Baht Moving Beyond Fundamentals: Bank Of Thailand

FOREX
Baht moving beyond fundamentals: BOT

The Nation

30204338-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Thai baht is advancing well above its fundamentals, conceded Bank of Thailand Governor Prasarn Trairatvorakul on Friday.

At 8.18am, the currency hit a new 16-year high at 28.71 per dollar, gaining 2.02 per cent from end-March, according to Bank of Thailand data. At one point, it touched 28.68. This indicates the 6 per cent increase from the end of last year.

Month to date, the currency also gained 6.40 per cent against Japanese yen, at 29.26 per 100 yen. It also appreciated by 0.17 per cent against euro to 27.478.

Prasarn said today that the currency is strengthening above the economic fundamentals.

He did not elaborate further or mention any measure the contain the appreciation.

Prasarn had a meeting with the prime minister and economic government units on April 18. He said that the agenda was mainly about the export target, not about the exchange rates.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-19

THAI BAHT ALERT:

Latest Thai Baht exchange rates http://baht.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely they have to do something soon.

It is not just the expats, just about all nationalities, which are being hit hard but the businesses that trade with overseas companies could find it getting rough with their customers seeking cheaper suppliers.

Inevitably it will hit the tourist areas with people who come here for a holiday and the ex-pat living off his pensions, finding their currency is no longer enough due to a 10 -25% loss in value in the last 6 months. Yes most expatswill stay and touristswill still come to Thailand but less Baht means less goods being bought.

This is made worse by inflation here which has been quite noticeable over the past year.

Will not hold my breath though, the powers that be in the Thai government will continue to do the same as always, talk but no action.

Seems like a good opportunity to boost the domestic economy and depend less of exports of goods and services (mainly tourism).

It is up to the Bank of Thailand, not the government. Much of the inflow is into to domestic bond auctions. Easy enough to temporarily tax or restrict foreigners buying bonds without reducing rates, which might cause overheating elsewhere in the economy, or affecting the stock market.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 2

Surely they have to do something soon.

Inevitably it will hit the tourist areas with people who come here for a holiday and the ex-pat living off his pensions, finding their currency is no longer enough due to a 10 -25% loss in value in the last 6 months. Yes most expatswill stay and touristswill still come to Thailand but less Baht means less goods being bought.

This is made worse by inflation here which has been quite noticeable over the past year.

Will not hold my breath though, the powers that be in the Thai government will continue to do the same as always, talk but no action.

I second this. As a regular visitor to the Kingdom (my girlfriend resides permanently with me here but we go home to visit her family from time to time, and it gives me a break from work), we do not travel on a fixed schedule - we are not business travelers but do spend a lot, we stay in good places and spend what we work hard for at home. I would imagine we are not the only ones with this kind of approach to visits to Thailand.

We are currently sitting at home each day, watching the exchange rate waiting for it to straighten up before we return. the NZ Dollar (where we are from) has been one of the top performers in the world the past year) has also been losing ground against the baht, and I have noticed travel agents here have stopped advertising Thailand and started advertising Malaysia (again) and also now Vietnam and South America.

Inflation will increase even more when the tourists stop - as you know in Thailand when purchase numbers decrease, Thai business ramps up its price to cover the shortfall. More tough times for the Thai economy? Sadly, me thinks so. May be a while before Teerak brings "the Farang" home to say hello to paw me.. We are considering a trip to Nepal this year to do some trekking instead.

• Like 1

Its a race to the bottom to see which country can become more 3rd World. In the New World Order, its more important to have

your currency be as sh**ty as possible to maintain your exports. The US is doing a good job of it, but its still early in the game.

• Like 2

Please note: Before making any comments on a thread involving monetary policy, posters are advised to read Not The Nation's excellent 'Stock Market Correction Delights Poorest, Stupidest Expats'

LOL. Shows just how stupid many expats on ThaiVisa are. That article makes them look really stupid indeed.

it's not the article Dave. some of the posters make themselves look really stupid. and it goes on since i joined Thaivisa 6½ years ago. sometimes it's amusing, quite often it is not when other TV-members are asking for advice and/or assistance and get plainly bullxxxxxed.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

The rich are getting richer by shipping out there baht to overseas banks whilst the poor suffer due to high inflation and increase costs. As an expat yes I to am suffering as my money comes from the UK but hey iot is still a better life over here than back in the UK problem is I do not spend as much as I used to which in turn has an effect on local business where I do my shopping so it is swings and roundabouts !!!!!!!!!

I am getting paid a good amount every month in Baht and also I do invoice in USD it is fixed at Baht 30 per dollar for the year 2013. Last year it was also fixed at Baht 30 per dollar but I am not worried at all.

Next year is a different story but for the time being I am not worried at all.

• Like 1

"He said that the agenda was mainly about the export target, not about the exchange rates".

I'm just a little puzzled as to how you can have a discussion about export targets without referring directly to international exchange rates...?

• Like 1

Please note: Before making any comments on a thread involving monetary policy, posters are advised to read Not The Nation's excellent 'Stock Market Correction Delights Poorest, Stupidest Expats'

Thanks - oblique to monetary policy - but enlightening indeed. Mostly as an insight into the thinking process of some who tar all expats with the same (stupid) brush?

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk .......... where is the action ?

Would the last person out of Thailand, please turn the lights off

Yes, as demonstrated by the record breaking (again) number of retirement Visa applications people are leaving Thailand in their droves rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

As someone who lives, works and gets paid in Baht here and makes online purchases from overseas ... I'm not worried.

Let me guess - your continued employment has nothing to do with Thailand's ability to compete ? I'm not an economist, but common sense tells me there is a tipping point - I guess we will know by the 3rd quarter of 2013.

• Like 1

As someone who lives, works and gets paid in Baht here and makes online purchases from overseas ... I'm not worried.

Your smugness may turn to anguish if rampant inflation occurs or if/when the currency speculators decide its time to cash in and sell their Bt.

• Like 1