Like Zombies

muythai2013

When old guys stare at me I go and stand right behind them and stare at their back intensively, they can't turn around and do feel like an object in their turn...it drives them nut as it give them a taste of their own medicine.giggle.gif

Why can't they turn around,am I missing something?

Because you get sick of the zoo experience, and if that's nothing why do they feel uncomfortable when they get stared at ?

Edited by Kitsune

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I´m getting used to it and you would get this anywhere in an undeveloped country. I find the stare from Europeans, more to the point, the European women more bothering. The supposedly educated bunch who eyeball mixed couples everytime they meet them on the street. Surely they cannot be together coz they like or love each other, no must be something sinister, like an arrangment.

If you see some locals stare at you, just ask them nicely in Thai, if there is something you can help them with and you´ll see smiles present themselves across their faces. In our part of the world we are taught not to stare, yet many do, but the Thais are not taught this, so go easy on them. coffee1.gif

Edited by maxme

Honestly, I´m getting used to it and you would get this anywhere in an undeveloped country. I find the stare from Europeans, more to the point, the European women more bothering. The supposedly educated bunch who eyeball mixed couples everytime they meet them on the street. Surely they cannot be together coz they like or love each other, no must be something sinister, like an arrangment.

If you see some locals stare at you, just ask them nicely in Thai, if there is something you can help them with and you´ll see smiles present themselves across their faces. In our part of the world we are taught not to stare, yet many do, but the Thais are not taught this, so go easy on them. coffee1.gif

They don't like it when they're been stared at, why would I have to put up with it ?

They don't like it when they're been stared at, why would I have to put up with it ?

Maybe because they don´t think in the same way you do, read the whole post and you might understand.

You can experience the blank stare to a greater degree in India or China. So I think it's an Asian thing. Additionally most Asians don't like bearded and hairy person regardless.

Disagree. I have had adults ask to please let them touch my beard, children come up and play with my beard and giggle.

They smile and call me" farang" I smile and call them "Kun Thai" they smile again and say "yes, yes!"

Now I dress very well, and look normal, sometimes though they look at me like i'm the Elephant man, sometimes they smile, sometime they look in disgust for no reason other then i'm farang, but that zombie like no emotion like stare gets me.

How do you know they are staring at you in disgust because you are a farang? Perhaps you do look a bit odd, as no one can picture themselves as others see them.

Sounds like an acute case of paranoia or the OP is suffering from an inferiority complex. Chill out and if you suspect Thai people are staring at you, just look the other way and act normal.

yes that must be it, Paranoia, I'm sitting on a chair, nothing but a wall behind me, a woman turns all the way around and stairs right into my face for several minutes and I'm the one who is wrong.

this thread has been on fire with good posts for once but there is always one person that makes you wonder if he has ever so much as seen Thailand even on Television.

Paranoia and a complex, thats what people generally have when they talk badly about others to bring themselves up a notch, oh wait, did'nt you just do that.

read every post also next time before you start running your trap.

Well considering most of em are getting by accessing an ounce or less grey matter... whistling.gif

Seriously, I've heard it is especially prolific in the Philippines... Manila even where there are farang/gweilo/Jos/'aliens' aplenty. Having said that, put yourself in their shoes; when you see whitey sauntering along with poop on their shorts and just generally looking like shiite when they could lazing in their perfect countries, you'd probably also be in wonderment, like <deleted> exactly are you doing here. smile.png

perfectly normal discussion turns into insults again, only on TV.

If that was for me it was only a joke, people stare at me constantly. When I first moved up to Issan people would actually stop what the were doing just to look at the new westerner in town, soon as they knew me and caught up on the gossip it stopped.

In tourist or business areas where Thai's see Westerners every day Thai's are most probably either looking through you or are just trying to figure out your profession.

Thai's are nosey and staring is not a rude thing to do as in the West. I usually just stare at the floor and ignore, no problem.

Edited by Scully
  • Like 1

perfectly normal discussion turns into insults again, only on TV.

geez, what insults are up there? no wonder why you are thinking people are staring at you.

any discussion could get into exchange of verbal abuses, and definitely not just limited to TV.

