Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

just out of interest, and i want an expats view on this. reason is were not surrounded by bitters on a day to day basis here.

Everton or United - biggest game of the season?

http://forum.raotl.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=66098

for me id have to the mancs is our biggest game, but i enjoyed yesterday more than any game in the last few years.

If I was living in Liverpool then it would have to be the Everton game.

But living out here the Man U is a bigger game , I have loads of mates who are Man u fans out here but not so many Everton fans who are mates.

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reds derby player ratings

PEPE REINA: No repeat of the Spaniard’s derby nightmare last season as he produced a sound display and was clever with his distribution. Score 7

STEVE FINNAN: Not the most taxing of afternoons for the Irish full-back as Everton operated without an orthodox left winger. Score 7

JOHN ARNE RIISE: As a relative derby veteran, he was preferred to Alvaro Arbeloa. Could have shown more composure when blasting over. Score 6

SAMI HYYPIA: Overall game was competent but the Finn will be relieved to end up a winner after superseding Sandy Brown as the scorer of the most spectacular Merseyside derby own goal. Score 5

JAMIE CARRAGHER: Playing when unfit in the corresponding fixture last season, the boyhood Evertonian was determined to make amends. Most observers felt he was fortunate to get away with his stoppage time challenge on Lescott. Score 6

STEVEN GERRARD: Operating on the right-hand side of midfield, the Liverpool skipper recovered from his England disappointment to earn the visitors’ first penalty but was substituted for being ‘too passionate’. Score 7

JAVIER MASCHERANO: The dying embers of the Argentinian’s short and not-so-sweet spell at West Ham came in a six-minute cameo in a 2-0 defeat at Goodison last December but revived at Liverpool, this scenario was much different. Score 7

MOMO SISSOKO: Earned the praise of his manager afterwards for a typically all-action display but distribution left a lot to be desired. Score 6

YOSSI BENAYOUN: Another derby debutant, the Israeli was a constant menace with his trickery and he almost helped but Liverpool ahead early on. Score 7

ANDRIY VORONIN: Continues to impress with his strong and committed displays. Score 8

DIRK KUYT: The friendly Dutchman lost his cool when lunging at Phil Neville and was fortunate to stay on but held his nerve to convert both penalties. Score 7

RYAN BABEL (on for Benayoun, 68): A raw but dangerous presence on the right-wing. Score 7

LUCAS LEIVA (on for Gerrard, 71): An unlikely baptism of fire for the young Brazilian but his shot in stoppage time would have gone in had it not been for Neville’s handball. Scorer 7

JERMAINE PENNANT (on for Sissoko, 87) It was slightly surprising that the winger was not introduced early against 10 men. Score 6

Rafa Benitez: ‘Decisions were not controversial’

LIVERPOOL manager Rafael Benitez refused to acknowledge that his side benefited from some controversial refereeing decision in Saturday’s 2-1 comeback victory over Everton at Goodison Park.

Instead the Spaniard chose to focus on referee-ing decisions he felt went against his team in their 3-0 defeat at the correspon-ding fixture last season.

A brace of penalties by Dirk Kuyt, the second coming in stoppage time, enabled Liverpool to take the spoils in the 206th Merseyside derby after Everton had led at the interval through a Sami Hyypia own goal.

Benitez’s opposite number David Moyes was left stunned when Kuyt was left on the field to score the winner after he survived with only a yellow card after a high two-footed lunge at Phil Neville although the Dutchman failed to make contact.

Everton were also left feeling severely aggrieved when referee Mark Clattenburg turned down a last-gasp penalty appeal when Jamie Carragher appeared to haul down Joleon Lescott right in front of the Tyne & Wear official – after Kuyt had already put Liverpool ahead. However, Benitez brushed off Everton’s claims as ‘derby excitement’ caused by the emotion of the occasion and instead pointed at a couple of key decisions he felt had gone against Liverpool at Goodison in September 2006.

He said: “For me, every single foul was a ‘penalty’ a ‘red card’ or ‘yellow card’ because it was a derby and it’s exciting.

“It’s football, last season we conceded two goals with two fouls. I was watching the DVD and it was very clear and nobody said anything.

“It was a disaster because we conceded three goals but two of them were with fouls. Now we scored with two goals from penalties which were penalties so it’s okay.

“If we analysis every situation like this in a derby maybe there will be 10 penalties in each derby.”

