Select Baby Gender, Where, How Much ?

samtab

shake your left leg when you have sex... it will have caucasian man appearance...

shake your right leg when you have sex... it will have asian man appearance

shake your left leg and talk during sex... it will have caucasian femal appearance

shake your right leg and talk during sex.. it will have asian femal appearance...

for ladyboys, I don't know...

• Like 1

shake your left leg when you have sex... it will have caucasian man appearance...

shake your right leg when you have sex... it will have asian man appearance

shake your left leg and talk during sex... it will have caucasian femal appearance

shake your right leg and talk during sex.. it will have asian femal appearance...

for ladyboys, I don't know...

Good one clap2.gif

Putting aside the ethical issues I'm not even sure if it's legal here, definitely not legal in the UK.

Let's try this in Families.

EDIT A quick Google suggests that it's not specifically illegal.

The BangkokPost ran a piece about this on the 2nd of April - Bumrungrad offer this and Phuket International offer this service on their website here. To be honest I wouldn't have know to even search for the term 'PGD' until I read the piece in the BKPost but I guess there are lots of internet forums for people seeking this kind of thing.

Its legal here... Jetanin clinic (Soi Chidlom) offers it as part of their IVF program... I'm sure many other Hospitals and Assisted Fertilisation Clinics also offer such a service.

Total cost for IVF is roughly THB 200,000

The process could also be carried out with IUI at about THB 50,000

Edited by richard_smith237

thank you. it.'cheap !

i couldn't accept a boy as i am sure he couldn't accept the bastard that i would be with him ;-)

following the culture here a boy means retarded adult, gay, ladyboy or all these qualities...

• Like 1

Does this make any other parent's skin crawl?

Each to their own... If someone has a preference for a boy or a girl and there is a simple method of choosing then I don't see why not.

I understand why this is illegal in some countries such as India.

My Wife and I were given the option - We chose not to decide, or rather making a choice was too difficult and not a priority. Thats simply our choice and as with any parenting decision - if it brings no harm to others its purely a personal choice and not to be judged.

thank you. it.'cheap !

i couldn't accept a boy as i am sure he couldn't accept the bastard that i would be with him ;-)

following the culture here a boy means retarded adult, gay, ladyboy or all these qualities...

If you think that's cheap, you should really check out the price list for a vasectomy. It's the best deal around, and I think you should get one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, what about the situation were the couple wanted one boy and one girl, they then produced

Three boys, yet they still want a Girl. Should they just simple continue to have more children in the HOPE that they May produce a girl, or should they take advantage of this procedure, now on offer to them.

What do you mean by this? Why would you "be a bastard with him [a little boy]"? But you would not "be a bastard" with a little girl?

It's pretty sick that you are so homophobic that you don't want a son because he might be gay...

Surely there are plenty of understandable reasons for preferring one gender child over the other; but the reasons you have given are just F'ed up and make you sound like a sick individual that should be no where near kids.

• Like 1

No, what about the situation were the couple wanted one boy and one girl, they then produced

Three boys, yet they still want a Girl. Should they just simple continue to have more children in the HOPE that they May produce a girl, or should they take advantage of this procedure, now on offer to them.

Where does this choice end? Commercial limitation or moral? I can't think of a single time that a moral value has won over a commercial value.

thank you. it.'cheap !

One has to assume that a response so extreme in its daftness is nothing more than a windup or response to the personal question of why the Op wants a boy or a girl, which really is none of our business.

Don't bite...

• Like 1

It's just wrong. There was an article in our newspaper this week about parents aborting babies because it wasn't the sex they were hoping for. Absolutely sickening in my book. It's about having a healthy child. Not what sex it is. Some wanna be parents really need a good belting for these type of issues.

It's just wrong. There was an article in our newspaper this week about parents aborting babies because it wasn't the sex they were hoping for. Absolutely sickening in my book. It's about having a healthy child. Not what sex it is. Some wanna be parents really need a good belting for these type of issues.

Kris, I disagree to a point.

I think no-one here would want a genetically engineered child ... however, I think you have a mental image that you see a baby growing in a womb and suddenly discover that it's the wrong sex.

If it's an IVF pregnancy, the selection can take place at fertilisation ... before the embryo is placed into the mother's womb.

How It's Done

One way you can accomplish gender selection through in-vitro fertilization (IVF) is through pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.

In this, the technician will fertilize several eggs with the father's sperm. Before they are placed in the mother's uterus, a technician will analyze the zygotes, looking for genetic defects along with gender.

The doctor would then only implant the zygotes that are of the desired gender.

With the MicroSort method, the sperm is separated into "boy" and "girl" sperm, which you can then use to fertilize the eggs before implanting them.

Here

For me, imagine the the Italian family who has 7 girls and the mother is pregnant for the 8th time ... what do you think her recurring dream is?

The flip side to coin is there, say in Chinese or Indian culture when a male son is seen a higher net worth child because of the future earning he can bring to the family ... hence a selection process just for boys ... that's just plain wrong.

