Thieving Bangkok Cabbie Brought To Justice By Lottery Enthusiast

webfact

Thieving cabbie brought to justice by lottery enthusiast

cabnight.small_.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In a case of human weakness working to undermine human weakness, this past week a thieving cabbie was brought to justice (almost by accident) through the actions of a devout, lottery enthusiast.

The story began with Wanlop Ou-thong, 54 – a Bangkok cabbie who had taken to running a scam in which he pretended to be out of gas in order to swindle his customers. Apparently, Wanlop asked passengers to get out of his cab to help push it toward a gas station, then drove off with the passengers’ possessions.

Wanlop got away with this scam several times before he was stopped through the efforts of a dedicated and highly superstitious housemaid.

The housemaid had written down Wanlop’s license plate number, intending to use it to bet on the national lottery.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/04/25/thieving-cabbie-brought-justice-lottery-enthusiast

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-04-25

I guess all cabbies cannot be of the type to return possessions found in their cabs.

Thai news say he had two wives and a gambling problem to support. Also had a bum leg which I am sure helped the passengers feel sorry for the guy and help push.

But stealing a women's dog???

Edited by Nisa

Driver arrested for robbing passengers by tricking them into pushing his car, then speeding away

BANGKOK, 25 April 2013 (NNT) – Police in Nonthaburi have arrested a taxi driver who has repeatedly robbed passengers of their belongings by tricking them to help him push the car, before speeding away.

Provincial Police Region 1 Commissioner Naret Nanthachoti announced the arrest of 57-year-old Wanlop Uthong, who lived at a motel in Suphanburi province. A search of his the suspect's room discovered many travel suitcases, handbags, wallets and jewelry that had been stolen from passengers. A Pomeranian dog stolen in the same manner was also found in the room.

According to the police, the taxi driver tricked his victims by faking that the car had broken down, then asked his passenger to push the car while he steered it to the side of the road. Once the passenger got out and started pushing, he would speed away with the passenger’s belongings left on the taxi.

Mr. Wanlop confessed to having robbed passengers in this manner at least 10 times, saying he spent the money on gambling and night life.

The owner of the roughly 4-month-old Pomeranian is encouraged to contact police to retrieve the dog. Passengers who have fallen victim to the driver are also encouraged to contact police to identify their stolen belongings.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-25 footer_n.gif

Pomerian puppies start at approx US$500 and go anywhere up to $5,000.

I just saw a Thai add on the internet: "Pomerian puppies for sale $800. Buy 1 GET SECOND HALF PRICE!" cheesy.gifwub.png

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

How do you speed away in Bangkok? Most cabs I've been in, & it's a lot fewer now you have to beg to be taken for a ride, go at less than walking pace. You could saunter after them & enlist the help of the dozing/dozy traffic cop operating the fully automatic lights.

There have been more and more incidents in the Thai news about Taxi Drivers being up to no good. I know they check for a criminal record before issuing these driver's a Taxi license but obviously this isn't good enough. Not sure if it is the stress of the job, taking drugs to stay awake, the quality of many of the people who choose this job or a combination of things but clearly some new policies need to be put in place.

One thing they might do, even though it would add to the costs of doing business, is to require each taxi to have a GPS system that is tied into a Fleet Management program that would records where a taxi has been and when. Thus eliminating the need to have a license number to file a complaint. Additional costs can be recouped by allowing the fair prices to be increased as they have not for many many years. This would also help drivers be more safe from criminals and make tourists safer too who typically are unable to read a Thai license plate number.

I just saw a Thai add on the internet: "Pomerian puppies for sale $800. Buy 1 GET SECOND HALF PRICE!" cheesy.gifwub.png

-mel.

I think you need papers to get those kind of prices.

They also have to be the right color and all that along with typically needing to be puppies especially since breeding is out of the question without papers. But I would guess if young and healthy could probably get a couple thousand baht. Given their size probably not worth much in the way of food either. wink.png

I'm guessing the dog just happened to come along with the bags he was trying to steal unless he was thinking about a gift for a girlfriend.

-mel.

I think you need papers to get those kind of prices.

Actually papers are usually not included. In Australia I paid $800 for a pom puppy, it was the average price for a well bred one, papered ones are more than twice that, just cant see the sense when you are buying one as a pet.

There have been more and more incidents in the Thai news about Taxi Drivers being up to no good. I know they check for a criminal record before issuing these driver's a Taxi license but obviously this isn't good enough. Not sure if it is the stress of the job, taking drugs to stay awake, the quality of many of the people who choose this job or a combination of things but clearly some new policies need to be put in place.

One thing they might do, even though it would add to the costs of doing business, is to require each taxi to have a GPS system that is tied into a Fleet Management program that would records where a taxi has been and when. Thus eliminating the need to have a license number to file a complaint. Additional costs can be recouped by allowing the fair prices to be increased as they have not for many many years. This would also help drivers be more safe from criminals and make tourists safer too who typically are unable to read a Thai license plate number.

You are dreaming and have zero knowledge of Thailand

• Like 1

You are dreaming and have zero knowledge of Thailand

Phuket tourist safety boost as Patong taxis install GPS units

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Phuket-tourist-safety-boost-as-Patong-taxis-install-GPS-units-17933.html

wai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by Nisa

String him up. I dislike these people that think laws are for other people. They are in need of greed .

Did Joe Mamma teach you this?. wink.pngbiggrin.png .sorry, couldn't resist

But trying to figure out what you meant to say they are in need of since I am sure you didn't mean to say greed as they would appear to already have this.