Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

So Augero maliciously does a two footed assault with his sprigs and an apology is ok because it was his first offence. Why is that okay? I mean if you have no priors and you try to take someone's head clean off with your boot should an apology really suffice?

Totally different altogether bob.

Firstly, it was Luiz ass that Aguero stomped on, not his head. So unless Luiz head was up his ass, it would have been difficult for Aguero to have taken his head clean off.

Secondly, it was part of a tackle between Luiz and Aguero and was part of a combined movement where he followed through with his feet. Biting somebody is a totally different situation.

However, I do think that albeit it was a totally barmy thing to do by Suarez, some of the press and pundits etc are making a bit of a meal of it.

I suggested the community 'punishment' as repayment to the club, a duty if you like. If you really believe he needs psychological help, he should be suspended until a doctor feels he is cured as it would suggest he is a danger to others. Personally I don't think it's a psychological problem, in the words of Brian's mum, he a very naughty boy.

Aguero was different as it was out of character, but Suarez has done it twice now. As I said before once is mistake, twice is stupid or they just don't give a sh,t. Either way he needs a wake up call.

Also with Aguero it was an ugly lunge, but unfortunately it is part of the game now. A bite is completely different. I would put it on the same level as a punch, headbutt or such.

laugh.png Great banter on this topic, I'm not taking the p*ss here I enjoyed your reply.

So Augero maliciously does a two footed assault with his sprigs and an apology is ok because it was his first offence. Why is that okay? I mean if you have no priors and you try to take someone's head clean off with your boot should an apology really suffice?

Totally different altogether bob.

Firstly, it was Luiz ass that Aguero stomped on, not his head. So unless Luiz head was up his ass, it would have been difficult for Aguero to have taken his head clean off.

Secondly, it was part of a tackle between Luiz and Aguero and was part of a combined movement where he followed through with his feet. Biting somebody is a totally different situation.

However, I do think that albeit it was a totally barmy thing to do by Suarez, some of the press and pundits etc are making a bit of a meal of it.

Of course it is Boj as he is your player.

I expected someone would pick me up on the arse not head thing, but my point regarding the head was not related to the arse incident.

However, it was the potential dislodging of testicles from the 2 foot boot boy stomp (lung my arse) which should be highlighted here, not the head in his arse which most likely is located in the anal region.

I respect the fact you support your man, but I mean really "part of a tackle" what tackle? "part of a combined movement" okay so he say the ball on the other side of his body while lying on the ground and mistook the gonads on this side of Luiz's body for a ball that needed to be contested.

Agreed the press are feeding as per usual these days.

Btw I might of had a drink this even....whistling.gif

Biting someone is a criminal offence!

What is Actual Bodily Harm?

Assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH) is a criminal offence which is governed by Section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act.

In this case the assault or battery needs to cause harm to the person’s body. The harm is not necessarily serious but it would need to be more than a shove which would remain common assault. Harm such as bruises, scratches and bite marks is sufficient.

What needs to be remembered when dealing with ABH is that there only needs to be intention to apply unlawful force not the intention to cause actual bodily harm. If someone pushes another he will have intended to apply unlawful force. If the person who was pushed then bangs his head this will be charged under Section 47 even if the defendant did not intend the victim to hurt their head.

Will there be a prison sentence?

ABH carries a maximum sentence of five years.

As with common assault, if someone is being charged for the first time it is unlikely that they will go to prison with a fine the usual outcome. Again, if the offender has previous convictions or if they were proven to have had a particular motivation for the attack, specifically if it is racially motivated this could however lead to a prison sentence.

Edited by uptheos

Assault causing actual bodily harm (ABH) is a criminal offence which is governed by Section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act.

In this case the assault or battery needs to cause harm to the person’s body. The harm is not necessarily serious but it would need to be more than a shove which would remain common assault. Harm such as bruises, scratches and bite marks is sufficient.

