Scammed Big Time

chooka

Whatever happened, something seriously bothered the OP and he felt he should post.

I guess seeds of doubt (for some) have been placed on a French owned bar in that area, in which case it's basically mission accomplished.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is that they frequently forget to charge me everything I ordered.

And of course the usual charging additional item to my bill, for the most case I'm assuming its accidental.

In many countries I have visited, I have never experienced as much billing errors as I do in thailand. Are thais just careless?

Edited by tangcoral

My problem is that they frequently forget to charge me everything I ordered.

And of course the usual charging additional item to my bill, for the most case I'm assuming its accidental.

In many countries I have visited, I have never experienced as much billing errors as I do in thailand. Are thais just careless?

Have you ever been out with a Thai?

Lesson's should be learned from the way they scrutinize every item on the bill, they know what happens. wink.png

• Like 1

All part of the reason I never run a tab anywhere and pay as I go. No surprises this way.

Agree, on the rare occasion I go to bars I insist that I pay for every drink as it comes and I get an agreement from friends who are also going to the bar that we all follow the same routine.

I've been in Thailand three decades plus and in the early days got caught a couple of times with padded bills, hence I now for each drink as it comes, and it's simple and painless.

If they really try to insist on a tab, then we pay and politely leave, no drama, just leave. There are many places to drink, anywhere in Thailand /anywhere in the world.

How about someone being prosecuted for reporting evidence of migrant labor abuses?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/624318-british-activist-fighting-to-avoid-thai-jail-term/?hl=%20activist

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9900745/British-human-rights-activist-faces-Thai-jail-threat.html

Here's an older one about a woman charged after reporting the obvious, that Thaksin affiliated companies enjoyed huge profit growth after he became Prime Minister:

http://www.humanrights.asia/news/urgent-appeals/UA-73-2004

And an interesting story in the Bangkok Post about Thailands' libel laws:

Makes a mockery of the cliche "The truth will set you free."

Migrant labour abuses, Aung San Suu Kyi. Thaksin etc.!!

I was hoping for a local bar owner that has successfully sued someone for naming and shaming them, or something similar like a local restaurant for calling its food <deleted>.

You're unlikely to find one. What individual or small business will take on the court costs and time requirements to fight a well connected person threatening to sue of libel?

But you can be the first. I'm sure you can find some police or government official living suspiciously well. Why don't you publish or blog some verifiable facts about this person's lifestyle then fight for your right to publish the truth if they charge you with libel? If that's too big a fight for you, you can set up your own website and publish restaurant reviews and reports of dodgy bars, always being careful to use factual information. Good luck.

Or perhaps you think that the abscence of bad restaurant reviews and reports on dodgy bars is because there are no bad restaurants of dodgy bars in Thailand?

Bingo!!

Your point being?

The only examples I could find of people fighting libel charges in Thailand involved people who had the option of leaving the country

and who also had deep pocketed backers. That tells me that the threat of libel charges silences all others into submission. What

is your interpretation?

Maybe there was nothing written on the bill but the price - maybe it was in Thai and he couldn't read it (I can read Thai, but rarely can I read the scribbled I get on restraint and bar bills!).

I once got ripped off maybe 4 years ago in a bar near BigC Hang Dong. My dada had come to visit and as we went for a walk and on the off chance stopped off at a karaoke place we passed (in all truth we didn't know it was karaoke until we were in there). We were charged about 3k I think - but did have two bottles of Sang Som, several beers, bought some girls some soft drinks (knew that was gonna cost - and warned Dad, but hey). Was a bit pissed off, but just joked in Thai making it obvious we were aware of their scam, paid and left. In fact a few times my dad tried to buy the girls some drinks and one of the girls whispered back - "no need, paeng, later, ok" (I explained to him what paeng was :D).

Once in Loy Kroh I took my Dad (visiting again) on a pub crawl and he got a bit plastered - he had this young lady all over him and following him - I player translator until I( got bored and started playing the bar staff connect4 for drinks (I'm good at connect4 :D) ). Anyway, just before we had to shoot to get back home, just before closing, the girl was hinting at a room - to which he chickened out, mum would not approve (he had landed a few French kisses though - I managed to hold on to my dinner, just). So, he says to the girl that he had to leave- he had a wife etc - and goes to walk away. I said, "Dad you have had her company all night, you should give her something" (she had drank just 2 or 3 fruit juices at regular prices. So he walks back had slips her 20 baht!!! (I slipped her a few hundreds as I left). Poor girl.

• Like 2

I know of one guy who will most likely read this thread that dropped over 10,000 baht on a lock in, I watched another guy drop 7,000 baht in the same place.

One thing having some crafty bugger rip you off of a night out, but going around dropping your money?!... well that's beyond careless...

Good job you were on hand to pick it all up.

Or they had seriously happy cleaners.