Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

no james, read that paragraph again. that reporter is saying that the referee saw the incident and penalised gerrard. he then contradicts himself by saying that the referee may be 'invited' to review his decision, something he cannot do having ruled on it at the time. referees can only judge incidents post-match that they didn't see at the time, as with ferdinand.

"had the referee spotted the foul" clearly he didn't no?

"I would have given him a straight red card if I saw it" Steve Bennett on Ferdinand.

no james, read that paragraph again. that reporter is saying that the referee saw the incident and penalised gerrard. he then contradicts himself by saying that the referee may be 'invited' to review his decision, something he cannot do having ruled on it at the time. referees can only judge incidents post-match that they didn't see at the time, as with ferdinand.

"I would have given him a straight red card if I saw it" Steve Bennett on Ferdinand.

"Attwell penalised Gerrard for flooring Brown". james, he gave a free-kick for fuc_k's sake. as the journalist acknowledges, albeit contradicting himself, and which i saw, beacuse i was watching the match. why are you arguing something about which you have no clue?

"Attwell penalised Gerrard for flooring Brown". james, he gave a free-kick for fuc_k's sake. as the journalist acknowledges, albeit contradicting himself, and which i saw, beacuse i was watching the match. why are you arguing something about which you have no clue?

its more fun this way :)

was only pompey i know but that's possibly the best we've played all season. maxi had a cracking game, torres is almost back to his usual self and guess what? aquilani's a player if he's allowed to be. even babel was less than shit for a change. hopefully we can carry that forward into thursday and then the glams at the weekend.

was only pompey i know but that's possibly the best we've played all season. maxi had a cracking game, torres is almost back to his usual self and guess what? aquilani's a player if he's allowed to be. even babel was less than shit for a change. hopefully we can carry that forward into thursday and then the glams at the weekend.

Aquilani is a top flight player but i would'nt take too much out of it because Pompey are so aweful they will always allow you to play. Now, next weeks the one, and i expect Liverpool to really step up a gear for that, But with the form of Rooney/Berbatov you will have to score two or three to win.

Aquilani is a top flight player but i would'nt take too much out of it because Pompey are so aweful they will always allow you to play. Now, next weeks the one, and i expect Liverpool to really step up a gear for that, But with the form of Rooney/Berbatov you will have to score two or three to win.

we'll see. but i don't expect aquilani to start against salford.

torres is coming nicely back into form ahead of playing his bitch vidic, and if we can detail mascherano or carragher to stop rooney playing then we can get something i think. not the easiest task of course as he's on fire, but if you stop rooney you stop united.

torres is coming nicely back into form ahead of playing his bitch vidic, and if we can detail mascherano or carragher to stop rooney playing then we can get something i think. not the easiest task of course as he's on fire, but if you stop rooney you stop united.

hmm them are fighting words Red Shirt - over to the newsclipping section for you!

Not as easy as that,Valencia and Nani are the main supply route for him at the moment,then you will have to win the midfield battle as always in these games normally very tight.

At least you had a win to put you right for your biggest game left this season :)

I think if Gerrard goes which he will to Madrid,following Benitez then maybe Torres might follow also.

Did you notice that, as soon as Torres (and, to a leere extent, Gerrard) went off the team were back to "headless chicken" mode, though. Whoever got the ball looked as if he didnt know what to do with it, until they either passed it sideways or back....or lost it to a Pompey player

Penkoprod

Did you notice that, as soon as Torres (and, to a leere extent, Gerrard) went off the team were back to "headless chicken" mode, though. Whoever got the ball looked as if he didnt know what to do with it, until they either passed it sideways or back....or lost it to a Pompey player

Penkoprod

we were 4-0 up and switched off. not excusable but it was nice to at least have that bloody option for a change.

oh and would someone send manchester united a copy of the laws of the game please? i know alex ferguson doesn't think they apply to him normally, but for fuc_k's sake.

Manchester United angry as Liverpool's Steven Gerrard escapes FA probe

Daniel Taylor

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 16 March 2010 17.34 GMT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ma...nchester-united

Steven Gerrard has escaped disciplinary action over for the use of his forearm against Portsmouth's Michael Brown in Liverpool's 4-1 win yesterday. The decision has incensed Manchester United and led to allegations that the Football Association has employed double standards. Had he been found guilty of violent conduct, Gerrard would have been banned from Liverpool's trip to Old Trafford on Sunday. The collision with Gerrard knocked Brown to the floor.

United's anger stems mostly from the fact that the defender Rio Ferdinand was banned for three games for swinging an arm into the face of Craig Fagan during a 4-0 win against Hull in January. That punishment was increased by one match after Ferdinand appealed. The champions will not make official comment on Gerrard's case but privately they have admitted to being surprised by the verdict and not understanding why the Liverpool captain has been let off. The ruling is also likely to go down badly among Liverpool's rivals for the fourth Champions League place.

