Like Zombies

muythai2013

I have noticed the habit of Thai people, particularly the older generation will often just stare at you with a dead pan zombie like look.

In Malls, Restaurants, Markets, anywhere they will just stare and not even attempt to hide it, Public transport is the worst for it.

Now Bangkok is no Stranger to Farangs so they should be used to us by now.

now I dress very well, and look normal, sometimes though they look at me like i'm the Elephant man, sometimes they smile, sometime they look in disgust for no reason other then i'm farang, but that zombie like no emotion like stare gets me.

looking at me in an I want you tonight kind of way is great, curiosity is fine to, looking at me in disgust does not bother me, it's the Zombie look the bugs me because I don't understand it, the thousand yard stare.

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-

Violating universal manners isn't rude when you're doing it to a "them", only within the "us" group.

Remember we're aliens, if you encountered a lizard-like alien creature, would you be self-conscious about staring at it?

• Like 2

I was sitting on a chair with nothing but a wall behind me, an old lady was in a chair in front, she turned to face me and was stairing right into my eyes for about 5 minutes before I had to say something.

In any culture or language, thats messed up, she was only a few feet away, I felt like a zoo exzibit.

what could she be thinking about for that entire time.

When I get really tired I often go into a bit of a trance and just stare at nothing. I'm half way between being asleep and awake. Maybe that is what the cause was. Many Thais have very boring lives and maybe the guy was just in a trance between bordom and sleep.

I agree with the assessment that someone is just tired or thinking about something else if this zombie staring happens on public transport. Just catch their eye and smile and people realize they've been starting, usually smiling back.

I worked with a guy who could really unnerve whatever secretary who was working outside his office. He had a habit of just staring straight ahead, like a zombie, when he was thinking. The poor gals thought he was looking at them, but in truth, they were just in his line-of-sight. He stared straight ahead even when no one was outside his office.

Edited by NancyL

I was sitting on a chair with nothing but a wall behind me, an old lady was in a chair in front, she turned to face me and was stairing right into my eyes for about 5 minutes before I had to say something.

In any culture or language, thats messed up, she was only a few feet away, I felt like a zoo exzibit.

how good looking you were .

When old guys stare at me I go and stand right behind them and stare at their back intensively, they can't turn around and do feel like an object in their turn...it drives them nut as it give them a taste of their own medicine.giggle.gif

• Like 1

Ever considered not wearing your speedos in public ?? rolleyes.gif

When old guys stare at me I go and stand right behind them and stare at their back intensively, they can't turn around and do feel like an object in their turn...it drives them nut as it give them a taste of their own medicine.:giggle:

No you don't....

• Like 1

I have seen these zombies all over Asia, not a Thai thing, but it is a rude thing.

i have seen them all over the world not just Asia
A foreigner can draw a crowd of dozens in China .... It's like the night of the living dead.
  • Like 2

When old guys stare at me I go and stand right behind them and stare at their back intensively, they can't turn around and do feel like an object in their turn...it drives them nut as it give them a taste of their own medicine.giggle.gif

Why can't they turn around,am I missing something?

Now I dress very well, and look normal, sometimes though they look at me like i'm the Elephant man, sometimes they smile, sometime they look in disgust for no reason other then i'm farang, but that zombie like no emotion like stare gets me.

How do you know they are staring at you in disgust because you are a farang? Perhaps you do look a bit odd, as no one can picture themselves as others see them.

Sounds like an acute case of paranoia or the OP is suffering from an inferiority complex. Chill out and if you suspect Thai people are staring at you, just look the other way and act normal.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1