Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Jamie Carragher cautioned for common assault

Feb 28 2008 Ben Rossington, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL FC star Jamie Carragher has been arrested and cautioned by police for common assault.

The Anfield player, 30, attended at a Merseyside police station yesterday to be questioned over a fracas on a busy road close to the star’s home.

Carragher assaulted another man on Liverpool Road, Crosby, at around 9am on Tuesday as he made his way to training at Melwood.

A witness called police to report two men were arguing by the side of the road and named the Bootle-born player, who is also Liverpool’s vice-captain, as one of the men.

Later that day, police received a complaint from the second man and Carragher was informed officers wanted to speak to him.

An appointment was made for him to see the police and when he went to a police station yesterday with his solicitor, Carragher was formally interviewed and accepted his caution. Accepting a caution is an admission of guilt in the eyes of the law.

Common assault is the lowest form of assault and can include anything from spitting to shoving.

A Merseyside Police spokesman said: “We can confirm that a 30-year-old man from the Blundellsands area received a police caution for common assault in relation to an incident on Liverpool Road, Crosby, on Tuesday February 26.”

:o must be a bluenose

Edited by kopite

Liverpool complete £18.6m move for Mascherano

'I am at a top side and I know I can win titles here'

Staff and agencies

Friday February 29, 2008

guardian.co.uk

Javier Mascherano has finally committed his future to Liverpool.

Javier Mascherano has finally committed his future to Liverpool by signing a four-year deal at the club.

The Argentina midfielder has been at Anfield since ending a brief stint at West Ham and until today was on a long-term loan from his owners MSI. Liverpool have paid £18.6m for the player's services.

"I am very, very happy and now I can concentrate just on playing football," Mascherano told Liverpoolfc.tv. "I said all along that I wanted to stay at Liverpool and now that I have signed I can say this is the best and the biggest moment in my career so far.

Article continues

"From the first day I arrived at Liverpool the feeling was good and I knew this was where I wanted to play my football. It's good news for me and my family that everything is sorted and I know where my future is going to be. I just want to do my best for the fans and the people of the club.

"I am at a top side and I know I can win titles here. That's the big thing for me. I want to be at a club where we can win trophies and have success."

The Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez was just as delighted to secure the services of the 23-year-old midfielder. "We must be really pleased with the situation now," he said.

"He has been a key player for us since he has been here and now we know he can be a key player in our future.

"From the start we knew Javier was a player with quality and a fantastic mentality. We knew the player when he was in the reserves at River Plate but was playing for the senior national team and we had been monitoring his career since then.

"He is young but he has great experience having played for his country. We knew he would be a good signing for us.

"It's clear that he is one of the best midfielders in the world but he can get better with us. We now have a lot of good options in the centre of midfield and that's good news for the club."

The Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry, who worked painstakingly to finalise the deal, added: "Our overriding thought is that we are delighted to have signed a world-class player on a long contract and I know Javier is thrilled too because he was keen to have his long-term future resolved.

"I think this signing demonstrates two things. Firstly, that life at the club goes on despite all of the speculation to the contrary.

"And secondly it demonstrates in very large measure the ongoing commitment of the owners who once again have come good when funds have been needed."

3 points for the red men.

babel was MOTM for me. a weird freak goal for gerrard, kuyt had a ok game and the goal by aurelio was just top class.

i cant stand seeing carra at right back though, he just looks so weak. <deleted> going forward and no class on the ball or making chances going forward.

made up

babel was MOTM for me. a weird freak goal for gerrard, kuyt had a ok game and the goal by aurelio was just top class.

i cant stand seeing carra at right back though, he just looks so weak. <deleted> going forward and no class on the ball or making chances going forward.

made up

Good win against Bolton - first away win in 11 years.

Yeah Kopite, though Babel was really good. Was also good that we still managed to put 3 goals past them even though Torres had a very quiet game. We played more stuff to feet and looked like we had a bit of confidence from the start.

Good stuff away from home.

made up

Good win against Bolton - first away win in 11 years.

Yeah Kopite, though Babel was really good. Was also good that we still managed to put 3 goals past them even though Torres had a very quiet game. We played more stuff to feet and looked like we had a bit of confidence from the start.

Good stuff away from home.

torres had two men marking him at all times, which is why babel and kuyt caused them so many problems. just goes to show how scared teams are of his pace. there were times in the game when he had 3-4 players surronding him.

games for march

west ham

newcastle

inter

reading

mancs

everton

arsenal

its going to be an interesting month :o

Watching the game last night with a Bolton fan made the win a lot more enjoyable than usual ( thanks fletch :o ).

I thought Babbel was MOM and the reason both him and Kuyt had such good games was because the whole of the Bolton defence was concerned about Torres.

RAFA: WIN TURNS UP THE HEAT FOR FOURTH

110507_training_rafa_story.jpgRafael Benitez hailed his side's 3-1 success at Bolton and admitted it was vital to maintain a winning momentum in order to turn up the pressure on their rivals for fourth place. An own goal from Jussi Jaaskelainen and second-half strikes from Ryan Babel and Fabio Aurelio keeps Liverpool well placed in the fight for the final Champions League berth and the Reds boss believes a victory in their midweek match at home to West Ham will give them the edge going into the final three months of the campaign.

"Every win is important but especially now with it being so close in the fight for fourth position," said Benitez.

