Businessman With Washington Ties Feared Kidnapped In Thailand

webfact

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An inflammatory post towards Americans has been removed as well as the replies.

good job, thx

( sorry, but I got mad at the hating basher )cowboy.gif

An easy way to reduce your blood pressure is to just report the post that violates our forum rules. Let us then take care of the member who did the inappropriate post. But please don't reply to these posts. It makes our job harder as we'll have to remove your reply also. Hope you understand.

The report button is at the bottom of every post!!

wai2.gif

Ive always said the safest place in Thailand is Bangkok(been here since 1999) never had a problem.

Foreigners who start fiddling around with Thai' co's, businesses and women in the provinces are just asking for it.

Many of them drop off the grid without sign or word. This story is the exception because foreigners are kicking up a fuss.

Cops couldnt care less.

Another farang will disappear 'up country' before the day is out.

• Like 1

Well I think of washington State - although Whidbey Island man, is more exact.

have no idea what the State Department can do on Thailand's turf. The State Department isn't exactly Seal Team 6.

They can make it public, forcing the men in brown to at least go threw the motions. Publicity and potential face loss are about the only thing that will get some movement, what good that might be now is debatable. Otherwise its the usual, ignore it and maybe it will go away.

"ongoing quest must be to assure that he isn't worth more dead than alive"

That is a gem of wisdom... There are a lot of expats with their Thai wives aka opportunist employees.

So few seem concerned about having their oatmeal poisoned etc when the guy is old and the wife would like the assets to herself.

Or a greedy family member looking to help improve the families situation. Having a Will leaving them additional wealth after the house and car.. That's like putting an invisible bounty on your death.

Heads up

Agreed... Tell your loving Thai wife/girlfriend that every month you received a fixed sum of money every month from an account back in your home country. Then tell her if you died, the money will cease instantly. By this system you will live a long and happy life here...

Hard to know with limited facts , but it looks like a unhappy girlfriend being cut off from the gravy train. From the Seattle newspaper Kirotv.com story.

"His ex-girlfriend had been threatening him for a long time Sims said."

Jeesus... Some people are just amazing. Why would you live with someone in a country where you have to take these measures to have a relationship?

Treat your partner with love and respect and enjoy your life, work's for me.

you're new here i see.........

Just as new as yourself I see. For myself I have to agree with Wat dee

Nick could be opening a can of worms with the gf being the majority shareholder in a company and his house.

All of which is not quite right in the nominee stakes.

She seems to have the upper hand unfortunately and could easily get the cops on side with a few baht or a promise.

An inflammatory post towards Americans has been removed as well as the replies.

good job, thx

( sorry, but I got mad at the hating basher )cowboy.gif

An easy way to reduce your blood pressure is to just report the post that violates our forum rules. Let us then take care of the member who did the inappropriate post. But please don't reply to these posts. It makes our job harder as we'll have to remove your reply also. Hope you understand.

The report button is at the bottom of every post!!

wai2.gif

Is this irony ??? It was deesamui's inflammatory post about Americans that got deleted.... Can he report himself ?? :-)

Many men here live happy and wonderful lives with their Thai wives/girlfriends. Many men have turned over their assets to their Thai wives/girlfriends and have come to financial and personal grief over that action. So to me it just pays to be careful and be prepared for the worst that can happen.

I just watched the torrent file documentary My Thai Bride , which showed just how wrong things can go.

So have some common sense here to avoid trouble. And don't do anything here that you would not do back home. I can't think of a single person I know back in the states who bought a house for his girlfriend... :-)

I would like to know more details and how he is involved in this, kitchen cabinet and woodworking factory?

How does an American manage to acquire permission and permits to own such a factory in Thailand?

Could he have used his Thai girlfriend of any of her associates as upfront names for the running and owning of businesses in Pattaya?

What role does Harvey Sims, Springer’s business partner in Thailand have in this and what sort of business are they involved in?

All I am trying to do is look for motives and what sort of people these business partners are involved with?

Americans have the Treaty of Amity & Economic Relations to use in Thailand. This Treaty allows Americans to own and operate their own Company here in Thailand. Either as a Major Shareholder or Wholly owning this Company. Therefore engade in same Business on same basis as Thai National. Any more questions?

• Like 1

Whose house is it?

Does he have a lawyer in Pattaya?

What part does she play in the business venture?

Does he still have his bank cards on his person?

Can you take him to the hospital for a test on the drug you mentioned?

What are the police doing about the abduction of him?

So many questions need answering but this thai lady seems very clever or as per usual just plain brazen in the face of the law

Nick's house.

Nick has a lawyer in Pattaya.

