Who Is Leaving Thailand Because Of Its Currency?

Did you, or do you intend to, leave Thailand because of the Baht Currency?  

316 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Thailand and earning Thai Baht so ex rate makes little difference, but living a normal life and not like a tourist in the middle of a tourist town, so price increases are not so evident either, still paying the same for a leo as i was 3 years ago!!.

I cannot understand all these people harping on about moving to other Asian countries, the western currencies are weak against them too, only a matter of time if you are sitting in Cambodia....you will soon be saying "i remember when i first came here it was 6000 riel to the pound now it's only 5000" and the whole cycle starts again.

• Like 2

Consider making Thai Baht while your here. The currency exchange will not effect you. There are avenues for doing so. Think about what you do best, search your area for service needs and open a ligitimate Thai Company. It cost me around 70,000 Baht to do it right with a work permit. This is a strong alternative to packing up your bags and searching for another country or home.

• Like 1

1 dollar for 1 baht is something out of my wettest dreams.. Man.. I'd be rich. Everyone in Thailand would be.

I'd go buy a supercar for the same money I get a Honda Jazz for now.

Better hope that European car dealers would deal in dollars in your scenario, you sure won't find any American super cars.

Fortunately I'm earning Thai Baht...so it's looking good at the moment

Don't see that makes much difference. An expensive place is still an expensive place no matter what currency you are paid in. And as prices increase here your income will be worth less and less.

I dont work at all but I could still afford to live here even if there were only 5B to the GBP instead of 45 or 75. I wouldnt want to though as I know there would be far more interesting places to live elsewhere. Once places become expensive they also become very boring.

Cue Lee Marvin.

I agree, Thailand has become kind of boring compared to what it was years ago, exchange rate fluctuations or not. If I didn't have personal connections in the place I would have given up on it years ago. I think Asia in general has become more boring for the reason you cite. Burma might be interesting for a few years before it is ruined by an influx of property developers. Maybe Latin America is more appealing? I don't know.

Thank the lucky stars i am not counting on or expecting social security and roths etc. I converted all properties and monies years ago when the exchange was favorable. I am sure that when a countries currency strengthens too much, it's lower exports and manufacture base will bring it down to the status quo. With gold melting and paper money looking good for burning as fuel. Ouch!

1 dollar for 1 baht is something out of my wettest dreams.. Man.. I'd be rich. Everyone in Thailand would be.

Better hope that European car dealers would deal in dollars in your scenario, you sure won't find any American super cars.

This one will do, even though we're talking Camry money now. smile.png

http://www.bornrich.com/ssc-tuatara1.html

1347949974.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Bad news for very many people who consider that the Baht is too strong. With governments out there as in the US who believe that you need to create the mother of all bubbles by printing money and giving free money to banks while keep on spending trillions on wars you only fool the dumbest of all people, hence politicians.

There wil be a moment that their creditors will become their repo-men. The dollar is still far too expensive if you consider all the money they printed it should be closer to 20 Baht to the dollar.

• Like 2

Folks, sorry to tell you that but it is absolutely impossible for 1 baht to become 1 USD. Some uses the 30฿ bowl soup and think it is going to cost 30$. Also, someone having a salary of 70000 baht per months is going to earn 70000$ per months? It doesn't make sense right?

When the baht goes high, it is because the economy is good. Once the Thai baht is going to be high enough, many foreign investors are going to pack and go away. Now, the question is: when is going to he the breaking point?

In reality, the breaking point may be earlier than we think. I don't think Thailand has the ressources, the labor quality and the knowledge to worth more than 35 baht per USD. I believe at that point, tourists are going to visit some other places, retired are going to live somewhere else, businesses are going to go somewhere else, the baht is going to fall and so we start again.

The worry at the moment is about the retired. Of course, a high baht currency means less money in your pocket. On the other hand, many foreign workers and Thais in general have benefits from a high Thai currency, as long as we don't reach the breaking point.

I looked into Central America

before moving here-

equally unfriendly attitude-

(except for commercial transactions of course.)

Also, you're regarded as a pedophile

as soon as you step off the plane!

I probably would've already

tried Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam

or the Philipines. if

it weren't for the lovely Thai-lady

in my life. (Sometimes Thai

nationalism really sickens me!)

Yes, the exchange rate makes me

have to look for ways to tighten-the-belt

budgetwise but I've done that all my life

anyway while being a wage-slave.

• Like 1

This is stupid! I thing you all miss a point. To stay in THAILAND you need to have 800,000thb in your bank or 65,000/month in income

How many of you have that in pension? is it so damn hard to understand that many of us have a big problem right now?

