Waiters Waiting At Your Table For Your Tip/change

testaccio

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I blame them,after all it is the tips that make up their wages.

Normally I will give a tip to the staff which is normally shared between the people working on that shift.

If the person that is waiting on my table has done their best then I will give them a personal tip either on top of the wallet or in their hand.

I usually eat where most normal thais eat. I don't act rich and eat in those posh tourist / hi-so wannabe places, so I can brag around about it.

Therefore I have no problem with them expecting any tips from me, however I do tip regularly (5 - 20 bths) at my own freewill...not because I have to.

• Like 1

Re-considering the way the topic was worded and understanding that he means people 'hanging around' waiting for a tip, I have not had that problem. I hand the wallet back or the small tray and leave it at that.

If a waiter / waitress was hovering, I'd simply ignore them and either carry on a conversation with the other people at the table or get up and walk out if I had finished.

I've never had a Thai wait around for a tip.

The way I look at it is I just scoffed a 200 baht meal in 20 minutes or spent 400 baht on beers and the poor girl who's been on her feet for up to 12 hours is lucky if she earns that in a day.

What kind of miserable sod wouldn't automatically give her a 20 baht tip without even thinking about it ?

• Like 1

Thai's know what they want before they even enter a food place, It's probably on their mind before they enter, If they don't have what they want they might move on or get something else.

Let them hover it's their job, they don't want you to leave. They are always happy to tell you what is good and what is not so good, it's better than some waiterss in the West saying I will be with you in a minute, twenty minutes later you have two glasses of wine and you don't care.

Thai's love food and they want it now smile.png

Since the bill is mostly prepared and brought over by non-waiting staff who in turn WAIT 30 cms next to you for the time I opted for giving no tip after having seen more than once that the tip for all got stolen by said staff.
Good service is rewarded with a nice hand tip or a tip at the tip box so the kitchen gets its share as well.

I would say if your eating streetfood or in a simple local restaurant people dont tip. In more established restaurants with higher service level...if food and service is good give tip...and there is nothing wrong with leaving coins as tip...if your change contain bigger bills 100 and above and coins there is nothing wrong with just coins. My gfs brother used to wait tables and he said in general westerners tips much more than thais as thais usually only leave the coins. He gave me an example a thai family came to the restaurant where he worked before...once a week and ate and drank for over 3000 baht every time and never gave more than a 20 baht tip and they always picked his tablebecaused they liked him.

They wait for several reasons, securing the tip is probably not actually top of the list. Firstly they wait to allow you to verify that the change you have been given is correct - I've seen a few disputes where the customer doesn't check the change immediately they receive the folder from the waiter/waitress (in their presence) and then 10 minutes later tries to argue that they're 100 baht short, it invariably lapses into a messy face losing dispute for the customer. Conversely I've actually been both short changed and been given too much change on a number of occasions, the staff have been at my shoulder and I've never had a problem getting it corrected. My wife tells me that also in regard to this point, the waiter is responsible to the cashier for any discrepancy in the change, thus their desire to ensure no dispute or possibility of a dispute arises.

Secondly, they want to clear your bin (along with any tip) and not have to come back to your table again as presumably if you've check-binned, you no longer require their services. Until the change has been verified as being correct and the folder returned to the cashier, your bin is still technically open.

Personally, I always show the waiter the note/s I am paying with and state the amount of the note. eg. if paying a 450 baht bin with a 1,000 note, I always make sure the waiter knows that I know that I gave him a 1,000 baht note. That way they know they can't give you change for a 500 note and expect to get away with it. This is particularly good advice if you've got a few beers under your belt and look a bit gullible - and/or you're in a gogo or other similar venue. Also, be reasonably (but not overly) generous tipping. 20-50 baht at a restaurant is OK for a couple. And if you go as a foursome or sixsome and combine the bin, don't be a cheap-Charlie and leave one 20 baht tip. Leaving no tip is better than leaving an offensive tip.

