Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I reckon Sami Hyppia's time in the first team squad has come to an end :D and Rafa needs to make a world class centre back his top priority in January.

As were seeing , if either Agger or Carragher get injured then we look very shaky at the back.

<deleted> fergie , now we all know why he wouldnt let us have Heinze :D:D ........ shrewd scott :o .

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this weekend will be interesting, tif the blue <deleted> beat us, then things could start getting a bit ugly regarding Rafa. the forums are split 50/50 if he should stay or go allready.

trust us to be in a slump when we have to go to woodison :o

function newPrintableWindow(objectid,path) { popUpWindow = window.open(path+'?objectid='+objectid+'&siteid=50061', 'Article', 'width=450,height=500,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,men

bar=yes'); popUpWindow.focus(); }

Benitez: Defensive errors were ‘unbelievable’ too right :o

ANGRY Rafael Benitez slammed the “unbelievable” defensive mistakes he believes cost Liverpool victory over Tottenham Hotspur yesterday.

The Anfield side needed an injury-time header from Fernando Torres to maintain their unbeaten league record and secure a point from an absorbing 2-2 draw against the Londoners.

Andriy Voronin had given Liverpool the lead in the 12th minute by capitalising on a mistake by Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

But two goals in three minutes either side of half-time from Robbie Keane appeared to have earned Tottenham only their sixth-ever win at Anfield before Torres struck.

Both Keane efforts came after Liverpool had failed to defend a Dimitar Berbatov flick-on from a long punt upfield by Robinson, and Benitez was fuming at his team’s defending.

function newPrintableWindow(objectid,path) { popUpWindow = window.open(path+'?objectid='+objectid+'&siteid=50061', 'Article', 'width=450,height=500,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,men

bar=yes'); popUpWindow.focus(); }

Benitez: Defensive errors were ‘unbelievable’ Oct 8 2007

by Ian Doyle, Liverpool Daily Post

ANGRY Rafael Benitez slammed the “unbelievable” defensive mistakes he believes cost Liverpool victory over Tottenham Hotspur yesterday.

The Anfield side needed an injury-time header from Fernando Torres to maintain their unbeaten league record and secure a point from an absorbing 2-2 draw against the Londoners.

Andriy Voronin had given Liverpool the lead in the 12th minute by capitalising on a mistake by Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson.

But two goals in three minutes either side of half-time from Robbie Keane appeared to have earned Tottenham only their sixth-ever win at Anfield before Torres struck.

Both Keane efforts came after Liverpool had failed to defend a Dimitar Berbatov flick-on from a long punt upfield by Robinson, and Benitez was fuming at his team’s defending.

http://' target="_blank">

“I cannot say too much now,” said the Spaniard. “It was so clear. Two mistakes changed the game. It was unbelievable.

“In the first half, we could have scored two or three goals and maybe the game would have been over.

“Now we need to explain why we conceded two goals like that and why we could not score the second or third goal in the first half.

“If you analyse both goals, it is difficult to explain. They were both so easy to defend against and we’ll watch the two goals for a long time to try and explain why.”

Keane’s first on the stroke of half-time was the first Premier League goal Liverpool had conceded in 523 minutes and first from open play this season.

The Anfield outfit remain in the top four but lost ground on main title rivals Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea over the weekend.

And Benitez admitted the absence of Daniel Agger is placing a strain on Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia, the only available senior centre-backs.

“We haven’t been conceding goals, and it was not normal for us to concede, especially those kind of goals,” said the Liverpool manager.

“But it’s clear that they (Carragher and Hyypia) are playing a lot of games in a row.”

Voronin’s strike was his fourth of the season while club record signing Torres now has seven goals in nine starts.

And Benitez added: “In the first half we were really good. We had chances and we were better than Tottenham. I always say when you are 1-0 up and you have good chances you have to take them. But the game changed because we conceded two goals that we would not normally concede.”

this weekend will be interesting, tif the blue <deleted> beat us, then things could start getting a bit ugly regarding Rafa. the forums are split 50/50 if he should stay or go allready.

Hopefully,the international break wil give rafa time to reflect on what has been a very poor last 4 weeks for us,only a win will do against the mongs.

People calling for him to go obviously aren't real fans,probably wools,daytrippers,jester hat brigade whoppers.

