Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

because he's repeatedly stated his love for the club

A foreign playing loving an English club? Not impossible, but unlikely i would say.

Torres does however seem faithful. Whether that's to the club, the manager or a mixture of the two i'm not sure. Put it this way though, if the manager goes, i reckon your odds on Torres leaving change drastically.

i'd probably agree with you there. benitez took a punt on torres when other managers were afraid to and he's helped him improve greatly as a player.

and why should a foreign player not 'love' an english club? we've had plenty in the past, from dalglish through the likes of molby and didi hamann to reina and torres today. would you not say that george best and denis law loved man united?

i'd probably agree with you there. benitez took a punt on torres when other managers were afraid to and he's helped him improve greatly as a player.

Totally agreed.

and why should a foreign player not 'love' an english club?

Depends where the foreign player comes from and how foreign they are, if you get my meaning.

BTW - as much as it may offend the Scots and the Irish, i think it would be fair to say that most English people don't consider them as being foreign. :)

And i said it was unlikely, not impossible. Are there exceptions? Yes. Are they the exception? Yes.

Totally agreed.

and why should a foreign player not 'love' an english club?

Depends where the foreign player comes from and how foreign they are, if you get my meaning.

BTW - as much as it may offend the Scots and the Irish, i think it would be fair to say that most English people don't consider them as being foreign. :)

And i said it was unlikely, not impossible. Are there exceptions? Yes. Are they the exception? Yes.

they're certainly 'foreign' in football terms, albeit there are lots of irish players for example who grow up being man united or liverpool fans. they're playing outside of their home country so their loyalty to an english club shouldn't really be any different to a spaniard, frenchman or italian, aside perhaps from the language factor.

true, true. you can probably go through the premier league and name players at each club who have clearly 'loved' it, but yeah they're the exceptions. zola at chelsea, henry at arsenal, klinsmann at spurs etc.

they're certainly 'foreign' in football terms, albeit there are lots of irish players for example who grow up being man united or liverpool fans. they're playing outside of their home country so their loyalty to an english club shouldn't really be any different to a spaniard, frenchman or italian, aside perhaps from the language factor.

I wasn't talking loyalty, i was talking love. And i disagree about the Irish being no different from the Spanish, French or Italians. An Irish player is more likely to feel a connection to an English club in the same way that a Portuguese player is more likely to feel a connection to a Spanish club.

I wasn't talking loyalty, i was talking love. And i disagree about the Irish being no different from the Spanish, French or Italians. An Irish player is more likely to feel a connection to an English club in the same way that a Portuguese player is more likely to feel a connection to a Spanish club.

well in football define the difference between loyalty and love? plenty of english players have played for liverpool who i wouldn't say 'loved' the club.

agree about spain/portugal, but that's a cultural thing more than anything else. as it is between ireland and england, where the language is also a major element.

well in football define the difference between loyalty and love?

To me, being loyal simply means honouring a contract and not going out of your way to court other clubs. Love is something a bit different, but i'm not sure how comfortable i am discussing it on a male dominated football forum. Ask the missus perhaps? :)

agree about spain/portugal, but that's a cultural thing more than anything else. as it is between ireland and england, where the language is also a major element.

I'm confused. I thought you were saying you couldn't see the difference between the Irish and say the French in terms of being connected to an English club? What you have stated above is exactly the reason why there is a difference.

To me, being loyal simply means honouring a contract and not going out of your way to court other clubs. Love is something a bit different, but i'm not sure how comfortable i am discussing it on a male dominated football forum. Ask the missus perhaps? :)

i'm secure in my metrosexuality, i got no problem discussing it. :D

I'm confused. I thought you were saying you couldn't see the difference between the Irish and say the French in terms of being connected to an English club? What you have stated above is exactly the reason why there is a difference.

i think what i was getting at is that i don't really believe it matters any more what country a footballer comes from as regards loyalty. yes a portugeezer will be more drawn to spain as south americans are, but in terms of that engendering 'love' for a club, i think that's more about the individual club and its fans' response to the player. some players just 'fit' at a club and some don't.

Psssst. I hear alan shearer is available to manage you lot for the run in. :)

Nah, we missed out there - Fergie already signed him to console your lot when Chelsea collect the trophy :D

This is nearly as funny as the "6th minute damage is done" statement. It is a three horse race -and I reckon Arsenal are the side to overcome.

Man U for the(ir 19th) title. Liverpool fighting for fourth place.

Something is wrong with Liverpool, and paying 30m quid to bin Rafa and his backroom staff may be money well spent.

A terrible performance today, but Torres looked good. Gerrard was very poor.

Man U for the(ir 19th) title. Liverpool fighting for fourth place.

Something is wrong with Liverpool, and paying 30m quid to bin Rafa and his backroom staff may be money well spent.

A terrible performance today, but Torres looked good. Gerrard was very poor.

Too many grafters and anonymous players today, and not enough flair. Torres wasn't supplied with much, and spent quite a bit of time playing wide.

Fourth is looking like a dream too far after this......even for the most ardent Rafa fan.