Dutch international Kuyt recovered from a hamstring injury to hold his nerve from the spot twice to net his first Premier League goals of the season but despite the player acknowledging he was lucky afterwards, Benitez insisted there was no reason why the former Feyenoord man should have been sent off for a flying ‘kung <deleted>-style’ lunge in the direction of Neville although no contact was made. Benitez said: “The ball was one way and (Dirk) Kuyt was in the other (motions a 180 degree angle). Okay he was very aggressive but he did not touch the player.

“He was trying to stop the cross. Intent? You know Kuyt, forget it.”

Kuyt: Memory of defeat spurred us on

DIRK KUYT revealed Liverpool were driven on by the memory of last season’s derby humiliation at Goodison Park.

The Dutchman scored two penalties on Saturday to secure the 2-1 victory that avenged the miserable 3-0 defeat last September.

Kuyt said: “I’m very proud for the supporters and the team. It’s unbelievable in the dressing room.

“This is the first derby win for me and I hope there are many to follow. You saw on the pitch how happy we were at the final whistle and it was the same in the dressing room.

“To win the game means a lot, we remembered what happened here last season.

“We definitely wanted something different this time around. We showed them we are a better team now.

“You could see our reaction after the game and what it meant to all of us.

“Derby wins mean a lot to people like Jamie and Stevie, but they mean a lot to the rest of the players as well, we all understand how important these derby games are to our fans.

“We were really unlucky with the own goal of Sami Hyypia, who I thought did well otherwise in the game.

“We just had to keep on going after that we only wanted one thing and that wasn’t to draw but to win the game.”

Saturday’s win was Liverpool’s sixth in their last eight visits to Everton, and means Rafael Benitez’s men have taken 13 out of a possible 15 points on their travels this season.

But Everton claimed they should have had the chance to take a point with a penalty of their own in the dying seconds when Joleon Lescott tussled with Jamie Carragher inside the area.

But Kuyt said: “At the end, I couldn’t see whether it was a penalty with Jamie, but Jamie said to me that it wasn’t, that football is a man’s game and that it wasn’t penalty.

“We deserved to win.”

Let's hope so Rafa :o :

Gerrard will understand substitution, says Benitez

LIVERPOOL manager Rafael Benitez believes that captain Steven Gerrard will understand the decision to substitute him in the derby when he reflects on the game.

Gerrard looked surprised when his number eight was shown on the fourth official’s board with 20 minutes remaining at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Despite the game being finely balanced at the time, Benitez made a bold decision to substitute Gerrard for Brazilian rookie Lucas Leiva.

Although it was seen as an unusual move at the time, the gamble paid off as the youngster inspired Liverpool’s winning goal by firing in a goalbound shot which Phil Neville handled on the line to earn the visitors their stoppage time penalty.

Benitez revealed he had decided to withdraw his skipper because the England midfielder was playing with ‘too much passion’ and with his heart rather than his head.

He said: “The idea was clear. We were playing with 11 players against 10, we had plenty of possession and we needed to control the ball.

“I looked at (John Arne) Riise a player with quality and game intelligence, (Momo) Sissoko was doing a fantastic job, and (Javier) Mascherano was keeping the position in front of the centre-backs.

“I needed to change a player for playing between the lines around the midfielders.

“If I changed Kuyt or (Andriy) Voronin it could be the same (reaction from supporters).

“Gerrard is a fantastic player, there is no doubt about this but you are playing the game and you need to take decisions to win the game.

“If I’d had needed to change Pepe Reina because he was nervous I would do it. Sometimes you need to wait, sometimes you need to do it.”

Gerrard seemed surprised by the manager’s decision to withdraw him from the action but Benitez insists his captain will understand the reasons behind the move once the derby dust has settled.

He said: “He wanted to play for sure. I tried to talk to him but he was disappointed.

“The clever decision will be to look at it with him later and analyse why (the decision was made). I think he will understand because it is normal to do the best for the team.”

One player Benitez did have special praise for in midfield was Momo Sissoko despite the Mali international firing wide from close range when presented with a glorious opportunity to clinch the points before Kuyt’s winner.

Benitez said: “He’s doing a fantastic job.

“He gives the ball away sometimes but he will be the best player in every game because he runs more than anyone, he regains more balls than anyone, and he covers all his team-mates.

“He needs to improve in front of goal, I’ve told him he needs to practise but I have faith in him.”