My wife had great pleasure once in leaving 70 baht as a tip in the folder but then told the waitress that she asked for no pepper in one dish but got pepper, (removed 20 baht), told her that she asked for another dish to be sour but it was sweet, (removed another 20 baht), and that there were too many mosquitos and why didn't the restaurant have more low fans to keep them away (removes another 20 baht). Just as the waitresses mouth drops, wife puts the 60 baht back in the folder and says she doesn't really care about the mosquitos, but next time she would like the dishes as she ordered them. Been back several times and we're instantly recognised, get good service, dishes as they're ordered......downside is I'm now committed to a 70 baht tip every time, and I just have to hope they aren't spitting in the food!!

It took me a few months, but it finally dawned on me: why do the Thais say "Check Bin"

Simple - they cannot say check BILL. Same as appen (apple) and Globan Hau (Global House Hardware)

I'll NEVER get Thai pronunciation right, so mustn't grumble if they can't manage ours. smile.png

• Like 1

I was a waiter for 20 years in fine dining restaurants in San Francisco and Los Angeles. I never stood over a table.

That is the height of rudeness. This happened to me last week in Bangkok at a casual dining restaurant. The waiter

who brought the bill and my change wasn't even the server who took my order or delivered my food, but there he is

standing over my table waiting for some extra money even tho the service is included in the bill. Let me tell you,

there is no other reason for this kind of behavior. I can smell out a hustler from a mile away and this guy got nothing.

Well, a few one baht coins is all. On further review, I should have stiffed him, entirely. Totally unacceptable behavior.

On bills where there is a 10% service charge; that is the tip. A friend who was a manager at a wine bar on Asoke recently told me Thai labour laws maintain that a minimum of 20% of the monthly service charge must go to the staff. Some businesses may choose to give more and some, no doubt, will try to get away with giving nothing. If you leave a tip on top of the service charge; you're a mug. It's not the customers fault that tight wad bosses don't pass on the service charge to their employees. Getting around all the nonsense associated with tipping is simple; pay with plastic. Then it's up to you how much you leave in the tray.

I never tip if there is a service charge

• Like 1

One of my local rezzies has a waiter who cries if I don't leave a tip. Bloody restaurant politics. However, I prefer to leave a 20-baht tip than have a loogie left in my sticky-rice. Ate at a good and cheap one near Foodland. Had a friend, on the same table. He actually had shorties in his pad Thai. Disgusting, have never returned since

Edited by somchaismith

When I first began visiting Thailand many years ago, a wait person would never hover over you waiting for you to pay the check and give them a tip. In those days, a tip was never expected. Then after years of farang tourists and expats paying over the top on tips, the Thais have come to not only expect it, but become vocal about receiving a tip. This is in the tourist areas mind you. I have actually had wait staff opening begging for tips in recent years. I just tell them the same thing I tell people who ask me to buy them a drink. I say, sorry, I never buy a drink (or tip) anyone that asks for one.

You have to admit some have some (they think unique ways) of getting tips.

I have seen them postpone giving change, if the change will be a worth while tip

Some forget to bring the change and if asked, say 'I thought it was tip'

Some will ask if change is a tip

Some will just ask for a tip

Some will ask for a drink for themselves, from your change, made for food/drink

At school start up times, they tell how their kid need new shoes/uniform, etc

Then there are those who will short change to top up earnings

those who ask of the tip left "is this for me" so they bypass tip box/share

I just take all things, the service, meal/drinks into account, and do what I feel is fair for the situation.

Wow. I have never ever had any of what you mention happen to me. I'm curious where is this happening to you?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After reading your response, one can conclude one of two things. 1) you have never been to Thailand, or 2) You have never visited a restaurant in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui, etc.

the tip is no problem ,if they deserve it !

I order only a beer ,when they bring it ,i order a starter,i wait ,when they bring it ,i order the main ,and when i'm

finished i maybe order a desert.