I also advocate the screening for genetic defects ... cystic fibrosis being one example, downs syndrome another.

To put those comments in perspective, my Mum had a massive (2 actually) stroke when I was 12 yo ... never could speak another word and effectively paralysed. I, my sister and my elderly father took care of Mum for a very long time. To be a life long carer for someone alters your perspective.

Like most ethical questions ... usually there is no universal right or wrong answers, just different perspectives, situations and viewpoints.

As with any powerful tool, used wisely and with Cultural and Moral sensitivities considered, gender selection can be very useful.

EDITED to add the hyper-link

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

Kris, I disagree to a point.

I think no-one here would want a genetically engineered child ... however, I think you have a mental image that you see a baby growing in a womb and suddenly discover that it's the wrong sex.

If it's an IVF pregnancy, the selection can take place at fertilisation ... before the embryo is placed into the mother's womb.

How It's Done

One way you can accomplish gender selection through in-vitro fertilization (IVF) is through pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.

In this, the technician will fertilize several eggs with the father's sperm. Before they are placed in the mother's uterus, a technician will analyze the zygotes, looking for genetic defects along with gender.

The doctor would then only implant the zygotes that are of the desired gender.

With the MicroSort method, the sperm is separated into "boy" and "girl" sperm, which you can then use to fertilize the eggs before implanting them.

Here

For me, imagine the the Italian family who has 7 girls and the mother is pregnant for the 8th time ... what do you think her recurring dream is?

The flip side to coin is there, say in Chinese or Indian culture when a male son is seen a higher net worth child because of the future earning he can bring to the family ... hence a selection process just for boys ... that's just plain wrong.

I also advocate the screening for genetic defects ... cystic fibrosis being one example, downs syndrome another.

To put those comments in perspective, my Mum had a massive (2 actually) stroke when I was 12 yo ... never could speak another word and effectively paralysed. I, my sister and my elderly father took care of Mum for a very long time. To be a life long carer for someone alters your perspective.

Like most ethical questions ... usually there is no universal right or wrong answers, just different perspectives, situations and viewpoints.

As with any powerful tool, used wisely and with Cultural and Moral sensitivities considered, gender selection can be very useful.

EDITED to add the hyper-link

Sorry for the massive quote, can't work out part quote on my phone. All any parent wants is a healthy child. I'm not religious as such, but it's God's decision to give a boy or girl. Not some scientist. This is how I feel. I wouldn't nor my wife terminate a downs baby. We went through it when she was told she is 1 in 34 chance which is very high. Just a health happy child is all I and her wanted. Lucky for us our daughter is. I do agree with abortion at an early stage if the child is severely deformed or disabled and won't have a quality of life. Edited by krisb

thank you. it.'cheap !

following after his old man then...

• Like 1

David, also people are actually aborting children now because it isn't the sex they wanted. Google Adelaide Advertiser Newspaper. Was in I think last Sundays paper. Repulsive I thought.

To those who are approving DNA modification/embryo selection.

I have had the pleasure of working with mentally challenged children and adults. My wife works in a Kindergarten and she identifies a child as having a "learning difficulty" every year. That is in a class of 14 children. Should all these people have been destroyed pre-birth?

Would you like to come and tell the parents? Could you look them in the eye and say "Hey, you could have a better life without little 'xyz' in your life. You should have selected this child out at this point".

I am NOT religious in the slightest. I am a vehement realist. I do, however, believe that nature is a force that has been around for a LOT longer than us. If we have a world where people are allowed to choose the sex, genetic make-up or traits of their child then life just got VERY VERY boring and really not worth living as everybody is going to choose a "super-child". Nature has been making the right decisions for humanity for a long time. We now have 7,000,000,000+ people to prove it.

There are laws of nature and laws of physics we don't understand. Marie Curie thought that nuclear fuel was so amazing that she carried radium with her and advocated drinking radium water as a cure for diseases.

What is it that we know?

I'm not religious as such, but it's God's decision to give a boy or girl

lol

Is it also gods decision if you die in a car crash ? no need to wear your seat belt....

Within ethical boundaries - gender selection and zygote testing for potential birth defects is a great leap forwards.

This ethical boundary clearly varies with culture. i.e. Chinese / Indian wanting boys, where as pretty much anywhere else, all people are concerned with is ensuring a healthy child. The 3 boy family wanting a girl is also well within reasonable ethical boundaries.

I guess the idea is not to loose track of common sense. There is no issue with choosing gender in Thailand, just so long as society as a whole has equal feelings regarding the birth of a male or female.

My Wife and I were offered Gender Selection - Our personal choice was no choice. However, if a couple have preference for a boy or a girl and it doesn't harm society by distorting the national average then I see no harm.

thank you. it.'cheap !

If you perceive all thai boys as retards, gays & ladyboys, i wonder what you think of thai girls??