"So to put other teams under pressure is important. If we can win our game in hand it will then depend on us.

"We can then go into the Newcastle game and the Champions League match with Inter with more confidence. It is really important that we keep winning."

After a nervy opening the Reds were gifted the lead when Jaaskelainen fumbled Gerrard's speculative shot into his own net.

It gave Liverpool the confidence to go on and secure a convincing victory and although Benitez admits he felt for the Bolton stopper, he believes the goal helped to settle his side down and enabled them to play, rather than battle, their way to three points.

"It was disappointing for the goalkeeper but good for us and sometimes these things happen," said Benitez.

"I said before the match that the team was really concentrated and was training well. In the first five minutes when we had problems with their free-kicks but after that I think the team played well. We were trying to keep the ball because we knew it would be more physical if we didn't keep possession, so the idea was to play with a high tempo."

Benitez also praised the impact of Ryan Babel who netted his eighth goal in a red shirt and was a constant menace throughout.

"I think it was a good game for him," said Rafa.

"He had plenty of space and he could get in behind defenders, he could go into one-on-one situations. They had to keep an eye on Torres and Gerrard and it gave Babel more freedom."

I'd take it :o :

<H2 align=center>CROUCH TOLD TO TAKE £35K</H2>

PETER CROUCH will be given a take-it-or-leave-it offer of £35,000 a week to stay at Liverpool.

But the 6ft 7in striker, a target for several Premier League clubs, is unlikely to be rushed into a decision until the summer.

Crouch is not one of Anfield's top earners, having been signed for around £20,000 a week when he moved from Southampton in a £7million deal in 2005.

His four-year contract runs out at the end of next season, so Liverpool find themselves in a more vulnerable position as Crouch heads towards Bosman territory.

However, Finnish defender Sami Hyypia, 34, will sign a one-year extension to his current Kop deal, fending off the advances of Fulham and ensuring a testimonial. Yet the Cottagers will move for out-of-contract midfielder Harry Kewell, providing they beat the drop.

I can't believe this was Babel's first full 90 minutes in the premiership :o . Lets have a few more Rafa :D :

BABEL PROMISES MORE 'BEAUTIFUL' DISPLAYS

101207-reading-babel-01.jpgRyan Babel today promised to follow up his best Liverpool display to date with even more 'beautiful' performances. The Dutchman scored a fine goal in what was his first full 90 minutes in the Premier League against Bolton on Sunday.

Babel's wingplay was so good it prompted Trotters boss Gary Megson to substitute right-back Gretar Rafn Steinsson after just 42 minutes.

But despite being satisfied with his own performance, the 21-year-old insisted there was more to come from both him and the team.

He said: "I think that was one of my better games for Liverpool and I felt more confident as the game went on.

"I still think I will improve some more though because I am still getting used to football in this country.

"The game is a lot more physically demanding here than I was used to in Holland but I feel I am much stronger now compared to the beginning of the season.

"I am not where I want to be just yet but hopefully soon I will find my level and I can play beautiful football for Liverpool.

"But the most important thing was the performance of the team.

"We trained really well in the week leading up to the Bolton game and we took the confidence from that into this match."

Babel followed up what was his eighth goal of the season with an impressive somersault celebration – but it's not something he intends to make a habit of.

"I'm very happy with the goal because it was important that we scored the second to kill the game, so I am grateful for that," he said.

"We kept pushing forward for the second and I always felt it would come, even though Jaaskelainen made some fantastic saves.

"So when I scored my goal I was really happy and that was why I celebrated like I did.

"But I won't be doing it all the time. I will save it for the special moments."

An interview with Gerrard after the Bolton game and he talkls about "those" comments from mid-week :

251106-gerrard_120_02.jpgSteven Gerrard reflects on the Bolton win and tells of his disappointment at how some of his comments last week were mis-interpreted. 030308-bolton-gerrard-01.jpg

You must have been delighted with the Bolton result, Stevie?

Yes, it was a great performance and that's the most pleasing thing. Obviously the three points are vital to us at this stage of the season but it was a really good team performance. It's difficult to pick a man of the match after a game like that.

How important is it that you now continue this winning streak?

Of course. The fight for Champions League places is hotting up, with the teams around us hitting form: the likes of your Villas and, obviously, Everton. It's important that we focus on what we're doing and try to stay consistent until the end of the season.

Having seen the first goal back, are you going to try to claim it?

I did try to claim it. When I saw it go in off the 'keeper I thought, 'I'll try to celebrate here to make people think it was my goal!' But, having seen it back, I can't argue if it goes down as an own goal.

Perhaps you'd say the team was due a bit of luck?

Yes, of course. I am a believer in making your own luck, and so with the pressure we put Bolton under after that first 10 minutes, I think we deserved a bit of luck. Once we got used to the weather and long balls, I thought we settled down and completely controlled the game.

What's the most pleasing aspect of the afternoon?

Obviously the three points, but if you can get maximum points and play well everyone's happy.

It's seven points from the last nine now, with that draw at Chelsea. Do you feel like your hitting form just at the right time?

Let's hope so. The draw at Chelsea was a very good point. Everybody realises how difficult it is to go there. Then we've beaten Middlesbrough, and though we did make a couple of mistakes and conceded a few silly goals, we were ruthless in front of goal with Fernando. So, we're pleased with our league form over the last three games or so, but it's important we now continue that.

