Emergency Light Exhausted After 2 Years

THAIPHUKET

I got 2 emergency lights which will switch on when there is a power failure. Instructions didn´t say anything about de-charging once in awhile, which surprised me. But I see them hanging everywhere for ever. Facts is after about 2 years the led bulb will not last longer than 20 Min.

Is the battery replaceable? Buy a new one? Want to have about 6 hours of light. Which brand? How often to de-charge?

Yeah the batteries in these things usually don't last much over 2 years, especially in higher temperatures (outside). They are easy to replace through.

Open the box, there will be a large gray / black brick battery. Note the voltage and capacity (Amp/hours) and dimensions, and get a similar one (same voltage critical, amp/hours may be a bit larger / smaller, in a size that will still fit the box)

Amorn stocks most of them. Figure around 250 - 500B

How long did these lights run for when new?

If they're down to less than 60% of that now it's time for new batteries.

Sealed lead-acid batteries do struggle in the tropical environment, our UPS batteries last a couple of years before needing replacement.

When new they would run for 2 hours. That would be also my expectation, the purpose is not to sit in the dark when electricity is cut. An evening without lights can be very long.

That´s why I have 3 units spread throughout the house which I may switch on / off in case a longer interruption is foreseeable.

If you really have LED light bulbs they will easily last for about 10 hours on battery. If you have halogen bulbs they last only about 1 - 2 hours. To deplete the battery just unplug the emergency light until it fades. Then plug it in again and let it recharge. This should be done at least every 2 or 3 months if you had no longer power cuts in the mean time. If you have halogen bulbs you can easily replace them by 12 volt LED bulbs. I also use a LED emergency light for mobile use. I just carry it around and put it where ever I need light. And it lasts for the whole night if necessary.

Cheers, Carlos

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nobody mentioned LED from my reading. Our led cookie size units last forever on simple AA cells and just have a few around house for such times. Understand upcountry they would get more use but LED in any flavor is far better that what you apparently have. As said those batteries do not last long in the high heat of Thailand.

And I just read again and did not see it - reading as light bulb in my mind it seems. coffee1.gif

Still can not believe that is all the service he gets from LED as most of those lamps are very low wattage. Have never seen LED emergency lights but have not been looking for them so guess maybe they are out there.

When new they would run for 2 hours. That would be also my expectation, the purpose is not to sit in the dark when electricity is cut. An evening without lights can be very long.

That´s why I have 3 units spread throughout the house which I may switch on / off in case a longer interruption is foreseeable.

then you are doing it wrong.

• Like 1

then you are doing it wrong.

CANDYPANTS; I actually relish seeing what I am doing

PS= perhaps the topic is getting overcharged

Edited by THAIPHUKET