Motorbike Driving Test

tomcreeduk

Does anyone have any experience of a foreigner ( british ) doing a motorbike test in Thailand. I'm only talking doing a test for a 125 cc pull back & go automatic bike not a Harley or R1 bike.

Where can you do it ( if you can )

How much etc.

If this is the wrong forum I apologies in advance.

Thanks

Any advise would be good.

I have done the test for a motorbike. You can do it at the Department of Land Transport Office that is closest to you. It has been written about to death on this forum and about every other one that I can think of that is aimed at expats living in Thailand. It would be helpful if you stated:

• Where you are
  • If you hold a valid license from your home country
  • What kind of visa you are on
  • Etc.

When you google it, you will find that these things are important.

Physical Test - You may or may not have to do all of the following:

Depth Perception - You sit with an archaic Atari-like remote control. You move a 'stick' forward to be between two other 'sticks'. Then, they slide it forward. You move the 'stick' back to fit between the 'sticks' again.

Color - They point to a dots on a large board full of different colored dots. You say the color.

Peripheral Vision - You sit looking forward with your chin on some contraption. You state the color and the side when a light flashes (example: red, right).

Sometimes, you can do it in English. In my experience, it was all in Thai ....

Thanks for your replies. Sorry should of given you more to work with.

I'm a British citizen, spend 6 months a year in Thailand. Got a full UK driving licence and had for 15 years ish but unable to drive a motorbike in England as I'm not covered by the licence I got due to passed after a certain year I believe.

Only thing concerns me I won't pass it if its just in Thai as not that confident yet.

Thanks for the link ill get reading through that.

Edited by tomcreeduk

Thanks for your replies. Sorry should of given you more to work with. I'm a British citizen, spend 6 months a year in Thailand. Got a full UK driving licence and had for 15 years ish but unable to drive a motorbike in England as I'm not covered by the licence I got due to passed after a certain year I believe. Only thing concerns me I won't pass it if its just in Thai as not that confident yet. Thanks for the link ill get reading through that.

After you have filled in all the relevant forms, you will have a colour blindness test and an emergency braking reaction time test.

The test examination in Chiang Mai is in English and there are about 30 questions to it.

When I went for my test, there was no instructional video to watch before hand. The man in charge said, "you take test, you fail you take test again straight away". Obviously without any instruction I failed the test, fortunately at the end of the test the computer tells you the answers that you got wrong... so bring a pen and paper with you! I took the test again straight away and passed!

You will then go out on to their test track on your motorbike and ride around their simulated roadway system under the watchful eye of another examiner, if you pass the roadway part of the test then you will be issued with a licence.

All in all it took about 3 hrs to get my licence.

If you have a car licence then you can get a Thai car licence without taking test. Just fill out some forms and get a new photo taken.

Edited by Greeen

Thanks for your replies. Sorry should of given you more to work with. I'm a British citizen, spend 6 months a year in Thailand. Got a full UK driving licence and had for 15 years ish but unable to drive a motorbike in England as I'm not covered by the licence I got due to passed after a certain year I believe. Only thing concerns me I won't pass it if its just in Thai as not that confident yet. Thanks for the link ill get reading through that.

I did my full test in SaKaeo went to the immigration first and got the paper required from them plus my Drs cert. After registering done the reaction test and sight test both very easy then onto the theory which was done in Thai I had close to no idea what they were talking about but passed that test on the computer 26/30. Then went out on the bike and went round a small circuit very easy it was just a long day. I have to go back every year and get a new one which only takes a few hours to do to get the licence renewed. Not sure what other provinces are like. I only use a tourist visa but if you have a different visa you may be able to get a 5 year license after the first year.

There is only one bike licence in Thailand that I know of so you can ride any size of bike when you get it.

There is only one bike licence in Thailand that I know of so you can ride any size of bike when you get it.

True, there is only 1 bike licence, I hope they change this at some point, with readily available 250s, 500s, er6ns, monsters etc at good prices there are way too many inexperienced riders on the roads with too much power between their legs - honda and co should provide rider training with the new 500 range.

So in the physical test, they check your depth perception, colour bblindness and peripheral vision, but what about an eyesight test i.e. don't they check your distance vision as well?

Also, can Farangs only apply for a temporary one year licence that has to be renewed each year?

Well here's an interesting question...

Does one 'drive a motorbike or does one 'ride' a motorbike ?.

Any thoughts ?.......

For my mind, anything you straddle is ridden. e.g. bicycle, motorcycle, horse.

Anything in which you sit in a chair (usually with a steering wheel, but not always, e.g. a train) is driven. Car, truck, train, bus.

Edited by Riggi

True, there is only 1 bike licence, I hope they change this at some point, with readily available 250s, 500s, er6ns, monsters etc at good prices there are way too many inexperienced riders on the roads with too much power between their legs - honda and co should provide rider training with the new 500 range.

Honda Big Wing actually does this, check their website and Facebook page for more details.

After you have filled in all the relevant forms, you will have a colour blindness test and an emergency braking reaction time test.

The test examination in Chiang Mai is in English and there are about 30 questions to it.

When I went for my test, there was no instructional video to watch before hand. The man in charge said, "you take test, you fail you take test again straight away". Obviously without any instruction I failed the test, fortunately at the end of the test the computer tells you the answers that you got wrong... so bring a pen and paper with you! I took the test again straight away and passed!

You will then go out on to their test track on your motorbike and ride around their simulated roadway system under the watchful eye of another examiner, if you pass the roadway part of the test then you will be issued with a licence.

If you have a car licence then you can get a Thai car licence without taking test. Just fill out some forms and get a new photo taken.

I applied for a Thai driving licence a few months ago, and obtained it with no problems.