050307_gerrard_192_01.jpgGerrard on press reportsthe headlines got twisted into 'If we win the Champions League it won't be important' – which is nonsense. That is not what I meant at all. There won't be anyone happier in Liverpool than me if we do win the Champions League again. Istanbul was the best night of my football career and if we go on to achieve that again it will be right up there with that. But, because we're Liverpool Football Club, even if we do win it, we'll still worry about and try to improve our league form. We are winners and we want to try to win every competition we are in.Do you think the teams around you will be worried about your form? Will they almost be expecting you to take fourth now?

I don't think they'll be expecting us to take fourth, because they'll be fighting for that fourth place themselves. It's going to be difficult because all the teams that are going for it have strengthened and they've all got good squads. They are hitting the right form as well, but we're confident that if we play to our capabilities between now and the end of the season we'll take that fourth spot. Confidence is high at the moment but if we don't now go and beat West Ham, the Bolton result becomes irrelevant.

Since the Inter game you've won both league games when it might have been easy to lose focus on domestic matters. As captain you must be pleased that the players aren't being distracted by the San Siro trip to come?

Yes, as a footballer you have to adapt. After that victory it was important to switch back to league mode and try to get into the top four. This is so important for next season and it will be a good achievement if we do get in that top four. We'll worry about Inter once we've got these next two games out of the way. What's important is that getting fourth is in our own hands, though we can't afford any slip ups between now and the end of the season. A good run of victories would be very nice.

In the build up to the Bolton game a lot was made of your comments in the club magazine. Were you a bit disappointed with how negatively that interview went on to be portrayed in the press?

Yes, as captain of the club it's very easy for your words to be twisted into something that doesn't really reflect the interview. The message I was trying to get across was that we are disappointed with where we are in the league, but that we're going to try to get into the top four and improve our league situation next season. Hopefully while we're going along we can get to another Champions League final. That would be a really good season. But the headlines got twisted into 'If we win the Champions League it won't be important' – which is nonsense. That is not what I meant at all. There won't be anyone happier in Liverpool than me if we do win the Champions League again. Istanbul was the best night of my football career and if we go on to achieve that again it will be right up there with that. But, because we're Liverpool Football Club, even if we do win it, we'll still worry about and try to improve our league form. We are winners and we want to try to win every competition we are in. The message I was trying to get across was that, even if we do win the Champions League and finish fourth, we'll still look to improve in the league.

Not many captains get their hands on the Champions League trophy. Even fewer have done it twice – is that something which drives you on?

Yes, of course. I am hungry for trophies – even more than when I was younger. Maybe it's because I'm running out of time a bit! [Laughs] I'm 27 and want to make the most of my career and be as successful as I can. I think I am at the right club to do that because we've got a good squad and we are improving all the time. And we've got a good manager, so I'm really confident I can lift many more trophies here – and not just the Champions League.

As a Scouser, you must know how much it would mean to the fans if we are celebrating in Moscow come the end of the season?

Yes, it's massive for the fans. We're lucky to have the best support in the world. They follow us everywhere, even through the qualifiers. Hopefully they'll go all the way to the final. There's nothing better than getting on a bus and parading a trophy round the city and seeing the expressions on people's faces. I know how much it means to them, and I'm a fan as well.

As you look round the dressing room, do you see enough quality to be able to fulfil the club's dreams?

Yes, the future's bright. We've got a good, young squad, but there's also a lot of experienced players like Carragher and Hyypia. The signings that have been made are making an impact, so I've got confidence that we can go forward.

So, even though the league table doesn't look how we'd like right now, you're saying the future is bright with players like Torres and Babel?

Yes, definitely. The important thing short-term is to get in that fourth position, then we can re-group in the summer and have another go at winning the league. The players here know we've underachieved in the league this year. You go back to before the Villa game and we believed we could still be in the title race. That's disappointing but now we've got to finish as high as possible this year and have another go next season.

Dubai says Liverpool club talks stuck on valuation

DUBAI (Reuters) - A Dubai government-run investment fund said on Tuesday it has been in talks with Liverpool football club's U.S. owners about possibly buying a stake, but one of the club owners "was in dreamland" about valuations.

"It's no secret that we have been in discussions with the current owners," Dubai International Capital (DIC) Chief Executive Sameer al-Ansari told reporters at a conference.

"It's not easy because the owners are in dreamland about valuations at the moment," said Ansari of Tom Hicks and George Gillett. He later clarified that one of the club's owners "had come out of dreamland", without giving further details.

Hicks said last month he was not planning to sell a stake in the British soccer club, denying press speculation that he was in talks with DIC over a sale.

The Times, without citing a source for the information, said on Tuesday that DIC was confident Gillett would accept its offer of 200 million pounds for his 50 percent of the club, but said there were claims that Hicks was ready to exercise his option to buy out Gillett's stake.

Hicks said in January he had talked to DIC "once" about a 10-15 percent stake but Dubai said at the time the valuation was too high.

Hicks and Gillett completed a refinancing deal in January that should allow them to go ahead with the building of a new stadium.

DIC had been considering a bid for the club last year before pulling out.

Liverpool are planning to build a new stadium on parkland adjacent to their current Anfield home, though the plans have changed and been delayed several times.

