Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I am expecting a very good game today.

Have to say, i was scratching my head when i read this yesterday. Had no idea on what grounds you would have expected that. Still don't. Desperate optimism perhaps?

Terrible game.

Really! Recent games between the two have been very open and exciting, lets be honest a win for either team was high priority before the game considering their respective table positions. Yes was a let down but not sure what your comments are supposed to prove?

Desperate optimism?

Nothing desperate here Rex just gave my opinion I thought it would be a good game nothing more! As did most people I talked to and how it was being built on TV before hand. That’s why I heard so many people say afterwards what a disappointment from what they were expecting.

be surprised if torres is on the bench yet dev.

and i'm not expecting a good game. i'm expecting us to defend deep and stolidly the first half then look to nick something in the second. also think city will get more nervous the longer they don't score against us and that'll cause mancini to retreat a bit.

glad tevez is out but shame vieira's suspended though.

That was the biggest positive having Torres and Yossi back for selection so soon...

and i'm not expecting a good game. i'm expecting us to defend deep and stolidly the first half then look to nick something in the second. also think city will get more nervous the longer they don't score against us and that'll cause mancini to retreat a bit.

That was the biggest positive having Torres and Yossi back for selection so soon...

Good to see Torres and Gerrard have a run out on their new ground for next season?

Although Torres seems to have pledged his future to Liverpool more emphatically than Gerrard in recent months I think.

Good to see Torres and Gerrard have a run out on their new ground for next season?

Although Torres seems to have pledged his future to Liverpool more emphatically than Gerrard in recent months I think.

recent months schmecent months. gerrard said last season he'd end his career at liverpool and he will. would be nice for him to lift a championship trophy before he retires but i don't really see it happening.

Really! Recent games between the two have been very open and exciting, lets be honest a win for either team was high priority before the game considering their respective table positions.

My feelings before the game on what i expected weren't based on previous encounters - rather current form - a more reliable indicator i would suggest.

Yes was a let down but not sure what your comments are supposed to prove?

Desperate optimism?

Nothing desperate here Rex just gave my opinion I thought it would be a good game nothing more! As did most people I talked to and how it was being built on TV before hand. That's why I heard so many people say afterwards what a disappointment from what they were expecting.

TV talks up games for obvious reasons.

Realists who have been watching the way Liverpool play this season expected little and got that.

Desperate optimism? Yes i believe it's written all over the last ten, twenty pages of this thread. Take a look. You'll see after almost every dire game you have been involved in someone coming on here talking about the next game as being the turning point - the time when you really play to your potential. And 9 times out of 10 it ends up being just another forgetable performance.

Not saying i blame you. It's supporters' job to always retain a degree of faith - and it's credit that you do.

Stevie : You think the Brit media is <deleted>...

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez gets grilled by Romania's press and asked: Why are you so fat?

Rafa Benitez was quizzed about his weight in a bizarre press conference in Bucharest, prior to Liverpool's Europa League last 32 return leg with Unirea Urziceni.

The Liverpool manager has occasionally complained of harsh treatment from the English press but has never experienced anything like the line of interrogation adopted by Romania's media, in a first-floor suite of the team's hotel barely an hour-and-a-half after their charter jet touched down at Bucharest Airport.

He had already been grilled about travel arrangements that have been viewed in some quarters as a sign of disrespect towards Unirea, when local journalists turned up the heat with a string of provocative questions.

One asked how it felt to be taunted about the sack by opposing fans, another wanted to know the salary he would demand to coach a Romanian club and a third told him he had piled on the pounds since Liverpool's Champions' League final triumph over AC Milan nearly five years ago.

To Benitez's credit, he answered each one with a broad smile after stoutly defending his decision to delay departure from Liverpool until the middle of the afternoon, thereby foregoing the chance to train at Thursday night's venue, the Steaua Stadium in Bucharest.