What needs to be remembered when dealing with ABH is that there only needs to be intention to apply unlawful force not the intention to cause actual bodily harm. If someone pushes another he will have intended to apply unlawful force. If the person who was pushed then bangs his head this will be charged under Section 47 even if the defendant did not intend the victim to hurt their head.

As with common assault, if someone is being charged for the first time it is unlikely that they will go to prison with a fine the usual outcome. Again, if the offender has previous convictions or if they were proven to have had a particular motivation for the attack, specifically if it is racially motivated this could however lead to a prison sentence.

so is every studs-up challenge, punch, headbutt and elbow then really. notwithstanding that the referee examined ivanovic's arm and there weren't any bite marks. suarez might be a mental, but he isn't a vampire. he didn't actually draw blood.

what's your point here? that every boxer should be arrested and charged with ABH? rugby players too?

• Like 1

so is every studs-up challenge, punch, headbutt and elbow then really. notwithstanding that the referee examined ivanovic's arm and there weren't any bite marks. suarez might be a mental, but he isn't a vampire. he didn't actually draw blood.

what's your point here? that every boxer should be arrested and charged with ABH? rugby players too?

No, someone said community service is for a criminal offence and I'm just pointing out that biting is a criminal offence, regardless of all the other points you quite rightly make. Indeed in the past the police have looked into many of the things that you mention, to see if they should press charges.

Personally, I think he was more hungry than angry. biggrin.png

Here's what Mark Lawrenson thinks

_57770254_lawro_206.jpgmotd.pngMark LawrensonFootball Analyst

"What Luis Suarez did has absolutely no place in football and he is going to get - and deserves - an extremely lengthy ban. He's a world-class player but he gives you world-class trouble."

Edited by uptheos

mark lawrenson is a total and utter clown though. the line "has absolutely no place in football" is #3 from the lazy unthinking pundit's book of lazy football cliches.

Who was idolized during his playing career at Liverpool

mark lawrenson is a total and utter clown though. the line "has absolutely no place in football" is #3 from the lazy unthinking pundit's book of lazy football cliches.

was a great player. but is an utter clown of a human being and an appalling 'pundit'. there's a lot of it about. see also ronnie whelan, steve mcmahon, jim beglin, ray houghton. . . .the list of ex-liverpool players now making a living in the media from slaughtering the club rather than supporting and helping it is pretty endless.

was a great player. but is an utter clown of a human being and an appalling 'pundit'. there's a lot of it about. see also ronnie whelan, steve mcmahon, jim beglin, ray houghton. . . .the list of ex-liverpool players now making a living in the media from slaughtering the club rather than supporting and helping it is pretty endless.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying Stevie. From reading all the threads over the seasons, it's not just confined to Liverpool, it seems that a pundit who says something negative about any club is usually called rubbish and they don't know what they're talking about. Same applies to referees. Make a bad decision against their club and the supporters will call them crap for as long as they ref. It's the way of football, always has been. biggrin.png

So what are you saying Steve, Mark Lawrenson is wrong and there IS a place for biting in football today?

As for complaining about the attitude of ex players, surely once they changed their jobs they must become neutral in their assessments/comments.

You can expect Liverpool Management, Players and, above all, the Supporters to be totally biased in favour of their club but a pundit is there to give a balanced and totally unbiased view of any incident as they see it to the whole of the football audience, not just their ex clubs and their supporters. If they were to obviously favour their ex clubs it would anger the majority of their armchair audience and they wouldn't last in the job very long.

What I don't get about an incident like this is the over-reactions. The calls for Liverpool to do the "right thing" and get rid of the player. When has any club done that? Has United done it when they had similar crazy actions by their players?

Yes it's stupid, immature, mental, despicable, etc. I was stupefied that he would bite someone again after he's already done it once and been banned 7 matches for it. It's honestly quite pathetic to open himself up to another huge controversy for doing the same thing.

But other players get off scot-free for breaking other players' legs if the ref happened to see it and didn't give a red card right then. They can end other players' careers and get a customary 3 match ban and be back playing.