PST.

trust us to be in a slump when we have to go to woodison :D

Hopefully,the international break wil give rafa time to reflect on what has been a very poor last 4 weeks for us,only a win will do against the mongs.

People calling for him to go obviously aren't real fans,probably wools,daytrippers,jester hat brigade whoppers.

PST.

Sawadee cap PST , yes the game away to the bluesh#te will be massive :D c'mon :D .

Followed by Arsenal the week after at home , Rafa has a lot to think about over his starting 11 during the international break , those 2 games will have a huge bearing on how our season is going to be.

I've just finished watching football focus on ESPN and after having his usual rant and moan at Rafa and his rotation policy , Steve McMahon also brought up the point about how our slump in form has coincided with Rafa's number 2 Paco Ayestaran leaving the club , more than just coincidence ??? :o:D

fingers crossed :o :

Fernando Torres will play despite injury scare

16CA5D27-E650-EFB7-AB3517D7EB0DE3B5.jpg

FERNANDO TORRES is set to make a swift recovery from the injury scare he suffered on international duty.

Liverpool’s seven-goal top scorer sat out training with the Spanish national team yesterday with a knock to his left ankle, and opted for gym work instead.

He is expected to be fit for Spain’s Euro 2008 qualifier in Denmark on Saturday but will be re-assessed for their friendly in Finland on the following Wednesday.

And Rafael Benitez now faces an anxious wait to see if Torres aggravates the ankle twinge with the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park looming a week on Saturday.

The Liverpool manager has already voiced his frustration at having to sit and wait for his players to return from interna-tional duty next week.

Apart from the usual concerns over injuries being picked up in combat for their countries, Benitez is also ruing the lack of training ground time he will get with his players in a bid to address the problems that have blighted their promising start to the season.

Liverpool followed their defeat to Marseille in last week’s Champions League group game with an unconvincing 2-2 draw at home to Spurs when they resumed their league campaign on Sunday.

Fernando Torres’s injury-time header salvaged a point which maintained Liverpool’s unbeaten record in the Premier League but Benitez is irritated with the timing of this latest two-week break.

He said: “Is it a nightmare? Yes it is a bit.

“In the last international break we were top of the league, now we are saying maybe the break is good for us.

“But we cannot train with the players, we cannot control what they are doing, we just have to cross our fingers and wait.

“It’s difficult when you have a lot of players away.

“You cannot control them, then you have important games and maybe you will have problems.

“We cannot do much. The players left behind trained with the reserves and they played head-tennis.”

I dont think we'll get as much for Crouch in January than if we had sold him in the summer :o

Get well soon Dirk Kuyt :D :

Liverpool eye Brazilian star Afonso Alves

8905DB82-09CC-9CE6-274B2209290964A6.jpg

RAFAEL BENITEZ is tracking Brazilian striker Afonso Alves as he contemplates another spending spree in the January transfer window.

Alves is one of several names under consideration by the Liverpool manager, who can expect further backing from the club’s co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

And Benitez’s interest would suggest Peter Crouch is heading for an Anfield exit in the new year.

Alves is one of the most sought-after forwards in Europe and scored an incredible seven times for Dutch club Heerenveen on Sunday in their 9-0 victory over Eredivisie rivals Heracles Almelo.

Story continues arw_down.gif

ADVERTISEMENTempty.gif http://' target="_blank">

The 26-year-old forward cost Heerenveen a club record £3million when arriving from Malmo ahead of last season, and went on to score 34 goals in 31 league games before being named Holland’s player of the year.

Alves, who has seven caps for Brazil, was a target for Middlesbrough during the close season and would cost in the region of £8m.

Benitez is also thought to still be keeping tabs on another Brazilian, Roma’s stepover king Alessandro Mancini.

The Liverpool manager ruled out a move for the left winger during the summer, but is aware Mancini has fallen out with Roma coach Luciano Spalletti and is reportedly seeking a move in January.

Lyon are favourites to sign the player but Liverpool would be able to offer a better package to the 27-year-old.

PSG defender Bernard Mendy is another player on Benitez’s list of possibilities. The 26-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and would be available in January for a small fee.

Mendy, who spent the 2002-03 campaign on loan at Bolton Wanderers, operates on the right side of defence.