This new Standard Charter shirt sponsorship deal is on a sliding scale, from what i have read. The full £20 mill each year depends on CL football, so they wont HAVE anywhere near 30 mill to binbag him. Unless they sell Torres, Gerrard as well as the likes of Riera. Babel and Aquilani.

Then who would want the job???

And, as for these potential new investors..................... :)

Penkoprod

The full £20 mill each year depends on CL football, so they wont HAVE anywhere near 30 mill to binbag him.

Ridiculous situation to end up in - not being able to afford to get rid of someone who is failing in their job.

Rafa should restore some pride for himself by walking out and allowing the club to get someone else in. The fans still hold him in high-esteem but if he lets this stale-mate drag out for another season they may turn - some of course already have.

Torres was sharp yesterday - only need to see his goal to know that - but then after that all he had really was two half chances, nothing clear cut. He looked mighty frustrated. And as for Gerrard, he just looks like he is not enjoying the game. He needs a long break and a fresh start by the looks of it.

M. United are hard enough to beat without a bullshit penalty call. Pure <deleted>.

Not a terrible performance from Liverpool, that's harsh. We should have had a draw but Torres mis-kicked at the end. Looked like one point in the bag once you saw it was coming to him 6 yards away from the goal.

Very hard to take with the missed chance at the end and the bogus penalty. Very hard.

M. United are hard enough to beat without a bullshit penalty call. Pure <deleted>.

Not a terrible performance from Liverpool, that's harsh. We should have had a draw but Torres mis-kicked at the end. Looked like one point in the bag once you saw it was coming to him 6 yards away from the goal.

Very hard to take with the missed chance at the end and the bogus penalty. Very hard.

Even Benitez agreed it was a penalty...the pain will ease :)

we didn't play brilliantly but it would have been nice to see how the game unfolded with us having started brightly and taken an early lead without a bullshit decision changing the face of the game. never a penalty in a million years, and webb went on to compound it with decisions like neville kicking maxi in the head and giving nothing then fletcher lashing out at kuyt and again nothing. hard enough playing away at old trafford without having to play fourteen fuc_king men. ho hum, ferguson influences ref, ref has shit game, plus ca change.

we didn't play brilliantly but it would have been nice to see how the game unfolded with us having started brightly and taken an early lead without a bullshit decision changing the face of the game. never a penalty in a million years, and webb went on to compound it with decisions like neville kicking maxi in the head and giving nothing then fletcher lashing out at kuyt and again nothing. hard enough playing away at old trafford without having to play fourteen fuc_king men. ho hum, ferguson influences ref, ref has shit game, plus ca change.

Over the past few years Liverpool have had some very jammy decisions, especially at Anfield. Their luck has seemingly run out.

Do you think Rafa should go, or do you reckon he is good for one more season?

Over the past few years Liverpool have had some very jammy decisions, especially at Anfield. Their luck has seemingly run out.

Do you think Rafa should go, or do you reckon he is good for one more season?

we get nothing like what united do and our manager does not get away with pressurising referees like mister ferguson has and does.

i want him to stay as i think his previous five years of progression buy him the leeway of one godawful season like this one. that said i think that our problems are far larger than the manager and we won't advance or stop the rot until we have new owners. that also said, i think rafa benitez will be madrid manager next season.

maybe, depends on what RBS make us do really. we've a £100m loan to be repaid this summer and the owners show no sign of advancing any money. player sales may be enforced, since it's very likely torres will have a good world cup and we'll get silly bids from chelsea and city for him.

gerrard at the minute can fuc_k off anyway.

maybe, depends on what RBS make us do really. we've a £100m loan to be repaid this summer and the owners show no sign of advancing any money. player sales may be enforced, since it's very likely torres will have a good world cup and we'll get silly bids from chelsea and city for him.

Calm down calm down...just cos Fletcher had him in his pocket for most of the game, :) he is still top draw and what do you think Madrid or City would pay for him 50 million??

Torres?? 80/100 million?

Edited by NADTATIDA1

Calm down calm down...just cos Fletcher had him in his pocket for most of the game, :) he is still top draw and what do you think Madrid or City would pay for him 50 million??

Torres?? 80/100 million?

yeah, that's the sort of bid we'll get for torres.

gerrard's been playing with a face like a smacked arse for months and has had one eye on the world cup since christmas. not captain behaviour. he was lazy yesterday.

Stevie G has nothing more to give to us, he nearly won the league for us by himself last season.

Him leaving would be a nail in the Liverpool coffin.

We sold Hypia / Keane / Alonso. Yossi has been treated like s**t after a fantastic season last year.

Its a dogs dinner.

Stevie G has nothing more to give to us, he nearly won the league for us by himself last season.

Him leaving would be a nail in the Liverpool coffin.

We sold Hypia / Keane / Alonso. Yossi has been treated like s**t after a fantastic season last year.

Its a dogs dinner.

eh? yossi's been injured half the season.

Not that I believe all I read in the British press, but rumour has it that Roy Hodgeson could be in line as Liverpool's next manager.

I wondered if the genuine Liverpool supporters here on T.V. think it would be a realistic option.

He's certainly has the experience.