The FA says it cannot act because the referee concerned, Stuart Attwell, has maintained that Gerrard's offence did not merit a booking or a red card.

In Ferdinand's case, the incident was missed by the referee, Steve Bennett, who said that he would have shown a red card had he seen it. Attwell has told the FA that he was satisfied with how he dealt with the incident, by awarding Portsmouth a free-kick and speaking to Gerrard.

The United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, feels that his team are punished more severely than other clubs. At Ferdinand's hearing United's legal team cited the FA's failure to charge Liverpool's Javier Mascherano over a similar incident involving the Leeds striker Jermaine Beckford at Elland Road in September.

Attwell's view that he was in control of the incident is unlikely to improve his reputation. The youngest Premier League referee by some distance, at 27, he has become known for mistakes, most notoriously the award of a "ghost goal" in a match between Watford and Reading in September 2008.

Gerrard escaped punishment from the FA last week after making a two-fingered gesture towards the referee Andre Marriner in a 1-0 defeat at Wigan. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, responded to Monday's incident by substituting his captain.

Stevie I had a chance to see the incident in the replay of the game last night. The one view far away it didn't look too bad but when they showed the close up from a different angle (several times) you have to admit it was pretty nasty. Even the commentators who saw the replay commented it should have been a red card.

C'est la vie.

well commentators are no guide really james. watching it live it was clear that gerrard threw a forearm at brown but only after brown had had a swing at gerrard first. dindane's elbow later in the game was far worse than gerrard's and don't forget that michael brown is a horrible piece of work as well.

well commentators are no guide really james. watching it live it was clear that gerrard threw a forearm at brown but only after brown had had a swing at gerrard first. dindane's elbow later in the game was far worse than gerrard's and don't forget that michael brown is a horrible piece of work as well.

I don't disagree about Browne Stevie but you have to admit it was cheap shot. I could argue that Fagan is a piece of <deleted> but why bother. Looking forward to this weekend!

Stevie, Brown's a wanke_r but still, I have to admit I thought it was easily a straight red for Gerrard but then again I had the luxury of seeing multiple times. Whatever the reason, Gerrard needs to keep his head. We can't deny that an elbow or forearm swung at the head (whether, side, back or face of) is a straight red card according the rules, and it was blatantly obvious to me. Lucky he got away with it, in my opinion. Also, when was the Dindane elbow? I don't remember that or missed it. I still have the match recorded so want to go back and look at it.

quick sweep on the odds tonight.

events - gerrard

2-1 - mascherano

5-2 - torres

3-1 - carragher

5-1 - reina

11-2 - bar.

this is the book for which liverpool player will be sent off by howard webb following alex ferguson's press comments this week as usual heaping pressure onto a referee ahead of a match.

events - gerrard

2-1 - mascherano

5-2 - torres

3-1 - carragher

5-1 - reina

11-2 - bar.

this is the book for which liverpool player will be sent off by howard webb following alex ferguson's press comments this week as usual heaping pressure onto a referee ahead of a match.

I thought they were pretty high odds, until I realised it wasn't for which players are likely to leave Liverpool this summer!

evens - gerrard

2-1 - mascherano

5-2 - torres

3-1 - carragher

5-1 - reina

11-2 - bar.

I thought they were pretty high odds, until I realised it wasn't for which players are likely to leave Liverpool this summer!

badoom-tish. :)

that list would read more like:

riera - 1-5F

mascherano - 2-1

babel - 3-1

skrtel - 5-2

gerrard - 4-1

torres - 66-1

evens - gerrard

2-1 - mascherano

5-2 - torres

3-1 - carragher

5-1 - reina

11-2 - bar.

badoom-tish. :)

that list would read more like:

riera - 1-5F

mascherano - 2-1

babel - 3-1

skrtel - 5-2

gerrard - 4-1

torres - 66-1

Why so confident about keeping Torres?

Why so confident about keeping Torres?

because he's repeatedly stated his love for the club and has also said that he wouldn't want to play for any other english club. he's a proud and loyal player as shown by his time with atleti and has never indicated being a mercenary at all. just think he 'gets' what the club is about much like reina does. i'll be enormously surprised if he agitated to leave in the summer and if the owners tried to cash in on him to pay down some debt they'd be lynched.

not heard from our lad yet but i am expecting us to line up:

reina

johnson carragher agger insua

mascherano lucas

kuyt gerrard maxi

torres

babel and aquilani to feature later depending on what's happening and how many of ours baldy get webb has sent off.

because he's repeatedly stated his love for the club

A foreign playing loving an English club? Not impossible, but unlikely i would say.

Torres does however seem faithful. Whether that's to the club, the manager or a mixture of the two i'm not sure. Put it this way though, if the manager goes, i reckon your odds on Torres leaving change drastically.