Thailand Well Suited For Operating Headquarters

webfact

Thailand well suited for operating headquarters
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has a high chance to become the centre for regional operating headquarters (ROH) of international corporations thanks to the forthcoming Asean Economic Community and the Kingdom's strategic location in Southeast Asia, said CB Richard Ellis.

The consulting firm also notes as Thailand's advantages its networks of modern infrastructures, quality skilled labour, easy access to raw materials and attractive tax incentives, which represent a cost-effective investment for any companies seeking to cut expenses and remain competitive at the same time.

The company's 2012 survey showed that office space in Bangkok remained much cheaper than that in regional contenders such as China, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, or Vietnam. Taxes and regulatory burdens are also areas in which Thailand is very competitive. A World Bank survey ranked Thailand 18th out of 185 countries on the ease of doing business.

Government policies are also supportive, complementing Thailand's apparent strengths in its position as a strategically located business hub and centre for production and regional outsourcing. Other than regional operating headquarters, the Board of Investment is also promoting the following related activities with tax and non-tax incentives, depending on the nature of businesses.

•International procurement offices, involving sourcing, quality control, and packaging;

•International distribution centres;

•Trade and investment support offices;

•Distribution centres;

•Research and development.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-27

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand's biggest advantage is that foreign companies are not required to have Thai shareholders and that they can transfer existing non-Thai employees to Thailand without going through the hassle applying for work permits, no 90 days reporting to immigration, exit/reentry visas, et al.

Naam, what you have said is not that far from the truth - a company investing more than 500 million baht (not a large sum for a company) can form a company here with no Thai shareholders, can own land, can apply for BOI approval and get virtually unlimited work permits (at the BOI one-stop-shop in a matter of hours). 90 day reporting to immigration, exit/reentry visas are however still requied. So, if anyone has around 10 million pounds to spare, welcome to Thailand lol
  • Like 2

I've opened and run two " regional operating headquarters (ROH) of international corporations" in Asia-Pac. The last one was some years ago, but as I see it, not much has really changed. Singapore, Hong Kong, (Bangkok??). No, unfortunately, for the reasons listed above already by Naam and BrianCR, as well as many more which I'm sure our members will list.

Thailand was never in the running unfortunately, as it wouldn't take that much to make it so, and it could be the most cost-effective in theory. Language ability is always the biggie, as well as cultural work ethic. Asean 2015 doesn't bode well for Thailand IMO unless some focused changes are made. However, I foresee that non-transparent techniques will be used to obstruct the free flow of labor, etc...

• Like 2

This is just another preposterous notation of CB Richard Ellis promoting and pandering to their own cause. A quick look at at their monthly newsletter will easily point out their biased view of Thailand. Everyone knows that. Bangkok can't be taken seriously by any authentic corporation with proper due diligence.

• Like 1

This is just another preposterous notation of CB Richard Ellis promoting and pandering to their own cause. A quick look at at their monthly newsletter will easily point out their biased view of Thailand. Everyone knows that. Bangkok can't be taken seriously by any authentic corporation with proper due diligence.

Indeed, it was even cheaper 5 years ago and there wasn't a flood of regional offices being created was there?

The article is a propaganda spiel from The Nation at the directive of the PR machine. Utter rubbish as always but I guess some people believe it. I have a few companies here and the ongoing costs of compliance along with the bureaucratic nightmare has lead me to close all but one to facilitate my work permit.

The article is a propaganda spiel from The Nation at the directive of the PR machine. Utter rubbish as always but I guess some people believe it. I have a few companies here and the ongoing costs of compliance along with the bureaucratic nightmare has lead me to close all but one to facilitate my work permit.

Yup, as I said, with a few changes, including easing banking and corporate formation & compliance, Thailand could be a contender.

Does not look like the AEC is going to happen in 2015 or anytime close to it.

BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN, Brunei (Reuters) - Southeast Asian nations
have quietly begun to row back on a deadline of forming an "economic
community" by 2015, confirming what many economists and diplomats have
suspected for years as the diverse group hits tough obstacles to closer
union.

Rather than referring to the end of 2015 as a firm goal, officials at this year's first summit of leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), whose 10 members range from glitzy Singapore to impoverished Myanmar, prefer to call it a "milestone" to be built on in years ahead. In so doing, they are bowing to the reality of slow progress and even some regression on politically sensitive goals, such as eliminating non-tariff barriers and lowering obstacles to the free flow of labor in the diverse region of 600 million people.

http://news.yahoo.com/southeast-asias-2015-unity-dream-collides-reality-212216230.html

• Like 2

Yup, as I said, with a few changes, including easing banking and corporate formation & compliance, Thailand could be a contender.

Just a few?

Thailand's apparent strengths in its position as a strategically located business hub

Hubbaguitar.gif Hubbaguitar.gif

I know you would love my little observation.biggrin.png

An animal hospital on Sukhumvit road(next to Caltex) changed the name to " Medical Hub"

• Like 1

whistling.gif Why doesn't someone do a survey of the foriegn employees of those so called International companies operating in

the folllowing cities:

1. Singapore

2. Kuala Lumpur

3. Hong Kong

4. Jakarta

5. Bangkok

and then publish the results of employee satisfaction with living in those cities.

And while they are at it, also add those employees actual opinion of the effeciency, productivity, and general work ethic of the local employees they work with or supervise in those same cities.

I suspect that Thailand will be low on or at the bottom of the preference list of both those surveys.

