48 Provinces Nationwide Declare Drought Disaster Zones

webfact

48 provinces nationwide declare drought disaster zones

BANGKOK, 19 April 2013 (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has declared 48 provinces nationwide drought disaster zones, with 31 of them hardest hit.

Among the 48 drought-hit provinces are Kalasin, Sukhothai, Tak, Chiang Rai and Ranong. 31 provinces in the North, Northeast and East continue to be gripped by worsening drought, which covers more than 50 percent of the entire province.

Major dams in the country currently hold 37.1 billion cubic meters of water, or 53 percent of the total capacity, which is far less than the same period in 2012. Bhumibol and Sirikit Dams together hold only 9.3 billion cubic meters.

Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsuk visited Chiang Mai province on April 17 to hold a meeting on the drought crisis in the North.

He made known that the government plans to implement a hefty budget to develop and rehabilitate river basins in the North in a bid to seek a long-term solution to extreme weather patterns.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-19 footer_n.gif

The government doesn't seem care about the drought, while my village has no water, the government is concerned about passing amnesty bills and couldn't care less about getting water to my village. Yet this is suppose to be the government of the people.

• Like 2

The government doesn't seem care about the drought, while my village has no water, the government is concerned about passing amnesty bills and couldn't care less about getting water to my village. Yet this is suppose to be the government of the people.

George, should have read the brochures about water in villages in isaan.

It's a desert half the year.

If you live in Isaan I am I have no sympathy for you or any other struggling Isaan village

You are getting what you voted for ... tough noogies ... I have water in my condo :)

If you really thought the PTP would do anything to help to the people of Thailand you need to

remove the red tinted glasses. Does you village leader also have a new car and a huge house? lol

• Like 2

If you live in Isaan I am I have no sympathy for you or any other struggling Isaan village

You are getting what you voted for ... tough noogies ... I have water in my condo :)

If you really thought the PTP would do anything to help to the people of Thailand you need to

remove the red tinted glasses. Does you village leader also have a new car and a huge house? lol

I have some sympathy, but considering 20 years ago it was mud roads and no electricity, isaan has come along way.

But rural isaan always has been extremely dry, so complaining about water at time of drought is stretching it.

I am off to water the plants in my non rural isaan house.

Don't worry.

In 6 months, you will be declared National Disaster zones for flooding.

If the Government could somehow connect the dots and solve both problems at once.

But I sense that may be asking for too much...

• Like 1

How many houses and buildings have storm water gutters. How many houses and buildings have large storm water storage tanks. The answer to both these questions is NONE ! Thais just let all that storm water run into the ground................ Mai pen lai ! a typical attitude especially here on Samui.

• Like 1

Or do they really mean to say "we don't have enough water to grow rice in the dry season"?

Or do they really mean to say "we don't have enough water to grow rice in the dry season"?

That is river and reservoir fed and pumped. If isaan had to rely on natural regional rainfall catch on paddy for rice, the crop would be tiny.

You have problems drilling wells?

My wife claims that this is the first time in her 49 years that her village has had a watsr problem. I know on the 10 years I've been here it's the first water shortage we've had.

Well it isn't the first drought in 49 years that is for sure.
The first one you've heard about! However, compared to the UK (where it rains everyday) we, here in Thailand, have very little to complain about!

The Government works for one person and one person only, they don´t have time for common peoples problem.sick.gif

• Like 1

My wife claims that this is the first time in her 49 years that her village has had a watsr problem. I know on the 10 years I've been here it's the first water shortage we've had.

Well it isn't the first drought in 49 years that is for sure.

The first one you've heard about! However, compared to the UK (where it rains everyday) we, here in Thailand, have very little to complain about!

Isaan is relatively arid in comparison with the rest of the country. That is well known.

You are getting what you voted for ... tough noogies ... I have water in my condo smile.png

And the first two lines of this post sums up exactly why PT( or whatever previous incarnation) have won and will continue to win elections. It is what the people of Isaan and the North hear, believe and vote accordingly..

How many houses and buildings have storm water gutters. How many houses and buildings have large storm water storage tanks. The answer to both these questions is NONE ! Thais just let all that storm water run into the ground................ Mai pen lai ! a typical attitude especially here on Samui.

typical tourist attitude. knowing things better than the locals.

but Samui is not Thailand.

no worry the government is already at work. the rain weather minister will open the monsoon season soon and take care of your village.