The inquisition began with a suggestion that, by flying in late and heading back to Liverpool straight after the final whistle, he was taking the threat of the Romanian champions lightly.

'Not at all,' he replied. 'I just had to work out what would be the best preparation for the team, and I just felt that working on formations and set-pieces at Melwood before, rather than after, a three-hour flight would be the right option.

'As for after the game, if it goes to extra-time, the plane will wait, because it is a charter. Don't make the mistake of thinking we are taking anything for granted.'

In the line of fire: Benitez was quizzed about Liverpool's travel arrangements

It got personal after that, as he was bluntly asked how he coped with standing in the technical area and hearing opposing supporters chant: 'You're getting sacked in the morning.'

Unruffled, the under-pressure Spaniard claimed: 'I don't listen to them. When you are on the sidelines, watching your team, you are not aware of anything else. You are in the zone and concentrating only on what is happening on the pitch. Anyway, I don't always understand. My English still isn't all that good.'

Benitez was just as diplomatic over another direct query about what 'fee' he would expect to take over a side in Romania.

'It's not just about money,' he said. 'It's about being at the right club, and I feel I've got the right job now at Liverpool.'

With press officer Ian Cotton trying to wind up proceedings, the best was saved until last as the gentleman who brought up the subject of sack-related chants had the final word.

'Mr.Benitez,' he said. 'The last time I saw you was at the 2005 Champions' League final, and your, erm, silhouette seems to have changed since then. Why is that?'

Breaking out into a grin, Benitez responded: 'It is the stress of having to answer so many questions from the press. Thank you and goodnight.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz0gVskHCzO

jesus, that's surreal. perhaps the romanian press would have asked arsene wenger why he increasingly resembles a skeleton and alex ferguson why as he has grown older his nose has transformed into a strawberry.

cant begin to imagine what they would have said to old saggy chops :)

jesus, that's surreal. perhaps the romanian press would have asked arsene wenger why he increasingly resembles a skeleton and alex ferguson why as he has grown older his nose has transformed into a strawberry.

redknapp? reckon they'd just point and laugh at him. or say what someone once said to mick jagger, 'what's it like living life with a face like an old man's scrotum?'

yep, amazing.

I think Rafa showed remarkable composure, good humour and wit in his responses. If he did that in the UK he might be more liked!

redknapp? reckon they'd just point and laugh at him. or say what someone once said to mick jagger, 'what's it like living life with a face like an old man's scrotum?'

Well, now he hasn't just got the old man's face, he got the old man's scrotums for real as well!

Very nice. Not a great match but I'll take 3 goals! A rare name on the score sheet with Babel and an even rarer one with goal of the month from Mascherano. Gerrard with 4 shots on target, nice match overall but Unirea had their chances, too. I'm not confident with this competition yet but crossing my fingers for the first trophy in 4 years.

biggest thing for me about that match was that the players actually looked like they were enjoying their football for the first time in ages. and it took a kickabout on an east european cow field to do it. lille next round who are well beatable. hopefully this will give us a bit of a boost in confidence for league form now. bring on blackeye rovers and fat-headed self-important tit allardyce.

three point is three points, and i'll take that against fathead sam allardyce's dog and duck XI. unbelievable that they didn't have anyone sent off and that we finished the match without any serious injuries inflicted by their alehouse tactics.

BIRMINGHAM BOSS CLOSE TO ANFIELD MOVE?

McLeish linked with replacing Rafa at Liverpool

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

March 5, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Birmingham City boss Alex McLeish is the shock name being mentioned within boardrooms of the Premier League as a potential candidate for the Liverpool manager's job, should Rafa Benitez be lured away from Anfield by Juventus in the summer.

GettyImages

Alex McLeish: Future Liverpool manager?

McLeish has built a formidable reputation for his achievements in solidifying the Premier League status of the Midlands club and word is that he can be prised away for a relatively cheap compensation because of his contract terms at St Andrew's.

