Motorbike Driving Test

tomcreeduk

did my 1 years motorbike licence last february, can anyone tell me what is the procedure for obtaining

the 5 year one..

thanks in advance scotty

Yes ..

I got my 5 year in October.

I wanted a full license asap as I ride into Malaysia frequently and wanted to be legal, so when the wife was applying for her to 5 year, I went and pleaded.

Apparently, you were able apply for the temp to full license, 2 months before the temp expires - but no doubt there will be a few posters telling me I'm wrong. This has probably changed as the temp licenses are now 2 years, but the poster already has a 1 year, so the rules should be the same.

I pleaded and asked if she could help, span her a story but the admin woman said the computer wouldn't accept it. I returned to the DLT 10 months and 2 days into the temp license and nothing was mentioned, apart from where is your wife today ?

So you have a 1 year ticket ?

Then you should have a medical certificate from the local witchdoktor, passport, certificate of residence or work permit - most important a non immigrant visa I.e non-o visa ( multi entry is fine ) or non-b ( which you will have with a WP )

At first they tried to fob me off with the new 2 year license but I took a print out of the DLT regulations ( I will post a link when I get back home ) the guy made a call, confirmed holders of non-immigrant and reprinted my ticket. I forget the price, 200-300b

No need to turn up a set time ( at my local center ) .. No video, just the colourblindness, reaction and the depth perception test.

Hope that helps.

Edited by recom273

• 1 month later...

Wondered if anyone knew where to get a copy of the Thai highway code in English? Have searched around ont tut net and canny find one. Yes found all the bitty info on tests and the 1979 road act thingy, but I reckon it is wise to do the book beforehand eh.

Unfortunately I have to do my mc test in early April as they wont accept UK paper license for transferal ....10 years ago with the same license for car no problem. Wanted to do mcycle too but the guy was a pain and only upon applying he said I needed two embassy letters the same not one and not a photocopy ...grr, the same guy that sent me to the embassy in the first place and didnt tell me the two letters rule.

So here I am now, need to do it, have a new bike coming with 1st class insurance, yep insurance claim no can do if I aint got that Thai license, hence why ...other than that I wouldnt be arsed with all this malarky and pay the happy roadside money instead.

Ty in advance if you know anywhere say in Bangkok or surrounds I could pick one up.

Did the test here in Chom Thong.

You need to have residence cert. / Yellow book works!, copy of passport photo and visa etc. arrival card, (Take your wifes blue book JUST in case) I never needed it but heard some have been asked. Medical Cert. not less than 30 days old.

You will get stuck with about 1 or 2 hours of crap video that teaches you nothing.

You need to do a depth perception test, moving to poles back and forward until they align in a small lit black box about 10 metres from you.

You do a traffic light recognition, Red Amber Green, pretty easy.

You then need to do the computer test, this one is hit and miss and basically follows absolutely no logic, you can find examples online and if you memorize the answers from the 3 examples you will get 99%. (Seriously, this is the PITA)

The actual practical test takes less than a minute, basically, you weave through maybe 4 cones, drive up onto an 8" wide raised piece of concrete for about 6 metres, make a right turn, stop at a stop sign, then drive on making a U turn and back to the examiner. The entire course where I took it is about 100M each way.

The computer crap is the thing you need to learn - it isn't difficult once you realise what they are looking for, and believe me it is neither common sense not logic! (It is rote learning, more things about tanks on the highway, taxation etc. than anything useful - Beware though, the parking answers are completely crap and a correct answer in one situation is incorrect in an identical situation in a different question)

I for some reason cannot post any links but if you do a Google for Thai Driving Licence, there is a guy that posts from Chiang Mai that gives 3 examples of the test, if you can pass all three of his examples you will fly through, just forget common sense or logic, just memorize!

You now I believe get a 2 year temp. license (I got 1 year) but I have just renewed mine to 5 year and all I needed was the residence proof, the passport and permission to saty with copies, the old licence and a medical cert. No tests, no nothing just a two hour wait and a new photo that they take.

