Train Defenestration

HeijoshinCool

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about this before one time - and we concluded this is because not so long ago everything came wrapped in banana leaves and could be discarded (ants ate the scraps and rest decayed as normal) - the Thais simply have never got used to rubbish that can't simply be tossed. 15 years ago my father in law drove us from Bkk to CM in his pickup. Along the way we stopped for a pee at the road side. My wife had carefully bagged all the rubbish up as we went along (packaging from various 7-11 and garage shops), when FIL got back to the car, he tied the bag and threw it on to the roadside (grass) - I went and got it - he threw it back again - I went and got it and held on to it (depositing it at the next garage we stopped at) - of course the next bag got thrown out whilst moving so I couldn't retrieve it - just did not make sense to me as it was bagged and we were certainly going to stop soon (kids with sweets and toilets!) and would be able to bin it. He was (returned now) a Naval officer.

• Like 2

i remember being shocked while travelling in first class and being surprised and impressed that the well dressed Thai next to me was actually READING A NEWSPAPER. You guessed it: on finishing it, out of the window it went.

They seem to hate their country, they do all they can to make it ugly.

It sometimes seems that way. Some of the scenery is quite beautiful. There are homes along the tracks, most are hovels, but some are nice ones. I can't imagine what these people are thinking when they throw garbage out the window. They seem incapable of empathy.

• Like 1

Not a trivial topic when you think about it. It suggests a lack of aesthetic sensibility and sense of public responsibility. How can you bring this in accord with the patriotism that most Thais fervently believe in?

The UK is a lot cleaner than it used to be, Switzerland is generally impeccable. When I visited a mountain top and found rubbish strewn around, I would usually remark something like: I see we have had a visit from our Britannic friends'.

• Like 2

The least we can do is maintain our own standards, and set an example.

As the OP mentioned, the daughter felt embarrassed; perhaps on her own, she would dispose of her rubbish carefully; perhaps her children will.

But there's no point in trying to directly change the behaviour of others - Thais are no less spitefully thrawn than any other nation

SC

• Like 1

i remember being shocked while travelling in first class and being surprised and impressed that the well dressed Thai next to me was actually READING A NEWSPAPER. You guessed it: on finishing it, out of the window it went.

Yeah but, no but, yeah but.......don't forget (just in case anyone would let you), it's their country, they are our hosts and we are merely guests in the land of smiles and as such have no right to voice our concerns over the spoiling of this beautiful country. People will tell you that if you want to live here happily learn to adapt to our hosts ways, so 'whoosh' everything, pick every orifice whilst someone is eating and buy a few dogs, but don't train them. You will fit in blissfully. wink.png

It's not about their country

It's about the planet

What they throw all end up in the oceans destroying marine life, without which we could not survive.

http://onemoregeneration.org/2011/07/11/is-ocean-garbage-killing-whales/

Sorry my post went over your head. smile.png

• Like 2

This is a popular topic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=littering+site%3Athaivisa.com&aq=f&oq=littering+site%3Athaivisa.com&aqs=chrome.0.57.6651j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've seen people riding in the back of pick-up trucks fling detritus over-board at speed on the highway; and I've seen people outside a 7-11, with a trash bin less than 25 cm away, toss trash on the ground.

Education, awareness, recycling/deposits, shame, public service announcements over a long term can start to address the situation. It wasn't that long ago, in the U.S. anyway - say 50 - 60 years - that there was little awareness of this issue. There was a "Mad Men" episode (show takes place in the 1960's but anti-littering efforts began in the 1950's) from season 2 which showed a family enjoying a picnic in an picturesque meadow, and then leaving behind all their trash, which was not atypical. I think many of the older folks here remember Iron Eyes Cody shedding a tear in the iconic "Keep America Beautiful" spot.

That is my one major complaint that I have with a lot of Thai people. They don't value the environment around them. They toss their rubbish everywhere and expect others to pick up after them, or not at all. The children are not taught and it carries through to the next generation. It is the same in Canada near most every native community. There is plastic garbage everywhere.

In Chiang Mai i spent once a week hiking up Doi Sutthep mountain on the old trails. I was taken there by an elderly Canadian who became my mentor in many ways. We opened up the old monk trails with bush axes (machetes) so they were free of the fast growing bamboo. When we started in November there was almost nobody hiking because they couldn't get through, but after a few months of cutting we met more hikers all the time. The real downside to the exercise was the garbage that was left behind. By March I had to bring a packsack to carry out other people's bottles and plastic waste.

• Like 1

Yeah but, no but, yeah but.......don't forget (just in case anyone would let you), it's their country, they are our hosts and we are merely guests in the land of smiles and as such have no right to voice our concerns over the spoiling of this beautiful country. People will tell you that if you want to live here happily learn to adapt to our hosts ways, so 'whoosh' everything, pick every orifice whilst someone is eating and buy a few dogs, but don't train them. You will fit in blissfully. wink.png

It's about the planet

What they throw all end up in the oceans destroying marine life, without which we could not survive.

We are all guests here on planet Earth nothing is "ours" and we should start behaving accordingly

• Like 2

smile.png People here are never happy. TV readers are the first to object when the Police in Bangkok enfore the no littering policy by fining them for throwing their cigarette buts on the ground.

Edited by harrry

Maybe they LIKE it that way.

You know, kind of like noise, the more the better.

smile.png People here are never happy. TV readers are the first to object when the Police in Bangkok enfore the no littering policy by fining them for throwing their cigarette buts on the ground.

I think most of the people complaining about the tesakijt fining people for throwing butts on the ground that don't exist. If you do the crime pay the fine. But many people who don't even smoke have been stopped and told to pay a fine.

Waiting for the first clong boat in the morning a few years back I saw a couple sleeping on the bench. When they heard the first boat approaching they woke up. the women (i would guess 45-50) reaches under the bench, pulls out two plastic bags filled with garbage, and throws them right in the clong. Goes back under the bench and does it again. They both pick up their belongings and causally walk off (walking right past a trash can i might add). When I told some Thai friends about this they kind of shrugged their shoulders like "why are you telling us this."

As stated above, you can try to educate a bit but in the end its their country and if thats the way they collectively decide to treat it there is nothing we can really do.

Whoosh

It's about the planet

We are all guests here on planet Earth nothing is "ours" and we should start behaving accordingly

Indeed, couldn't agree more, but like he says, his post went over your head.

• Like 1