Especially on the efficency, productibity, and general work ethic listing.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

Oh indeed, registering a boi regional head quartets may be cheaper than Singapore, but actually running it in singapore, is about 10 times easier.

and there won't be politicians, civil servants and assorted contractors sniffing around with " what's in this for me " their main thought

How satisfied are you with performance of your secretary?

I know my answer would be " she comes to work sometimes and if i am lucky, i might even get a message of a call but no details of who called, why and when" I can delegate some work to her, as long as it does not interfere with Facebook activities on that day.

I think you need a new secretary.

• Like 1

How satisfied are you with performance of your secretary?

I know my answer would be " she comes to work sometimes and if i am lucky, i might even get a message of a call but no details of who called, why and when" I can delegate some work to her, as long as it does not interfere with Facebook activities on that day.

I think you need a new secretary.

you think it gets better? i use to think same way, hence now i do my work, her work and then another, checking and fixing what she has done.biggrin.png

I think Thailand is excited by ASEAN because they think they are the most important country in it! Cant wait for the day when companies start employing Burmese/Cambodians and they put the Thai workers to shame.

However in the long run this will work out better for all of us living here.

If all the Burmese/Cambodians are working in the offices factories, all the Philipinos are working in Schools or hospitals as nurses/doctors this will leave only the building trade for the Thais to be builders.

Therefore with their track record of being late, not showing up for work, total incompetence when they show up, there will eventually be less and less of those monstrous Condo/Shopping malls that very few people use (except the Thai elite to save on their own aircon bill).

That will pave the way for the Singaporeans to come in and beautify those barren places with beautiful gardens and parks.

Eventually philipinos and western teachers will have more sway in schools leading to an education system where kids are taught to think instead of the monkey see/monkey do system we have now. The police will become totally incorruptible because most of the foreign workers will take it up with their respective Governments and corruption will not be tolerated.

Thailand will then realize that it isn't the best country 'on the block' and that now it is a part of something involving other nations/Governments it cannot do as it wishes and then print a total load of bull in the papers to justify it.

On the other hand, under Asean, Thais can apply for jobs in other countries. Maybe a few Thais can get a job tending the gardens of Angkor Wat or Prea Vihar temple. That way at least Thais will be able to keep an eye on 'their' property.ermm.gif

Oh yes I can't wait until we enter the realm of Narnia, I mean ASEAN!

I think Thailand is excited by ASEAN because they think they are the most important country in it! Cant wait for the day when companies start employing Burmese/Cambodians and they put the Thai workers to shame.

However in the long run this will work out better for all of us living here.

If all the Burmese/Cambodians are working in the offices factories, all the Philipinos are working in Schools or hospitals as nurses/doctors this will leave only the building trade for the Thais to be builders.

Therefore with their track record of being late, not showing up for work, total incompetence when they show up, there will eventually be less and less of those monstrous Condo/Shopping malls that very few people use (except the Thai elite to save on their own aircon bill).

That will pave the way for the Singaporeans to come in and beautify those barren places with beautiful gardens and parks.

Eventually philipinos and western teachers will have more sway in schools leading to an education system where kids are taught to think instead of the monkey see/monkey do system we have now. The police will become totally incorruptible because most of the foreign workers will take it up with their respective Governments and corruption will not be tolerated.

Thailand will then realize that it isn't the best country 'on the block' and that now it is a part of something involving other nations/Governments it cannot do as it wishes and then print a total load of bull in the papers to justify it.

On the other hand, under Asean, Thais can apply for jobs in other countries. Maybe a few Thais can get a job tending the gardens of Angkor Wat or Prea Vihar temple. That way at least Thais will be able to keep an eye on 'their' property.ermm.gif

Oh yes I can't wait until we enter the realm of Narnia, I mean ASEAN!

I think you are getting way too excited over nothing.

Customer Service along with everything else, is not much better in Cambodia or Philippines or Myanmar.

All the banks who moved call centers to Philippines lost millions of customers, i am one of those customers.

They might work longer hours and actually come to work, it does not mean they will make any difference in final product

Thailand's biggest advantage is that foreign companies are not required to have Thai shareholders and that they can transfer existing non-Thai employees to Thailand without going through the hassle applying for work permits, no 90 days reporting to immigration, exit/reentry visas, et al.

Naam, what you have said is not that far from the truth - a company investing more than 500 million baht (not a large sum for a company) can form a company here with no Thai shareholders, can own land, can apply for BOI approval and get virtually unlimited work permits (at the BOI one-stop-shop in a matter of hours). 90 day reporting to immigration, exit/reentry visas are however still requied. So, if anyone has around 10 million pounds to spare, welcome to Thailand lol

Really? Then tell us why a company like Tesco or Dtac who have invested far in excess of 500 million Baht still has to have 51 % of Thai shareholders.

Really? Then tell us why a company like Tesco or Dtac who have invested far in excess of 500 million Baht still has to have 51 % of Thai shareholders.

Prohibited for foreign ownership.

Retailing and telecoms.

Prohibited for foreign ownership.

Retailing and telecoms.

Oh there are prohibited occupations in Thailand ? I make a wild guess that there are a lot more that fall into that category.

Must be that BrianCR has overlooked that little inconvenience.

Yes, with highly motivated, hard-working and enthusiastic Thai staff, International Corporations, can not wait to make the move.

Above, coupled with excellent English skills would double if not triple efficiency.

Thailand well on the way to becoming the "HUB" of the world.

• Like 1

@Jbrain

There is a way around, do not hold me to it, But if the office is ONLY administrative or something like that. Its a fine line and not straight forward but can be done

All the online booking sites like booking.com agoda etc they have this set up. No company, just staff. Though all staff are Thai