Meanwhile, Dirk Kuyt has handed Liverpool an early derby injury scare after pulling out of Holland’s squad for their forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Romania and Slovenia.

Kuyt has remained at Melwood to undergo treatment on a hamstring strain suffered during the 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

The Dutch striker will definitely miss Saturday’s away game against Romania.

But while Holland have not ruled the forward out of the home game with Slovenia the following Wednesday, it is thought unlikely Kuyt will have recovered in time to play.

a bit of gossip , and I hope all rumours are true :o :

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will try to sign Jens Lehmann from Arsenal for £1m in the January transfer window.

Eriksson, meanwhile, will be able to buy Peter Crouch for £8m from Liverpool in the January transfer window. (Daily Mail)

Javier Mascherano has attempted to end speculation over his future by declaring he wants to sign a long-term deal with Liverpool.

Gareth Barry - and not Frank Lampard - will partner Steven Gerrard in the centre of England's midfield against Estonia on Saturday. (Various)

Nice to see Gay Ablett as manager of our reserve team , for ever a legend on the streets and in the night clubs of Liverpool for reasons other than football !!!!! ( only the real scousers will get that one :o ).

Man United Res 1, Liverpool Res 1 Oct 12 2007

Liverpool Daily Post

LIVERPOOL RESERVES dominated the game, but had to settle for a 1-1 draw at Manchester United last night in the Barclays FA Premier Reserve League North.

The outstanding Jay Spearing gave Gary Ablett’s side a well-deserved lead after 34 minutes, when he finished well after Lucas Leiva had cleverly laid Sebastian Leto’s cross into his path.

Leto led the United defence a merry dance at times, and was harshly booked for diving when he was blatantly tripped in the penalty area. Spearing almost added a second just before the break, but his rasping drive was turned over the bar at full stretch by United keeper Zieler.

Spearing was denied by the keeper again after the break, while Leto wasted a good chance when he shot wildly over the bar.

United equalised with their first serious attack of the half when Lee headed in a Barnes cross with eight minutes remaining.

Goalkeeper Charles Itandje then saved well from Barnes, before Liverpool rallied again and almost regained the lead through Jack Hobbs, his header rolling across the face of goal and just eluding the in rushing Mikel San Jose Dominguez.

Deep into stoppage time Lucas almost won it for Liverpool when he rose well to meet another great Leto cross, but his header struck the inside of the post.

MANCHESTER UNITED RESERVES: Zieler, Gray, Eckersley A, Eckersley R, Chester, Lee, Cleveley (Drinkwater 72), Hewson, Dong, Fagan (Wellbeck 62), Barnes.

LIVERPOOL RESERVES: Itandje, Darby, Insua, San Jose, Hobbs, Plessis (Flynn 78), Putterill (Crowther 62), Spearing, Brouwer (Lindfield 75), Lucas, Leto.

Some top words from some top players , plus a few legends regarding the boy Torres :o .

What they say about Fernando Torres Oct 12 2007

Liverpool Echo

Steven Gerrard

"He reminds me a bit of Ian Rush. I know Rush was a great striker, and I don't want to put much pressure on Fernando as far as goals are concerned. But Rushy got a lot of credit for working hard for the team, tracking back and not giving defenders a minute on the ball, and he's similar in a lot ways.

"There's a lot of pressure on his shoulders, and as captain of the team I don't want to put any more on him.

"But if we keep on delivering good through balls and give him good service, he has shown so far that he's a good finisher. I'm sure he'll hit his own personal targets."

Ian Rush

"I'm hoping he will be the new Ian Rush and I'm sure every Liverpool supporter is hoping the same.

"What I have seen so far is that he can cope with the physical side and the pace of the English game which for a foreign player, shows what a bright future he will have here. He can only get better.

"I am reminded a lot of myself when I see Fernando play, with his pace, movement and awareness around him.

"The team is starting to look like it should have the in-form Torres starting every game and with the other strikers fighting for the right to partner him. Maybe with him in the team this could be our year."

Raul

"He was an icon at Atletico Madrid and had to make a personal decision, one that I respect. There is a different air to him now, and it looks like he is enjoying the experience.

"I watched his debut against Aston Villa on television, and I also saw his great goal against Chelsea.

