Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

That was a pretty good result.

Means that KD has taken only 14 games to accumulate more points (27) than RH did in 20 (25).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8470622/Liverpool-director-of-football-Damien-Comolli-to-lead-the-way-in-bid-to-refresh-the-playing-staff-at-Anfield.html

An article talking about Liverpool aiming for '22 deals' in and out of the squad in the summer.

That was a pretty good result.

Means that KD has taken only 14 games to accumulate more points (27) than RH did in 20 (25).

http://www.telegraph...at-Anfield.html

An article talking about Liverpool aiming for '22 deals' in and out of the squad in the summer.

It was a good result, solid performance I thought.

Lets see what the Southerners have to say about your comment on Kenny getting better results than Roy.

Lets see what the Southerners have to say about your comment on Kenny getting better results than Roy.

missing johnson, agger, gerrard and carroll it certainly was. loads of reasons for optimism about LFC again now. nice to look forward to a summer's transfer activity without being hamstrung by interest payments, asset-stripping and players wanting to leave a sinking ship.

Here's quite a good table which shows how football has very little to do with actually knowing anything about football.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Pay-v-perf-PL.jpg

You can see from say Man City that the correlation is incredibly close going much further down the league.

There are no miracles. The 10th rank wage bill never qualifies for the Champions League, the 5th ranked wage bill never wins the Premiership and the 4th ranked wage bill doesnt end up 10th.

In fact if Man U win the league it will be the first time a wage bill ranked as low as 3rd has achieved this. Man City obviously looks like a bit of an erroneous data point in the current year - ending up 4th with the largest wage bill. However you can pretty much guarantee that if they go around buying the best and most expensive players forever they will win the league.

Now the reason this matters to Liverpool is that FSG might not know anything about football but they can read a table. They can see for instance that for the last two years the club as been underperforming its wage bill (particularly against Spurs.) We already know this - those Bosman signings were nothing like as 'free' as they looked (and FSG have been complaining about it).

But they can also see that Liverpool cannot possibly win the league or even guarantee to qualify for the CL if it simply eliminates say 15m of deadwood from the wage bill and adds 20m with 3 or 4 new signings. If they are serious about winning the league they need to invest and strengthen the squad and get the wage bill up to Man U.

Not exactly heroic maths it is basically what they did with the Red Sox.

So as far as summer signings go, I reckon they will spend up to 100m. I calculate roughly that they can add about 8 players average 20m transfer fee, average 100k a week or 5m a year wages over the next couple of seasons and still be well within the FFP 'profit' breakeven parameters. For various accounting reasons it makes sense to front end load their investment. Of course they may not bother!!

post-23517-0-14754300-1303730343_thumb.j

post-23517-0-22908800-1303730354_thumb.j

Edited by Abrak

missing johnson, agger, gerrard and carroll it certainly was. loads of reasons for optimism about LFC again now. nice to look forward to a summer's transfer activity without being hamstrung by interest payments, asset-stripping and players wanting to leave a sinking ship.

Agreed Stevie - complete turn around such a good feeling around now.We look a different side, we press, knock the ball around with movement. And most importantly we look solid at the back even after chopping and changing the back four through injuries. Its all about on the field now so yes very optimistic - cant wait to see who buy in the summer!

Edited by Devil

More positive signs that Reina might be staying after the summer...

http://www.telegraph...Merseyside.html

He's enjoying the champagne football now that can be seen at every Liverpool game. The crushing defeat of Birmingham was one of the finest displays of football i have seen in many many years and everything looks absolutely fantastic, and so exciting, why on earth would he want to leave. i reckon you'll win everything next season.

He's enjoying the champagne football now that can be seen at every Liverpool game. The crushing defeat of Birmingham was one of the finest displays of football i have seen in many many years and everything looks absolutely fantastic, and so exciting, why on earth would he want to leave. i reckon you'll win everything next season.

Its all very well to mock hem but they'll have a much more experienced Gerrard and Carragher next season. Add the 'potent' force of Ashley Young and well....

You can understand their confidence.

Its all very well to mock hem but they'll have a much more experienced Gerrard and Carragher next season. Add the 'potent' force of Ashley Young and well....

No i can't. But its by far the best thread on here.

Are you talking about that very average headless chicken Ashley Young? The one that Houllier rates at 80m that cant even get into a really crap England squad?

Edited by carmine

No i can't. But its by far the best thread on here.

Well Abrak has them at 13/1 for the title next season. :D

Come on Avrak offer me some odds for a top four position as well. I might have a few quid off ya. ;)

'confidence' is different from optimism i think. i don't 'expect' us to challenge for the league title next season but given significant investment this summer and a few key signings and there's the hope that we might. my cheerfulness about liverpool right now isn't about potential success, it's just having the club back in the hands of owners who aren't raping it for all it is worth and appointing out of their depth idiots as manager who sign championship level players. we've got kenny in charge again, the players and fans have smiles on their faces again. happy days.

'confidence' is different from optimism i think. i don't 'expect' us to challenge for the league title next season but given significant investment this summer and a few key signings and there's the hope that we might. my cheerfulness about liverpool right now isn't about potential success, it's just having the club back in the hands of owners who aren't raping it for all it is worth and appointing out of their depth idiots as manager who sign championship level players. we've got kenny in charge again, the players and fans have smiles on their faces again. happy days.