What rubbish! In my village and most of those I have seen around most houses collect rainwater for drinking. They cannot afford to buy bottled water. Making the huge pots for storing the water is also a good business. A relative does just that. Try getting it right.
In Issan near all have tin sheets to collect and channel the water into large URNS.

they bottle it up and put in the fridge for drinking.

As for not being able to afford water to buy--WELL at 10 bht for a large 3 gallon bottle, I think they can afford it.

Incidently most have a mobile m/cycle t.v. cigs and alcohol.

the drought is here in Issan from October to April every year, WHATS NEW ???

I still have water for my garden and shower/cleaning. BUT about Song Kran---if it is a disaster zone in all these provinces and as serious as the report, then the government of the day is a disaster zone for allowing water wasted on this massive scale during the holiday----applies to ANY government before the 6 pro red Posters have a go at me.

I DON'T live in Issan but in Khampaeng Phet near the Mae Wong national park and if it doesn't rain today it will be the 47th consecutive day without rain and about the 40th day since we had any government water. Accoding to the Thai met office we have had only 32.8 mm of rain this year against a 30 year average of 74 mm.

For the information of some posters EVERY house around here has the concrete ongs from three or 4 up to in my case 27.

A lot of people out in the villages are getting water delivered by the local fire truck as we are once a week. So far three top ups cost me nothing, 6 beers and last night 100 baht for the guys on the fire truck. It is cyclical and the last drought here was 5 or 6 years ago.

In 2011 the klong across the road was in full flood and was nearly 40 metres wide and over 4 metres deep. Today it is less than a metre wide and about 5 cm deep on average.

Nothing in the garden gets watered at all now.

There are some very clever people who understand water the Arabs and Australians manage to get by with very little while the distribution of moisture is an art in Ireland and a science in the Netherlands,one day the advice of foreign experts may become so urgent Thais might even accept it for free.

PS I am not advocating thaey should bathe as seldom as the British but rather husband the ample rainfall and store,channel rationally.Iran and Monglia hve undergrond wells as did the Romans and ancient folks ofTurkey the Levant and Lanna.The diificulty seems to stem from Krung Thep with those unable to organise a celebration at a brasserie.Tea monkey by results should be their vade mecum and medals gongs for those who succeed rather than merely stand and suck.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

What rubbish! In my village and most of those I have seen around most houses collect rainwater for drinking. They cannot afford to buy bottled water. Making the huge pots for storing the water is also a good business. A relative does just that. Try getting it right.

I still have water for my garden and shower/cleaning. BUT about Song Kran---if it is a disaster zone in all these provinces and as serious as the report, then the government of the day is a disaster zone for allowing water wasted on this massive scale during the holiday----applies to ANY government before the 6 pro red Posters have a go at me.

Get real. If every Thai splashed 100 litres around during Songkran, that would be 6.6 million cubicmetres. OP says there are still 46 billion cubicmetres in the reservoirs, the wastage during Sonkran wouldn't even change the water levels perceptively. If you like more rain, move to Koh Chang. It's far cooler than in Isaan, and from June to August they have more rain per month than you in the whole year. Trad on mainland nearby even gets more than 200 inches per year.

weatherstats-koh-chang.jpg

Get real. If every Thai splashed 100 litres around during Songkran, that would be 6.6 million cubicmetres. OP says there are still 46 billion cubicmetres in the reservoirs, the wastage during Sonkran wouldn't even change the water levels perceptively. If you like more rain, move to Koh Chang. It's far cooler than in Isaan, and from June to August they have more rain per month than you in the whole year. Trad on mainland nearby even gets more than 200 inches per year.

weatherstats-koh-chang.jpg

Why do you assume that an average Thai only splashed 100 litres? Turn on your garden hose for 30 minute and see how much that equates to.

Samui isn't Thailand, wow, I'd better call my Thai friends and their families living there and tell them to go get their work permits. You might just be the most dysfunctional person I've never met. I hope I never do.

Edited by SABloke
  • Like 1

Samui isn't Thailand, wow, I'd better call my Thai friends and their families living there and tell them to go get their work permits. You might just be the most dysfunctional person I've never met. I hope I never do.

tell them what oldsailor said. That they have no storm water gutters and so are to blame for the drought. that will make your Thai friends and their families happy.

• Like 1