"There can be no doubt that he has taken an important step in the right direction. He gave a lot to Atletico Madrid, and this is a new challenge, although I am sure that he will triumph.

"With a good coach like Rafa Benitez, and with the help of his Spanish team-mates, the process of adaptation will be easier. There is no doubt that he will do well."

Kenny Dalglish

"I was off my seat when he stood up to Terry in the first half as the defender was screaming in his face. That's what you want to see from your players - he wasn't aggressive or annoyed, he just showed Terry he wasn't bothered by what he did.

"He refused to be intimidated but made sure he kept his hands by his sides. There's not many people who disturb John Terry's calm but Torres did it inside the first 10 minutes.

"I was delighted for him when he scored. The way the boy anticipated what Stevie was going to do with the ball, and then the clever way he stopped and then started tells you he's going to be a star.

"Just about every central defender in the country will be nervous about facing him."

An interview from Torres , it seems as though he's settled in well. The only drawback he says is the weather :o :

The Fernando Torres Story: Trophies are my target

FERNANDO TORRES' move to Anfield was about one thing – winning trophies.

His love affair with Atletico Madrid ultimately wasn't enough to satisfy him as a footballer, but he's walked away with the single desire of becoming the best he can be.

The list of clubs competing for his signature read like a who’s who of European giants in the summer, but once he resigned himself to leaving the Vicente Calderon he had eyes for only one team.

Torres chose Liverpool in spite of several bigger offers, including a monster one from Inter Milan.

“My choice was not down to money. This is a personal challenge,” said the striker, who reportedly took a pay cut to join Rafa Benitez’s Anfield revolution.

“I have signed for six seasons and my desire is to play here for the six.

“Liverpool have great players and I'm happy to be around them. The more goals I can score, the better.”

But he admits that leaving Madrid was the toughest decision of his life.

The striker was shocked by the emotional reactions he received when leaving Atletico, when fans protested outside the stadium the day his move to Liverpool was confirmed.

“People were crying. It was a bit of a shock that I was so important to them,” Torres says.

“It was a hard and difficult moment, but the decision had been made. Those people that I'd seen crying were the very same ones that sent me calls and messages of support.

“It's a happiness for me, personally, as it's unusual for Spanish supporters to act like that.”

At his departing press conference, he said: “There comes a moment in your sporting life when you have to look for new challenges and this was it.

“The decision was mine. We received the offer and I asked the club to listen to it.

“It was difficult to leave, but I couldn't reject the Liverpool offer . . . It was a unique opportunity.”

On Liverpool, he added: “They have become a major force again in Europe in recent years and I want to add something new to the club. They were the team I wanted to play for.

“Liverpool have shown confidence in me and I hope to be at the same level as some of the legendary players that have worn the shirt.

“Rafa Benitez has given me the chance of taking a step forward in my career and I want to return his faith with goals.”

That legendary Liverpool shirt, of course, was then made extra special when Torres was given the No. 9, handed down from the departing Robbie Fowler and originally made famous by Ian Rush.

It is a factor not wasted on the young Spaniard.

He recalls: “When the transfer went through I asked for it. I knew that Fowler was leaving and the number was available and Rafa said ‘yes’.

“He asked me if I knew what it meant to wear that number here and if I wanted it I could have it.”

Torres reveals that the stresses and strains of carrying Atleti for years has been lifted from his shoulders since moving to Anfield.

It’s given him time and space to settle and, most importantly, hit the back of the net.

“The past few years at Atleti have been somewhat difficult at times; there’s been a lot of pressure on me,” he admits.

“While I was there I didn’t feel it or didn’t realise it because I was focused on pulling forward for the team. But the change of scenery has done me a lot of good.

“Liverpool is a great club and the pressure is shared among all the players. The way the team works allows you to grow more as a player and if the results are going our way then everything is a lot easier.

“I’m very happy and now that I can look back at the last few years I notice that is very difficult to improve – to have a good time when you’re carrying all the weight of the team on your shoulders.”

He continues: “I have only lost one game so far playing for Liverpool. That is the major difference. Here, you grow used to winning. It becomes second nature, and I had forgotten what it felt like.

“Liverpool, though, have gone 18 years without winning the Premier League, and this year the Premiership title is one of the main objectives.