I did this at the Transport office north of Chiang Mai. (Mae Taeng) However, I had to show my International Driver's licence, the usual passport, visa, Certificate of Residence, etc., followed by a colour chart test.

The staff were very helpful, I just read a book while I waited for things to be processed, had my photo taken and all done in about an hour and a half.

I also asked about a motorbike licence, but I was told if it's not on my International Driver's Licence, then not a hope!

If I want a licence in Australia, I will have to fork out $185.00, do a government certified driving course and then get a 6 month provisional licence. This cannot be done unless you have been driving a car for a minimum of 2 years!

I am amazed at this information, I could have sworn that all you had to do was look in the mirrors to check your complexion/pimples and squeeze a few, see how many people you could get on the bike at one time, swerve between cars without indicating and ride on the footpath hitting at least every second person. Guess I was misled by all the bike riders I have seen.

I applied for a Thai driving licence a few months ago, and obtained it with no problems.

I did this at the Transport office north of Chiang Mai. (Mae Taeng) However, I had to show my International Driver's licence, the usual passport, visa, Certificate of Residence, etc., followed by a colour chart test.

The staff were very helpful, I just read a book while I waited for things to be processed, had my photo taken and all done in about an hour and a half.

I also asked about a motorbike licence, but I was told if it's not on my International Driver's Licence, then not a hope!

If I want a licence in Australia, I will have to fork out $185.00, do a government certified driving course and then get a 6 month provisional licence. This cannot be done unless you have been driving a car for a minimum of 2 years!

I got mine very easily as well, I had an international licence with bike, car and heavy truck, the bike and car were straight forward but the heavy truck licence I ended up leaving out as the guy that was in charge of these wanted something extra to give it to me even though I have been driving trucks for over 30 years, seems like he needed me to fork out the same benefits he got from all the unlicenced thais that wanted a truck licence.

So in the physical test, they check your depth perception, colour bblindness and peripheral vision, but what about an eyesight test i.e. don't they check your distance vision as well?

Also, can Farangs only apply for a temporary one year licence that has to be renewed each year?

first up is a 1 year licence then you can get a 5 year one I have been told by my wife, you need to be able to show that you reside in Thailand before you can get the longer one.

I jusy did the motorbike test last month. You wont fail the driving test so don't worry. All i had to do was zigzag some cones and drive in a straight line. If you somehow can't ( maybe u dont drive straight enough or something) do this they will just let you go again straight away.

The theory test is a joke as well. Just remember tanks are legal to drive on the road during war time. And when driving down a hill dont brake just use a low gear.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am amazed at this information, I could have sworn that all you had to do was look in the mirrors to check your complexion/pimples and squeeze a few, see how many people you could get on the bike at one time, swerve between cars without indicating and ride on the footpath hitting at least every second person. Guess I was misled by all the bike riders I have seen.

I need to get a Thai car and motorcycle licence, but i not have pimples or drive on the footpath.

I can get a International car licence from RACV Australia, guess I need to learn to bowl over a few Thais.

I did my full test in SaKaeo went to the immigration first and got the paper required from them plus my Drs cert. After registering done the reaction test and sight test both very easy then onto the theory which was done in Thai I had close to no idea what they were talking about but passed that test on the computer 26/30. Then went out on the bike and went round a small circuit very easy it was just a long day. I have to go back every year and get a new one which only takes a few hours to do to get the licence renewed. Not sure what other provinces are like. I only use a tourist visa but if you have a different visa you may be able to get a 5 year license after the first year.

I got my licence up North East, the paperwork was the biggest pain. As I have a full UK and International licence for Bikes, Cars

and Trucks up to 7.5 tons I only did the Eye and Reaction test. Paid the money all done

first up is a 1 year licence then you can get a 5 year one I have been told by my wife, you need to be able to show that you reside in Thailand before you can get the longer one.

But do they test your distance vision as well - in the UK, for my car licence, I had to read a car number plate from a certain distance. In Thailand the numbers are easy enough to read but the rest of the licence plate is made up of Thai script which means absolutely nothing to me. So do they check your distance vision with a different type of test? Thank you.

I lost my 5 year license; also I did that in Mae Hong Son at the time. I suppose I'll have to do a whole new one here in Chiang Mai?!

Anybody have experience with getting a replacement for a lost driving license?

Edited by nikster

>>Anybody have experience with getting a replacement for a lost driving license?

Yes, I went in with my police report, copies of my work permit and passport, and had a smile on my face. I was out the door with a replacement in 10 minutes.

You forgot to mention, snatch a gold chain and accelerate hard right after...

But do they test your distance vision as well - in the UK, for my car licence, I had to read a car number plate from a certain distance. In Thailand the numbers are easy enough to read but the rest of the licence plate is made up of Thai script which means absolutely nothing to me. So do they check your distance vision with a different type of test? Thank you.

Read the other posts you will see there is nothing about reading number plates but only colour test.

Read the other posts you will see there is nothing about reading number plates but only colour test.

Half the vehicles over here don't have number plates, so no point in that test whistling.gif

In Pranburi the book to read is in English then onto the computer - 24 from 30 questions correct. Brake test, colour test. Drive along a concrete path to test balance then around the circuit.

1st license - 1 year then renew to a 5 year one.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this.

I'm looking at getting my one year licences (bike and car) before the rules change on 01/06/2014. I live in Phrae, and I think Chiang Mai is the nearest place to me where I can take the test.

I don't have my drivers licence card here in Thailand, just my certificate. It is not an international licence as required (according to the official website) but if I keep telling them it is they might believe me, or not care.

Do you know if the test office is closed at the weekend? What are the opening hours? Can someone please help me find a map or an address.

Many thanks :)