DIC, which manages about $13 billion of assets, is owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

http://africa.reuters.com/sport/news/usnBAN425943.html

Hicks plots total control of Reds

_44466545_usowners203.jpg Gillett (left) and Hicks have become unpopular among Liverpool fansLiverpool co-owner Tom Hicks is unwilling to sell his share in the club to Dubai International Capital and aims to buy out partner George Gillett.

DIC has tabled a formal £400m bid to take control from the American duo.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose told BBC 5 Live: "Hicks has been willing to have DIC as a minority stakeholder. He's not willing to sell a controlling interest.

"Tom Hicks is working on a plan where he would buy out his partner George Gillett, who is minded to sell to DIC."

o.gifI suspect it will be another couple of months at least before it is resolved

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose

Hicks has not formally rejected the offer from DIC, the Government-run Dubai investment fund, but is still unwilling to sell out.

DIC has insisted there is no deadline on its bid to buy out the Americans, who took control of the club in a deal worth £218.9m in February 2007.

Bose explained: "Gillett and Hicks have an informal understanding that one won't sell without the other and DIC has never been interested in being a minority stakeholder, and would not be interested in getting into bed with Hicks with a 50-50 partnership."

He added: "There is a bit more to go but some conclusion will be reached - either Hicks will raise the money to buy out Gillett and take total control, or there will be a sale of the club. I suspect it will be another couple of months at least before it is resolved."

DIC confirmed on Tuesday it had been in talks with American duo Hicks and Gillett about purchasing a stake in the Anfield club.

"It's no secret that we have been in discussions with the current owners," said DIC chief executive Sameer al-Ansari.

"It's not easy because (they) are in dreamland about valuations."

Al-Ansari later clarified that one of the club's owners "had come out of dreamland", without giving further details.

Bose said: "The fact that DIC has gone so public on this means they know that the offer is not being accepted and they are trying to use fan pressure, like the Americans did last year."

Texan billionaire Hicks said in February he was not planning to sell a stake in Liverpool, denying media speculation he was in talks with DIC over a sale.

He also revealed that Gillett could not sell his stake in the Premier League club without his approval.

o.gif606: DEBATE DIC giving them "24 hour deadline" is pointless

WRA

However, both Hicks and Gillett have become increasingly unpopular among Reds fans, drawing criticism for their treatment of manager Rafael Benitez and their financial management of the club.

That has given fresh hope to DIC, which was considering buying Liverpool before the Americans joined forces to complete their own takeover in February 2007.

Hicks said in January he had talked to DIC "once" about a 10-15% stake, but DIC said the valuation was too high.

DIC is thought to want a controlling stake at Anfield, meaning it would need to convince Hicks to relinquish part of his 50% of the club as well as buying out Gillett.

Another obstacle is the refinancing package announced on 25 January that has loaded £105m of debt on to the club.

Of that, £60m is earmarked to kick-start the new stadium development at Stanley Park plus £45m for future player transfers and to meet the club's working capital needs.

DIC, which manages about £6.5bn of assets, is owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

Al-Ansari was the man behind the takeover bid a year ago and looked to have succeeded until then Liverpool owner David Moores suddenly opted to sell to the Americans. "It took me two weeks to get over that," said al-Ansari, who is a Liverpool fan. "But it didn't dent my passion - I still go to every match when I'm here."

An interview with Rafa after the Bolton game :o

psvtraining_benitez_120_03.jpgRafa Benitez talks about West Ham, injuries and what he perceives as mind games from David Moyes. 310108-westham-rafa-01.jpg

Firstly Rafa, you must have been very happy with the performance on Sunday?

Yes, it was a good game. The team concentrated and, after the first minutes, it was a very good game.

You've had a bit of time to reflect - what pleased you most about the display?

The players knew what they had to do, they knew it was a difficult stadium to go to. So, we needed to fight for every ball, every tackle and every challenge.

You had a bit of luck early on with the goal and Bolton hitting the crossbar – you'd probably say you were due a bit of good fortune, wouldn't you?

Yes, I think it was difficult with that deep free-kick. It hit the crossbar but these things can happen, especially against Bolton. Pepe showed his quality with the save he made, so yes, we were a little bit lucky at the beginning of the game, but after that we started doing to right things and we controlled the game.

The Bolton result lifted you temporarily above Everton but they got another good result against Pompey – did you see any of that game?

I saw part of their game, but not all of it. You know my idea, and that's to concentrate on my own team.

Can you see the race for fourth becoming an all Merseyside affair?

It seems like it now, but Aston Villa also have a lot of confidence and Blackburn won the other day away from home. You never know, but maybe you can say that Liverpool, Everton and Aston Villa will be close.

How important is the next derby at Anfield on March 30 going to be?

It could be really important, but it depends on the other games before then. We'll have to wait and see the position both teams are in before the game but clearly it will be an important game.

David Moyes keeps insisting Liverpool are favourites – do you think that's just a bit of mind games?

Yes.

0308_rafa_quote.jpgRafa on the Upton Park defeatI can promise you I was very disappointed! We controlled the last 20 minutes – we attacked and attacked, but then conceded after one of our own corners. It was very frustrating for me.In previous seasons Liverpool have maybe become distracted by Europe at this stage. How confident are you your team can stay focused on getting fourth spot?