Dirk Kuyt: I was ‘lucky’ to stay on after lunge

CFFA1E58-D1A0-3EE0-FED7F70FE0B2A005.jpg

DERBY hero Dirk Kuyt has defended his horror tackle on Phil Neville – but admits he was “a bit lucky” to avoid being sent off.

The Dutch striker netted twice from the penalty spot as Rafael Benitez’s side came from behind to win the 206th Merseyside derby 2-1 against nine-man Everton at Goodison on Saturday.

An own goal from Sami Hyypia had given the home team a half-time lead but Kuyt equalised on 54 minutes before netting the winner in injury time after Tony Hibbert and then Neville had been dismissed.

However, Everton were furious Kuyt had not also been red-carded by referee Mark Clattenburg shortly after his first goal when he launched into an ugly-looking two-footed block towards Neville.

Story continues arw_down.gif

ADVERTISEMENTempty.gif http://' target="_blank">

But the striker said: “Some people who saw it on the television said it looks bad but, in my opinion, I just went to make a tackle and I never meant to touch the player and I didn’t touch the player.

“Maybe I was a bit lucky, but I think that it looked worse than it actually was. It was not my intention to touch the player and I accept the yellow card.”

Liverpool’s win extends their unbeaten start to the Premier League season and keeps them within six points of leaders Arsenal, who they entertain next Sunday.

It was also the perfect start to an important week for Benitez’s side, with the crucial Champions League clash in Istanbul against Besiktas to come on Wednesday.

“If you want to win the Premier League, you need to win these kind of games,” said Kuyt. “It was really important for our confidence. There are a lot of difficult games coming up such as Besiktas in midweek and Arsenal next Sunday, and we have to go on from this.

“Even when we were 1-0 down, you saw the confidence in the team that we could still win. We showed in the second half we can play good football, although admittedly we were playing against 10 men.”

Kuyt, whose goals were his first in the Premier League this season, revealed the decision to take the penalties lay between himself and strike partner Andriy Voronin.

But having confidently dispatched the first spot-kick, the Dutchman admits there was a split-second where he feared Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard had saved his injury-time winning penalty.

“It was a test of nerve,” said Kuyt. “It was brilliant to win the derby with a penalty in the last minute, sometimes you have to show your nerve and I managed to do that.

“It was more difficult than the first penalty as I’d already taken one against Howard and he’s a good keeper. You have to think about what you are going to do. I decided to shoot in the same direction and hope that it would be an omen, and it was.

“There was a moment when I saw he was going in the right direction but the ball was hit hard enough. Sometimes we change the taker when we get a second penalty, but I had the confidence and the belief to score the goals and help win the game.

“Me and Andriy were on the list to take a penalty, and we decided between us that I would take it. Stevie came to up to me and asked ‘are you sure?’ and I said that I was sure.

“I’m also happy because they were my first two goals in the Premier League this season and hopefully I can go on from this.

“I was injured for the last 10 days and didn’t go with the national team. I also didn’t start the last two games for Liverpool, so I was really happy that I could start and it was good I could score twice but the most important thing is that we won the game.”

Here is Rafa's reason / excuse / call it want ever you want :o / decision for substituting Steven Gerrard in the derby last night :

" In this game , sometimes you need to play with the brain and we were playing with the heart. We needed to keep the ball and pass the ball ".

OUCH !!!!!!!!!.

I said we hadn't heard the last of this :D :

Benitez: It may take time for Gerrard to accept substitution decision

895A2BD3-E146-D0F8-5D62839B891EB44C.jpg

RAFAEL BENITEZ has admitted it might take time for Steven Gerrard to accept his decision to withdraw him from Saturday’s Merseyside derby.

The Liverpool manager met his captain at Melwood yesterday to iron out any lingering differences over the controversial decision to substitute him with Brazilian Lucas after 72 minutes.

A bewildered Gerrard initially ignored his manager when he was taken off and Benitez later explained that he wanted his team to play with more intelligence rather than passion.

Although the risk paid off when Liverpool finished up with a controversial 2-1 win over Everton, Gerrard arranged to meet with Benitez yesterday to obtain a clearer explanation about the decision.

Although the player insisted details of their conversation would remain private, Benitez did reveal: “We have talked because every player would be disappointed, especially Gerrard because it was a derby.

“He wanted to score the winning goal, but he is okay.

“After some time he’ll understand that it was an idea and I was thinking about the best for the team.

“When you are a manager you need to make decisions, not just think about them.

“You must think how you can win the game. Every player is the same for me when you are trying to win a game.