I hate they bring first my main (or desert on the same time ) and later the starter. And they do this all the time .

It doest help if you tell them to wait with the main course.....no, while eating your soup,they will bring your chicken .........so here i say that i

dont tip them because they dont respect the client.

When tey actualy beg for a tip ,my answer is "prungnee" and i give a big smile !smile.png

I was a waiter for 20 years in fine dining restaurants in San Francisco and Los Angeles. I never stood over a table.

That is the height of rudeness. This happened to me last week in Bangkok at a casual dining restaurant. The waiter

who brought the bill and my change wasn't even the server who took my order or delivered my food, but there he is

standing over my table waiting for some extra money even tho the service is included in the bill. Let me tell you,

there is no other reason for this kind of behavior. I can smell out a hustler from a mile away and this guy got nothing.

Well, a few one baht coins is all. On further review, I should have stiffed him, entirely. Totally unacceptable behavior.

You can hardly blame him because there are so many 'farang' that leave ridiculous tips. Thailand has a different culture from the USA, If you keep comparing the two and not accepting the differences, you'll be miserable.I have hardly ever experienced this, maybe because I speak Thai to them.

I don't think this is the height of rudeness. In the states, however, hovering around the table during the meal might be rude, I think, but here it's normal.

One thing that does bug me is when I go to some restaurants and they don't fill up my soda while they're constantly filling up the whisky drinker's soda, even if he bought it outside the restaurant. Then again, it bugs me when they do it too often. I even went into one recently and the waitress plonked the bottles of drinks on the table with no bucket of ice. When I asked her why, she said that many 'farang' ask for it this way. Weird, as that service is included.

Also on airlines, teetotalers are discriminated against - ask for your orange juice to be topped up 3 times and they give you 'not you again' look. Ask them to refill your wine and they're all happy.

And it is the height of rudeness to leave a one baht coin or two. Don't go back there to eat, they'll remember you. If you are not happy, just leave nothing.

To the OP, no, they don't generally do this to Thai people. If they did, they would simply ignore them.

the tip is no problem ,if they deserve it !

I order only a beer ,when they bring it ,i order a starter,i wait ,when they bring it ,i order the main ,and when i'm

finished i maybe order a desert.

I hate they bring first my main (or desert on the same time ) and later the starter. And they do this all the time .

It doest help if you tell them to wait with the main course.....no, while eating your soup,they will bring your chicken .........so here i say that i

dont tip them because they dont respect the client.

When tey actualy beg for a tip ,my answer is "prungnee" and i give a big smile !smile.png

What language do you tell the waiting staff to "wait for the main course" in? I ask because maybe your Thai or their English is not so good.

I always get the missus to pay....

She tips what she wants and if I enjoyed the meal and service then I will suggest a tad more...

Generally, its between 10-20 THB and if the meal and service is lousy.... nadda!

• Like 1

Don't forget that a lot of establishments calculate the employee's salary withdrawing a certain percentage - expected coming from the tip......

Other staff might collect the tip...

O.T but leaving tip in your room for the mate might only benefit the bell boy...

I always tell my customers to give tip directly to the person they want to thank for good service. If he/she keeps the money and not share with the collegues is another concern.

Went to one of those Thai BBQ places a while ago. Hate the places cos the 129 baht per person seems to blow out for xtras and the hygeine practices and quality of the food is extremly questionable and somebody will plonk the pig instines right onto the piece of steak or rat, or whatever it is or hoping it is or isn't , you are cooking . However i went with my BIL , SIL their kids, our kids plus a few others who just seemed to plonk themselves at our table beccause falung would pay. I was told later "cousins".... yeah anyway !!!! everybody stuffed them selves and we tipped the Heinkan girl and the Singha girl and the Chang girl , all of whom knew how to flash that cute smile even tho we drank only a few Leos..

