Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

you can't say "jury's out" on markovic and then call can a "miss". same with the two spanish full-backs <deleted>. i think jury's out on all this summer's signings at the moment but the historic ones are probably all about right.

and to be brutally honest, i don't think you can call it purely rodgers' transfer record. because of this nonsensical committee thing we have going on.

I agree, not necessarily my opinion just something I saw and posted, so wondered if others agree or not?

I did ask Liverpool fans on here last season if they are happy with Mignolet and the overall consensus was 'yes'.

I wonder if that opinion still stands and if not, why not?

you can't say "jury's out" on markovic and then call can a "miss". same with the two spanish full-backs <deleted>. i think jury's out on all this summer's signings at the moment but the historic ones are probably all about right.

and to be brutally honest, i don't think you can call it purely rodgers' transfer record. because of this nonsensical committee thing we have going on.

I agree, not necessarily my opinion just something I saw and posted, so wondered if others agree or not?

I did ask Liverpool fans on here last season if they are happy with Mignolet and the overall consensus was 'yes'.

he's been hugely hit and miss but is ultimately a disappointment - particularly when compared with the guy who went before him, pepe reina. mignolet seems to have the confidence of a newborn foal, the penalty box dominance of a kitten, the decision-making of a blancmange and the distribution skills of stevie wonder. he makes every teammate nervous. good shot stopper though. that's about it. he's not top class and doesn't look like becoming so.

• Like 2

he's been hugely hit and miss but is ultimately a disappointment - particularly when compared with the guy who went before him, pepe reina. mignolet seems to have the confidence of a newborn foal, the penalty box dominance of a kitten, the decision-making of a blancmange and the distribution skills of stevie wonder. he makes every teammate nervous. good shot stopper though. that's about it. he's not top class and doesn't look like becoming so.

Thanks stevie, looks like he's gone downhill instead of being 'only young and he will improve'.

Looking at your quote, getting someone in during the January window would be a priority?

Thanks stevie, looks like he's gone downhill instead of being 'only young and he will improve'.

Looking at your quote, getting someone in during the January window would be a priority?

he's not been helped by the chopping and changing and the lack of a settled back four. probably also not by the fact that brendan rodgers doesn't seem to prioritise defence first in a way that some other managers do. i think it needs a special kind of keeper to play in a rodgers team, a really arrogant shouty get who will dominate his box, &lt;deleted&gt; his defenders and generally inspire confidence. that isn't mignolet, he's too meek.

christ knows who would be available in january who would fit the bill though. chelsea have courtois and petr cech. we have mignolet and brad jones. i am better in goal than brad jones.

• Like 1

he's not been helped by the chopping and changing and the lack of a settled back four. probably also not by the fact that brendan rodgers doesn't seem to prioritise defence first in a way that some other managers do. i think it needs a special kind of keeper to play in a rodgers team, a really arrogant shouty get who will dominate his box, <deleted> his defenders and generally inspire confidence. that isn't mignolet, he's too meek.

christ knows who would be available in january who would fit the bill though. chelsea have courtois and petr cech. we have mignolet and brad jones. i am better in goal than brad jones.

?? http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-goalkeepers-liverpool-fc-could-8005320

teams don't really tend to sell their first choice goalkeepers in january windows though do they? if we went to stoke and said how much for begovic i'd fully expect mark hughes to tell us to eff off and come back in the summer with £40m.

teams don't really tend to sell their first choice goalkeepers in january windows though do they? if we went to stoke and said how much for begovic i'd fully expect mark hughes to tell us to eff off and come back in the summer with £40m.

Indeed, especially if they get the feeling Liverpool are desperate for a keeper.

I know it's hindsight but I would have preferred Begovic to Mignolet when you were buying.

That German guy seems highly rated and maybe it's just a matter of taking a chance. Lloris and deGea weren't instant flavours of the month, but I wonder how much they are worth now?

• Like 1

Indeed, especially if they get the feeling Liverpool are desperate for a keeper.

I know it's hindsight but I would have preferred Begovic to Mignolet when you were buying.

That German guy seems highly rated and maybe it's just a matter of taking a chance. Lloris and deGea weren't instant flavours of the month, but I wonder how much they are worth now?

Lloris never really put a foot wrong. It was more a case that Friedal was playing so well AVB couldn't justify dropping him.

Anyway, in the context of this thread Hugo will probably be off to PSG or Real Madrid in the summer and who can blame him. Its probably why we covered ourselves by buying Vorm.

Frankly i was a little surprised Liverpool didn't originally go for Bergovic. He always looked a better keeper than Mignolet.

Edited by carmine

Being rumoured Frank Lampard is to be paid 190k per week by the Abu owners at City . On the same page Stevie G . has been told by FSG he will have to take a 50% pay cut to get a new contract . If these reports are true , then Stevie will jump at the chance to join his mate at City , he would be a fool not to , he goes to City , he will be surrounded by absolute quality , only being played as an impact player sharing the role with Lampard , for this he will probably be paid the same as his mate . Could see him & Lampard playing this role for a further 2 years . Bye bye capt Fantastic.