“You know when you change a player he must show that he wants to play, but I think he was okay at the end.”

Before he met with his manager, Gerrard expressed his disappointment at being denied the chance to be on the pitch when Liverpool completed victory against their city rivals.

And he also thanked the supporters for sticking by him while he goes through a period of, by his standards, indifferent form.

“I would have liked nothing better than to play the full game and to be on the pitch when we got the winner,” Gerrard said.

“I was hurt and disappointed at being taken off because I am a local lad and the derby means everything to me.

“I will be speaking to the manager about it just to find out why I was substituted, but I won’t be banging on his door or anything like that.

“I’ve been in the game long enough to know that no-one is going to play every minute of every game and there will be times when I’m taken off like everyone else.

“The most important thing is that we won the game

The dreaded vote of confidence has arrived for Rafa :o , plus news on the new stadium from our yank owners :

Reds owner backs Benitez policy

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has received the backing of Reds co-owner Tom Hicks following their 2-1 Champions League defeat at Besiktas.

Liverpool are bottom of their group and will probably need to win their last three games to progress any further.

"We back Rafa - he's the right manager," said Hicks.

"Rafa's rotation has been his policy for three years - his ability to coach and manage in the Champions League should be unquestioned."

video_text.gifInterview: Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks

Benitez guided Liverpool to the Champions League title three years ago and took them back to the final again last year.

But a draw in Porto followed by defeats to Marseille and Besiktas have left the Reds on just one point.

Wins in their last three matches - at home to Besiktas and Porto and away to Marseille - would almost certainly take Liverpool through, although it is possible that two wins and a draw would be enough.

o.gif

Liverpool are still unbeaten in the Premier League, but they have fallen six points behind the leaders Arsenal after drawing their last two home games.

Benitez's side host the Gunners on Sunday and Hicks remains upbeat.

"We're just not playing as good as we can right now. Obviously, Fernando Torres is injured, but hopefully he can play at the weekend," he told BBC Sport.

"We haven't lost yet and if we win on Sunday, we'll be within three points of Arsenal so that's the plan. I think we're doing OK."

Hicks and fellow American George Gillett took over Liverpool in March and have since revamped the club's plans for a new stadium.

They hope to get Liverpool City Council's approval at a meeting on 5 November.

Hicks admitted the projected cost had risen to "at least £400m".

But he added: "I'm so excited about the new stadium because we'll be able to go do things for the fans we've never been able to do for them." The stadium will have a capacity of 60,000 - 15,000 more than Anfield - when it opens but that could increase to 75,000 in the future.

I watched liverpool beat A.C.Milan in the Champions League, they were 3 - 0 down at half-time then through what I believe was pure PASSION from Stephen Gerrard they went on and won the game. I think you got it wrong Rafa and if you don't want him at Anfield, I'm sure S. A. F. would take him :o

I watched liverpool beat A.C.Milan in the Champions League, they were 3 - 0 down at half-time then through what I believe was pure PASSION from Stephen Gerrard they went on and won the game. I think you got it wrong Rafa and if you don't want him at Anfield, I'm sure S. A. F. would take him :D

Steven Gerrard was once quoted as saying :

" I would rather lose an arm than play for the scum "

I think he was talking about the mancs :o .

The result in Turkey was possibly a fatal one in our bid to progress in the CL

:D .

And yet, in the wake of what was obviously a wretched European result, I can't help but think ahead to this weekend’s match.

The Champions League is a huge competition but, for me, it seems to have lost some of its appeal as a potential Premier League title challenge becomes more of a reality. As I've said before , the premiership crown is the one we want this season

:D .

And it is becoming so. Whatever people are saying about our form, we can ( and will

:D ) cut Arsenal’s lead to just three points later this week.

Yes our last two performances haven't been of the standard which will be needed against the Gooners, despite being an improvement on preceding matches.But with Steven Gerrard now playing with passion ( hopefully Rafa lets him play 90 mis

:o ) , and the return of Xabi Alonso and Fernando Torres, the leaders could be brought quickly down to earth in three days time.

Roll on sunday

:bah::bah::D .

I watched liverpool beat A.C.Milan in the Champions League, they were 3 - 0 down at half-time then through what I believe was pure PASSION from Stephen Gerrard they went on and won the game. I think you got it wrong Rafa and if you don't want him at Anfield, I'm sure S. A. F. would take him :D

Steven Gerrard was once quoted as saying :

" I would rather lose an arm than play for the scum "

I think he was talking about the mancs :o .

he would lose more than that if he wanted to or not!!