Many of you should Think before you judging anyone!

Tom.

I am sorry you are having problems with the high bath but you should had done your homework before coming here and said to yourself:

Can I still afford it here if the Bath is 25 to the $ and do I have enough money to fulfill Visa requirements ? If no maybe better stay home and just be a 6 month pr year tourist.

I see no one has offred up another viable destination - I would also find this interesting. In this modern world, knowing when to exit and where the next destination is is paramount.

I'm coming for a year. I will be able to afford it.

Is the baht expected to continue its increase? Anyone got a timeframe on when it may stop? (impossible to predict obviously but you guys already living there might have a sense from the Thai officials)

What about Vietnam? Must be more first world than Cambodia? Anyone know anyone living as an expat in Hanoi?

Why do poor people with 1000 Euros or so to spend a month even consider living in Thailand? Thailand has its own very large populationof poor people and doesn't need imported budget residents. If you don't have the money to fund a reasonable lifestyle here, don't come to Thailand! Most Thais expect farangs to have unlimited wealth so let's not shatter this image because we are guests here and our presence in only tolerated because we have a lot of money to spend in this country.

I'm coming here and aiming for 750/1000 DOLLARS a month, never mind Euros. And from what I can see, it's totally doable. Rent is really cheap in Thailand and so is the street food.

What's the big problem? Rent of 3,000 -15,000 Baht a month - what's not to like? I was paying about 40,000 Baht a month in London!

Why do poor people with 1000 Euros or so to spend a month even consider living in Thailand? Thailand has its own very large populationof poor people and doesn't need imported budget residents. If you don't have the money to fund a reasonable lifestyle here, don't come to Thailand! Most Thais expect farangs to have unlimited wealth so let's not shatter this image because we are guests here and our presence in only tolerated because we have a lot of money to spend in this country.

I'm coming here and aiming for 750/1000 DOLLARS a month, never mind Euros. And from what I can see, it's totally doable. Rent is really cheap in Thailand and so is the street food.

What's the big problem? Rent of 3,000 -15,000 Baht a month - what's not to like? I was paying about 40,000 Baht a month in London!

$1,000 a month = 28,000bt lets say 8,000bt rent = 20,000 a month for all the rest food, electric, insurance, transport +++ and you think you can live off that ??? I think you had better have a rethink. Exist maybe live not on your life.

didn't read through the entire thread, but I'm missing the option "I live in Thailand and earn Thai Baht and look forward to a cheap holiday in Europe" cool.png

Actually, that's what we did last year. Went to England so see family for a week then off to Turkey for 4 weeks on a last minute half board special in a 4 star hotel for less than a similar standard hotel without food and flight would cost in Thailand, before heading back to UK for a couple more weeks.

We're very lucky - 90% of our income is in Australian dollars, so all of my calculations are in AU$ A couple of years ago we wouldn't have spent the money on the holiday, but converting AU$ to GBP is almost laughable now. I'm not complaining, just enjoying it while it lasts, because it'll all turn around in a month or a year or 2 years. It isn't so much that the dollar is strong, but that the other currencies are very weak with a few exceptions

I've lived here on 400 baht a day. Yes, 400 baht a day. I know I would never be able to live back home on that amount.

• Like 1

1000 euros was never 55.000 baht ... not after 2008 never higher than 50.something

Well that's what he said anyway, that he was getting about 55k baht a month back then in early 2009. I just checked on Google and it's clearly showing a pick at 54/55 baht for 1 euro in early 2009, just see for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=1+euro+to+baht

and if he gets his pension in euros, why is he worried about the low dollar rate ?

post makes no sense

I was talking about $/baht, not him, and I could have mentioned € instead but didn't see the point as all the medias are mostly comparing the baht to the US$ so why even mention such details! $ and € almost goes up and down together compared to the baht, at least for the last 10 years.........

YOUNALE make no sense dude

I've lived here on 400 baht a day. Yes, 400 baht a day. I know I would never be able to live back home on that amount

That's still 12,000bt a month, that leave's you at best 8,000bt at worst 0bt You forgot the rent + all the other cost's and that old adage I lived = before things have gone up here if you hadn't noticed. I still state it's exist not lived. Just think on this how long will you last just eating Thai food off stalls??? and please don't say the Thai's can live off it as your not Thai.

This one will do, even though we're talking Camry money now. smile.png

http://www.bornrich.com/ssc-tuatara1.html

1347949974.jpg

How do you get a motocy and half a tonne rice in the back of that?.

• Like 2