Ryan Gosling Bangkok Crime Film ' Only God Forgives' Competing At Cannes Film Festival

webfact

'Only God Forgives' competing at Cannes, official poster released
By Coconuts Bangkok

onlygodforgives23_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Ryan Gosling Bangkok crime film “Only God Forgives” will compete for the Palm d'Or at the 68th annual Cannes Film Festival in France this May.

The official poster and two more trailers have also been released for the extremely violent movie which is slated for a full release on July 19.

“Forgives” will face competition from such heavy hitters as the Coen Brothers' “Inside Llewyn Davis,” Steven Soderbergh's “Behind the Candelabra,” and Baz Luhrmann-directed and Leonardo DiCaprio-starring “The Great Gatsby.” The jury will be led by no other than Steven Spielberg.

“Forgives” was directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, who previously worked with Gosling on “Drive,” and filmed on location in Bangkok early last year.

Full storY; http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/04/22/only-god-forgives-competing-cannes-official-poster-released

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-22

Except for the original Thai film Bangkok Dangerous (not the Nick Cage version), which relied on the usual crime gang/violence/prostitution sex theme, every other movie I have ever seen about Bangkok that's hit the major cinemas has the same violent crime gang/prostitution/ sex/littleThai girly strip club theme. This same formula was also used in Bangkok Dangerous, but that movie was an authentic Thai movie for Thai people, so it was a truly great film. I doubt "Only God Forgives" is going to deviate from that formula, where women are sex objects and men are involved in violent chaotic street street crime, going out shooting and driving around in frenzies all over crazy Bangkok.

Will any movie come out that isn't about men committing violence and women being strippers and prostitutes, there in Bangkok? It's a theme for white audiences who want a wild west theme in an exotic setting.

• Like 2

Except for the original Thai film Bangkok Dangerous (not the Nick Cage version), which relied on the usual crime gang/violence/prostitution sex theme, every other movie I have ever seen about Bangkok that's hit the major cinemas has the same violent crime gang/prostitution/ sex/littleThai girly strip club theme. This same formula was also used in Bangkok Dangerous, but that movie was an authentic Thai movie for Thai people, so it was a truly great film. I doubt "Only God Forgives" is going to deviate from that formula, where women are sex objects and men are involved in violent chaotic street street crime, going out shooting and driving around in frenzies all over crazy Bangkok.

Will any movie come out that isn't about men committing violence and women being strippers and prostitutes, there in Bangkok? It's a theme for white audiences who want a wild west theme in an exotic setting.

I absolutely agree. Im sick of the usual stereotypical depictions of Bangkok life, ad nauseum. It makes others wonder if thats the only reason for living/visiting.

Agree! Sounds like utter <deleted>.

Me mam thought I was living in some sort of gang riddled hellhole until she finally came out here and saw how pleasant a place BKK is.

She couldn't stop saying 'eeee it's nowt like what we see on the telly" and similar...

• Like 1

People wouldn't continue paying to watch these movies if they didn't like them. And since when does any movie, ever, anywhere, not have sex symbols (male and female)? And an action movie without car chases, shoot outs and street crime isn't much of an action movie, is it? Sounds like your qualm is with the genre.

Edited by caykay
  • Like 1

Though you describe the basic plot of the majority of films and books, love interest , war etc

• 2 months later...

I am usually tolerant of any movie set in Thailand but this was the worse thing I ever saw. Failed attempt to be edgy and intellectual. Collection of all the most worn out stereotypes. Same old talentless farang actors who must play golf with the director (I have seen some before and there acting is embarrassing). Makes Cage's "Bangkok Dangerous" seem like an Oscar winner.

• Like 1

I am usually tolerant of any movie set in Thailand but this was the worse thing I ever saw. Failed attempt to be edgy and intellectual. Collection of all the most worn out stereotypes. Same old talentless farang actors who must play golf with the director (I have seen some before and there acting is embarrassing). Makes Cage's "Bangkok Dangerous" seem like an Oscar winner.

