Train Defenestration

HeijoshinCool

i remember being shocked while travelling in first class and being surprised and impressed that the well dressed Thai next to me was actually READING A NEWSPAPER. You guessed it: on finishing it, out of the window it went.

They seem to hate their country, they do all they can to make it ugly.

Yeah but, no but, yeah but.......don't forget (just in case anyone would let you), it's their country, they are our hosts and we are merely guests in the land of smiles and as such have no right to voice our concerns over the spoiling of this beautiful country. People will tell you that if you want to live here happily learn to adapt to our hosts ways, so 'whoosh' everything, pick every orifice whilst someone is eating and buy a few dogs, but don't train them. You will fit in blissfully.

It's not about their country

It's about the planet

What they throw all end up in the oceans destroying marine life, without which we could not survive.

http://onemoregeneration.org/2011/07/11/is-ocean-garbage-killing-whales/

Reminds me of a beach in koh phangan strewn with rubbish from the sea. Back then it was a deserted place and we should have been a long way from human population.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 5.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be the same all around Asia, with the exception of Singapore, who grew tired of littering Malays living alongside the train line running into Singapore, and they also threw their garbage anywhere. They somehow got the titles to the line space back into Singapore control and no more Malays, no more junk!

On the same topic, I once took a group of staff in Indonesia on a day trip in a small bus. We had a take-away lunch, numerous styrofoam boxes and plastic water bottles.

As we settled back into the bus after lunch on the grass, the spot where we'd been sitting was littered with their left over lunch. It's usual everywhere you go. I asked everyone to get out and place the rubbish into a couple of garbags I'd brought with me.

Back to base, and I looked for the garbags - not to be found. One staff member said 'we threw the bags into the bush'.

I think I missed the point somewhere. sad.png

Germany is or used to be worse. At any autobahn rest stop there is nice grass with bushes on it. Every bush has a heap of turds behind it. I think that everytime someone wants to go to the horgnam they jumpo in a car there.

• Like 1

What does defenestration mean?

Whoosh, out the window

From the Latin, fenestrum for window.

Agree the title is misleading, sounds like someone threw a train out the window. wink.png

Well, they probably would if they could lift it. wink.png

• Like 1

I often visit the military rehab center in Hua Hin. There is a beach which is maintained by the army and which is often crowded with Thais. It is kept clean. The Thais collect their garbage and put it in one of the many garbage receptacles. I think that the fact that the beach is clean to begin with is a major factor, and most importantly of all, there are rubbish cans. Part of the problem in Thailand is that there are no public waste bins. Have a look at the beaches in Phuket or even the tourist section of Hua Hin. A garbage can is a rarity. The end result is that people just abandon their trash.

IMO part of the issue is that someone has to deal with the trash collection and no one wants to do that. Putting out a garbage can means it will fill up and then the disposal has to be paid for. Easier to make it some one else's problem. Mai pen rai. Some companies are exemplary with their approach, many of which are the multinational fast food companies. McDonalds (which I loathe) has many garbage cans and regularly collects the trash around the premises. Compare that to the food vendors on the beach in Patong and their foreign clientele that just toss their crap all over the place.

Dunno if you've noticed, but in the past couple weeks, bunches of nice new plastic garbage bins have been showing up around bus stops and elsewhere along Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok. Light tan color with lids and clear plastic panels (presumably to allow visual inspection in the event of bomb threats, etc etc.)

I'd sure like to know who put them out, and who maintains them, assuming anyone does. I'm presuming it had something to do with the resolution of the BKK governor's election, but that's just a guess.

Now all Thailand needs is about one million more of them spread around the country and someone to go around and collect the garbage periodically. I know I'm dreaming, but hey.... whistling.gif

Don't really have to worry about us farangs "trashing" Thailand. The Thais are doing quite a good job of it all by themselves. tongue.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I often visit the military rehab center in Hua Hin. There is a beach which is maintained by the army and which is often crowded with Thais. It is kept clean. The Thais collect their garbage and put it in one of the many garbage receptacles. I think that the fact that the beach is clean to begin with is a major factor, and most importantly of all, there are rubbish cans. Part of the problem in Thailand is that there are no public waste bins. Have a look at the beaches in Phuket or even the tourist section of Hua Hin. A garbage can is a rarity. The end result is that people just abandon their trash.