Unknown but assumed to be a Thai nominee.

Unknown.

Initial doctor visit said 2 weeks for blood results and Nick wanted to seek better and faster care but has not been able to as of yet.

Police are currently conducting "investigation".

How does Nick own a house in Thailand ? Americans can own 100% of certain companies, but can not own a house like any other foreigner.

Maybe by house he though condo...

Using Treaty of Amity, An American Corporation can wholly own (in Corporation Name...) Property etc. House, Land... here in Thailand. Thus if owner of Corporation is American in in this case would be not ownly the owner of said Company... but anything wholley owned by sad Company.

Edited by davidstipek

Using Treaty of Amity, An American Corporation can wholly own (in Corporation Name...) Property etc. House, Land... here in Thailand. Thus if owner of Corporation is American in in this case would be not ownly the owner of said Company... but anything wholley owned by sad Company.

Wrong !!

http://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/US-Thai%20Amity.php

While the Thailand Treaty of Amity provides the abovementioned

advantages, the US citizen is also sublinejected to several restrictions

stipulated in the treaty. The Thailand Treaty of Amity limits American investors

to engage in the following reserved activities:

dot2.gif

Communications

dot2.gif

Transportation;

dot2.gif Fiduciary

functions

dot2.gif Banking

involving depository functions;

dot2.gif Land

Ownership, Exploitation of land or

dot2.gif Other

natural resources; and

dot2.gif Domestic

trade in indigenous agricultural products.

Edited by jbrain

Nick is requesting that detailed information regarding the current legal proceedings and status of himself and his ex-gf remain private until a complete dissolution of his connection to her.

The initial thrust of this PR attempt was to raise the alarm and cast light on the situation in order that it not go quietly unnoticed.

Our belief is that we saved Nick's life through our quick and loud reporting of events as they occurred.

I can state that:

Nick returned home on Wednesday afternoon and had a list of important business matters to attend to, phone calls to make, emails to send, etc...

But by early evening he said he felt so de-energized that he just wanted to sleep.

He doesn't drink to excess nor consume drugs and he said that he had never felt like that before in his life.

His last memory was of being stood up from his bed by his GF and her "uncle" and taken to her waiting car.

The next 2 days are a blank.

Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia".

Our belief is Nick was not taken on a scenic drive to photograph the lush jungle on the Thai/Cambodian border rather he was probably slated to never be seen again.

However our vocal and timely intervention, breaking into his house to retrieve evidence, documents and ensure he, himself wasn't on the premises and thus summoning the police (via his gf's sister to report that we had broken in who also contacted the gf and alerted her to the situation) probably threw a monkey-wrench in her plans to secretly and silently make him disappear.

The gf's story after changing several times then stated that Nick was with her, in fine health and didn't want to speak with anyone (including police) but that she and him would return the following morning.

Myself and Harvey waited from 6am to around 8:30am for her to arrive at the time she indicated she would but she eventually showed up around 10-11am at which point Harvey was contacted and the events of yesterday unfolded.

I would like to say that she has been charged and is in custody for the crime (drugging, kidnapping) but alas it is not the case.

Edited by Nam Plah

Nick is requesting that detailed information regarding the current legal proceedings and status of himself and his ex-gf remain private until a complete dissolution of his connection to her.

The initial thrust of this PR attempt was to raise the alarm and cast light on the situation in order that it not go quietly unnoticed.

Our belief is that we saved Nick's life through our quick and loud reporting of events as they occurred.

I can state that:

Nick returned home on Wednesday afternoon and had a list of important business matters to attend to, phone calls to make, emails to send, etc...

But by early evening he said he felt so de-energized that he just wanted to sleep.

He doesn't drink to excess nor consume drugs and he said that he had never felt like that before in his life.

His last memory was of being stood up from his bed by his GF and her "uncle" and taken to her waiting car.

Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia".

Our belief is Nick was not taken on a scenic drive to photograph the lush jungle on the Thai/Cambodian border rather he was probably slated to never be seen again.

However our vocal and timely intervention, breaking into his house to retrieve evidence, documents and ensure he, himself wasn't on the premises and thus summoning the police (via his gf's sister to report that we had broken in who also contacted the gf and alerted her to the situation) probably threw a monkey-wrench in her plans to secretly and silently make him disappear.

The gf's story after changing several times then stated that Nick was with her, in fine health and didn't want to speak with anyone (including police) but that she and him would return the following morning.

Myself and Harvey waited from 6am to around 8:30am for her to arrive at the time she indicated she would but she eventually showed up around 10-11am at which point Harvey was contacted and the events of yesterday unfolded.

I would like to say that she has been charged and is in custody for the crime (drugging, kidnapping) but alas it is not the case.

