Volunteering In Hua Hin Summer 2013?

Aniolla

Hello,

This summer from May 18th until August 1st I have the opportunity to visit Thailand, Hua Hin for my studies. I am 21 years of age, International Relations student with certificate for Human Rights and minor in Psychology. I am in my Junior year and I am looking for volunteer oportunities near Hua Hin, Cha-am. I am specifically looking to work with adults or children.

I speak 5 languages fluently and have been tutoring, babysitting and teaching since I was 15. I am also enjoy sports and posess a little bit of art skills.

Does anyone know of any oportunities that could be fitting for me?

All input appreciated,

Thank you very much smile.png .

Aniolla

If you find an English-language church in the area, they will be sure to have ongoing work in the area, esp with kids. It doesn't have to be "religious" work per se, it can be English lessons, cleaning up the moo baans, summer camps, etc. Maybe you could help at a sports or art camp. I did stuff like that in BKK before; it's pretty cool.

Come over, ask around the area and you will find lots of opportunities for helping. Although in theory a work permit is required if you were volunteering on a schedule, helping locals ad hoc does not constitute working.

Sorry but that is bad advice, the OP should really look into the WP issue before they decide what they want to do here.

I am not one of the "Don't work here unless you have a permit brigade" however i'm sure the OP would not like to find themselves in the Immigration Detention Center because of some advice that they read on here. It is sensible to check things out on this issue.

There may be some people who volunteer and don't have a permit and get away with it but that does not mean the OP should take the same approach

Thank you very much for your post, let me clear up some things with the situation:

1. I am going there on an Education visa, that means that my college is responsible for me and I am sure they would help with my working visa permit once I am there or if they have some kind of a deal with the administration.

2. Before I can even apply for the working visa I need to find a place I can help at don't I?

4. I have researched many organisation online that ask for vulunteers and an extra fee of 1000$... I don't think I can afford that.

5. I highly doubt the fact if I go into a church and help out some kids (not on a regular basis) that they will take me to a detention center. I am assuming guest speakers do not need a working visa ?

6. Any other ideas? :)

Thank you very much for your post, let me clear up some things with the situation:

1. I am going there on an Education visa, that means that my college is responsible for me and I am sure they would help with my working visa permit once I am there or if they have some kind of a deal with the administration.

2. Before I can even apply for the working visa I need to find a place I can help at don't I?

4. I have researched many organisation online that ask for vulunteers and an extra fee of 1000$... I don't think I can afford that.

5. I highly doubt the fact if I go into a church and help out some kids (not on a regular basis) that they will take me to a detention center. I am assuming guest speakers do not need a working visa ?

6. Any other ideas? smile.png

Your School will not help you with a Work Permit if you need one, that will be the responsibility of the organization you choose to work for as they provide the paperwork needed

As Lite Beer mentioned above you need a Non Immigrant Visa in order to get the WP, You will not be able to obtain a WP on your Education Visa

Yes you need to apply for the WP after you have found a Organization to work for as your WP is tied to that Job/Organization

6. Any other ideas? smile.png

Any organization that asks you to pay for the privilege of "volunteering" is a scam. Do not fall for it! Do not give anyone any money to allow you to volunteer (other than fees for work permit, if needed).

What these places are "selling" are glorified vacations, a "feel good" opportunity which pretend like you are doing something useful but will leave you feeling empty & exploited in the end. Even if they work with legitimate local organizations, they end up doing the same thing over & over, like repainting that same orphanage playroom 5 times in a single summer. Please take the time to find something that will truly make a difference.

Trust me, there are many worthy causes in Thailand that could use your help, and won't ask you to pay any money for the privilege. The problem with these vacation-volunteer scams is they are so prevalent on the internet that they float to the top of your google search results, and you feel like you have to pay no matter what. Keep looking, or do what I said in an earlier post... Contact a local English-speaking church & ask what sort of help they need. Any reputable church will have good connections within the community.

• Like 1

I guess you are going to study-abroad at Webster University?

Webster's students just recently chartered a Roteract club. In case you don't know what that is, then in short it's a Rotary Club for the younger crowd, usually in a college or the likes. Their sponsoring club is Rotary Club of Royal Hua Hin (google it and you will find their website/contact info).

So if you are indeed going to attend Webster, there should be a great opportunity there in asking their Roteract club to help you. There are some very influential people in the Rotary Clubs in Hua Hin, especially the Thai speaking club (Rotary Club of Hua Hin), and you can be sure that no volunteer work arranged by those clubs will get you busted by any authority.

• Like 1

I guess you are going to study-abroad at Webster University?

Webster's students just recently chartered a Roteract club. In case you don't know what that is, then in short it's a Rotary Club for the younger crowd, usually in a college or the likes. Their sponsoring club is Rotary Club of Royal Hua Hin (google it and you will find their website/contact info).

So if you are indeed going to attend Webster, there should be a great opportunity there in asking their Roteract club to help you. There are some very influential people in the Rotary Clubs in Hua Hin, especially the Thai speaking club (Rotary Club of Hua Hin), and you can be sure that no volunteer work arranged by those clubs will get you busted by any authority.

Thank you, yes I will be attending Webster University. Thank you for the info. I will check it out.