“Following our positive start, I feel that we are in with a shout. We currently find ourselves in a good position in a league which in recent history has been dominated by Chelsea and Manchester United.”

So what about his early opinions of the Kop.

“On the football side it’s amazing. It’s a great club in every sense of the word, where you’re never missing anything.

“The atmosphere in the stadium is fantastic. I had never seen anything like it before in Spain.

“And away from the stadium the fans are great, too. They’re very respectful. They know when to approach you, they don’t come over when you’re having a meal or when you’re spending time with your family.

“They will usually wait until you’re done eating dinner, even if they have to wait a long time, or if you’re in the training ground and they want an autograph.

“It’s different from Spain. They know how to separate the personal life from life at the training ground. There are always exceptions, but in general that’s how they behave.

“Liverpool fans are very enthusiastic but they might only say ‘come on’ and that’s it, they don’t get on top of you or start following you.”

However, the striker admits that the move to England hasn’t all been plain sailing.

And I would definitely watch your wing mirrors around Melwood as Torres admits that driving on the ‘wrong’ side of the road is taking a little getting used to.

He laughs: “Xabi warned me to be careful the first few days.

“It’s very tense at first when you’re trying to get used to the new way of driving at every intersection.

“I’m okay with roundabouts, surprisingly, but the intersections are more confusing because I don’t know where the cars are coming from, or if they’re turning right or left, or where I’m supposed to turn to.

“As for living in Liverpool, so far it’s been good.

“It’s a small city, but there’s a bit of everything, good restaurants, good shopping centres, and nice places to go for a walk. The only drawback is the weather!”

I thought this anus had left :D , probably doesnt want people to forget him so has to come out with moronic quotes so he can get his name in the tabloids :o :

Jose Mourinho believes Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez will be a failure if he doesn't win Premier League this season. (News of the World)

Hey Scousemouse did I read something somewhere that Torres picked up an injury during preparations for Euro comitments, and if so will he be right for the clash with your blue neighbours ? I must admit the boy has talent which is more than can be said for Crouch.

Also is my little Aussie mate Harry Kewell anywhere near ready to return ?

Hey Scousemouse did I read something somewhere that Torres picked up an injury during preparations for Euro comitments, and if so will he be right for the clash with your blue neighbours ? I must admit the boy has talent which is more than can be said for Crouch.

Also is my little Aussie mate Harry Kewell anywhere near ready to return ?

Hey Ken , Torres did pull up with an injury in training for Spain and missed their game on saturday.

It sounds like he has got a good chance :D hough to be fit on saturday for the game against the bluesh#te , fingers crossed 'case were going to need him :D .

As for the enigma that is Kewell , he is in one of his " I'm fully fit and just want to show the Liverpool fans the real me :o " stages. Thing is we have been having a few problems on the left side and I wouldnt be suprised to see him start against Everton. We all know that he is just trying to put himself in the shop window ( like his mate Viduka ) as he can sign for another club for free on a bosman in January.

[

As for the enigma that is Kewell , he is in one of his " I'm fully fit and just want to show the Liverpool fans the real me :D " stages. Thing is we have been having a few problems on the left side and I wouldnt be suprised to see him start against Everton. We all know that he is just trying to put himself in the shop window ( like his mate Viduka ) as he can sign for another club for free on a bosman in January.

So do you suggest I alert the lower league boys in their thread ?

Crouch & Kewell available

that's the long & the short of it, isn't it ? :o

Maybe not as bad as first thought ( fingers crossed ) , and farewell Pako :o :

Fernando Torres injury may not be as bad as first feared

16C950A2-C9A7-74D8-BA26C2316B6AE512.jpg

LIVERPOOL have eased fears that Fernando Torres could miss the most crucial week of their season so far.

The Reds striker tore a thigh muscle in training with Spain on Friday, and missed their 3-1 win in Denmark the next day.

Spanish physio Genaro Borras initially cited his recovery period as “eight to 10 days,” but Melwood staff are hopeful he will be available for a week which includes a Merseyside derby, a crucial Champions League clash in Istanbul and then the visit of title rivals Arsenal to Anfield.

Torres’ injury was analysed this morning and the player will begin a period of intensive treatment.

With fellow striker Dirk Kuyt also receiving treatment for a minor hamstring strain, Torres’ injury is a headache Benitez could do without.