Now I dress very well, and look normal, sometimes though they look at me like i'm the Elephant man, sometimes they smile, sometime they look in disgust for no reason other then i'm farang, but that zombie like no emotion like stare gets me.

How do you know they are staring at you in disgust because you are a farang? Perhaps you do look a bit odd, as no one can picture themselves as others see them.

Sounds like an acute case of paranoia or the OP is suffering from an inferiority complex. Chill out and if you suspect Thai people are staring at you, just look the other way and act normal.

yes that must be it, Paranoia, I'm sitting on a chair, nothing but a wall behind me, a woman turns all the way around and stairs right into my face for several minutes and I'm the one who is wrong.

this thread has been on fire with good posts for once but there is always one person that makes you wonder if he has ever so much as seen Thailand even on Television.

Paranoia and a complex, thats what people generally have when they talk badly about others to bring themselves up a notch, oh wait, did'nt you just do that.

read every post also next time before you start running your trap.

Women turn round to look at you and you`re complaining? I normally get an opposite reaction. I turn round to look at them and they run away. I really envy you.

We have to accept that Thailand is not a multi racial country. Thais are not yet used to seeing people of other races in extremes as in the West. To many Thais, farangs still have a novelty curiosity about them.

We look different, we smell different and we are different.

All very simple: if Thai people stare at you, just smile and walk on, keeping in mind that we are the odd ones out in this country. Don`t take the stares as being personal, or hold any grudges, and enjoy your stay here without getting stressed.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

When old guys stare at me I go and stand right behind them and stare at their back intensively, they can't turn around and do feel like an object in their turn...it drives them nut as it give them a taste of their own medicine.giggle.gif

No you don't....

cheesy.gif

I was sitting on a chair with nothing but a wall behind me, an old lady was in a chair in front, she turned to face me and was stairing right into my eyes for about 5 minutes before I had to say something.

In any culture or language, thats messed up, she was only a few feet away, I felt like a zoo exzibit.

what could she be thinking about for that entire time.

you could have ask her for her telephone number.

I was sitting on a chair with nothing but a wall behind me, an old lady was in a chair in front, she turned to face me and was stairing right into my eyes for about 5 minutes before I had to say something.

In any culture or language, thats messed up, she was only a few feet away, I felt like a zoo exzibit.

what could she be thinking about for that entire time.

you could have ask her for her telephone number.

Naa, he`s lucky. Even the old ugly ones don`t look at me anymore.

Maybe because they don´t think in the same way you do, read the whole post and you might understand.

They don't like to be stared at, I don't like to be stared at, that's the way we ALL think

No you don't....

cheesy.gif

Wanna come with ? it's great fun

...it is not about you, don't take it personally.

no I just find that deadpan stare strange, like what are you thinking, no sign of any emotion, I expect that in a war zone.

They are putting a curse on you mate, be afraid, be very afraid.

Edited by canman
  • Like 1

They don't like to be stared at, I don't like to be stared at, that's the way we ALL think

The words from an uneducated. Good luck with that. coffee1.gif

Edited by maxme

Thais have nothing on rural/provincial Chinese for staring. Or queue-jumping. wink.png

Or India - I remember arriving in Bombay and eating in my first restaurant. As I was eating a bowl of porridge for breakfast about 30 locals were staring at me for the whole meal. There was no looking away when I looked at them. DIFFERENT culture!!!!

Thais have nothing on rural/provincial Chinese for staring. Or queue-jumping. wink.png

Or India - I remember arriving in Bombay and eating in my first restaurant. As I was eating a bowl of porridge for breakfast about 30 locals were staring at me for the whole meal. There was no looking away when I looked at them. DIFFERENT culture!!!!

In India it's different they really never seen a white face, you could just have been from Mars

Here in BKK (which the topic is about remember) they have seen plenty

In India it's different they really never seen a white face, you could just have been from Mars

Here in BKK (which the topic is about remember) they have seen plenty

Maybe the people staring don't come from Bangkok.

Hilarious, I am being lectured by 70+ years old about being stared at, when they should feel so lucky to be stared by anyone anywhere.clap2.gif

Please elaborate as I don't get your sense of humor. You deal in absolutes when you know nothing about the persons you speak of. Says more about you than anyone else. coffee1.gif