IMO part of the issue is that someone has to deal with the trash collection and no one wants to do that. Putting out a garbage can means it will fill up and then the disposal has to be paid for. Easier to make it some one else's problem. Mai pen rai. Some companies are exemplary with their approach, many of which are the multinational fast food companies. McDonalds (which I loathe) has many garbage cans and regularly collects the trash around the premises. Compare that to the food vendors on the beach in Patong and their foreign clientèle that just toss their crap all over the place.

I saw a place on Koh Samui where the restaurant owners apparently throw all their junk over the wall onto the beach.

IMO part of the issue is that someone has to deal with the trash collection and no one wants to do that. Putting out a garbage can means it will fill up and then the disposal has to be paid for. Easier to make it some one else's problem. Mai pen rai. Some companies are exemplary with their approach, many of which are the multinational fast food companies. McDonalds (which I loathe) has many garbage cans and regularly collects the trash around the premises. Compare that to the food vendors on the beach in Patong and their foreign clientele that just toss their crap all over the place.

Dunno if you've noticed, but in the past couple weeks, bunches of nice new plastic garbage bins have been showing up around bus stops and elsewhere along Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok. Light tan color with lids and clear plastic panels (presumably to allow visual inspection in the event of bomb threats, etc etc.)

I'd sure like to know who put them out, and who maintains them, assuming anyone does. I'm presuming it had something to do with the resolution of the BKK governor's election, but that's just a guess.

Now all Thailand needs is about one million more of them spread around the country and someone to go around and collect the garbage periodically. I know I'm dreaming, but hey.... whistling.gif

Don't really have to worry about us farangs "trashing" Thailand. The Thais are doing quite a good job of it all by themselves. tongue.png

Recycling would also be pure fiction

They have a different Treash-Removing-System, at least in Bangkok. There is a final Plastic-Bag-Collection-Point:

Whenever Bangkok get's flooded, the plastic-bags will clog-up the drainage pipes, so they have to clean them out. Where all those plastic-bags are deposited, I don't know. Possibly in a place that the next heavy rains will flush them right back into the drainage-pipes. Well, coulden't be. Or could it?

Cheers.

I have noticed most Thais ,as well as many others too numerous to name or accuse, tend to have a sphere of awareness around them, a lot of them with one of about 200 mm and anything further outside of that sphere does not exist in this universe so throwing a bag of rubbish out of the window means the bag of rubbish no longer exists in their universe . Also the consequences of that thrown bag of rubbish is no longer their responsibility because the bag does not exist.

Simple Metaphysics.

• Like 1

What does defenestration mean?

Whoosh, out the window

From the Latin, fenestrum for window.

Agree the title is misleading, sounds like someone threw a train out the window. wink.png

Well, they probably would if they could lift it. wink.png

Only all the waste ones. They're rubbish.

Maybe they are clear so the Thai's can still see their trash after they toss it? Not such a drastic change, that way.

My girl and i were driving home from our day out shopping, on the way home driving through the country side she was reading some catalogues and opened the window slightly and Whoosh defenestration, i stopped the car turned back and picked up the papers she flung out, oh boy did i get a new <deleted>, screamed and raved at what i was doing, opening the door, let the mosquitoes in, let the a/c cold out blah blah blah, i told her that as a falang i cannot do that, defenestration, and pollute the environment, her reply, i don't care it's not my village, that's how i try to understand the Thai mentality, but i have travelled with many other Thais throughout Thailand and have not seen them do things like that, i am no longer with that lady anymore. I have to remember that i am a guest in this country and so i must respect that.

• Like 1

My girl and i were driving home from our day out shopping, on the way home driving through the country side she was reading some catalogues and opened the window slightly and Whoosh defenestration, i stopped the car turned back and picked up the papers she flung out, oh boy did i get a new <deleted>, screamed and raved at what i was doing, opening the door, let the mosquitoes in, let the a/c cold out blah blah blah, i told her that as a falang i cannot do that, defenestration, and pollute the environment, her reply, i don't care it's not my village, that's how i try to understand the Thai mentality, but i have travelled with many other Thais throughout Thailand and have not seen them do things like that, i am no longer with that lady anymore. I have to remember that i am a guest in this country and so i must respect that.