While a move for Jose Mourinho has been mooted, it's thought the Portuguese coach's huge personal price tag would be difficult for Liverpool to be match, with McLeish's wage demands likely to better fit Liverpool's budget.

In addition, any move for the Inter Milan boss, presently earmarked for Manchester City if they change managers in the summer, would require a massive transfer budget.

McLeish is one of Sir Alex Ferguson's apprentices, and the pair struck up a perfect manager-captain relationship at Aberdeen, when Sir Alex was making a big impression at the beginning of his managerial career.

A Premier League chairman told Soccernet: "There has been mention of McLeish and Liverpool, but who knows how strong it might be. I would put it no more than 50-50, you never know.

"It is easy to see why a club like Liverpool would be interested [in McLesih] if Rafa Benitez did leave in the summer, as its common knowledge that Juventus have been showing interest in him."

^ Ahh. What a superb rumour, true or not. He'd actually be better than Rafa - he'd cost less money, spend less money and he has achieved a lot from a low starting point with his team.

Liverpool will need a mediocre manager for their side next season.

It makes you wonder how the money issue will play out at Anfield. It would be the same for United if they weren't playing so well this season.

I don't think United are playing so well this season,i also think the competition is not as good as in previous seasons.

Liverpools problem has always been they cant get enough in Anfield,too small.no foresight by the powers that be in the great 80's

United could have a 100.000 stadia and still fill it,might be by a lot of plastic supporters but they will still go.

I don't think United are playing so well this season,i also think the competition is not as good as in previous seasons.

Liverpools problem has always been they cant get enough in Anfield,too small.no foresight by the powers that be in the great 80's

United could have a 100.000 stadia and still fill it,might be by a lot of plastic supporters but they will still go.

I don't think United are playing so well this season

Well, they are in a much better position than Liverpool.

As an Everton fan, it will make my day if Liverpool come cap in hand to us to groundshare, having done a Benitez on us previously and spurned all suggestions of it.

Maybe McLeish will be more amenable.

^ Ahh. What a superb rumour, true or not. He'd actually be better than Rafa - he'd cost less money, spend less money and he has achieved a lot from a low starting point with his team.

Liverpool will need a mediocre manager for their side next season.

It makes you wonder how the money issue will play out at Anfield. It would be the same for United if they weren't playing so well this season.

possibly, after they pay benitez and his right hand men upwards of 20 mill, to replace him f,or somebody with ginger hair thats had 1.5 mediocre seasons at brum, why not?? saying that he has top class pedigree?? didnt he win the league cup or something like that up in scotland once or twice?/ and all his champions league experience , say no more :)

Great result last night-for Wigan,Spurs,City and Villa.

Is the fat Spanish waiter still guaranteeing 4th place and a place inthe Champions League?

I hope Benitez and the Yanks stay for a few more years.

There's nothing wrong with Liverpool that Benitez going to Juve and twelve months rebuilding won't cure. Actually, add getting rid of the Sherman's to that :)

Great result last night-for Wigan,Spurs,City and Villa.

Is the fat Spanish waiter still guaranteeing 4th place and a place inthe Champions League?

I hope Benitez and the Yanks stay for a few more years.

There's nothing wrong with Liverpool that Benitez going to Juve and twelve months rebuilding won't cure. Actually, add getting rid of the Sherman's to that :)

Re Building ??

With no Torres & no CL Football ??

Forget it, there's more chance of Administration for them with these people in charge..

They couldnt fill the away end at Wigan last night if im not mistaken its only about 20 miles.

Funny you should say that, a Fella i was watching it with said that he couldn't believe how the don't fill the whole Ground at Wigan with their Support as it is, i pointed out to him that they hadn't even filled the Away End..

What is Steve McMahon on ? he ses Villa won't win the league as they have extra games in the FA cup, which is a maximum of 2, and then ses Liverpool will win the league but fails to mention that they have a possible 8 games in the Europa league :)