Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

top european transfer targets this summer are going to be suarez, cavani, neymar, falcao, bale. not sure what our owners or our club could do to stop suarez wanting to go if a big bid came in from barca or madrid or whoever.

Yep, and Man City would be completely crazy not to throw themselves into the mix on that one too. They can offer at least as much money as anyone else, and he doesn't even have to move home. Guarantees of silverware may be less solid, but i'm sure they can handsomely remunerate for that risk. How important is money versus trophies? And how important is club loyalty versus personal career goals? All to be revealed...

If he does leave it won't be to United, CIty or anyone else in EPL. Money is really an add on for him. He loves to win and hates to lose, that is what might see him moving on. If we strengthen in the summer I think he will give it 1 more year.

top european transfer targets this summer are going to be suarez, cavani, neymar, falcao, bale. not sure what our owners or our club could do to stop suarez wanting to go if a big bid came in from barca or madrid or whoever.

Yep, and Man City would be completely crazy not to throw themselves into the mix on that one too. They can offer at least as much money as anyone else, and he doesn't even have to move home. Guarantees of silverware may be less solid, but i'm sure they can handsomely remunerate for that risk. How important is money versus trophies? And how important is club loyalty versus personal career goals? All to be revealed...

If he does leave it won't be to United, CIty or anyone else in EPL. Money is really an add on for him. He loves to win and hates to lose, that is what might see him moving on. If we strengthen in the summer I think he will give it 1 more year.

I'd bet you're right. He seems to like Rodgers and is getting along well in Liverpool. I'd guess another year.

I don't think he'll go to United for a number of reasons, but see no reason why he couldn't move to City. More money and more opportunity to win, both of which i'm sure would be compelling enough reasons to potentially attract him away from LFC. Plus as i say, he doesn't have to move home.

I don't think he'll go to United for a number of reasons, but see no reason why he couldn't move to City. More money and more opportunity to win, both of which i'm sure would be compelling enough reasons to potentially attract him away from LFC. Plus as i say, he doesn't have to move home.

I really don't think he would go to City for money and I think there will be much bigger teams with greater prestige in front of City wanting to sign him. He could be immortilised as a God at Barc or Real and it will be one of them he would go to. He is too good for City as a club.

i don't really follow this line of argument - is sergio aguero too good for city as a club? yaya toure? vincent kompany?

Yep that was probably a bit arrogant on my behalf - my point is he should be playing for clubs with rich history, he is one of the best ever in my opinion. Why would he play for City when he could play for Real, Barca?

I don't think any of those players are too good for city, they fit right in. They are there for the money, are they playing for city because of who the club are, I don't think so.

Edited by BangrakBob

kompany, toure and aguero all seem like model pros and good guys though - certainly can't fault them for attitude or application. so should they be playing for nottingham forest? that's a club with a proud history.

real madrid also pay the highest wages in the world i think. so do players not go there for money as well?

• Like 1

With regards Suarez not being swayed so much with the money side of things, you guys may be right, but i will say this, over the years there have been many a player who i would have sworn would not be the type to put money first, but who has ended up proving me totally wrong, so i am a bit cynical on that front. Same goes for the club loyalty business. We'll see...

at the end of the day it's a job, with a finite timescale. you've got ten years to earn as much as possible to see you and your family right for your retirement. nobody in the real world stays in a $50k a year job when they're offered the same job at another company on $100k a year do they? we fans expect too much loyalty because we're fans. for the vast, vast majority of players it's just a job.

• Like 2

at the end of the day it's a job, with a finite timescale. you've got ten years to earn as much as possible to see you and your family right for your retirement. nobody in the real world stays in a $50k a year job when they're offered the same job at another company on $100k a year do they? we fans expect too much loyalty because we're fans. for the vast, vast majority of players it's just a job.

And a bloody good job at that, getting paid playing a sport you love to play there is no better job than that imho, to many of these players need a reality check as some cannot be a**ed to put a shift in for the 90 mins or so each week they have to play.

Agreed but it is surely about a player finding the best balance between what the club offers in terms of their footballing career and what the club offers in terms of money. I don't think players always find this balance in their choice, and end up getting swayed pretty much solely by the money. Bit sad in my opinion but there you go.

Agreed but it is surely about a player finding the best balance between what the club offers in terms of their footballing career and what the club offers in terms of money. I don't think players always find this balance in their choice, and end up getting swayed pretty much solely by the money. Bit sad in my opinion but there you go.

yeah it's a balancing act of course. like i'm sure many of the brasilians playing in russia these days didn't have that as their first choice of career destination but the money is obviously key to that.

someone like gerrard's had a near-perfect career really, aside from no league winner's medal - played for his boyhood club, won a bunch of cups and medals, got some amazing memories, been paid a fortune.