Let's bloody hope so :o , we need him !!!!! :

Torres set for Anfield comeback

A85CF12A-9526-AF1A-A5E801357A6FA86A.jpg

FERNANDO Torres is set to give Liverpool a timely boost by declaring himself fit for Sunday’s visit of Premiership leaders Arsenal.

The Spanish striker has now fully recovered from the abductor muscle injury which kept him out of both the Merseyside derby and this week’s trip to Besiktas and is likely to be thrust straight back into Rafa Benitez’s starting line up.

Torres trained with the club’s reserve squad while the first team were in Istanbul and having come through those sessions with no ill effects he is expected to be named in the squad to face Arsenal later today.

Benitez said: “Torres has a chance of playing on Sunday. He has made progress this week and we will look at him in training to see if he is ready.”

Xabi Alonso’s remarkable comeback from a broken metatarsal in just five weeks was confirmed when he made the bench against Besiktas in midweek, but Benitez remains cautious about his prospects of starting the game against Arsenal.

He said: “When you have been out for four or five weeks you have to be very careful because you may not be as sharp as you usually are and if the game is quick – as it is likely to be against Arsenal – then it is always a risk.”

Daniel Agger will have to wait a little longer before returning, though, with the Danish defender another week away from full fitness.

Meanwhile, Harry Kewell’s hopes of a return to first team action were boosted when he played the first half of Liverpool reserves’ 2-1 victory over Newcastle United last night.

The Australian was taken off at half time – a move which was pre-determined by the club’s medical staff before the game as Liverpool try to manage his rehabilitation – having scored the opening goal and performed well following a two month lay off.

The Reds manager dismissed speculation in the national media that he has been given an ultimatum by the club’s American owners that he needs to win the Premiership title this year to keep his job.

He said: “I have not seen the papers but I find this kind of talk very strange, especially when you look at the big picture.

“The main managers need a lot of time to build a team to win the title and if every manager who spent money and did not win the title was sacked there would be lots of new managers every year.

“We have won titles in the last three years – the Champions League, the FA Cup and the Super Cup.”

It's a shame what's been happening to Peter Crouch lately :o .

He has only played 16 minutes of premiership football this season even though ( Torres the exception ) our strikers haven't been performing.

I think something must have happened behind the scenes and he will be saying good bye in January , though I do hope he starts against the gooners and repeats last years performance :D:D :

Fading memory of a hat-trick hero

THE last time Arsenal were at Anfield they were on the receiving end of a sparkling hat-trick.

There’s little chance of Peter Crouch repeating the trick on Sunday, however, because the closest he’s likely to get to the action is the substitutes’ bench.

That’s if he’s lucky.

Crouch has managed just 16 minutes of Premier League action at Anfield this season – and his fall from grace since shooting down the Gunners last March has been Lucifer-like.

It has also been one of the more baffling departures from the first team scene at Anfield.

Rafa Benitez insists he has no quarrel with Crouch.

“He’s a nice boy and he’s a good player,” he insists.

But his introduction into the fray on Wednesday night was almost grudging . . . after an evening when Liverpool had managed 26 efforts on goal without success.

They managed two more efforts after his introduction, and this time finally breached Besiktas’ goal.

But Crouch looked predictably rusty and wasted the kind of chance he was gobbling up six months ago.

If Crouch’s confidence is now in tatters, it’s hardly surprising.

He scored a goal for every 141 minutes of first team action he was called upon last season – a strike-rate of a goal every one-and-a-half games.

But he ended the campaign on the subs’ bench, and started it even further back in the Anfield pecking order.

Regardless of his manager’s public statements, privately something seems to have happened to their relationship.

Stubbornly supportive when his £7m signing endured an excruciating 18 games without a goal, including a missed penalty, that backing was ultimately repaid in the shape of seven goals in eight games and a who also became prolific on the international stage.

But something changed. Benitez suddenly lost faith in his centre-forward – and it never returned.

The visit of Arsenal on Sunday is a reminder of what Peter Crouch used to bring to the Reds forward line.

But it is a fast fading memory.

Scousemouse, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rafa's been making some odd decisions this year, Crouchy among them, is it a Latin thing, mid-life crisis or has he just lost the plot ?

A mix of all them :D:D .

But seriously , it all started once our assistant Pako Ayestaran left the club after a falling out with Benitez.

