Chicken Breasts

jbrain

The reason one of them explodes in the MicroWave is because it's "Naturally Marinated" This sounds delicious...but's its not. It means its filled with a water/sugar solution, that is injected with a plate with a bunch of tiny needles.

The reason it might be the "expensive/nice" shop that stocks the lover quality chicken, is that it's mostly the bigger industrialized slaughterhouses that do this, In Thailand: industrialized = more expensive.

A funny side note, is that when most Westerners is blind tested with "Naturally Marinated" vs. high quality raw, un tamped chicken breast. Most people choose the low quality industrialized product, as we a accustomed to all of our foods being loaded with sugar. It's really sad and a bit alarming, from a health point of view as-well.

Btw...the "real"reason the meat with most water in it, "explodes". is because of the way a microwave works (dielectric heating: rotation of polarized molecules)

If this is factually correct it is quite fascinating

I'm afraid it's very true and it's done every where in the west bah.gif

There has been very big debates about this procedure in especially Scandinavia, where consumer rights are taken very seriously. But a bunch of EU rules, pushed through by big-business in countrys with low consumer protection, and lower food standards like Germany and Britain, makes this practice legal labeled as "marinade" and not "Water/Sugar pumped low quality" Chicken breast.

It's pretty sad.

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason one of them explodes in the MicroWave is because it's "Naturally Marinated" This sounds delicious...but's its not. It means its filled with a water/sugar solution, that is injected with this nasty solvent, by bunch of tiny needles.

The reason it might be the "expensive/nice" shop that stocks the lover quality chicken, is that it's mostly the bigger industrialized slaughterhouses that do this, In Thailand: industrialized = more expensive.

A funny side note, is that when most Westerners is blind tested with "Naturally Marinated" vs. high quality raw, un tamped chicken breast. Most people choose the low quality industrialized product, as we a accustomed to all of our foods being loaded with sugar. It's really sad and a bit alarming, from a health point of view as-well.

Btw...the "real"reason the meat with most water in it, "explodes". is because of the way a microwave works (dielectric heating: rotation of polarized molecules)

Thanks for the explanation, what the eye sees is not always what you get.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Same trick, done with fish: IMG_4425.jpg

The "meat" is a bit different in fish. So you cant use the needels here - so what our dear producers in the west do here, is to centrifuge it with a phosphorus powder. That will allow the fish to obtain about 20-30% of it's own weight, in water/sugar....lovely.

You say you have two regular shops where you buy chicken?

Is one of them Big C? I read the posting about "marinading" chicken and that reminded me of Big C's minced beef.

II don't often buy minced beef but sometimes I like to make a good spaghetti bolognaise. Anyway I have noticed that the beef from Big C. is very very watery and shrinks a lot when cooking.

I buy the same weight of minced beef from Foodland and get much more sauce.

Something slightly off topic but I feel I should mention it. I once saw the staff in Big C. washing sliced Bologna, repacking it and selling it. I have a feeling it was past last sales date or maybe even mouldy. I will NEVER buy sliced food again in Big C.

Edited by petedk

You say you have two regular shops where you buy chicken?

Is one of them Big C? I read the posting about "marinading" chicken and that reminded me of Big C's minced beef.

II don't often buy minced beef but sometimes I like to make a good spaghetti bolognaise. Anyway I have noticed that the beef from Big C. is very very watery and shrinks a lot when cooking.

I buy the same weight of minced beef from Foodland and get much more sauce.

Something slightly off topic but I feel I should mention it. I once saw the staff in Big C. washing sliced Bologna, repacking it and selling it. I have a feeling it was past last sales date or maybe even mouldy. I will NEVER buy sliced food again in Big C.

Haha, tell us something new. biggrin.png

Ever noticed that the prepared farang food they sell has " always " the date of the current day and never of the previous day ? Nevertheless if they have 3 packages out of 30 lof any fresh product left at closing time, coincidental the next day they will have 3 packages only from that product but with the current date.thumbsup.gif

But no, in this case it is just opposite. I buy indeed my chicken from Big C and Foodland, and I always considered Foodland to be the premium one, but it is this one that explodes that the steam box jumps up inside the microwave.

Edited by jbrain

I know this is about microwaving chicken breast, but some good ideas/ options on here re different options fir microwave food,

my fave is cauliflower or broccoli steamed under cover in the micro in a little water then served with a covering of cheese sauce,,

now I can apologise for venturing Off Topic

I know this is about microwaving chicken breast, but some good ideas/ options on here re different options fir microwave food,

my fave is cauliflower or broccoli steamed under cover in the micro in a little water then served with a covering of cheese sauce,,

now I can apologise for venturing Off Topic

I do that probably 3 times a week. At Makro they have mixed frozen vegetables, sliced carrot - broccoli - cauliflower, at 65 Baht a Kilo.

