

Simple questions.

• Like 1

Let me repeat myself, what did the bill show?

was told to pay the f'n amount all spend the next few months in the cells. Payed the f'n owner via the police. Bill was you owe this pay or bring your toothbrush for the nexy 3 months.

How far from Tha Phae was this bar?

come out of walking street through the gate, look to your right and walk approx 200 mtres it is on your left

200 Meters is between Spotlight bar and corner of Loh Kroh and I think the first bar is Lucky bar and then Blue Bar or something.

Bad name for a bar. Blue Bar. Sounds too close to Blue Balls.

A couple of those bars have pool tables.

Someone needs to go interview the owner and employees to solve this.

Definitely lacking some important details here

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

Can happen. I had a friend on his first visit here. A couple of drinks late at night and were given a huge bill and were surrounded by some nasty looking people until they paid.