Our record with Pako was ......... P6 , W5 , D1 , L0.

Without Pako ........ P9 , W3 , D4 , L2.

He was a major influence on the training pitch. He kept in touch with the players a lot more than Benitez did. He knew exactly how close to 100 % fitness level our players were.

It just shows you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. Rafa has yet to find a new assistant manager and needs to find one sooner rather than later , remember when Fergie didn't have one for a season :o .

Yeah I can dig that - it's a fair evaluation - whilst I don't mind having a bit of mickey taking I actually like to see all teams playing to their full potential - to my mind it makes for a healthier competition. By having these discussions in this forum I guess one becomes aware of the problems other teams are having behind the scenes, I for one wasn't aware that Rafa was without a 2 I.C. Why Not ? What's the story there ?

Yeah I can dig that - it's a fair evaluation - whilst I don't mind having a bit of mickey taking I actually like to see all teams playing to their full potential - to my mind it makes for a healthier competition. By having these discussions in this forum I guess one becomes aware of the problems other teams are having behind the scenes, I for one wasn't aware that Rafa was without a 2 I.C. Why Not ? What's the story there ?

Rafa didn't like the fact that Pako and Jose Mourinho were good friends. He was worried that Pako would leave and join Chelsea , taking all Liverpool's training ground secrets with him.

That's why Rafa made sure there was a clause in Pako's leaving package that he couldn't join another premiership side this season. But then just a few weeks after Pako left Mourinho left :o .

To be fair to Pako he did say when he first joined that he was coming to help Benitez settle in and would stay for about 3 years and then move back to Spain.

A bit more on Pako :

"That form has coincided with the exit of Pako Ayesteran, the one member of the backroom staff with sufficient experience and knowledge of Benitez’s methods to be able to confidently query them.

While Jamie Carragher last week dismissed the idea Ayesteran’s departure has affected form, perhaps other squad members are missing the buffer the assistant manager provided between the manager and the players.

With Ayesteran gone, Benitez is now seemingly intent on proving he can do things by himself. The Spaniard has always had his idiosyncrasies, but the stubborn streak that is so often the strength of every great manager is in danger of becoming his biggest weakness"

It looks like the new gaff is going to be " peng mark :D ". You only get what you pay for eh :o :

New Anfield stadium costs soar

_44018654_newliverpool_se_view203.jpg

The projected cost of building Liverpool Football Club's new stadium has rocketed to "at least £400m".

The news of the £150m hike comes from the club's co-owner Tom Hicks, who together with fellow American George Gillett took over the club in March.

The Stanley Park stadium will have a capacity of 60,000 - 15,000 more than Anfield - when it opens, but that could increase to 75,000 in the future.

Plans go before planners at the city council on 5 November.

Mr Hicks said he was not worried about the radically revised figures: "I'm so excited about the new stadium because we'll be able to go do things for the fans we've never been able to do for them. "Our fans are wonderful and over time we'll be able to give them the amenities, comfort and ease of getting tickets they have never had before."

I hope this doesn't mean Steven Gerrard will be playing on the right of midfield :o :

Pennant ruled out for two months

Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant requires surgery on a stress fracture of his right shin and is expected to be out for 10 weeks.

The winger limped out of the Reds' Champions League defeat at Besiktas on Wednesday after carrying a problem for most of the season.

Club spokesman Ian Cotton said: "For the last eight weeks Jermaine has undergone intensive treatment.

"But it has now been decided he requires surgery."

o.gif

Liverpool signed Pennant from Birmingham in a £6.7m deal in July 2006. On Wednesday he came off in the 59th minute of the 2-1 Champions League group stage defeat in Turkey

OK Scousemouse after last nights Utd win I'm looking for a nice little 1 - 1 draw from your mob against the "Ar*e" (Sorry Mig16) !

So see what you can do when you're having a quiet chat to Bhudda or whoever it is upstairs that organises these things. :o

Some stats ahead of tonight's vital game for the reds and Rafa :o :

_44188030_liv_ars_0506.gif

Anfield

Sunday, 28 October

Kick-off: 1600 GMT

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

Fernando Torres is set to return for Liverpool and Xabi Alonso could start, but Alvaro Arbeloa (thigh) is doubtful.

Striker Torres is fit again following a thigh injury, while midfielder Alonso was in the squad to face Besiktas after a foot problem but did not come on.