I have confidence. It's not easy when you play in the Champions League but we have some experience. We know we have to concentrate and be focused on every game, and see if we can progress in both competitions.

Looking ahead to West Ham – how frustrating has it been waiting for this game in hand to arrive?

Really frustrating. You are always expecting it to come either next week or the week after, but then they said it was going to be in March! Now it has come and we'll be really pleased if we end the game with a win.

This is arguably one of the most important games of the season despite the fact it's not a top of the table clash, isn't it?

Yes, it's really important for us. That fourth spot is always important and if we win this game we are there, and everything will depend on us.

These two teams played each other just over a month ago when they scored a last-minute penalty – how hard was that to swallow?

Really difficult. I can promise you I was very disappointed! We controlled the last 20 minutes – we attacked and attacked, but then conceded after one of our own corners. It was very frustrating for me.

I suppose there's a lesson there somewhere?

The lesson is that sometimes, if you cannot win the game in 90 minutes, you must not lose the game in the last minute.

They were thrashed by Chelsea at the weekend – is that a positive or negative for Liverpool going into this game?

It's difficult to say. My idea is for it to be positive, because maybe they will be low on confidence. But maybe they'll say to themselves, 'We need to show character and quality.' I prefer to say it will be positive but really I don't know.

What kind of dangers do they pose as a team?

They have some good players. Carlton Cole is a target man, and Ashton when he plays. They have good wingers: Ljungberg can get into the box. They have some key players who can be dangerous.

They're a good counter-attacking side, then?

Yes, because they have pace and energy. It's true they are good on the counter-attack.

What do you make of the job Alan Curbishley is doing at Upton Park?

It's been a difficult season for him because he's had a lot of injuries, but I think he's doing a good job now. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win – but you can see his team is strong enough.

Just a word on Javier Mascherano – it's his first chance to play against his former club. Do you think he'll be eager to prove a point?

I don't think so. Javier is a player who has already shown the quality he has. I think it will be another important game for him, but nothing else.

Any injury news, Rafa?

Steve Finnan is not available yet and Voronin is much better but cannot play. At the moment everyone else in the squad is fit.

Can we expect Carra to fill in again at right-back?

It's an option. I need to think about it. Arbeloa and Carra are options on the right.

BOSS: CROUCH AND HYYPIA COULD SIGN SOON

npx_psv_home_pc_cb_120_1.jpgRafa Benitez is hopeful that Peter Crouch and Sami Hyypia will soon put pen to paper on deals to keep them at Anfield. To watch the interview with Rafa click here>>

Hyypia's current contract is up in the summer, while Crouch has less than 18 months remaining.

After tying up a permanent deal for Javier Mascherano last week, Benitez is now turning his attention to a pair he sees as vital to Liverpool's continued quest for the Premier league title.

The Spaniard told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I have talked to both at different times. You never know, but I think they could be done soon."

A new deal for Crouch would put an end to near-constant newspaper speculation linking the England man with a move.

Benitez is confident the 27-year-old is happy on Merseyside.

He explained: "Rick Parry told me Peter's agent wanted to talk to him about a new contract. This was one month ago or more.

"So, I talked with Peter and explained my idea – because he's aware that top sides sometimes change players. But now he is happy and I think Rick Parry is talking with the agent.

"Every top side needs good players. Crouch is a different kind of player to Torres, Voronin and Kuyt. It is really important for us to have other options, to have a player who we can use in different games."

A new deal would take Hyypia into his 10th year at Anfield, having joined from Dutch side Willem II is 1999.

The big Finn turns 35 later this year, though Benitez is sure he still has the legs to challenge his younger counterparts for a place in the team.

"I spoke with Sami and showed him our interest. He is a very, very good professional," said the Anfield boss.

"It's not just about his experience. It's about him being a good player. He has played a lot of games this season, and the idea for next season is that he can play and fight for his place in the team.

"This will be good for us. One of the positive things is that, because he is a good professional and has a lot of experience, he can give the other players advice – but I also think he can fight for a position.

"He has been an amazing servant for this club. When you see a foreign player playing for the same team for 10 years, especially when they are a good professional like Sami, everyone must be really pleased."

I fancy us winning this one AS LONG AS Rafa picks the right time :o :

Liverpool v West Ham

_44468466_liv_whm_0506.gif

Anfield

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez could shuffle his pack for the visit of West Ham, but defender Steve Finnan will miss out with a groin problem.

Alvaro Arbeloa may play in place of Martin Skrtel, but Peter Crouch and Yossi Benayoun are eyeing starts.

West Ham could be without midfielder Julien Faubert for Wednesday's match against Liverpool.

Faubert took a knock in a challenge with Claude Makelele during the Hammers' 4-0 home defeat by Chelsea.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez:

"This is now a really important for game us.

"That fourth spot is always important; if we win this game we are there, and from then on everything will depend on us and what we do.

"I have confidence. It's not easy at this stage when you play in the Champions League as well, but we have some experience.

"We know we have to concentrate and be focused on every game, and see if we can progress in both competitions."

<LI>West Ham manager Alan Curbishley:

"If Liverpool win, it might finish us off in terms of breaking into the European places. We're in no man's land - and we need to change that.

"There are so many permutations, but it looks this season as though finishing seventh or even sixth might not be good enough to get into the UEFA Cup.

