Thai International Driving License

Yes you can get an international driving permit ( no such thing as an international license) based on your Thai license, need the following:

A full 5 year Thai DL

Copy of your PP

2 X PP photos

THB 500 odd

I normally do mine at Mo Chit traffic department, typically in and out in 15 minutes and valid for 12 months

• Like 2

Hey SP. I think to get an international license based on your thai license you need a W/P or a residence cert. this i noticed at chatuchak. when I did my thai lic and when I was going home, I got my wife an international lic and I tried to get one as well.

I could be wrong though but when I looked into it that was the way it was. 3 yrs ago

Hey SP. I think to get an international license based on your thai license you need a W/P or a residence cert. this i noticed at chatuchak. when I did my thai lic and when I was going home, I got my wife an international lic and I tried to get one as well.

I could be wrong though but when I looked into it that was the way it was. 3 yrs ago

I have a WP, but they have never asked for it and have 4 IDP's over the years based on my Thai DL, the only thing they ask for is a copy of your PP, sure your not getting confused with being issued the 5 year Thai DL, some places will only issue a 5 year DL to someone if they have a WP or a residence certificate, if you try to get a 5 year DL on a tourist visa, they may not give it to you, but issue you another 1 year DL

My understanding is that you can only get an international drivers licece if you have a licence issued by the country you are inand that issued that licence

If you have a Thai licence then you can go to the issuing office and get an international licence issued in Thailand.

If you have a licence issued in say UK or USA the Thai licence office will not issue you an international Thai licence.

Well yes this goes without saying, in the reverse situation, would the AA or RAC in the UK issue an IDP based on a Thai DL ? of course they wouldnt

Not everyone has been around as much as we have. Just pointing out the basics. Better than you will get from the 3 months been here barrack room lawyer in the bar.smile.png

As I said I could be wrong. I had w/p working offshore TH also but when I went to get my wife an IDP I checked out if I could get one but the rules at chatuchak stated as I said before. I had quit my job at that time alas no w/p.

No biggie but just givin my experience

As I said I could be wrong. I had w/p working offshore TH also but when I went to get my wife an IDP I checked out if I could get one but the rules at chatuchak stated as I said before. I had quit my job at that time alas no w/p.

No biggie but just givin my experience

Never been asked for WP, only a Non-Imm, either B or O. Missed out on the life time licence by a couple of years when they changed the rules. The Boss still has one but she told me that if she lost it she would only get a 10 year replacement.

• Like 1

You might be right there with with non-imm o/b. this might have been what they were looking for. I knew you couldn't just walk in and get one.

I went for a year or 2 after w/p since being month on/month off

Cheers

• Haha 1

Not everyone has been around as much as we have. Just pointing out the basics. Better than you will get from the 3 months been here barrack room lawyer in the bar.smile.png

Your proberly right...Based on some of the questions/comments on TV which come up, one suspects some people have never been out their home towns and the move to Thailand is the first move thay have ever made outside their own country... biggrin.png

• Like 1

Your proberly right...Based on some of the questions/comments on TV which come up, one suspects some people have never been out their home towns and the move to Thailand is the first move thay have ever made outside their own country... biggrin.png

Having been here 'BC' I adnit that I quite, wrong, very often, have to fall back on the old, sorry don't know ask my wife.

No shame to anyone who doesn't know the ins and outs, I can imaging the crap they get told by a friend of a friend in a bar, the friend of the friend has probably had 10 changs before before spouting his worldy knowledge of Thailand.biggrin.png

I've managed to catch a few good pointers from Thai Visa since I started.

• Like 1

I can't understand all these different opinions. If you have a Thai driving license you can get an International permit here very easy. No problem

What differing opinons ?... everyone here commenting who has been through the process is in concensus

BTW If you have a 1 year Thai DL, you cant get an IDP easy...cos they will not give you one...so it is a problem...wink.png

I can't understand all these different opinions. If you have a Thai driving license you can get an International permit here very easy. No problem

Just go to the nearest driving place and ask. Please report back.

In my experience it depends very much on the local office, and the Thai friend you take with you to help. If they are very pleasant and polite all will be well.

Many offices seem to consider that a 1 year licence is a provisional licence and won't issue an International on it.

It all depends on the office.