Ryan Babel, meanwhile, will be hoping to win over Dutch coach Marco van Basten this week after missing Saturday’s defeat by Romania because he overslept.

The Reds winger was left out of the starting line-up as a punishment, after twice missing team meetings.

Van Basten explained: “It was the second time that Babel overslept on a match day. That should never happen.

“That’s why I left him out of the team. Robben trained hard and he is fit, so he played instead. It is very well possible that Babel feels disappointed. It is also not my style to handle these kinds of things this way. But we also expect that players obey rules during a match.

“The first time that he arrived too late, he settled the matter with a joke.

“The second time he joined us too late for the meal and that was a bit too much. He has to appear on time, just like all the others.”

Babel, 20, came into the match in the 78th minute as substitute for Robben but could not prevent the Dutch from losing 1-0 to Romania in a clash between the two Group G leaders.

The Reds, meanwhile, have confirmed assistant manager Pako Ayesteran’s departure from the club, but effectively ensured he cannot work for any of their rivals by keeping him under contract until next June.

A statement issued by chief executive Rick Parry said: “Following discussions between Rafael Benitez and Pako Ayestaran, it has been agreed that it would be in the best interests of all parties if Pako leaves his post as assistant manager. Pako, however, will remain under contract to us until next summer.

“The club thank Pako for his hard work and contribution to our success over the past three years.”

"Ryan Babel, meanwhile, will be hoping to win over Dutch coach Marco van Basten this week after missing Saturday’s defeat by Romania because he overslept."

Love This One Scousemouse,

Can you imagine Bob Paisley's reaction if he had done that at L'Pool in his days.

The Mind Boggles :D:o

"Ryan Babel, meanwhile, will be hoping to win over Dutch coach Marco van Basten this week after missing Saturday’s defeat by Romania because he overslept."

Love This One Scousemouse,

Can you imagine Bob Paisley's reaction if he had done that at L'Pool in his days.

The Mind Boggles :D:o

At least he hadn't, "forgoten his boots because the dog ate them."

youll be calling for c_nts face head. when we knock another 3 past you on saturday (in rafa we trust) typical kopite, red <deleted>. peoples club rule, okay la.

youll be calling for c_nts face head. when we knock another 3 past you on saturday (in rafa we trust) typical kopite, red <deleted>. peoples club rule, okay la.

I still can't decipher the waffle you post true blue , I thought the blue sh#te fans were supposed to have a great sense of humour and all that , after all supporting them you got to have something because you've won <deleted> all :D .

I was supposed to be in Chiang mai this weekend doing a bit of well paid work but when I agreed to it a fortnight ago I didn't know that the derby would be on so early. Suffice to say I cancelled my work appointment , football comes first ( especially the derby !! ).

A report on those lucky , unsuspecting lads who could be making their derby debuts :

The ten derby day debutants Oct 17 2007

206th Merseyside Derby

by Dominic King & David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

TEN players could make their derby debuts at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Will they freeze in the intense Mersey derby atmosphere? Or will they be inspired by the experience?

We analyse the derby day performances of Merseyside’s 10 potential derby debutants.

FERNANDO TORRES

EL NINO was Atletico’s talisman, but he never enjoyed the best of fortunes in El Derbi Madrileño.

He scored his first ever competitive goal against Real in February this year - just months before he left Spain - but even then it wasn’t enough to guide Atletico to victory, 10-man Real escaping with a draw.

But Torres will certainly know what kind of atmosphere to expect at Goodison on Saturday, with the Madrid derby one of the most intense in European football.

Historically, Real Madrid have long been seen as the establishment club; the puppets of General Franco, led by hardline conservative Santiago Bernabeu and aided by the government.

The stadium which carries Bernabeu’s name is majestic alongside banks and businesses on the classy Castellana, while Atletico’s Calderon can be found beside a brewery.

Real Madrid draw greater support in and out of the capital, while Atletico gain the majority of its fans from the passionate working-class area south of the city.

Torres never won a derby match during his time in Madrid - and it is a record he will be keen to put right on Merseyside.

ANDRIY VORONIN

VORONIN played all of his top flight football in Germany prior to his switch to England - and his last three clubs are all derby rivals!

Borussia Moenchengladbach, FC Koln and Bayer Leverkusen are all local rivals in the Cologne region of Germany.