You might be interested in this thread cgphuket.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/612173-what-movies-or-tv-shows-are-you-watching-now/page-5

I watched this movie last night. Still undecided if it is a masterpiece that i just don't get or it is a load of crappy stereotyped ,but arty, Bangkok scenes strung together . A lot of continuity problems - what happened to Gordon who set up the hit on the BIB? Why did julien also plunge the sword into his mother. What exactly was the relationship between him and his mother? So many questions, so few answers.

Not an enjoyable movie at all and it was a test of endurance to watch it all to the final credits. Would watching Drive help to understand this movie or will it still remain as a gory, confusing piece of crap. Has it been released on the Thai movie circuit in Thai language ?

• Like 1

Terrible, terrible film.....Forty minutes into it, I wondered when it was going to start....Then twenty minutes later, I was ecstatic that it had actually ended! How long was the screenplay? Four pages? Six pages?

And was that not the quietest you ever saw Bangkok? No traffic, pedestrians, beggars, taxis, Sky Train, Arabs, women in burkas, pictures of Saddam Hussein on Soi 3 and Sukhumvit, feral dogs, derelicts, savages, and all sorts of other miscreants that call the streets of BKK home?

Perhaps the lack of Bangkok life was intended to add to that surreal atmosphere. I must admit there were not many places i recognised except for a couple of scenes in Sukhumvit.But now i also know what the Emporium suites look like inside..

Edited by xen

Terrible, terrible film.....Forty minutes into it, I wondered when it was going to start....Then twenty minutes later, I was ecstatic that it had actually ended! How long was the screenplay? Four pages? Six pages?

And was that not the quietest you ever saw Bangkok? No traffic, pedestrians, beggars, taxis, Sky Train, Arabs, women in burkas, pictures of Saddam Hussein on Soi 3 and Sukhumvit, feral dogs, derelicts, savages, and all sorts of other miscreants that call the streets of BKK home?

Perhaps the lack of Bangkok life was intended to add to that surreal atmosphere. I must admit there were not many places i recognised except for a couple of scenes in Sukhumvit.But now i also know what the Emporium suites look like inside..

Was that the Emporium?

Call me a Cheap Charlie, but I was under the impression that that was the Conrad Hotel.....Oh well....Back to Soi 6 with a bottle of Chang....

Was that the Emporium?

Call me a Cheap Charlie, but I was under the impression that that was the Conrad Hotel.....Oh well....Back to Soi 6 with a bottle of Chang....

I only assume it was the Emporium Suite by the credits at the end.

I was numb by time the film finished and just watched the credits just to see if it mentioned any other sites.

• 4 weeks later...

call me cheap charlie, but I recognized both the karaoke and the *cough* hotel where the initial murder happens. Also, they were running down on silom once, near soi 5-7.

Ohh, and I think it is quite an accurate depiction of many things here. I liked it very much.

Edited by lowushatin

I watched this movie last night. Still undecided if it is a masterpiece that i just don't get or it is a load of crappy stereotyped ,but arty, Bangkok scenes strung together . A lot of continuity problems - what happened to Gordon who set up the hit on the BIB? Why did julien also plunge the sword into his mother. What exactly was the relationship between him and his mother? So many questions, so few answers.

Not an enjoyable movie at all and it was a test of endurance to watch it all to the final credits. Would watching Drive help to understand this movie or will it still remain as a gory, confusing piece of crap. Has it been released on the Thai movie circuit in Thai language ?

I agree, If this was a masterpiece I guess I just don't get the new "style " of film making and is it to much to ask for a little dialogue in a movie, I don't think Ryan Gosling's character said more than 5 words in the whole movie. Just a continuation of Drive without the entertainment. IMO

I agree, If this was a masterpiece I guess I just don't get the new "style " of film making and is it to much to ask for a little dialogue in a movie, I don't think Ryan Gosling's character said more than 5 words in the whole movie. Just a continuation of Drive without the entertainment. IMO

Like I said earlier, this screenplay was definitely under ten pages... :P