Which Visa To Apply For Uk

Hi all,

i need some help in what visa i should apply for my girlfriend, and some basic guidance on where to start,

at the moment she is studying and practicing her english but has not booked onto a course yet until we get a clear window and which course to book her on as i read that it should only be an approved school, i can only imagine that she would have to go to the british council in Chiang Mai for such an accreditation.

we are not married yet good thing or not in terms of visa applications im not sure but we have discussed getting married just that funds between us are spread a bit thin at the moment

we also have a 7 week old son who has my last name and i am on the birth certificate as father, the consulate said that he automagically gains my british but would i have too prove this to the embassy at the time ?

we have been together for coming up to 3 years now with me making an average for 4 trips a year out since our son was born have been making regular payments to cover both him and help her out whilst she also works as a nurse

i have all her qualifications including degree's which i have had translated and intending to send them too NARIC to get them validated and transferred to british equivalent so we can see whether or not she needs to study more to be able to Nurse in the uk

also i know technically that she makes the application and i make the application to sponsor but where does it all come together ? we put it all into a big folder statements from both of us but before we send that away we have to do the online application,

does she fill this in with her details or since im the sponsor do i fill it in with my details,

any help/info/guidance appreciated

steve

I am assuming that you are asking about her settling in the UK, not just visiting; correct?

First step, read UK Settlement Visa Basics; then ask any follow up questions you may have.

You will see that she wont qualify for an unmarried partners visa as you have not been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years.

So you will either need to marry in Thailand and she applies as your spouse, or she applies as your fiance and you then marry in the UK. For reasons explained in the above link I'd recommend the former; but it's your choice.

On the other hand, if you are asking about a visit, see UK Visit Visa Basics.

Assuming that you are British otherwise than by descent then your son is British and you should obtain a British passport for him; then he wont need a visa to visit or live in the UK. (Both the UK and Thailand allow dual nationality, so you should also get him a Thai passport.)

See the first part of British Citizenship Basics for more.

Note that when applying for his first passport you will need to include your long form birth certificate to show your citizenship status.

Edit:

I can't help regarding her qualifications; but will say that if she enters as your spouse she can work immediately, but if she enters as your fiance she cannot work until after the marriage and she has recieved her FLR (see settlement link above).

Edited by 7by7

thanks for that, yes we are going to go the settlement route i had considered doing the visit visa first to see how she felt about the uk but by the time i add flights, visa costs it would work out better if we just went for the settlement and it reduces the ball ache of having to prove a reason to return

thanks for the reading material going to give it a read now.

Steve