Anyway we left to go to the car. I knew somebody was in quick pursuit cos i could hear the shuffling gait on the gravel of the car park. as i reached my BIL's pick-up he pushed past me and as my BIL unlocked the door he opened the door for me so i managed to squeeze around him and get into the pickup's passenger seat. Straight away i had this hand stuck in my face . I looked at the face and thought does he think this falung is so suboo he can't open a car door byhimself and now he is demanding money. I went to close the door hoping he would retract his hand before it was severed but he held the door open with his other hand . For a skinny old prick he still had some strength and he was giving me a blast. Some of the words i knew and some i could only guess but combined with the words i knew i just had to sumise they were not polite. Anyway my BIL had to rush around and give him 20 baht for assisting me with the opening of the car door , and to possibly escape all the others door openers coming over to assist in getting paid for the door opening service .

Made me realise how pleasent and subtle the beer girls were in getting their tips

Edited by xen
  • Like 1

You guys totally misinterpreted this thread.

Not really .. just that a few of the longer term members ... men who have been here many years have seen this question asked time and time again.

Since you are a newbie ... and BTW ... welcome to the Forum welcomeani.gif ... you won't know that.

To tip ... or not to tip ... that is the question.

Tipping is seen by many here as bad because it's an Americian custom which has been introduced to Thailand and is now so ingrained ... it is almost expected ... rather then given.

Some Thai's Tip ... some do not.

Some Westerners tip ... some do not.

As they say in the Classics ... up to you ... rolleyes.gif

I doubt that it is an American custom, because we in Austria give tips so I guess it is an European custom that the Americans who came from Europe copied.

(Please don't tell me, that it is not common in Australia, because it would make all my nice logic arguments sound silly....)

Its not common in my part of Australia mate!

It is a bit aggravating to go into a restaurant and be handed a menu with over 200 items on it and have the waiter standing there waiting for you to order. They do it to everybody, both Thai and Farang. I just ask them to give me some time to look at the menu and will call them back over when I'm ready to order. Works fine for me with no problems. Hasn't anything to do with tips so I don't know how the thread got of on that tangent so fast!

This has nothing to do with Thailand - try walking into ANY KFC McDonald's Subway etc (anywhere on the planet) and within 1 nanosecond they ask you repeatedly what you want (insisting you stop looking up above their heads - as if that is weird to them) and as if YOU are the one not "switched-on" as to what is taking place!!

f they had ANY brains they would have a better job.

It is a bit aggravating to go into a restaurant and be handed a menu with over 200 items on it and have the waiter standing there waiting for you to order. They do it to everybody, both Thai and Farang. I just ask them to give me some time to look at the menu and will call them back over when I'm ready to order. Works fine for me with no problems. Hasn't anything to do with tips so I don't know how the thread got of on that tangent so fast!

This has nothing to do with Thailand - try walking into ANY KFC McDonald's Subway etc (anywhere on the planet) and within 1 nanosecond they ask you repeatedly what you want (insisting you stop looking up above their heads - as if that is weird to them) and as if YOU are the one not "switched-on" as to what is taking place!!

f they had ANY brains they would have a better job.

Maybe it's because those places are fast food restaurants whistling.gif

• Like 1

I've never really understood tips. Would rather the restaurant added, say,10% to the cost of the meal upfront so the owners could pay a decent wage to the servers and tips weren't required.

Don't forget that a lot of establishments calculate the employee's salary withdrawing a certain percentage - expected coming from the tip......

Other staff might collect the tip...

O.T but leaving tip in your room for the mate might only benefit the bell boy...

I always tell my customers to give tip directly to the person they want to thank for good service. If he/she keeps the money and not share with the collegues is another concern.

My Bolding

What business do you have in Thailand?

I always get the missus to pay....

She tips what she wants and if I enjoyed the meal and service then I will suggest a tad more...

Generally, its between 10-20 THB and if the meal and service is lousy.... nadda!

And you go home, sooo happy you saved 7 maybe 8 cents.

Yes, you really are............ThhMan.

Edited by Travel2003