Ais Unlimited 3G Plans, Does Restricting The Phone To Edge Use 3G Balance?

Crossy

I use the AIS 799 Baht 'unlimited' package and whilst I pretty well never get near my 3G usage limit I wonder if restricting the phone to Edge still uses 3G data balance.

Reason for asking, my Indian 'unlimited' 3G service (AirTel) DOES use up 3G when the phone is in Edge mode, annoying as it's my only internet connection when in sunny (or even rainy) India and I really want to keep the faster portion for important things like the BBC news.

The other annoying thing is the AirTel restricted speed is 64kbps vs 380kbps on AIS sad.png

My understanding is pretty much whatever mobile data package you have the data allotment is 3G and/or Edge. Say you have a 3GB monthly package, it don't care if you are consuming the 3GB allotment via higher speed 3G or lower speed Edge....either use of the 3G or Edge counts equally against your allotment. And usually when a person signs up for a mobile data package they need to call a number to activate the 3G speed, otherwise, it stays at Edge speed.

Also, "unlimited" usually means you receive "unlimited" speed up to your allotment (say 3GB), then a lower speed (throttled down) kicks in like 384Kb or 64Kb until you next billing month starts and your new monthly data allotment resets.