Good Eats In Mae Rim: "steak Of The Day"

seesip

One of the pleasures of living in Thailand is the THAI food.

Who needs western food?

I live in Mae Rim but I won't be visiting.

Agreed, that Thai food is lovely. But not compulsory.

You forgot to sign your post with "Get off my lawn!"

• Like 1

Who needs western food?

Since you won't be visiting, it sounds like your loss. I have news for you...even many Thais get sick of Thai food and want a change. I was in Billy's (Italian) the other night and was the only farang in there.

Who needs western food?

Since you won't be visiting, it sounds like your loss. I have news for you...even many Thais get sick of Thai food and want a change. I was in Billy's (Italian) the other night and was the only farang in there.

Yes in this place the busy lunch crowd is almost entirely local Thais. Dinner doesn't look very busy yet since it's a new thing. There's a lot of eating options closer to town but out in this area it's good to have something new and reliable.

The owner/manager Ray (Thai) is the former executive chef at Four Seasons (CM and several other locations.) He and his wife Nui run the (quite small) place and together they do the cooking and serving. The food is very good and prices more than reasonable. I hope they expand in the future.

Disclaimer: They are personal friends of mine. You can make up your own mind if a Four Seasons chef can cook.

-NaiGreg

Good food, nicely presented, reasonable prices, a welcome addition to Mae Rim dining choices. Hope they make it long term.

6-7pm on one open side of the restaurant is aerobic exercise time for Mae Rim ladies so unless you fancy that type of music and/or middle aged dancers, better to come at 5 or after 7.

The owner/manager Ray (Thai) is the former executive chef at Four Seasons (CM and several other locations.) He and his wife Nui run the (quite small) place and together they do the cooking and serving. The food is very good and prices more than reasonable. I hope they expand in the future.

Disclaimer: They are personal friends of mine. You can make up your own mind if a Four Seasons chef can cook.

-NaiGreg

As I am always on the look out for a new good place to eat I appreciate the tip and look forward to trying Steak of the Day. But having dined at the Mae Rim Four Seasons I have made up my mind that when I ate there the Chef (a very overused and often incorrect title) could not cook very well, esp. for the price they were charging. I wish Ray and Nui, whom I don't know or know of, all the luck and will go and try with an open mind and empty stomach.

-NaiGreg

Wow, I'm going soon, it looks great.

Four Seasons Chef can cook? Lets see, yup sure can!

• 4 weeks later...

Just had lunch there and it was delicious. I had two plates of the pork sausage, one with French fries and the other with mashed potato. Both were served with a small salad and were very well presented.

The lunchtime menu starts at 79 baht and has chicken/pork/ham steaks and sausages which include the aforementioned accompaniments. There's also a more expensive evening menu with fish, spareribs, Angus steaks, that range in price from 230 to 500 baht.

The chef told me that you can bring your own wine and there's no corkage charge (but if you want to drink from wine glasses, then you'll have to bring your own!).

The only 'negative' is that there's no aircon.

I will definitely be going back.

Who needs western food?

There are plenty of Thais in Southern California.

There is a Thai Town in North Hollywood and "Thai" restaurants anywhere.

No Thais would criticize each other for wanting to eat Thai food.

Imagine if one said "You guys are idiots, I'm gonna eat American food everyday, go back home"

They would be ridiculed.

• Like 1

Could anyone elaborate on the directions to this place? Thanks.

As you're heading into Mae Rim from Chiang Mai, go straight on at the first set of lights (just past Green Valley Golf Course) and carry on into the town until you reach another set of lights. Take a left at these lights and go up the road for about two hundred meters. Mae Rim Plaza will be on your right (there's a sign for it, but only in Thai I think).

The restaurant is towards the back of the plaza, on the middle left (if that makes any sense!).

I think it opens at 11 at closes at 8.30.

Could anyone elaborate on the directions to this place? Thanks.

As you enter MR there is a signal light at a T, road to Mae Joe, go straight, not to Mae Joe. At the next traffic light, center of town, market on the right, turn left headed toward 4 Seasons. Go up the hill and you will see a new shopping area on the right, go in straight and park just before that straight requires you turn right. It is on the right side, second from the end of the long row of shops. If you get to the canal, you have passed the shopping area by about 80 meters.