"We are not too far behind Portsmouth, Blackburn and Manchester City - but we just can't seem to catch them at the moment.

"We don't want the season to peter out. If we lose, we don't seem to go anywhere, and if we win, we don't seem to go anywhere. The next three or four weeks will decide our fate."

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Aurelio, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Babel, Kuyt, Torres, Crouch, Skrtel, Lucas, Martin.

West Ham (from): Green, Wright, Pantsil, Neill, Spector, Upson, Ferdinand, McCartney, Faubert, Ljungberg, Noble, Mullins, Solano, Boa Morte, Cole, Ashton, Camara, Sears.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Liverpool search for the three points from their game in hand to replace Merseyside rivals Everton in the top four of the Premier League.

West Ham look to bounce back from their heaviest defeat of the season - the 0-4 home loss to Chelsea on Saturday. They will remain motionless in 10th spot, whatever the result.

The Reds have not lost a league game, since their 1-0 reverse to West Ham at Upton Park on 30 January. They have also lost only one home league game in a calendar year.

Liverpool are defending an unbeaten home record against West Ham in the Premier League, and are vying for a seventh successive victory over the Hammers at Anfield.

CLUB FORM

LIVERPOOL

Club statsFixtures

Highest achievable: 4th

Lowest could fall: 5th

All statistics and sequences refer to the Premier League only, unless otherwise stated.

1. Won the last three in all competitions.

2. Unbeaten in four; won three and drew one since the defeat at West Ham - their only loss in 11.

3. Lost three times; only Arsenal have been beaten less frequently (just once).

4. Drawn 11 - more than any other club.

5. Conceded 20 goals; only Manchester United (15) and Chelsea (17) have shipped fewer. Also, allowed the opposition to score first in six games; only Manchester United can better that (five times).

6. Shown 36 cards (all yellow); only Everton have a better disciplinary record with 32 cards (29 yellow, three red).

7. Registered five goalless draws. Only Portsmouth have also been involved in as many as that.

8. One goal short of conceding 600 all-time in this league.

9. Not lost in five home games. Manchester United is the only club to have left Anfield with three points this season. Indeed, the 0-1 defeat to the Red Devils on 16 December is their only reverse in 18 home matches over a year.

10. Home again on Saturday, to Newcastle, before the Champions League return against Inter Milan in Italy (Liverpool lead 2-0). Then it's home to Reading, away to Manchester United, home to Everton in the Merseyside derby and away to Arsenal at the beginning of April.

WEST HAM UNITED

Club statsFixtures

Highest achievable: 10th

Lowest could fall: 10th

All statistics and sequences refer to the Premier League only, unless otherwise stated.

1. Won one of four.

2. The current tally of 40 points is twice as many as were accumulated after 27 games last season.

3. Not suffered back-to-back defeats in 19 since losing to Arsenal (h) and Aston Villa (a) on 29 September and 6 October respectively.

4. Their 27 games have produced fewer goals than any other club; 58 (31 for, 27 against) at 2.15 per game.

5. Not lost any matches in which they took the lead, but drawn five.

6. The 0-1 victory at Fulham in their last game on the road was their first away victory since Christmas.

7. Chasing a seventh away maximum of the campaign.

8. The third strongest away defence with 10 goals conceded; only Liverpool and Chelsea have leaked fewer on their travels (nine each).

9. Away to Tottenham after this, then home to Blackburn, before a visit to Everton and a long trip to Sunderland at the end of March.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

LIVERPOOL

Fernando TORRES is Liverpool's top scorer with 21 goals, and their leading marksman in the Premier League with 15. Only Cristiano RONALDO (Manchester United) and Emmanuel ADEBAYOR (Arsenal) have scored more in the highest league; 21 and 19 respectively.

Goalkeeper Jose REINA is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Liverpool's Premier League matches this season.

REINA is one of four jointly leading the race for the Barclays Golden Glove. Tim HOWARD (Everton), David JAMES (Portsmouth), Petr CECH (Chelsea) and REINA have all kept 12 clean sheets.

WEST HAM UNITED

Dean ASHTON is West Ham's top scorer with six goals.

ASHTON is also the Hammers' top Premier League marksmen with five.

The club's Premier League goalscorers list is predominately comprised of English players (eight of 12).

Matthew UPSON and Robert GREEN are the only remaining players to have been on the field for every minute of every one of West Ham's Premier League matches this season. The Hammers are the only club to have as many as two genuine ever-presents remaining in this Premier League campaign.

Lee BOWYER is a double shy of 50 career Premier League goals (Leeds, Newcastle and West Ham).

Nol SOLANO needs a double to total 50 Premier League goals (Newcastle, Aston Villa and West Ham).

Fredrik LJUNGBERG is three shy of 50 Premier League goals (Arsenal and West Ham).

If selected:-

UPSON will be making his 200th career league appearance (Luton, Arsenal, Nottingham Forest, Crystal Palace, Reading, Birmingham and West Ham).

James COLLINS will be making his 100th career league appearance (Cardiff and West Ham).

George McCARTNEY will be making his 50th league appearance in a West Ham shirt.

Carlton COLE and Jonathan SPECTOR will be making their 50th appearances in West Ham colours.

