Thai Army Chief Urges The Public To Stop Criticizing Gt200 Fraud

webfact

Army chief urges the public stop criticizing GT200 fraud

BANGKOK, 25 April 2013 (NNT) – Thailand's army chief general Prayuth Chan-ocha has asked the public to stop making comments or criticisms about the controversial bomb detector GT200 procurement.

The issue has drawn public attention and criticisms again, following the conviction of a British court on Tuesday of the owner of Comstrac Co. Ltd, the manufacturer and supplier of the GT200 bomb scanners, on grounds of fraud in selling deceptive bomb detectors to other countries including Thailand.

Commander-in-Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha has requested the public to stop fueling criticisms and leave the case to be investigated by Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and the Thai court. He added that the army has already stopped using the devices for 2-3 years. However, he admitted that some military personnel still use them since there is no other alternative instrument.

When asked whether the procurement possibly involved fraud, the military leader responded that the buying of the equipment was done carefully by the responsible committee, and that any allegation of corruption should be made based on solid evidence.

When asked if allowance would be raised for the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) officials in the troubled southernmost provinces, Gen Prayuth said that the decision rested with the government.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-25 footer_n.gif

RELATED:
UK Invites Thai Team To Testify As Victim In Gt200, Alpha 6 Bomb Detectors Scam

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/635109-u-k-invites-thai-team-to-testify-as-victim-in-gt200-alpha-6-bomb-detectors-scam/

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A " responsible committee " approved the purchase of useless equipment and although proved fake and the fraudster who was selling them convicted they are still being used because there's nothing else. What complete nonsense, how can lives be put at risk using something known to be fake, must be a great comfort to those using them.

Little wonder the Army Chief is trying to deflect attention away from this story because if, and it's a massive if, it is actually investigated properly senior heads will roll for corruption and / or incompetence but is it likely to happen. i suppose as with other ongoing enquiries the DSI will take it's lead from the government.

Where to begin, there are just some many comments to be made. And of course the original involvement of a certain colored government seems not to be mentioned anywhere in reports, we would ask why but we know. It seems continually pointless to have an opinion, let alone share it as the rest of the nation is blind to the obvious or afraid to speak out or both. Sad facesad.png

This bloke should stop worrying about saving face, shut up and get on with his job.

Here's a brief list of things he should be doing to occupy his time:

1. Sort out the south
  2. Sort out military procurement programmes so they are corruption free, efficient and useful
  3. Sort out the institutional bullying and beating of army conscripts and punish those responsible

That should keep the CiC occupied for a while; if not and he needs any more advice, I'm available.

Edited by arthurboy
  • Like 2

"Thailand's army chief general Prayuth Chan-ocha has asked the public to stop making comments or criticisms about the controversial bomb detector GT200 procurement."

That request makes perfect sense. After all they can't have the public and media calling them incompetent or staying the made stupid decisions. It might cause them to lose face.

he admitted that some military personnel still use them since there is no other alternative instrument.

clap2.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif... cheesy.gif

And seriously some people would consider why I would never let my son be part of the lucky dip for military service in this country.

​End of argument.

Hold on a minute...per the other article

"Thai army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the use of GT200 fake detectors in Thailand’s southern provinces has been suspended and replaced by US-made Fido XT explosives detectors".....rolleyes.gif

and so the arse covering circus that is the great GT 2000 fiasco commences....wink.png

• Like 2

Whether they were complicit in a scam or just bamboozled isn't the issue for me. They continued to order troops to use the devices when they knew they were useless. There were 2 thai scientists at the time who had dismantled one and stated that there was nothing inside that would make the device work. The army spokesman said that they worked 20% of the time which was better than nothing. I would suggest to the troops that they toss a coin, at least they would have a 50% chance. Stop talking about our gigantic screw up,.......only in Thailand.

I agree although not the bit about only in Thailand.

It is not a fraud, that's why the Army Chief is asking the public to stop criticism.

.... they just forgot to read the GT2000 INSTRUCTION MANUAL which clearly states "to be used for detecting bombers with passion for golf" wink.png

...'However, he admitted that some military personnel still use them since there is no other alternative instrument.'...... I wonder how the families of the troops using this golf ball finder feel about this...... and if people are still being carted off for interrogation if this toy indicates that they have been handling explosives. Is the Thai Army not leaving itself open to international ridicule and possible lawsuits from the wrongly accused..... it's no suprise that some of the Thai muslims want an independant state !

• Like 1

...'However, he admitted that some military personnel still use them since there is no other alternative instrument.'...... I wonder how the families of the troops using this golf ball finder feel about this...... and if people are still being carted off for interrogation if this toy indicates that they have been handling explosives. Is the Thai Army not leaving itself open to international ridicule and possible lawsuits from the wrongly accused..... it's no suprise that some of the Thai muslims want an independant state !

Your last sentence concerns me. There is no state which "belongs" to the Muslim population of Thailand. I go to the south regularly, I sleep on Buddhist owned land. Where would my gracious hosts rest their heads each night if their land was handed to Muslims? The government has no right to do this, nor the interest. It is about face. Thai Muslims are no different than Muslims of any other country: some are good, some are bad. Some of the good support the bad when it comes to the war against "the infidels". Yes, that means you, as a non-muslim.

I would suggest you read thoroughly with regards to modern Islam and its' view of the western world. Visit the east coast of Malaysia while you are at it, and as a last stop, take a look over in Somalia and parts of Nigeria. Then feel free to come back and remind us that we are doing the muslim population of Thailand and the rest of the world a great wrong by attempting to protect those whom they wish to maim, murder and slaughter.

It it only me that finds this kinda funny?

The issue has drawn public attention and criticisms again, following the conviction of a British court on Tuesday of the owner of Comstrac Co. Ltd, the manufacturer and supplier of the GT200 bomb scanners, on grounds of fraud in selling deceptive bomb detectors to other countries including Thailand.

Perhaps he meant defective?

It it only me that finds this kinda funny?

Perhaps he meant defective?

Deceptively useless unless you want to randomly lock up an innocent man.

Your last sentence concerns me. There is no state which "belongs" to the Muslim population of Thailand. I go to the south regularly, I sleep on Buddhist owned land. Where would my gracious hosts rest their heads each night if their land was handed to Muslims? The government has no right to do this, nor the interest. It is about face. Thai Muslims are no different than Muslims of any other country: some are good, some are bad. Some of the good support the bad when it comes to the war against "the infidels". Yes, that means you, as a non-muslim.

I would suggest you read thoroughly with regards to modern Islam and its' view of the western world. Visit the east coast of Malaysia while you are at it, and as a last stop, take a look over in Somalia and parts of Nigeria. Then feel free to come back and remind us that we are doing the muslim population of Thailand and the rest of the world a great wrong by attempting to protect those whom they wish to maim, murder and slaughter.

ummmm....... maybe you should read my post properly before commenting....... 'it's no suprise that some of the Thai muslims want an independant state !' note the words ' some' and 'want'. ..... and I think that an infidel in a muslim's eyes is somebody who does not believe in God.....Jesus is an important prophet in the Koran.

Edited by lemonjelly