Arsenal will be without Philippe Senderos and Robin van Persie. Senderos has a back injury and Van Persie will be out for at least a month with a knee problem. Manuel Almunia is expected to keep his place in goal.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Arbeloa, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Babel, Benayoun, Crouch, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin, Itandje, Lucas, Hobbs.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Lehmann, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Hleb, Fabregas, Flamini, Diaby, Adebayor, Eduardo, Eboue, Walcott, Gilberto, Rosicky, Bendtner, Denilson.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez:

"When you have had a few problems, the motivation of the side to change the situation is strong.

"The only way is to work, and work hard. That is the way to handle this sort of pressure.

"As a manager you must keep going, doing the right things. You know that will change things for the better."

<LI>Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger:

"At the start of the year, people said our young team would not go far.

"But now they are saying we have to prove ourselves against the big teams.

"I feel we have the confidence and the belief now. I thought we were good enough to do this well, but then I am crazy enough to believe that."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

This is the third of the so-called "Big Four" meetings of the season; Arsenal's first, and Liverpool's second following their 1-1 home draw with Chelsea.

It brings together the two remaining unbeaten clubs in the Premier League, who had contrasting fortunes in the Champions league midweek.

Should the 167th league meeting of these giants end all square, it would be the 1,000th draw in Liverpool's league history.

The Gunners are bidding for a 13th straight win in all competitions, and an eighth on the bounce in the Premier League. Their tally of 25 points after nine games is on a par with 2004-05 when they finished runners-up. It is better than at this same stage in 2003-04 (23 points), 2001-02 (18) and 1997-98 (19), when they went on to win the title on all three occasions.

Liverpool have conceded more penalties in Premier League competition than any other club this season (three); Arsenal have won more than anyone else (four), but only three have been converted.

These clubs met four times last season, and the winners netted at least three goals in each of the games, including Liverpool's 4-1 victory in this corresponding fixture in March, when Peter Crouch bagged a hat-trick.

CLUB FORM

LIVERPOOL

Club stats Fixtures (all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Unbeaten in 10 Premier League matches. Won five and drawn five since losing 1-0, away to Fulham on 5 May.

2. Completed 35 league games since a defeat by more than a single goal; that being 3-0, away to Arsenal on 12 November 2006.

3. The current tally of 19 points after nine games is their best return to this stage of a Premier League season since 2002-03, when they had 21 points at this same stage and went on to finish fifth. But a higher finish has been attained in three of the four subsequent seasons, after inferior starts.

4. Conceded the opening goal in only one league game this season (v Everton in the Merseyside derby at Goodison - their most recent league outing).

5. Conceded just five Premier League goals; one every 162 minutes (two hours 42 minutes) on average.

6. Let in just two Premier League goals in the first half. Only Manchester United can match that.

7. The highest placed of the seven clubs with just one home win in this Premier League campaign.

8. This is the second of six matches in 18 days, in a schedule that includes league fixtures away to Blackburn and home to Fulham.

ARSENAL

Club stats Fixtures (all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Won their last 12 in all competitions, eclipsing the 11-match winning conclusion to the 2001-02 season. But that sequence continued into 2002-03 with victory in the first two matches, making a combined total of 13 successive victories.

2. Won the last seven Premier League matches, failing to drop a point since the 1-1 draw, away to Blackburn on 19 August.

3. It is their longest winning league sequence since nine on the bounce were recorded between 10 January and 20 March 2004. (The club record is 14, registered between February and August 2002).

4. Unbeaten in 16 league outings; won 11 and drawn five since the 0-1 home loss to West Ham on 7 April. It's their longest undefeated league run since the club record sequence of 49 ended this week three years ago (24 October 2004).

5. Won more Premier League matches this season than any other club (eight) and dropped fewer points (two).

6. Boasting the strongest attack in the highest league with 21 goals scored in nine outings, which averages at one every 39 minutes.

7. The only club to have scored in every Premier League game in the division this season.

8. This is the second of a hectic programme of six games in 21 days. The schedule includes a home fixture with Manchester United and a trip to Reading in the league, a Carling Cup tie away to Sheffield United and a visit to Slavia Prague in the Champions League.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

LIVERPOOL

Peter CROUCH has scored four Premier League goals against Arsenal; his hat-trick for Liverpool last season, and one when wearing Southampton colours. He has not scored a higher total against any other club.

Fernando TORRES is Liverpool's top scorer with seven goals, and top Premier League marksman, with four.

Goalkeeper Jose REINA is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Liverpool's Premier League matches this season.