Love it.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess whatever attraction LOS has for the OP it ain't food. Microwaved chicken, dammed thing died for you, least you could do is put it on a grill. sad.png

I finally got the microwave streaming box at BigC and did my first chicken breast tonight. I had it frozen, it took around 20 minutes to cook, I then added some frozen brocoli -> Delicious thumbsup.gif Not sure why I bothered with the whole frying pan crap, microwave is tasty and so much more convenient

• Like 1

at the trad/fresh market in our little town they got nice boneless chicken breasts that I use mostly for stir frys with whatever veges look nice on the day...the chicken is so fresh that I'm compelled to get out the wok as soon as I get home...

in saudi once where I lived in a worker's camp I had a fridge and a microwave and would cook boneless chicken breasts to put in salads (with tutsi's special tahina sauce and fresh arabic bread not bad if I do say so meself)...

at the supermarket in provincial Vietnam the chickens were scrawny and unappetizing (VN local preparation for chicken: smash up whole chicken with cleaver, tip into hot oil inna wok then drain with strainer and serve) but the pork loin was really nice prepared in the microwave with mustard (dijon seems to be available everywhere in VN) in a covered microwave dish...recommended...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

My best guess is the chicken breast that exploded in the microwave had been previously frozen. Freezing does change the moisture content and where it is stored in any item. If you were to have a tiny pocket of moisture in one small area of a chicken breast it could explode when super heated. It is the same principle as when you contain any blast within a small container. Fire a bullet at a glass jar full of water and the jar will explode. Fire a bullet at the same jar empty and it will just break or have a tiny hole where the bullet went through

and, thanks for the recipe, Jingthing. I'll try it out.

A butcher once told me that all chicken sold was frozen upon arrival. It is frozen for transportation purposes, maybe a bit like fish. I was told this because I asked was it safe to refreeze chicken. He told me people take chicken home from the butchers/supermarkets and freeze it not knowing it's been frozen already.

OP gets recipes from the Jeffery Dahmer Cookbook?

I have lost count how many posters have rediculed me in this thread for microwaving chicken, yet not a single one has answered my question as what's wrong with that.

Maybe it all has to do with presumption or swelled head syndrome ?

Maybe one of the places "fills" the chicken with water to make it more heavy.. not sure if real or not but I had a feeling chicken from the market shrinks way more after cooking than the one I buy from BigC

That was also my thought, but which one is the one that would explode in this case.

The one with the added water or the one without ?

I suspect the exploding breast have silicone implants and not the non exploding saline implants!cheesy.gif

Sounds like maybe one of them was previously frozen.

I have a way to cook chicken breasts that works great for me.

I only buy boneless and skinless breasts; otherwise you get a messy fatty broth.

I boil some good water, and then put in the breasts after the water is boiling. They must be covered totally with water.

Then I turn off the heat and cover the chicken pot.

Then sit about 20 to 25 minutes.

Remove and cool.

This is a classic Chinese style of cooking chicken.

The stock can be used to make soup and the chicken breast meat can be stored in the fridge for at least 3 days to be used in recipes as needed. The meat is especially delicious served cold in salads, etc. but I use the meat for any recipe calling for chicken.

Sounds great, but there should be a check to ensure the chicken is fully cooked. Eating raw / not fully cooked chicken is dangerous and especially dangerous for children.

Simple test - cut one of the 'cooked' pieces in half and check there is no pink meat inside.

I only buy boneless and skinless breasts; otherwise you get a messy fatty broth.

I boil some good water, and then put in the breasts after the water is boiling. They must be covered totally with water.

Remove and cool.

The stock can be used to make soup and the chicken breast meat can be stored in the fridge for at least 3 days to be used in recipes as needed. The meat is especially delicious served cold in salads, etc. but I use the meat for any recipe calling for chicken.

The method also allows for more water to be retained in the chicken breast which means that it is usually more tender after cooking.

Remove and cool.

Well, I gonna try out that recipe tomorrow sounds easy to achieve and not too much cleaning afterwards, that is also the main reason steam it in the microwave.

Would it be fine for certain posters if I boil the water in the microwave prior to inserting the chicken whistling.gif

Remove and cool.

Well, I gonna try out that recipe tomorrow sounds easy to achieve and not too much cleaning afterwards, that is also the main reason steam it in the microwave.

Would it be fine for certain posters if I boil the water in the microwave prior to inserting the chicken whistling.gif

Perfect! - Just use a metal container for your water, it will be more fun that way smile.png

Remove and cool.

Perfect! - Just use a metal container for your water, it will be more fun that way smile.png

More fun if it is really really clean water and you do not stir it in the microwave.

Remove and cool.

You boil in 'good' water as opposed to what? Sewage?

Interesting but boiling chicken is nothing new.

Best way is to paste it in coconut milk, put it in a metal box and cover it in straw, light it and wait.

Never had it but saw Keith Floyd watch done women in Thai do it, looked tasty.

Remove and cool.

Could be interesting if water only, particularly if bottled water. Clean water in a microwave may not appear to boil, but will superheat.

Refer

The way to get around this is put a wooden chopstick or similar in the water.

Cheers

Remove and cool.

Could be interesting if water only, particularly if bottled water. Clean water in a microwave may not appear to boil, but will superheat.

Refer

Cheers

No worry, superheating is at risk when you use new and clean containers with a smooth surface.

I never use something new or clean . The size of the food rests still in the containe from the meal a few weeks ago may be a better substitute as a wooden spoon.

Remove and cool.

Refer

Cheers

spoilsport

Remove and cool.

Refer

Cheers

spoilsport

Jeez. As if there isn't enough pretentious dickheads showing people how to cook inedible and costly meals on TV. Now they have invaded Thaivisa. Give it a rest. Bad enough enduring the one uppmanship of those who patronise Starbucks thus allowing themselves to be ripped off.

BTW Pizza is posh Italian cheese on toast. Nothing more.

• Like 1