Edited by menzies233

Thanks for your replies. Sorry should of given you more to work with. I'm a British citizen, spend 6 months a year in Thailand. Got a full UK driving licence and had for 15 years ish but unable to drive a motorbike in England as I'm not covered by the licence I got due to passed after a certain year I believe. Only thing concerns me I won't pass it if its just in Thai as not that confident yet. Thanks for the link ill get reading through that.

After you have filled in all the relevant forms, you will have a colour blindness test and an emergency braking reaction time test.

The test examination in Chiang Mai is in English and there are about 30 questions to it.

When I went for my test, there was no instructional video to watch before hand. The man in charge said, "you take test, you fail you take test again straight away". Obviously without any instruction I failed the test, fortunately at the end of the test the computer tells you the answers that you got wrong... so bring a pen and paper with you! I took the test again straight away and passed!

You will then go out on to their test track on your motorbike and ride around their simulated roadway system under the watchful eye of another examiner, if you pass the roadway part of the test then you will be issued with a licence.

All in all it took about 3 hrs to get my licence.

If you have a car licence then you can get a Thai car licence without taking test. Just fill out some forms and get a new photo taken.

There are 50 questions these days and you need to get 45 correct! If you have a UK Car licence you can NO LONGER get a Thai licence, you have to do the entire thing! Computer, colour and the actual driving. The law changed a year or two ago, the only way you might swing that one is if you have an international licence. Aslo, where I took the test, if you failed you had to come back after 3 days, no extra cost but there was no way you could just take it again!

Another thing to bare in mind, if you needed the car and the bike licence, you need to complete TWO computer tests and get 45 out of 50 on both to get the licences, you cannot get by just passing one set, it is two completely separate exams.

I have heard that 2500-3000 Baht will secure the necessaries though!

Edited by menzies233

did my 1 years motorbike licence last february, can anyone tell me what is the procedure for obtaining

the 5 year one..

thanks in advance scotty

Take a copy of the photo page and visa page of your passport, your residence Cert. / Yellow book, your wife's blue book for good measure (might not be asked) you need the medical Cert. your old licence and the forms to apply. (You can go 30 days in advance of the expiry of your old licence, you will get 5 years + up until your birthday. No tests nothing, here in Chiang Mai.

Thx to seedy but that link is just the document of 1979 road act. What I really would like is a book of the highway code in english. Sed have copies in Thai and in my town I asked the guy if one was available in English ...he phoned a guy in Bangkok Sed and nope. So im stuck with a good Thai book entitled 'bai kap khii' for 120 baht and will diligently go through the sample tests in thai at the back. Oh well the hard way. Im surprised that it appears there is no book in English nor an official site to practice the 1100 odd possible Qs in English too. Shame a Thai visa member or other farang hasnt bothered up to now. Should I ?

Thx again Seedy but no. All there is, whilst useful, are 90 questions of which some 30 or so are duplicated arriving at the same answer (but with other different choices), thus about 60 from 1100. On the net, if you are Thai then you can practice many more. Like I said previous, bitty information.

Btw: The highway code is a book like the one in Thai I have purchased, you can get the basic one for 55 baht but this one covers more scenarios and generally more detailed. Way back when I did my tests in the UK you study the highway code extensively before your tests.

Lol, Im a teacher too and this malarky of getting through a driving test is akin to the Khurusapha TCT tests ... no proper study guide and random questions ... AkA a shambles. Okay the mc test isn't tough, the practical is a piece of cake but when you hit the computer test it could be 50 of any of the 1100 questions, again lucky or not as yes a lot of answers are common sense but then some are not thus the need for study. 90% is the pass mark so I think it would be quite easy to get 6 or more wrong and fail and repeat the next day and so on. Oh well, TIT I should know by now eh.

Thx again Seedy but no. All there is, whilst useful, are 90 questions of which some 30 or so are duplicated arriving at the same answer (but with other different choices), thus about 60 from 1100. On the net, if you are Thai then you can practice many more. Like I said previous, bitty information.