Strictly speaking, little Fortuna Cologne provide FC Cologne’s genuine true derby rivalry, but as both clubs rarely spent time in the same division, Bayer Leverkusen - just a 10-minute train ride to the north-west, are perceived as Koln’s local rivals.

There is also a strong traditional rivalry with Moenchengladbach, just a short journey away.

The Bundesliga regularly attracts 60 and 70,000 attendances so the intense derby day atmosphere will be no problem for Voronin.

YOSSI BENAYOUN

THE Israeli international returned to Merseyside early this week to prepare for Saturday’s derby.

Benayoun made 130 appearances for Maccabi Haifa, and faced derby rivals Hapoel and Maccabi Tel Aviv several times.

Israeli rivalries are partisan with pyrotechnics lighting up their matches.

Goodison Park on an October lunchtime will probably seem infinitely less colourful.

ALVARO ARBELOA

THE Spanish defender is a cool, unruffled defender - and having sampled the intensity of a Madrid derby will have no fears about stepping out at Goodison on Saturday, especially as Fernando Torres will be on his side this time!

"I have played against Fernando three times, two for Real Madrid and one for Deportivo," he explained "and I have won two and the other was a draw.

"But I think Fernando never had much luck against Real.

"For a defender, if you are playing against Fernando you have a big problem!

"Fernando has the perfect characteristics for the Premier League and I think he will score more goals here than in Spain.

"He is very, very strong. He is a fighter. He has confidence and he is scoring goals already.

"That is very important for him . . . and for us."

RYAN BABEL

THE most important rivalry in Holland is between Babel’s former club Ajax, and Feyenoord of Rotterdam.

The clash is known as De Klassieker (The Classic) and last February Ajax stormed to a 4-1 defeat of their local rivals.

JAVIER MASCHERANO

ONE of Javier Mascherano’s three West Ham appearances was against Tottenham in a London derby . . . which will have been tame compared to his experiences in Buenos Aires.

El Superclásico is the term used to describe the showdown between River Plate and Boca Juniors - generally considered to be the most nerve shredding derby in world football.

In 2004, The Observer newspaper made a list of 50 sporting things you must do before you die.

Watch Boca Juniors play River Plate in Buenos Aires was top of the list.

Due to their huge fan bases (Boca has 40% of the Argentine population and River 33%, the enmity is almost national when the sides clash.

Known worldwide for the passion of the fans, the stands of both teams reverberate with passionate songs (often based on popular Argentine rock band tunes), fireworks, flags and rolls of paper.

The Gwladys Street will hold few fears for Mascherano.

I still can't decipher the waffle you post true blue , I thought the blue sh#te fans were supposed to have a great sense of humour and all that ,

I can't understand him either. Thought it was some sort of Scouse lingo thing going on :D

I still can't decipher the waffle you post true blue , I thought the blue sh#te fans were supposed to have a great sense of humour and all that ,

I can't understand him either. Thought it was some sort of Scouse lingo thing going on :D

Believe me Mr b , the posts from trueblue are NOT scouse lingo :D .

And here's a list of the blue sh#te players who could be making their derby debut this saturday :

LEIGHTON BAINES

THOUGH he has never played in a high-profile derby, Baines will not need any explanations about what he can expect in Saturday’s powder keg atmosphere.

Born in Kirkby, Baines might have grown up wanting to be Robbie Fowler - he has the same sweet left-foot - but there is no mistaking where his allegiances lie now.

Arguably Everton’s best performer of the season to date, he will be looking to build on the progress he has made since joining from Wigan Athletic and will relish the occasion.

At the JJB Stadium, clashes with Manchester United and Bolton were as close as it got to being a derby and it seemed to bring the best out of him - he scored in both games against United last season.

AYEGBENI YAKUBU

EVERTON centre-forwards who are new to Merseyside derbies have a habit of stealing the headlines and would it be a surprise if Yakubu repeated the trick this weekend?

Andrew Johnson forever endeared himself to Evertonians with a double in the corresponding fixture 12 months ago, while the moment Duncan Ferguson towered above Liverpool’s defence to score his first goal for the club is ingrained in the Royal Blue psyche.