If selected:-

Steven GERRARD will be making his 400th club appearance - all for Liverpool.

Jermaine PENNANT will be facing a former club. The 24 year old midfielder made 26 appearances (12 in the league) and scored three league goals for Arsenal between January 1999 and July 2005.

Steve FINNAN will be making his 100th career Premier League appearance (Fulham and Liverpool).

If on the field from the outset:-

FINNAN will be making his 400th club career start (Birmingham, Notts County, Fulham and Liverpool).

ARSENAL

Cesc FABREGAS is Arsenal's top scorer with nine goals.

Emmanuel ADEBAYOR is the clubs top Premier League marksmen with six.

Arsenal have never lost when ADEBAYOR has scored; winning 16 and drawing two of the 18 matches in which he's netted.

Only Gael CLICHY and Kolo TOURE have been on the field for every minute of every one of Arsenal's Premier League matches this season.

If selected:-

ADEBAYOR will be making his 50th Premier League appearance in Arsenal colours.

HEAD TO HEAD

On each of the last seven occasions when Liverpool and Arsenal have met in the Premier League either at Anfield or in north London, the club playing at home has won.

Liverpool, who were beaten by the Gunners at the Emirates in the league and knocked out of the FA and Carling Cups by them last season, are chasing a fourth successive Premier League maximum over Wenger's men on home soil.

A total of 21 goals were scored in last season's four league and cup meetings between these clubs; Liverpool scored eight, Arsenal 13.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Liverpool 68 wins, Arsenal 58, Draws 40

Prem: Liverpool 14 wins, Arsenal 9, Draws 7 at Liverpool only

League (inc PL): Liverpool 48 wins, Arsenal 21, Draws 14

Prem: Liverpool 9 wins, Arsenal 3, Draws 3

I thought they were loaded :o:D :

LIVERPOOL face being plunged into a shocking £500m DEBT by the club's American owners. A massive £698m refinancing plan is being finalised, which threatens to break George Gillett (right) and Tom Hicks' promise NOT to ‘do a Malcolm Glazer'.

The new package will pay off the original £298m Royal Bank of Scotland loan — used by the Americans to buy the Merseyside club in March — and meet the escalating costs of the Reds' new £400m stadium.

Liverpool are in negotiations with US bank Wachovia and Hicks confirmed: "The new financing deal will be completed in the next 30 days."

The Reds are hoping to recoup £100m from stadium naming rights, £20m from a European Community Grant and a further £80m from other sources.

But it would still leave the club around £500m in debt and Liverpool fans are worried the American owners are now securing loans against the club's assets rather than their personal fortune.

It would also mean Champions League football was essential to finance the increased debt.

A spokesman for the Official Liverpool Supporters Club said: "It would be very worrying if this amount of debt is to be put on the club.

So far, we've been impressed by everything Hicks and Gillett have done so I hope if they are planning this course of action they will give the fans a full explanation."

When Gillett arrived at Liverpool, he insisted the club would not be taking on any debt as a consequence of the takeover, in stark contrast to Glazer's Manchester United buy-out, which saddled the Old Trafford giants with a £660m debt.

Any shift from this policy would conflict with verbal understandings made to the previous Anfield board and shareholders. Although nothing has yet been signed, Anfield sources fear the decision has now been taken to saddle the debts on the club.

That means the owners could walk out without being personally liable for any existing repayments.

Half time :

Liverpool 1-0 Arsenal

Have to say Arsenal have had the better of the first half .

A Steven Gerrard free kick has put us in the lead and has been our only chance so far.

Torres is still carrying a thigh injury and as the half was drawing to a close was getting ready to be replaced by Crouch , question being should he have started in the first place :o:D .

Fingers crossed for the second half :D , but we have to play better if we want to win this game.

truevisions are a disgrace. the game is 3-4 seconds out of sync.

c'mon you mighty red men!!!

I know :o , that's why I've been watching it with the thai commentary on .

Turdsak, Somchai, Sparky, The Raging Flame have a lot to answear for.

Turdvisions really suck.

i dont know how to feel really. a draw against the best side in the premiership or 2 points lost!!

difficult times at anfield, but still unbeaten in the league. it could be worse

*edit*

why did the lads have sky commentary at home, and we end up with that &lt;deleted&gt; disgrace that was heard tonight. who was that beaut anyways?

true visions your a disgrace. i feel like cancelling my subscription and going back to the bars. &lt;deleted&gt;!! cant something be done about this?

Archived