Thats fair enough. Whats the hold up with confirming Dalglish? Its obvious he's done enough already to deserve it and he seemingly wants it. I'd have thought it would add to a feel good factor for the last five games if everyone knew where they stood.

Thats fair enough. Whats the hold up with confirming Dalglish? Its obvious he's done enough already to deserve it and he seemingly wants it. I'd have thought it would add to a feel good factor for the last five games if everyone knew where they stood.

i wish i knew. as i expect do all other fans. not having given him a deal yet just gives rise to the niggling thought that FSG / commoli might have someone younger in mind to make it a 'project' again. deschamps or someone similar.

i wish i knew. as i expect do all other fans. not having given him a deal yet just gives rise to the niggling thought that FSG / commoli might have someone younger in mind to make it a 'project' again. deschamps or someone similar.

I said exactly the same thing a while back on here. This Commoli siuation is something quite alien to what most managers in EPL are used to...Dalglish included

Commoli is quietly, and slowly getting his powerbase in place. Worrying, really

Cant see Kenny getting anywhere near all he wants in any deal. Perhaps fans better prepare for ALL eventualities

Penkoprod

Personally I think they are 'showboating'. If they really were going to appoint a 'younger manager' they would already have carefully let down supporters so they would not have been too disappointed. I suspect they will appoint KD with a three year contract before the end of the season.

The odds for all the bookies European style are here.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/next-season

Edited by Abrak

Why rock the boat again. Kenny is certainly up for the job and has the respect of all the players. The feel good factor is back, long may it continue. I feel they will offer him a contract before the season is over.

You might be right Then ofcourse Dalglish might well, very wisely be fighting his corner behind the scenes, to mak sure that in the transfer market, he has the final say and not Commoli. There could be a little power struggle holding things up and thats the only reason i can think of for the delay.

Why rock the boat again. Kenny is certainly up for the job and has the respect of all the players. The feel good factor is back, long may it continue. I feel they will offer him a contract before the season is over.

You might be right Then ofcourse Dalglish might well, very wisely be fighting his corner behind the scenes, to mak sure that in the transfer market, he has the final say and not Commoli. There could be a little power struggle holding things up and thats the only reason i can think of for the delay.

Could be Comolli yes....it won't be his wage demands so that just leaves the size of the transfer kitty as the only other real issue I would think. Maybe he feels its not enough to do the job?

If the kitty is there or not, IMHO Kenny will still want the job.

I agree but i don't think its about the size of kitty. Its about which one of them is going to call the shots. My theory ayway.

My theory, too

For those that doubt the power Comolli has, they should listen to the man himself.

(The 1st 45 seconds of it says it all really)

This is what the owners want, obviously...whether its what Kenny wants doesnt seem to come into it too much

The changing face of football, huh?:blink:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/News-and-Interviews/10-11/LFC-has-a-brig-25293.php3

I agree but i don't think its about the size of kitty. Its about which one of them is going to call the shots. My theory ayway.

My theory, too

For those that doubt the power Comolli has, they should listen to the man himself.

(The 1st 45 seconds of it says it all really)

This is what the owners want, obviously...whether its what Kenny wants doesnt seem to come into it too much

The changing face of football, huh?:blink:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/video/News-and-Interviews/10-11/LFC-has-a-brig-25293.php3

I am totally and utterly gobsmacked how this guy managed to first, get the Tottenham job, procede to massively f_uck us up and then unbelievably get the job at Liverpool. I'll tell you what, anything that goes wrong he'll make sure Dalglish is held responsible. He won the power struggle with Martin Jol, a young coach that took uo to two consecutive 5th place finishes.

Lord alone knows what would have happened at Spurs if Redknapp had'nt made Comolli's exit a specific requirement.

You have a point but if the first 2 signings is anything to go by then hopefully we should be ok.

Anyway if the fans have their say there will be only one winner :lol: .

You have a point but if the first 2 signings is anything to go by then hopefully we should be ok.

Anyway if the fans have their say there will be only one winner :lol: .

Yes, and i hope so too.

On the matter of the signings, Suarez i feel was a great buy. I was livid Redknap passed him by. Carroll will prove to be a very good player, but you could have done the for 15m less. It was a ridiclous piece of business and now i understand a little more why Ashley has got to where he is. They'd have sold him to Sunderland for less than 35m let alone Liverpool and i think Ashleys probably still laughing now.

Carmine, didnt Spurs bid 25m for Carroll on the final day of the January window?

And look if you guys had paid 40m for Suarez, I bet it would have been money well spent because you would be in the champions league next year.

But the reason that LFC's supporters are perfectly happy to see 35m spent on Carroll is that it shows the owners CAN and will.

The problem I see with Comolli and Dalglish is not over acquisitions. I am sure they can agree on that. I think Comolli and Dalglish can work together because they are so fundamentally different. I suspect Dalglish sees 35m for Carroll as ridiculous but he is happy to have him in the team. Where they may fall out is over which players to keep.

I also think people underestimate how much FSG are going to be involved in the decision making process.