It might be asking a lot for Yakubu to do likewise yet, looking through his record in England, it’s quite clear he enjoys playing in derby games and doing what he does best - scoring goals.

During his time at Portsmouth, he found the net in a 4-1 drubbing of Southampton, while Yakubu also scored in two Tyne-Tees squabbles, including the winner for Middlesbrough at the Riverside against Newcastle last season.

PHIL JAGIELKA

THE hustle, bustle and helter-skelter pace of derbies can often take newcomers by surprise but, if Jagielka lines up on Saturday, he will know exactly what to expect.

A veteran of numerous Steel City derbies, Jagielka has experienced the highs and lows playing for Sheffield United against Wednesday.

He has had an up-and-down start to life at Goodison Park but, one thing that can be assured with Jagielka is that he will be quite prepared to get stuck in during the frantic opening exchanges and won’t go missing if things get tough.

STEVEN PIENAAR

NOISE levels at Goodison Park this weekend will be cranked up to full volume but that is unlikely to faze Pienaar, who has played one of the most chaotic counters of them all.

Tensions between Ajax - Pienaar’s first club - and Feyenoord mean the atmosphere in those games in Holland is never anything other than crackling.

Yet the little South African invariably thrived in this environment. Expect to see him do the same if selected.

A bit more news ahead of the derby ( I'm just a little excited :D ).

Rafa wants Crouch to stay it seems but does Crouch want to continue sitting on the bench all year ?? :o:D .

And I liked the news regarding Benayoun and his decision to come back to training early , I hope he is rewarded with a start against the blue sh#te :D :

Peter Crouch is not for sale - Rafa Benitez Oct 17 2007

AD74E93F-AF3E-5025-A4FD79C224F31742.jpg

LIVERPOOL boss Rafa Benitez has moved to end the speculation surrounding the future of striker Peter Crouch by declaring: He is not for sale.

Last season’s top scorer has started just one Premier League match this season, prompting speculation of a January transfer and interest from Manchester City.

But the Reds boss said today: “People have been talking about Peter Crouch for two months, but he is our player and we don’t want to sell him.

“He is a nice boy, a good professional, a good player.

“It is clear that this team now with four strikers creates more competition for places, but I don’t have any problems because Crouch is a good player.”

Crouch found himself increasingly out of favour last season, despite a healthy goals return.

But he may find himself under consideration for Saturday’s Goodison derby with fitness worries surrounding Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt, but Benitez gave a reassuring bulletin on both strikers’ progress.

“Torres is improving a lot. He wants to play,” he said. “I was talking with him before and he said ‘If you want, I will be available.’

“It could be a small risk, but we need to check with the physio.

“Harry Kewell is training, Xabi Alonso is running, Kuyt is running also, but Agger will be more difficult.

“We need to wait and see. Maybe we will need to use one, but not all because we have two more important games after the derby.”

Alonso, who has been out of action for a month with a broken foot, said: “I am progressing. In the last few days I have started running on the pitch, which is good news because I’ve been spending a lot of time in the gym.

“At the moment it’s looking good, but I don’t know if I will be fit enough to be ready for the derby.

“The fact it’s the derby doesn’t make me any more determined – I am always determined to recover as quickly as possible.

“I want to be back as soon as possible but I have to respect my foot. I have to see how it feels.”

Benitez was boosted, however, by Yossi Benayoun’s decision to return early from Israel’s training camp.

“He knows he needs to be training if he wants to be part of Saturday’s team, so he was back training today,” added Benitez.

“He was tired, but happy to be back.”

Thats Okay then, because I thought being a backward Cornishman, that I didn't have a proper grasp of the English language North of the border (Tamar). :D

I can't understand him either. Thought it was some sort of Scouse lingo thing going on :bah:

Thats Okay then, because I thought being a backward Cornishman, that I didn't have a proper grasp of the English language North of the border (Tamar). :D

Well that makes 3 of us :D , I can sense a new thread coming on :D ( that's your job mrtoad :bah::o ).

I can't understand him either. Thought it was some sort of Scouse lingo thing going on :bah:

Well that makes 3 of us :D , I can sense a new thread coming on :D ( that's your job mrtoad :o;) ).

Scouse, the use of the word 'la' on the end of the sentence leads me to suspect that he is Singaporean, or at least attempting to speak Singlish :bah:

Archived