Nam Plah This story is starting to read like a soap opera. Realy!. It seams more like a domestic dispute rather than a (drugging, kidnapping) There are conflicts in your reporting like, Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia". But earlier stated "We think that Nick has been dosed with a hypnotic as he appears lucid but has no memory of the past 3 days (he may still be operating under the effects of some drug)." You also stated that the US Dept of State and Diplomatic Services were involved. What happened to them ? I'm sure if there were some criminal activity they still would be involved, You thanked all the local authorities for their support in helping in the return of your friend Nick yet they do not seem to be supporting Nick now? Sorry to state it like this but this story is very strange indeed.

• Like 2

I can state that:

Nam Plah This story is starting to read like a soap opera. Realy!. It seams more like a domestic dispute rather than a (drugging, kidnapping) There are conflicts in your reporting like, Upon returning to Pattaya yesterday he began to regain his senses and at some point snatched his (ex) GF mobile away and checked her sms list finding a generic mobile service provider alert stating "Welcome To Cambodia". But earlier stated "We think that Nick has been dosed with a hypnotic as he appears lucid but has no memory of the past 3 days (he may still be operating under the effects of some drug)." You also stated that the US Dept of State and Diplomatic Services were involved. What happened to them ? I'm sure if there were some criminal activity they still would be involved, You thanked all the local authorities for their support in helping in the return of your friend Nick yet they do not seem to be supporting Nick now? Sorry to state it like this but this story is very strange indeed.

It also reads like that he's back with his ex-GF where before was said that he was not even allowed in the house.

• Like 1

I can state that:

Firstly, if there appear to be inconsistencies or confusion in my reporting it is because the situation is ongoing and unresolved.

I have attempted to report exactly what I know, when I know it and nothing more.

Any editorializing or opinions stem from posters outside of the affair.

Thanking the authorities is simply good form, and did not intimate that the ongoing problem was resolved but to note that Nick was returned alive and to thank all who became involved in serving that end.

Any ex-pat with more than a cursory awareness of the state of criminal activity and the law enforcement procedures in Thailand will understand that this is not a resolved matter and not simply a "domestic disturbance".

The entire thrust of my posting here has been to raise the alarm, become a thorn in the side of those who would otherwise ignore the case and ultimately in Nick's friends' opinion help to locate Nick and possibly save his life.

Yes, the US Diplomatic Services and Consular Attache are aware and involved.

Any speculation on the veracity or validity of any information that I have posted herein is the responsibility of the reader and if you think that I have nothing better to do than fabricate this story to some other end than helping my friend then you need to reexamine your own motivations.

If he remembers standing up with gf and uncle by the bed, does he remember having anything to drink prior to this at the house?

A friend of mine was drugged and left for dead in a hotel for several days. He does not remember much after the drinks in a bar where he was drugged, yet the hotel has video of him entering the hotel walking on his own with a male and a female. His hotel was cleaned out, and safe opened, they convinced him to open his safe for them.

He tested positive later for that drug rohypnol I think it was.

If he remembers standing up with gf and uncle by the bed, does he remember having anything to drink prior to this at the house?

A friend of mine was drugged and left for dead in a hotel for several days. He does not remember much after the drinks in a bar where he was drugged, yet the hotel has video of him entering the hotel walking on his own with a male and a female. His hotel was cleaned out, and safe opened, they convinced him to open his safe for them.

He tested positive later for that drug rohypnol I think it was.

I won't speculate on the variety of intoxicants that can be administered to achieve the effects reported but to say that Nick is currently undergoing a medical examination at a local Pattaya hospital including a toxicology screen.

• Like 1

I can state that:

Firstly, if there appear to be inconsistencies or confusion in my reporting it is because the situation is ongoing and unresolved.

I have attempted to report exactly what I know, when I know it and nothing more.

Any editorializing or opinions stem from posters outside of the affair.

Thanking the authorities is simply good form, and did not intimate that the ongoing problem was resolved but to note that Nick was returned alive and to thank all who became involved in serving that end.

Any ex-pat with more than a cursory awareness of the state of criminal activity and the law enforcement procedures in Thailand will understand that this is not a resolved matter and not simply a "domestic disturbance".

The entire thrust of my posting here has been to raise the alarm, become a thorn in the side of those who would otherwise ignore the case and ultimately in Nick's friends' opinion help to locate Nick and possibly save his life.

Yes, the US Diplomatic Services and Consular Attache are aware and involved.

Any speculation on the veracity or validity of any information that I have posted herein is the responsibility of the reader and if you think that I have nothing better to do than fabricate this story to some other end than helping my friend then you need to reexamine your own motivations.