Btw: The highway code is a book like the one in Thai I have purchased, you can get the basic one for 55 baht but this one covers more scenarios and generally more detailed. Way back when I did my tests in the UK you study the highway code extensively before your tests.

Lol, Im a teacher too and this malarky of getting through a driving test is akin to the Khurusapha TCT tests ... no proper study guide and random questions ... AkA a shambles. Okay the mc test isn't tough, the practical is a piece of cake but when you hit the computer test it could be 50 of any of the 1100 questions, again lucky or not as yes a lot of answers are common sense but then some are not thus the need for study. 90% is the pass mark so I think it would be quite easy to get 6 or more wrong and fail and repeat the next day and so on. Oh well, TIT I should know by now eh.

You are thinking too deeply and not looking close enough .. Yes, there are some questions that are duplicates, but not all answers are the dupes, check the question numbers to differentiate.

I failed the first day, When I returned the next day I got a 98% pass within 3 minutes of sitting down.

There are some extra questions that are not in the sample test from Phuket DLT, but they aren't so significant. On the whole, the test is engineered / rigged so a majority of applicants can pass. You will see easy questions reappearing multiple times.

You aren't in the UK, you don't need to study extensively - if you do have a UK license you should have no problem passing this test, just spend time on the sample questions.

For most of the applicants on my test, they were looking at the Thai Highway Code for the first time on big posters on the wall, making notes - in the test they had notes written on their legs or arms. Even when cheating they were still taking an hour to do the test.

If you have a UK Car licence you can NO LONGER get a Thai licence, you have to do the entire thing! Computer, colour and the actual driving. The law changed a year or two ago, the only way you might swing that one is if you have an international licence

Really are you sure about that ? and why only for UK car licence ?

anyone else holding a UK licence ( photo card licence not the old paper one ) had to do the whole kaboodle ?

• 4 weeks later...

MARCH 2016: GETTING YOUR CAR AND BIKE LICENCE.

This info is from a British national, but probably applies to all expats. This is for the Department of Land Transport (DLT) at Mo Chit.

Bring these documents:

1. Passport.

2. Work permit

3. Medical certificate (use a small local clinic, tell them it's for the motorcycle test, around 100-150bt)

4. Your British licence (card and paper slip).

Arrive at 8am.

1. Get the above documents photocopied at the machines directly in front of you as you enter test centre. Takes a few minutes.

2. Go to the 2nd floor, get a number from the Information Desk. Proceed to next desk (mine was number 17, they will direct you.)

3. Give your documents and say you want car and motorcycle licences. (These instructions apply to someone who holds a full UK driving licence).

4. Go to 3rd floor with your documents. Join the queue, then receive a card with your number, then wait and watch physical test video.

THE PHYSICAL TEST.

1. Look at the lights, tell examiner the colours. Green, red or yellow. (3 minutes)

2. Line up some sticks with a joystick.

3. Emergency braking. Gas pedal, hit brake when red light shows.

4. Peripheral vision test.

Complete physical and head out, turn right and go to desk 4 for the computer multiple choice test. (Loads of info on these forums, practice the computer test before you go, it's easy if you memorise the answers.)

COMPUTER TEST (WRITTEN PART).

As above.

Then go to INFORMATION counter again and get ticket to go to the test circuit.

PRACTICAL TEST.

1. Go out to ground floor and find the circuit.

2. Queue up and give your documents again.

3. Watch the test video.

4. Go out with other drivers (use your own scooter if you have one, 50 baht if not).

5. Do the practical - a concrete plank, drive steadily over. Then do the course, some turns, some stops. Finish.

6. They say pass or fail, if you fail, I missed a stop, have another chance to do it again. Get it right!

GO BACK TO INFORMATION DESK (FLOOR 2)

1. Take the ticket and be directed to another desk, mine were 17/18 again.

2.Wait, then they ask you for payment and your documents from each test. (360bt for 2 licences car/bike.)

3. Photocopy one of the licences on ground floor again.

4. Go back with photocopy.

5. Sign docs, collect licences and receipts.

You're now licensed for 2 years. (2 year first renewals now.)