HEAD TO HEAD

A last-gasp penalty by Mark Noble sealed victory for West Ham in the reverse fixture in January. Now they're looking to do the double over Liverpool for the first time since their last league victory at Anfield in 1963-64.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Liverpool 52 wins, West Ham 21, Draws 28

Prem: Liverpool 14 wins, West Ham 5, Draws 6

at Liverpool only

League (inc PL): Liverpool 34 wins, West Ham 3, Draws 13

Prem: Liverpool 9 wins, West Ham 0, Draws 3

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Liverpool 2-1 West Ham United

26 August 2006 - Ref: Alan Wiley

Liverpool scorers: Agger 42, Crouch 45

West Ham scorer: Zamora 12

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

West Ham United 1-0 Liverpool

30 January 2008 - Ref: Alan Wiley

West Ham scorer: Noble 90 pen

REFEREE

Steve Bennett (Orpington, Kent) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/e...rem/4145288.stm

Good win against a decent side.

Torres is genius!

21 goals in his first season, not bad eh?

21 so far spot mate :D , I'm betting he'll be the first Liverpool player in the 21st century to score more than 20 premiership goals and over the 30 goal mark for the season :o .

whats that now, 24 for the season, 19 in the league?

only two behind ronaldo in the league i think.

dont get me wrong i think he is a great player and would have loved to see him at united, but he has scored 19 league goals yes but 17 have been at anfield which means he is a homer,when he starts scoring away and getting the goals against the big 3 then he will have proved himself.

hope he doesnt go the same way as bennt macarthy at blackburn 25 goals first season, this season tightly marked hardly scored.

dont get me wrong i think he is a great player and would have loved to see him at united, but he has scored 19 league goals yes but 17 have been at anfield which means he is a homer,when he starts scoring away and getting the goals against the big 3 then he will have proved himself.

hope he doesnt go the same way as bennt macarthy at blackburn 25 goals first season, this season tightly marked hardly scored.

he has been out injured as well nev. twice. has made a few apperances as a sub. i think he's missed 6-7 away games this year in all comp's

but i agree that he isnt that sharp in away games. a lot i think is more down to rafas tactics away from home. one up front (which is torres).

this tends to mean that he's man marked by two full backs. if you watched the game on sunday it was exactly what happened. it created a load space for babel, kuyt and gerrard to create chances.

at anfield we are a lot more attack minded. so its not surprising really that most of his goals are scored at anfield.

hopefully he'll grab a few against you lot :o

the big 3

*sniggers*

honestly he is one of two at liverpool who would walk in our team.

our game tis month is a huge one but i think we will just edge it.

as for the big 3 well are you good enough to step up :o

Don't forget Torres' first goal in the premiership was against Chelsea :o .

I thought we started like a house on fire last night and when Torres got the first after 7 minutes I was looking forward to a shed load of goals. But credit to West Ham who made a good fight of things and but for a few late goals the scoreline would have looked o-k for them.

So back to back league hat-ricks at Anfield for Torres , when was the last time a Liverpool player achieved that :o ?? ( help me out lads :D ). I wonder what the odds are on Fernando being the premierships top scorer and to get another hat-rick against the geordies on Saturday then :D ..... 10 more games to go !!!.

he has been out injured as well nev. twice. has made a few apperances as a sub. i think he's missed 6-7 away games this year in all comp's

but i agree that he isnt that sharp in away games. a lot i think is more down to rafas tactics away from home. one up front (which is torres).

this tends to mean that he's man marked by two full backs. if you watched the game on sunday it was exactly what happened. it created a load space for babel, kuyt and gerrard to create chances.

Totally agree Kopite :D .

Last night Rafa's tactics allowed Arbeloa and Riise to bomb forward at every opportunity which led to loads of space created for Torres ( which led to his hat-trick :D ).

But when we play away from home Rafa has the mentality that we shall not be beat and the full backs have less licence to bomb on forward and have to defend more :o .

So back to back league hat-ricks at Anfield for Torres , when was the last time a Liverpool player achieved that :o ?? ( help me out lads :D ).

Answer time :D :

TORRES HONOURED BY CLUB RECORD

250207-middlesbrough-torres-gerrard-07.jpgFernando Torres today expressed his joy after his second successive Anfield treble saw him match a Reds record set over 60 years ago. The sensational Spaniard took his tally to 24 for the season to follow up his match-winning hat-trick against Middlesbrough with another in the 4-0 demolition of West Ham United last night.

It is a feat last achieved by Jackie Balmer way back in November 1946 and one El Nino feels extremely privileged to have equalled.

"I only learned of the record after the game and it is a big honour for me," said Torres.

"This club has a wonderful history so to be a part of that is very special and it is something I am very proud of.

"But it is also a record for everyone at the club because it would be impossible for me to score goals if it was not for my team-mates, the manager, the coaching staff, everyone."

Torres has fast become a Kop favourite during what can only be described as a remarkable first season in English football.

He has already achieved God-like status with the followers in the crowd and admits he was left stunned by the standing ovation he received on being substituted moments after notching his third treble for the Reds.

"It was incredible," he said.

"The roar from the crowd was fantastic and it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

"I feel really lucky and also humble to be loved by the crowd but what I would say is that I love them also.

"They have supported me since I first came to the club and I want to keep on scoring goals for them.

"The Liverpool fans are special and it is an honour for me to play for them, so if I can make them happy then I will be happy."