Well, I'm going to bed now. I wish I could stay up for the game, but I have work tomorrow. I expect to wake up in the morning to a shocking result... hopefully for us.biggrin.png

Edited by nellyp

Well, I'm going to bed now. I wish I could stay up for the game, but I have work tomorrow. I expect to wake up in the morning to a shocking result... hopefully for us.biggrin.png

matchsticks in the eyes here after a bunch of beer and sangsom tonight. trust not my match report. may be flaky.

• Like 1

Feeling very tired but work is work!!

A very hard working gritty performance by Liverpool and respect to the players who gave it their all. However, i think the occasion and the traveling fans deserved a stronger team selection regardless of this weekends fixture. Just my opinion mind.

Did not fancy getting up at 03:00 to watch the once mighty reds get trounced , so 1-0 did not seem so bad . But the team Rodgers picked seemed a very poor return for the money he has spent . Will watch the game later this morning .

Surprise team selection... but we nearly pulled out a draw. Great effort and some very good performances from players such as Toure, Lucas and Borini who have hardly featured this season. However it was early in the morning so my judgment might not be the best.

Madrid still looked class and at times you felt they were playing in second gear and could turned it on when they wanted, but at least we made it very hard for them. They also looked a bit edgy in the last 15 mins helped by our 3 attacking subs. However we created very few chances 1 or 2 at most compared to their 15 or more.

Thought Mignolet had a good one and pulled of some good stops to keep us in the game right to the end.

• Like 2

Just watched the rerun & credit to the boys they tried really hard , they could not have tried much harder , but our lack of real quality is obvious .

Why did Rodgers start with Joe Allen then compound the error by playing him for the full 93 mins .Thought everyone else did ok , Mingo his best game for ages , Mankovic not brilliant but deffo his best game since signed , The back 4 were ok , as were midfield only for J A . Borini ran his socks off . Toure got MOM for me . Now we wait & see what surprise selections Brendan has in store for the Chelsea game .

Do you want me to come out of retirement?laugh.png

What about your dodgy knee and anything else that might be dodgy at your age laugh.png

It always frustrates me a little, why ppl concentrate on the goalkeeper. It's like being critical of Balotelli. They are the easy hits. This goalkeeper was actually in place last season.

It's is what has happened since the Suarez departure which should be the focus, like building on the performance and successes of last season. For example, like the emergence of Sterling as a pacey attacking wide player who needs a supportive and strong full back behind, like the skill and creativity of Coutinho who likewise needs a similarly fast and quick minded forward as outlet and capable midfielders surrounding him. Furthermore, i would like a Sterling type player on the other flank eg Nathan Dyer and likewise supported by a capable full back.

Do you want me to come out of retirement?laugh.png

What about your dodgy knee and anything else that might be dodgy at your age laugh.png

Only my kneeS

Being rumoured Frank Lampard is to be paid 190k per week by the Abu owners at City . On the same page Stevie G . has been told by FSG he will have to take a 50% pay cut to get a new contract . If these reports are true , then Stevie will jump at the chance to join his mate at City , he would be a fool not to , he goes to City , he will be surrounded by absolute quality , only being played as an impact player sharing the role with Lampard , for this he will probably be paid the same as his mate . Could see him & Lampard playing this role for a further 2 years . Bye bye capt Fantastic.

I understood that one of the reasons Stevie G retired from International football was to play in games like last night.If he is considered to be the "heart and soul" of the Liverpool team why did he

not start ? The chance of playing RM would, I imagine, be high on his agenda

Does not make sense as he has until Saturday to rest, maybe train Friday,same goes for the other first choice starters.Isn't this what Liverpool fans have been craving for, playing in Europe and giving it 110% ? To add to the confusion isn't there another international break after this weekend.

Wouldn't place too much credence on Gerrard being asked for a 50% pay cut,pure media speculation ,but bet he was rightly really cheesed off last night

• Like 1

I understood that one of the reasons Stevie G retired from International football was to play in games like last night.If he is considered to be the "heart and soul" of the Liverpool team why did he

not start ? The chance of playing RM would, I imagine, be high on his agenda

Does not make sense as he has until Saturday to rest, maybe train Friday,same goes for the other first choice starters.Isn't this what Liverpool fans have been craving for, playing in Europe and giving it 110% ? To add to the confusion isn't there another international break after this weekend.

Wouldn't place too much credence on Gerrard being asked for a 50% pay cut,pure media speculation ,but bet he was rightly really cheesed off last night

in our current form what sort of chance do you truly believe we had against RM away. It's not about any one player it is about the team and getting something out of the Chelsea match is imperative. Having "first team" starters fresh makes sense. Even if we managed a draw, we'd still need results from the remaining 2 CL matches. Having a European break after the Chelsea match doesn't make any difference.

I'm not saying i agree or disagree but I can understand why players were rested. For the travelling fans it was unfortunate but the team that played gave it their all, there is no room for sentiment. If we were in great form and flying along maybe worth questioning, but were not.

Arguably the best move Rodgers has made this season...for many reasons. Easy to say in hindsight, that I'll grant.