Trouble With Re-Entry Just Before Visa Expiration/extension?

Just wondering if anyone can advise on my situation. Here's the deal: I'm on a non-imm o visa (marriage). My current extension expires on may 29. I've already got an appointment at Chiang Mai immigration for annual extension on may 28. I also have a valid re-entry permit. Now it turns out I've got a big family event in the UK on may 25. The earliest I can return to Thailand is may 26, 2 days before my extension appointment and 3 days before my permission to stay expires. I'm worried about 2 potential problems:

1) Could I have trouble when I re-enter Thailand & ask for only a 3 day permission to stay? I plan on carrying a copy of my immigration appointment confirmation with me but I'm not sure that will help much.

2) Could I have trouble checking in at the airport on my return trip? Recent experience tells me that the airlines want to see either a long-term visa for staying in Thailand or an on-going ticket leaving Thailand. Even with my annual extension I've seen enough confusion at the check-in counter to have worries that I won't be allowed to board given my situation.

My impression is that according to the rules I shouldn't have any trouble. But we all know that the rules are, shall we say, "flexible" according to the knowledge and/or mood of whatever official is in front of you at the time. Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Or any other helpful input? Thanks for all replies.

Appointments at Chiang Mai immigration fill up almost immediately so there's no chance of getting in early that way. I could just show up & try my luck without an appointment but recent reports from Chiang Mai immigration are pretty scary. If the sign-in sheet and/or number ticket machine were back in operation I might go that route but if it's at all possible I want to avoid just showing up. It's bad enough if I have to waste a half day or more waiting around there but given our work & family schedules it'd be extremely difficult to manage getting my wife to wait with me or show up for an interview on short notice.

I've entered Thailand the day before my extension/re-entry expires with no issues whatever.

The immigration officer asked if I really wanted a two day permission to stay, I told him I was visiting immigration to collect my new extension and he stamped me for the two days.

You may have a problem with the airline, but any visa / re-entry permit will allow travel on a one-way, ask to speak to a supervisor.

As said it should not be any problem if you are not delayed - I would do early to avoid that possibility myself (but mine is retirement so no time pressure and no need to get wife involved).

Airlines sometimes do not understand re-entry permits so you might have to point out it is a valid visa and allows your entry - supervisor should understand if required.

Understand Chiang Mai is very overworked but this should be low season so expect less now than a month ago. Was at immigration in Bangkok yesterday doing 90 day report and only six in queue with five active counters so a 10 minute or less turnaround and nobody in main queues for queue numbers so not that busy.

I came into Thailand with 3 days left on my extension. The immigration officer looked at me puzzled. I just smiled and said yes i know. Im going to get the new extension tomorrow. No hassel he just stamped me in for 3 days.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a similar experience to Crossy arriving 2 days bedore my extension of the stay expired.

The Thai immigration officer who dealt with me looked at the date and politely reminded that I must go to the Immigration office in Korat within the next 2 days.

I said yes I fully understood that and she stamped my passport for the 2 days.

I had no problem with the airline (EVA) as the lady who checked me in understood that I was on an annual extension of stay that was about to expire and be renewed.

The only downside is if you are delayed beyond the date of your extension of stay in which case you would have to start the process over again.

Enjoy your family reunion thumbsup.gif

I had a sleight problem with EVA air when returning to Thailand from the UK with a single ticket and no valid visa. They eventually provided a disclaimer for me to sign that allowed me to fly.

Reason for no visa was a change from marriage to retirement which the local immigration said they could arrange on my return and they did.

Why not go renew your retirement extension early.

Likewise with the re-entry permit.

You can do it up to 30 days early particularly if you have proof of travel.

That will give you added flexibility perchance you have to remain at home a little longer.

Edited by jacko45k

This thread begs an interesting question IMHO: what if you were planning to return to Thailand from an overseas trip 30 days before your extension of stay expired, meaning that you would then get stamped back in at BKK for 30 days coinciding with the expiry date of your extension of stay. Could you get away with not obtaining a re-entry permit in such a situation? Or would you be likely to be faced with insurmountable difficulties when subsequently seeking a further year's extension of stay?

That said, erupting Icelandic volcanoes, PAD airport occupations, etc might make such a strategy risky in any event!

To return on an extension of stay you must have and use a re-entry permit. If you arrive on a visa exempt entry of 30 days it can not be extended and you will have to obtain a new non immigrant visa entry to extend again.