The Spain international's exploits were all the more impressive given that he had been a doubt ahead of the clash with the Hammers with a bug, and boss Rafael Benitez was quick to praise his in-form hitman.

He said: "Fernando told me he wanted to play and that was the most important thing. We thought he might not have been able to but he assured me he would be fine and he went onto the pitch and proved it.

"To score hat-tricks in consecutive home games is a fantastic achievement and everyone at the club is very proud of that. Fernando is on fire at the moment."

Torres is genius!

21 so far spot mate :D , I'm betting he'll be the first Liverpool player in the 21st century to score more than 20 premiership goals and over the 30 goal mark for the season :o .

Only 18 in the league Kopite , 3 in the Carling cup and 3 in the Champions league which gives him 24 over all second in the charts to Ronaldo who has got 30.

Torres is genius!

Only 18 in the league Kopite , 3 in the Carling cup and 3 in the Champions league which gives him 24 over all second in the charts to Ronaldo who has got 30.

But not for long eh !!! :D:D:D .

Edited by scousemouse

LIVERPOOL 4 - 0 WEST HAM

LFC V HAMMERS: THE VERDICT

Fernando Torres made it 18 league goals for the season as his hat-trick helped Liverpool to a 4-0 win over West Ham United. Here's the best of the post-match reaction.

060308-inter-01.jpg

The local paper

That's 24 goals in just 33 games for Torres. His treble last night brought Anfield to its feet and the ovation Torres was afforded as he left the scene of his triumph was a fitting tribute to a player who is every inch the archetypal Liverpool hero. Fearless, energetic, combative and inspirational, Torres already ranks alongside even Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher in the affections of the Kop “ and he has only been here for seven months.

The Echo

The player

I only learned of the record after the game and it is a big honour for me. This club has a wonderful history so to be a part of that is very special and it is something I am very proud of. But it is also a record for everyone at the club because it would be impossible for me to score goals if it was not for my team-mates, the manager, the coaching staff, everyone. I feel really lucky and also humble to be loved by the crowd but what I would say is that I love them also. They have supported me since I first came to the club and I want to keep on scoring goals for them. The Liverpool fans are special and it is an honour for me to play for them, so if I can make them happy then I will be happy.

Fernando Torres

The boss

To score hat-tricks in consecutive home games is a fantastic achievement and everyone at the club is very proud of that. Fernando is on fire at the moment. We are playing with a lot of confidence now. We started the season well, but at this crucial stage of the season we are playing really well and you can see the team operating as a team, that is really important. We have three more points and we are closer now, it depends on us. If we can beat Newcastle we will approach the Inter game with a lot of confidence.

Rafa Benitez

The former player

Fernando Torres is incredible and Rafa is right when he says he's on fire. He has had a fantastic debut season at Anfield and what a signing he has been for Liverpool. I thought that was one of our best displays of the season and it was a big win. We have started a nice little run now and we need to keep it going.

Alan Kennedy

The fan

This was a very good performance by the lads. We were solid at the back with Martin Skrtel excellent throughout, dominant in midfield with Mascherano his usual self and Alonso controlling things. Ryan Babel again showed flashes of his talent on the left wing and Stevie had a very good game, and what a goal! As for the man of the moment, Fernando Torres. What more can be said about this boy? He is simply world class.

Scousemouse , Bangkok Thailand

No suprise here from Rushie :o :

RUSH BACKING REDS TO EDGE OUT BLUES

300304-Ian_Rush_01.jpgIan Rush is backing Liverpool to overcome Everton in the fight for that much coveted fourth placed spot in the Premier League. The Reds legend believes his former club has a much stronger squad and is confident Rafael Benitez's men will edge out their Merseyside rivals for the Champions League qualification place.

"The big talking point on Merseyside at the moment is the battle for fourth place and I'm backing Liverpool to hold off the challenge from Everton and take the honours," said Rush.

"There is obviously a lot at stake because not only will the winners get to have a crack at qualifying for next season's Champions League, they will also have the local bragging rights which is very important in this part of the world.

"Everton have done well this season and it is credit to David Moyes and his players that they are challenging.

"They are in good form at the moment and I am sure confidence will be high at Goodison. But the big thing for me is that when Liverpool really need to win games they more often than not do so.

"They have proven this time and time again in Europe and now they have a similar challenge at home I'm sure they will rise to it.

"The key for me is Liverpool's next three games. After playing West Ham at Anfield they then have two more home games against Newcastle and Reading.

"All three of these are must win games and all three are against teams you would expect Liverpool to beat. So if they can take a maximum nine points from these fixtures it will set them up nicely.

"Both clubs have big European games on the horizon – Everton meet Florentina in the UEFA Cup on Thursday and Liverpool play Inter Milan a week today – and that means both will have to fall back on their squad strength.

"You cannot play the same starting line-up week in, week out in the modern game because injuries, suspensions and loss of form will always take their toll.

"So when this does happen you have to be able to call on players from your squad to come in and do a job and I just feel Liverpool have the edge when it comes down to this.

"Liverpool also look like they are coming back into form at the right time, particularly after winning for the first time at Bolton under Rafa Benitez, and although there will be a few twists and turns along the way I'm backing them to take fourth place.

"But, first things first, they have to go out and beat West Ham in their game in hand because if they do that it will put them back in the driving seat."