I have no reason nor need to examine my own motivations! I was courteously stating how I was reading your posts regarding your reporting of what had conspired regarding your friend Nick nor have I relayed my thoughts on what other posters have stated. I take responsibilty for any speculation that I may take from the information that has been posted! As for yourself I dont know you from a bar of soap and would not know what tickles your fancy!

• Like 1

Now that Nick is found I see no point in continuing this public discourse.
Especially in light of the fact that nothing productive can be gained through debating or dissecting what I have written.

If anyone is TRULY interested in the well-being and safety of our friend I suggest you contact the US Embassy, the local media or the local authorities yourself and inquire through official channels.

Thank you again for your interest and support and I hope that should you ever find yourself in a similar predicament that you have friends who will step up to the challenge.

• Like 1

Now that Nick is found I see no point in continuing this public discourse.

Especially in light of the fact that nothing productive can be gained through debating or dissecting what I have written.

If anyone is TRULY interested in the well-being and safety of our friend I suggest you contact the US Embassy, the local media or the local authorities yourself and inquire through official channels.

Thank you again for your interest and support and I hope that should you ever find yourself in a similar predicament that you have friends who will step up to the challenge.

NO way.

Appears that a lot of weird stuff has been going down here and no, I have no interested or would never want to become involved.

If this is a true story and only the names have been changed to protect maybe the not so innocent, then I strongly suggest that if your Nick wants to remain in good Nick, then he would be wise to return back to the States, as it appears there are people involved here who are into things that are way above they`re heads. And especially in Pattaya, the city where many farangs have met with misfortunes and brutal ends.

Who really knows what`s involved here? And who really want`s to know, is the question?

This is just so common - only diff to another guys case is that he hasn't been kidnapped.

Chanote was with lawyer - based on her previous behaviour. She went to police & reported chanote lost - took lost report to Lands dep & got new chanote. Sold house (contravening marriage laws - legally married)

Case now before the beak, chance DOJ will recognised fraudulently obtained docs, then sold illegally. Guy will be w/o house, after losing another house (investment) and car to her.

Congrats to Nam Plah & TV for prompt action re OP. Pls keep us posted. What does Nick need now?

• Like 1

Why are you so concerned about convincing a lot of total anonymous strangers on an open public forum?

I have no idea what you lot are involved in and personally, I don`t want to know, but whatever it is, it could conclude with someone getting murdered.

If as you believe, there has been an attempt on this guy`s life and the said person is in serious danger and risk, than the obvious next move is to get out of Thailand until whatever is going on is resolved.

You have been warned and how you continue your activities here is at your own risk and discretion.

Why are you so concerned about convincing a lot of total anonymous strangers on an open public forum?

I have no idea what you lot are involved in and personally, I don`t want to know, but whatever it is, it could conclude with someone getting murdered.

If as you believe, there has been an attempt on this guy`s life and the said person is in serious danger and risk, than the obvious next move is to get out of Thailand until whatever is going on is resolved.

You have been warned and how you continue your activities here is at your own risk and discretion.

I imagine if he gets out of thailand nothing will get resolved, Maybe as long as this case stays in the limelight he,s safe and the ex gf will be charged with the crime.

You have no idea, don't want to know and yet are offering an opinion and advice.

Is your last sentence directed at me personally or at Nick for continuing to stay in Thailand?

I recall reading a story a few years back in the Pattaya press about a farang who took a lethal bullet to the head while riding his motorbike in Pattaya from the pinion rider on another motorbike, in broad daylight. Police surmised it may have been related to a land dispute he was having with an ex-gf. Ya think? Beware of conflicts in LOS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have no idea, don't want to know and yet are offering an opinion and advice.

Is your last sentence directed at me personally or at Nick for continuing to stay in Thailand?

I am saying that I don`t want to know your business here in Thailand, but if lives are in danger, then go somewhere out of harms way, and if you are also involved with this, then my advice also pertains to you, especially considering you`re in Pattaya.

And again I say; whatever you do here, you do at your own risk and discretion. You have to use your common sense. I would say the same to anyway in a similar situation, even if it was a close friend or member of my family.

My son is a policeman here in Chiang Mai, I have lived here over 30 years and what I tell you is good advice, showing genuine concern for this guy`s safety because I know the score here.

How else would you like me to explain this?

Will be interesting to hear about the results of the toxicology.

It's interesting he was seen to have motor skills in a video. He was apparently drugged for quite some hours.

Then he needs to be hospitalized? Perhaps its was a cocktail of drugs with periodic doses. Doesn't just sound like GHB and some alcohol.

Strange tale for sure.