So, in the UK:

Violent conduct including breaking another's leg = ah just dust it off son. 3 match ban for offender

Immature, boyish nibble that doesn't even break the skin = That's horrible! 3 matches is surely not enough for this ungentlemanly action!

I would compare it to spitting in someone's face. Alcaraz did this and got a 3 match ban. Why is this so much worse? No harm was done physically to Ivanovic. I understand the bit about it being an off the ball incident and not part of the game like rough tackling but spitting is in the same category.

Biting; It's ungentlemanly, it's stupid, it's ridiculous, it's cowardly, it's crazy, etc. Just like spitting at someone. I don't think he did it to harm the other player, he did it just to be a prick.

There's no defending it, but because it's just not done, biting someone, but spare me the over-exaggerated outrage. Suarez only has himself to blame, but I think everyone's enjoying hyping this up so much because it's Suarez.

I agree with much of what you have said.

Forget all other clubs, Man U and Liverpool are without a doubt the biggest English club names around the world and I'm not convinced they really want to be associated with pricks for obvious reasons. It will be interesting to see where this goes, as far as Liverpool F.C. and it's owners are concerned.

Much as I hate to say it, Gary Neville is probably the best pundit around these days. I don't always agree with what he says, but more often than not I do. And more than with ex-Liverpool players who largely are annoying, like StevieH always says.

He always puts things in their proper perspective, even on issues like diving (find the video on youtube about that subject).

Gary Neville on Suarez:

"But I would never for one minute think, 'throw the man overboard'. The idea Suarez can never play for Liverpool again or the idea he should be thrown out of the country, for me, is nonsense and an overreaction."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8666374/Monday-Night-Football-Gary-Neville-says-Luis-Suarez-can-stay-at-Liverpool

• Like 2

So what are you saying Steve, Mark Lawrenson is wrong and there IS a place for biting in football today?

As for complaining about the attitude of ex players, surely once they changed their jobs they must become neutral in their assessments/comments.

You can expect Liverpool Management, Players and, above all, the Supporters to be totally biased in favour of their club but a pundit is there to give a balanced and totally unbiased view of any incident as they see it to the whole of the football audience, not just their ex clubs and their supporters. If they were to obviously favour their ex clubs it would anger the majority of their armchair audience and they wouldn't last in the job very long.

no, i'm saying mark lawrenson is a shallow career-centric berk whose football punditry and 'analysis' skills are in direct contradiction to his on-pitch abilities as a player. how is 'biting has no place in football' any kind of informed comment? it's blatantly obvious that it doesn't as evidenced by the facts that suarez has already been fined and will receive a ban for violent conduct, as per the rules. still, rapier-like insight there 'lawro'.

compare and contrast with the intelligent comment on the issue from john barnes - an ex-player who actually thinks before he opens his mouth: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/luis-suarez-bite-sacking-him-would-be-ridiculous-says-liverpool-great-john-barnes-8582417.html

i'm not asking for biased commentary from ex-players really, just moderately intelligent and thought-provoking would be a start. to show they actually give a damn about the game like the fans do, and that football doesn't just have to be made up of lazy, cliched soundbites that make for attention-grabbing tabloid headlines.

and to prove i'm not club-biased on this, i'll even say that the best piece of intelligent comment on this has come from gary neville - as is becoming increasingly the case these days, annoyingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AC7Q-rR-l4Y

• Like 1

What I don't get about an incident like this is the over-reactions. The calls for Liverpool to do the "right thing" and get rid of the player. When has any club done that? Has United done it when they had similar crazy actions by their players?

Yes it's stupid, immature, mental, despicable, etc. I was stupefied that he would bite someone again after he's already done it once and been banned 7 matches for it. It's honestly quite pathetic to open himself up to another huge controversy for doing the same thing.

But other players get off scot-free for breaking other players' legs if the ref happened to see it and didn't give a red card right then. They can end other players' careers and get a customary 3 match ban and be back playing.

So, in the UK:

Violent conduct including breaking another's leg = ah just dust it off son. 3 match ban for offender

Immature, boyish nibble that doesn't even break the skin = That's horrible! 3 matches is surely not enough for this ungentlemanly action!