Playing football is not a job,for a hard days graft you get payed <deleted> all these lot are living the dream and getting payed silly money to turn up at training every day......i have to pay to go to the gym!

kompany, toure and aguero all seem like model pros and good guys though - certainly can't fault them for attitude or application. so should they be playing for nottingham forest? that's a club with a proud history.

real madrid also pay the highest wages in the world i think. so do players not go there for money as well?

Sure I don't doubt them as pro footballers, and their efforts on the park. I'm not saying who I think they should be playing for or not, but you know why they turned up at City because of the obscene amounts of money they were offered no? City became the team it is by offering obscene amounts of money to players, likewise Chelsea. This attracted quality players, not the clubs in my opinion anyway.

Real pay high wages but you would find it hard to argue against a player going there for that reason.

Also for many players, it is about winning trophies with any team they think they have chance with, City would be a good bet for that, and that is far enough too.

My point was Suarez is a loyal player, he believes in the game, and respect for his club. He makes enough money playing football to be able to make a choice not based on money because he loves the game more than money. Although i think he will get paid more than most in the end, when an almost inevitable move does happen.

I really believe he would not play for another club in the EPL. I also believe he should go down in history as a player who played for one of the worlds great teams cause he is one the best ever. Still, as Rix pointed out......it is very possible it won't be the first time I could swear blind on a player's personality and they go and make me look a tit!

I know if I had a choice I would prefer to play for Real/Barca/United/Milan/Juventus rather than City and the finances couldn't change that. You could use the argument if a team came in and offered you doubled your wages would you not go? You may get injured and your career end so take it while you can. Well I'd argue I'm making more than enough money living my dream and to walk out at the likes of the Bernabeu or San Siro in that shirt is worth more in memories of life and career than any money. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, your career could end at a moments notice but life goes on just like for the rest of us. Check out the Feb edition of FourFourTwo, good article on players whose careers were cut short.

Edited by BangrakBob

Why would he play for City when he could play for Real, Barca?

Because the EPL is the best League in the world. OK the press are the pits but the majority of players around the world at some point, want to challege themselves and play in the prem. Then you have to chose a team that has the potential for trophy's. I don't think anyone can argue that City aren't up there being able to challenge domestically. A few tweaks and I think we can improve in the Champs League.

I don't think any of those players are too good for city, they fit right in. They are there for the money, are they playing for city because of who the club are, I don't think so.

Toure and Kompany came at the start of the project before we had won anything but they believed the club had the intent and were serious with the vision. There's nothing we can do about the past but that is what it is, the past. These players have a chance of making history for the club and being legends. As for the money, we could argue all day about players from many teams getting paid astronomical amounts but if you are gonna get high wages, why not go to a club who look like they have a chance of trophy's.

I also think your a bit harsh on Aguero. He is one of the best professionals in the game with a great attitude, that I have seen for a long time and could easily play for Real or Barca.

What people forget is there are shed loads of brilliant players the world over and they can't all got to Real or Barca.

Sure I don't doubt them as pro footballers, and their efforts on the park. I'm not saying who I think they should be playing for or not, but you know why they turned up at City because of the obscene amounts of money they were offered no? City became the team it is by offering obscene amounts of money to players, likewise Chelsea. This attracted quality players, not the clubs in my opinion anyway.

Real pay high wages but you would find it hard to argue against a player going there for that reason.

Also for many players, it is about winning trophies with any team they think they have chance with, City would be a good bet for that, and that is far enough too.

My point was Suarez is a loyal player, he believes in the game, and respect for his club. He makes enough money playing football to be able to make a choice not based on money because he loves the game more than money. Although i think he will get paid more than most in the end, when an almost inevitable move does happen.

I really believe he would not play for another club in the EPL. I also believe he should go down in history as a player who played for one of the worlds great teams cause he is one the best ever. Still, as Rix pointed out......it is very possible it won't be the first time I could swear blind on a player's personality and they go and make me look a tit!

I know if I had a choice I would prefer to play for Real/Barca/United/Milan/Juventus rather than City and the finances couldn't change that. You could use the argument if a team came in and offered you doubled your wages would you not go? You may get injured and your career end so take it while you can. Well I'd argue I'm making more than enough money living my dream and to walk out at the likes of the Bernabeu or San Siro in that shirt is worth more in memories of life and career than any money. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, your career could end at a moments notice but life goes on just like for the rest of us. Check out the Feb edition of FourFourTwo, good article on players whose careers were cut short.