• 3 months later...

Was able to make a visit yesterday Wednesday 18th with a dining, drinking mate.

We arrived at 12.30 the hight of their lunch time.

Very busy and we found a table outside the main dining area.

A waitress was soon over and we studied the lunch menu. About half a dozen cheap items of local produce, chicken, pork mainly.

The waitress then produced two wine glasses for the bottle we had brought and took our order, Belly pork for me and Lamb Chops for my mate, from a white board menu we had noticed.

We also ordered a Caesar salad and two portions of shrimp in potato soup.

Numerous other diners arrived and where served, quite a few ordering the Salmon dish off the Whiteboard.

As earlier diners left we where asked if we would like to move to an inside table, which we did.

Our meals arrived and where very tasty my mate commenting that his three chops where the proper deal and correctly prepared as was my pork belly with mash potato.

Very good service by local staff who have been correctly trained to look after their customers.

We complemented the staff on our meal and Nui came over to speak to us and then by 13.30 Ray the chef came across with Nui and we had a very pleasant chat.

Beer was available from next door and we saw other folk enjoy.

A ice cream from same location ended our meal.

Highly impressed by a restaurant set up earlier this year and we will return with our normal third dinning buddy on his return.

Very good well prepared food, by staff who know their job and had a pleasant attitude.

My only real concern was that not being air con meals taken during the Hot Season would not be to my liking.

john

Usual disclaimers, from a man who enjoys his food.

• Like 1

-NaiGreg

As I am always on the look out for a new good place to eat I appreciate the tip and look forward to trying Steak of the Day. But having dined at the Mae Rim Four Seasons I have made up my mind that when I ate there the Chef (a very overused and often incorrect title) could not cook very well, esp. for the price they were charging. I wish Ray and Nui, whom I don't know or know of, all the luck and will go and try with an open mind and empty stomach.

Though I have since posted I had an enjoyable meal there after my post quoted above, Iwanted to further follow up and say that on my multiple visits since, including a birthday celebration, everything every time has been good. Though they have often run out of some items it is busy and just a small place that keeps the standards of quality high, but there is always something else to choose. If I had to find something to complain about it would be that they have been out of red or white wine on a few occasions, something I think that would not be that hard to inventory. Just the fact that I have to look for something not right is pretty amazing in itself.

As for the Mae Jo resident who says it's a bit far I also come from that area and it's really not a bad ride especially considering what else there is to choose from closer, which is not much or really nothing if your wanting Western food or even Thai. If you know differently please do tell!

I also wanted to clarify that my comment in my previous post quoted above that it's doubtful that Ray prepared my lunch at the Four Seasons for a variety of reasons (but if he was Ex Chef at that time he should be held accountable for everything that comes out of every kitchen there). But back to here and now Ray and Nui are on friendly terms with us, which contrary to many posters disclaimers is how it is suppose to be, that's hospitality folks! And when it's as sincere as is the case at Steak of the Day anyone dining there is bound to have some delicious food with all the other ingredients that make up a good dining experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Great place. I wish it was a little closer to me as I won't make the drive just for a meal especially if it's raining. But one of the best for sure, even if the portions are a little on the small side. I saw the couple who own the place - Ray and...(I forget) being interviewed on television about a month ago. Looked like the menu has grown a bit since I was last there. Looking forward to going there again soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think I am a little late to the party with this post but at last we made it out to this restaurant last night. Monday night and 90% full-about 60-70 diners. Surprise to me out in Mae Rim that they were probably about 70% farang and 30% thai. Many seemed to know each other so in 4 months they have evidently built up a loyal clientele

Had a great, rare Aussie Ribeye- generous portion and very tasty- well presented with a little ratatouille, mash and fries. Excellent fries. GF had salmon steak which she was very happy with but it looked on the small side and a bit over cooked, but no complaints from her. Very good service and the kitchen coped well with the crowd there.

Nui (owner/wife), came for a chat with the bill to make sure we were happy with everything and made a point of telling us no corkage if we byo wine.

Very friendly, professional operation with good extensive menu and, importantly, good ingredients.

We will be back.....with some wine