I would compare it to spitting in someone's face. Alcaraz did this and got a 3 match ban. Why is this so much worse? No harm was done physically to Ivanovic. I understand the bit about it being an off the ball incident and not part of the game like rough tackling but spitting is in the same category.

Biting; It's ungentlemanly, it's stupid, it's ridiculous, it's cowardly, it's crazy, etc. Just like spitting at someone. I don't think he did it to harm the other player, he did it just to be a prick.

There's no defending it, but because it's just not done, biting someone, but spare me the over-exaggerated outrage. Suarez only has himself to blame, but I think everyone's enjoying hyping this up so much because it's Suarez.

Forget all other clubs, Man U and Liverpool are without a doubt the biggest English club names around the world and I'm not convinced they really want to be associated with pricks for obvious reasons. It will be interesting to see where this goes, as far as Liverpool F.C. and it's owners are concerned.

Let's be clear though, though he acts like a tit on the pitch at times, he's one of those who's the complete opposite in real life. Very solid family man, married his childhoold sweetheart, pretty quiet and reserved, gets on well with others and enjoys a laugh, etc. The manager and the other players know his true character and what he's like in real life, and you never hear anything bad said about him other than the stupid stuff he does while playing an actual match.

There's no reason to see "where this goes" as far as LFC are concerned. They've already said they want to keep him, and believe in his contrite attitude towards this incident, and will move on from it.

Unrelated to this, there will undoubtedly be other clubs thinking about bidding him because of his quality and because of Liverpool's position in the league these days.

It's like people who thought Bellamy was a huge jerk because on the pitch he was always getting into it with others, and he had one or two legal troubles when a bit younger. But if you look at him now in real life, and see the things he's done, he's far more admirable than a lot of other players are these days.

edit: I'm not saying he is a prick all day every day, just saying he was "being" a prick.

Edited by Jimjim

So, in the UK:

Let's be clear though, though he acts like a tit on the pitch at times, he's one of those who's the complete opposite in real life. Very solid family man, married his childhoold sweetheart, pretty quiet and reserved, gets on well with others and enjoys a laugh, etc. The manager and the other players know his true character and what he's like in real life, and you never hear anything bad said about him other than the stupid stuff he does while playing an actual match.

There's no reason to see "where this goes" as far as LFC are concerned. They've already said they want to keep him, and believe in his contrite attitude towards this incident, and will move on from it.

Unrelated to this, there will undoubtedly be other clubs thinking about bidding him because of his quality and because of Liverpool's position in the league these days.

It's like people who thought Bellamy was a huge jerk because on the pitch he was always getting into it with others, and he had one or two legal troubles when a bit younger. But if you look at him now in real life, and see the things he's done, he's far more admirable than a lot of other players are these days.

edit: I'm not saying he is a prick all day every day, just saying he was "being" a prick.

yes, bellamy's a good call. he had some sessions with a psychologist when at liverpool and it seemed to calm him down and sort him out a lot. i think suarez probably needs professional help to address this red mist he seems to have, and in dr steve peters liverpool has one of the best around to perhaps help him do that.

So, in the UK:

OK, but he was being a prick on TV around the world. I like Suarez, I've often said he's probably the best in the league and it's too bad this sort of stuff will overshadow his abilities. Of course clubs will be lining up for his skills, he's a great talent, but his actions might have stopped Liverpool trying too hard to keep him,

Edited by uptheos

Get rid of him you must be jesting, yes he has a nasty streak, but the premier league needs stars like Suarez i am first to admit he is a great player, maybe he needs to come to united i am sure fergie could straighten him outbiggrin.png

• Like 2

Get rid of him you must be jesting, yes he has a nasty streak, but the premier league needs stars like Suarez i am first to admit he is a great player, maybe he needs to come to united i am sure fergie could straighten him outbiggrin.png

C,mon nev give the others a break, haven't United demoralized them enough?