I remember when Gareth Barry turned your lot down for City, and everyone on the Liverpool thread were castigating him as being only greedy. I remember him at the time saying he was sold on the project City had in mind, and that he felt he had a better chance winning trophies at City. At the time that just brought cynical replies. Turned out to be reality, and although I am not a huge fan of Barry, he is the consummate professional, who was subsequently proved to be right

I remember when Gareth Barry turned your lot down for City, and everyone on the Liverpool thread were castigating him as being only greedy. I remember him at the time saying he was sold on the project City had in mind, and that he felt he had a better chance winning trophies at City. At the time that just brought cynical replies. Turned out to be reality, and although I am not a huge fan of Barry, he is the consummate professional, who was subsequently proved to be right

Stop dreaming, if Liverpool had offered him more money than City then he would have gone there, end of.

Stop dreaming, if Liverpool had offered him more money than City then he would have gone there, end of.

Don't know who the dreamer is Alfie cos we will never know for sure if he would have gone to Liverpool for more money but one thing we do know for sure is that the chance of winning trohpies was a correct one, cos since then he has got an FA Cup medal and a prem title

Probably sounds like I'm trying to wind up City fans but I'm really not.

You're allowed your opinion. I personally think it's harsh but you're allowed it.

Hey Bob. Just noticed that whilst I was replying to your post, you edited it and took the above line out. Why was that?

The problem with Liverpool... And this has been the case not just with these owners but previous also... Is that they think they can bring in a few decent players, surround them with average players and somehow get by. The league is more competitive now and you need to spend money if you want to succeed. I don't think they have pockets deep enough tbh. The stadium situation still hasn't changed either.

As for Suarez if he does say he wants out its not like he can bend us over a barrel that much as he only signed a new contract last season so if he goes it will be on our terms like Torres left. But tbh if the owners are not going to show some ambition and spend what's needed they may as well sell him, get what they can and then sit back and enjoy mediocrity.

• Like 1

I think some of you guys are putting too much value on a clubs history. Surely the top 2 factors for most players choosing a team would be, chances of winning trophies and money. If history is so important why don't more players sign for Forest?

I think some of you guys are putting too much value on a clubs history. Surely the top 2 factors for most players choosing a team would be, chances of winning trophies and money. If history is so important why don't more players sign for Forest?

I think the jist of what is being said is that if it wasn't for the big bucks that obviously buy players and silverware then the top players would go straight to the big clubs with the history to back them up, the cases in point being Liverpool and Manchester United.

• Like 1

They don't sign for Forest because as i said before, ideally players want to go to the club that will pay them the most money available, and the club that gives them the best chances of winning stuff, but most players bar a few lucky ones,end up having to strike a balance between these two concerns, and also the concern of wanting to play for a club with history. Forest right now offers the history but not much of the other stuff.

39.gif A chav playing down a team having history, now why would that be i wonder 5.gif

39.gif A chav playing down a team having history, now why would that be i wonder 5.gif

Where would you place Spurs Alfie? A club with or without history?

I didn't take it as mjj playing down a club with history, just pointing out that maybe some people are putting too much emphasis on it when it isn't the only deciding factor when a player comes to choose a club. Do you disagree with that?

"Stop dreaming, if Liverpool had offered him more money than City then he would have gone there, end of."

this is actually correct. he wanted to move to liverpool and supposedly sent steven gerrard a text explaining that city had offered him 2.5 to 3 times the money liverpool had and he simply couldn't say no. was his last big contract and retirement package so what could he do?

"Stop dreaming, if Liverpool had offered him more money than City then he would have gone there, end of."

this is actually correct. he wanted to move to liverpool and supposedly sent steven gerrard a text explaining that city had offered him 2.5 to 3 times the money liverpool had and he simply couldn't say no. was his last big contract and retirement package so what could he do?

That still doesn't mean he would have gone to Liverpool though stevie. Just like any friends do, you send each other texts, Gerrard was asking what he was doing and he simply replied that City had made him an offer that was too good to refuse. The same thing happened to me and mates were texting me when I accepted a job in Saudi. This happens in normal day-to-day life.

Or are you inplying that Barry was trying to get Gerrard to take that message to the board in an attempt to get Liverpool to up the offer?

That still doesn't mean he would have gone to Liverpool though stevie. Just like any friends do, you send each other texts, Gerrard was asking what he was doing and he simply replied that City had made him an offer that was too good to refuse. The same thing happened to me and mates were texting me when I accepted a job in Saudi. This happens in normal day-to-day life.

Or are you inplying that Barry was trying to get Gerrard to take that message to the board in an attempt to get Liverpool to up the offer?

no, i'm saying barry was texting a mate who he had hoped to be playing and working alongside to say sorry, won't be coming after all. gerrard hadn't asked barry anything.

Where would you place Spurs Alfie? A club with or without history?

I didn't take it as mjj playing down a club with history, just pointing out that maybe some people are putting too much emphasis on it when it isn't the only deciding factor when a player comes to choose a club. Do you disagree with that?

4.gif A city bod now siding with Chelse about history being overrated, now why would that be i wonder 39.gif24.gif

• Like 1