All we can do is maintain our own standards and set a good example.

• Like 1

I have a two year young baby girl and she knows all rubbish ends in the trash bin.

Took me 3 months to train her after she discovered the joys of walking.

First it was the other way round: she enjoyed emptying the trash bin on the floor.

We then had to put trash bin high out of reach.

Now all is good, she walks to the trash bin on her own with anything that belongs there, lets keep it that way....

• Like 2

Went to Obkhan NP. trash everywhere. Watched Thais finish their food and beer and just walk away. Lazy fockers, like someone is going to come along and clean up after you.

Stay away from my country please.

I'm lost

" Server comes with second coffee"

(Server : operating system, computer, or appliance to run one or more services)

Computers bring you coffee in Thai trains ???

must be difficult to have such a narrow view of how language is used

That wasn;t narrow, it was obtuse.

I'm lost

Thank you dear StreetCowboy and candypants, I was ignorant before, now I know I am also narrow and obtuse, I feel so much better.

I'm lost

OED: a person or thing that serves Websters Online: A person whose occupation is to serve at table

It's their country, why do you feel the need to comment on cultural differences?

One day they will have a big public marketing campaign like they did a few decades ago in your country and it will stop here like it did there. In the meantime learn to relax and enjoy life.

There are probably people on good government jobs paid to clean up along the tracks - maybe people don't want to put them out of a job?

Edited by SamsonSW

It's their country, why do you feel the need to comment on cultural differences?

One day they will have a big public marketing campaign like they did a few decades ago in your country and it will stop here like it did there. In the meantime learn to relax and enjoy life.

There are probably people on good government jobs paid to clean up along the tracks - maybe people don't want to put them out of a job?

I don't feel a "need" to comment on anything. But that is one of the things this forum is about, commenting on social differences.

"Learn to relax"? What makes you think I'm not relaxed? Not enjoying life? What in particular drew you to make such an unfounded, and incorrect, judgement? If you knew what my name meant, you probably wouldn't have.

Perhaps westerner's raised eyebrows will initiate, or hasten, that "big public marketing campaign" you mention.

• Like 1

Based on what you see along the railway lines and in some other areas, no one is being paid to pick up rubbish ... or if they are, they're not doing their job.

• Like 1

IMO part of the issue is that someone has to deal with the trash collection and no one wants to do that. Putting out a garbage can means it will fill up and then the disposal has to be paid for. Easier to make it some one else's problem. Mai pen rai. Some companies are exemplary with their approach, many of which are the multinational fast food companies. McDonalds (which I loathe) has many garbage cans and regularly collects the trash around the premises. Compare that to the food vendors on the beach in Patong and their foreign clientèle that just toss their crap all over the place.

I saw a place on Koh Samui where the restaurant owners apparently throw all their junk over the wall onto the beach.

I've just been at Rayong the past two days.

What a mess! the whole beach is littered with plastic of various descriptions, plus large lamps from the squid boats, along with lures, lines, cord, floats.

It's worse than Kuta beach (Bali) and that's saying something! sad.png

What a mess! the whole beach is littered with plastic of various descriptions, plus large lamps from the squid boats, along with lures, lines, cord, floats.

Yeah, fishermen are pigs. Where I used to live, those large incandescent bulbs washed up everyday. Incredibly stupid. Lots of tangled fishing line, hooks and hospital waste, too.

Yeah, fishermen are pigs. Where I used to live, those large incandescent bulbs washed up everyday. Incredibly stupid. Lots of tangled fishing line, hooks and hospital waste, too.

Reminds me of a saying about not s......g in one's nest. Those guys earn their living from the sea, yet treat it like one huge garbage dump.

Stepping bare feet onto a "squid jig' with about 30 barbs, would be very painful.

The King hinself has spoken many times about this issue and urged his people to have more respect for their land. You cannot get a greater man than His Majesty and they still will not listen.