In my experience it depends very much on the local office, and the Thai friend you take with you to help. If they are very pleasant and polite all will be well.

Many offices seem to consider that a 1 year licence is a provisional licence and won't issue an International on it.

It all depends on the office.

Actually not all offices issue IDP's anyway, for example on the Pattaya forum everyone bleats on about Pattaya issuing them...they dont... they send the paperwork to BKK to be issued and the IDP's is sent back to Pattaya.

Further a 1 year Thai DL...is a provisional/temporary license...it says so on the license, have looking on the motoring forum this has been discussed at length.

There is, as Soutpeel said earlier, no such thing as an international driving licence.

Even international driving permit is a misnomer.

Effectively, all an IDP does is act as a translation of your real driving licence. Some countries require you to have one, many do not.

The UK doesn't; the licence issued by the relevant authority in your country of residence is sufficient. Although if it's in Thai then an IDP would be useful if stopped by Mr. Plod. (I've heard that Thai licences are now in both Thai and English; is this correct?)

The first time I intended hiring a car in Thailand I did get an IDP. The hire company ( a pukka one, not a cowboy on Beach Road) told me it wasn't needed and my GB licence was fine on it's own; so I've not bothered since.

The only time I've actually needed one was for driving in Morocco; but that was 30 years ago so it may have changed.

• Like 1

Yes 7b7 when I arrived into Glasgow, I pre-booked my car, my wife's thai lic was accepted. No need for the ID.

What we were discussing if you can get an IDC in bkk for overseas

On the question of being issued an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL, granted not a goverment source, but the pertinent points are

Type 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.

On any condition, temporary driving licence is not valid outside the Kingdom of Thailand and International Driving Permit is not issued to Temporary driver's licence holder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

Therefore the 1 year year variety is classed as a temporary license and you cannot drive outside Thailand on it..ergo..they will not issue you an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL

Yes 7b7 when I arrived into Glasgow, I pre-booked my car, my wife's thai lic was accepted. No need for the ID.

On the question of being issued an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL, granted not a goverment source, but the pertinent points areType 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.

On any condition, temporary driving licence is not valid outside the Kingdom of Thailand and International Driving Permit is not issued to Temporary driver's licence holder.

Therefore the 1 year year variety is classed as a temporary license and you cannot drive outside Thailand on it..ergo..they will not issue you an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL

And? Who mentioned a 1 yr temp? Had a 5yr up next yr. just go driving office........

On the question of being issued an IDP based on a 1 year Thai DL, granted not a goverment source, but the pertinent points areType 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.

And? Who mentioned a 1 yr temp? Had a 5yr up next yr. just go driving office........

My mistake answering one of "overherebc's" posts..biggrin.png

Here's my take on this subject. I've been driving here for over ten years. I have an IDP plus my license which was issued from a State in the USA. Only been asked for it a few times in ten years and never had any problems with the BIB. What it actually is, is a permit in conjunction with your regular drivers license that allows you to operate a motor vehicle in any country the is listed in the permit itself, which Thailand is in the list. One question though, why would you want an IDP if you already have a Thai license?

Here's my take on this subject. I've been driving here for over ten years. I have an IDP plus my license which was issued from a State in the USA. Only been asked for it a few times in ten years and never had any problems with the BIB. What it actually is, is a permit in conjunction with your regular drivers license that allows you to operate a motor vehicle in any country the is listed in the permit itself, which Thailand is in the list. One question though, why would you want an IDP if you already have a Thai license?

You do know if you drive for more than 3 months in Thailand on an IDP/home license and consider yourself a Thai "resident" then technnically speaking you are driving illegally in Thailand, your suppose to have a Thai DL, further an IDP doesnt allow you to drive anything, its mearly a "legalised" translation of your DL.

The OP may want an IDP based on his Thai DL because he intends driving in another country, not Thailand.. I have an IDP based on my Thai DL as have driven in other countries and some countries require you have and IDP along with your DL

Thanks for the advice/discussion.I do have a 5 year Thai motorbike,and car ,driving license.I live in Holland for about 8 months per year and Thailand for the remaining 4 months.I also have a Dutch (car) driving license but no motorbike license,thought i might be able to drive in Holland with Thai international,will try at the license office in Pattaya in August.

Thanks again